PDA

View Full Version : Nicks-best WR postseason performance of all time?

giantsfan420
03-10-2012, 04:21 AM
Well couldn't sleep tonight, and got into watching a bunch of Giants highlights for the SuperBowl run...

I got to say, one of the greatest postseason runs of all time. 2 td's vs Atlanta, both excellent plays especially the catch and run. and it wasn't isolated to those two plays. He was a beast the entire game.

2 td's vs GB and somehow he topped the Atlanta performance. The catch and run TD was simply amazing, if there was a word more endearing than that, that'd be the word I;d use to describe it. we may have to create a whole new word to describe his play that day. the hail mary grab, again, worthy of creating new words to describe it. Plus, like Atlanta, his performance wasn't restricted to those two plays, he was a beast all game.

Vs SF, he had a pretty good game, but you could tell SF was going absolutely out of their way to contain him, and he also was playing hurt.

But the SB performance could have been the best game of the entire run. Granted he didn't have any touchdowns, but NE was double teaming him the entire game with the safeties rolled over to him, and he still had 10 catches for over 110 yards. HUGE, clutch 3rd down grabs. was dominant the entire game. he made some amazing acrobatic grabs, and had only one minor setback when he put the ball on the carpet but it was recovered so didn't hurt us.

i cannot think of a WR having a better postseason. And i'm not thinking from a homer viewpoint, i'm trying to be objective. Nicks just matter of factually, honestly had the greatest playoff run of any WR in the history of the game...anyone think of a wr who somehow did better?

miked1958
03-10-2012, 04:29 AM
Well couldn't sleep tonight, and got into watching a bunch of Giants highlights for the SuperBowl run...

I got to say, one of the greatest postseason runs of all time. 2 td's vs Atlanta, both excellent plays especially the catch and run. and it wasn't isolated to those two plays. He was a beast the entire game.

2 td's vs GB and somehow he topped the Atlanta performance. The catch and run TD was simply amazing, if there was a word more endearing than that, that'd be the word I;d use to describe it. we may have to create a whole new word to describe his play that day. the hail mary grab, again, worthy of creating new words to describe it. Plus, like Atlanta, his performance wasn't restricted to those two plays, he was a beast all game.

Vs SF, he had a pretty good game, but you could tell SF was going absolutely out of their way to contain him, and he also was playing hurt.

But the SB performance could have been the best game of the entire run. Granted he didn't have any touchdowns, but NE was double teaming him the entire game with the safeties rolled over to him, and he still had 10 catches for over 110 yards. HUGE, clutch 3rd down grabs. was dominant the entire game. he made some amazing acrobatic grabs, and had only one minor setback when he put the ball on the carpet but it was recovered so didn't hurt us.

i cannot think of a WR having a better postseason. And i'm not thinking from a homer viewpoint, i'm trying to be objective. Nicks just matter of factually, honestly had the greatest playoff run of any WR in the history of the game...anyone think of a wr who somehow did better?
I agree. But Mario had a pretty good one to

giantsfan420
03-10-2012, 04:35 AM

oh I def. agree about MM having a stellar postseason. td's vs atl, gb, and SF and the SF was huge...but all his td's were, imho, a result of eli throwing it perfectly. you couldn't walk the ball and give it to the wr better than elis throws. even the huge catch in the SB, that was a perfectly thrown ball. absolutely perfect.

whereas, nicks, he was just DOMINANT. TWO catch and run td's of 60 yards plus, in combination with amazing displays of athleticism and consistency...taking nothing away from MM, but Nicks was on a completely better level.

ralphpal
03-10-2012, 05:27 AM
different eras now with all this wide open passing games . it just going to get worst with bounty gate .
maybe it is but for my money no one was more clutch in the post season then Lynn Swan

Tommy_Ribs
03-10-2012, 07:12 AM
Nicks was huge for us, no doubt.

Best ever post season? That's hard to tell, but he is a special talent.

In all honesty he was a guy I wanted and a lot of people on the boards wanted and when he fell to us in the draft and Goodell was walking up to the podium I was like: Hakeem Nicks, Hakeem Nicks, pick Hakeem Nicks. Then Goodell announced the pick and I jumped up in the air. My wife was like, OK, OK, Calm down.

bLuereverie
03-10-2012, 07:24 AM
What were Fitzy's numbers from 'Zona's run? He was absolutely insane that year. I believe he broke some Jerry Rice records.

nhpgiantsfan
03-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Plax's performance in -10 degree weather in GB in 2007 might be the best WR performance I have seen. He destroyed Al Harris.

bLuereverie
03-10-2012, 07:34 AM
2008 season postseason
Fitzgerald 30rec / 546yards / 18.2yard avg / 136.5ypg / 7TD

2011 season postseason
Nicks 28rec / 444yards / 15.9yard avg / 111ypg / 4TD / [b]1 big shiny trophy[b]

ThaBigSki
03-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Nicks was a beast, but Fitzgerald had the best WR postseason a few years ago. He was insane.

bansaw
03-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Jerry Rice has had a couple huge playoffs

bLuereverie
03-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Jerry Rice has had a couple huge playoffs

I remember 89 being huge, then him following it up with another great postseason. My dad was a huge 9er fan and always took the opportunity to rub it in my face.

Morehead State
03-10-2012, 08:36 AM
Nicks was huge for us, no doubt.

Best ever post season? That's hard to tell, but he is a special talent.

In all honesty he was a guy I wanted and a lot of people on the boards wanted and when he fell to us in the draft and Goodell was walking up to the podium I was like: Hakeem Nicks, Hakeem Nicks, pick Hakeem Nicks. Then Goodell announced the pick and I jumped up in the air. My wife was like, OK, OK, Calm down.
</P>

Just off the top of my head...I remember Steve Smith killing it in 05.</P>

Neverend
03-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Nicks just went in fitzgreald and jerry rice territory in terms of postseason numbers

And he's right up there in the NFL history in touchdowns scored in first 3 seasons

I just wish this guy gets more credit than he does

giantsfan420
03-10-2012, 08:59 AM
wow. fitzgerald had an amazing run himself in 08.

but no trophy. that makes the discussion even more debatable. while fitz had the better numbers across the board by a little, does the Giants winning it all tip the scale in Nicks favor?

Flip Empty
03-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Huh, the Cards finished that season 9-7 just like the Giants last year. They also faced the same divisions and beat the Falcons in the first week of the playoffs. That's where the similarities end, obviously.

Anyway, if we're basing this on performance then Fitz trumps Nicks. Still am extremely impressive run from Nicks though.

It's funny, Nicks has got to be one of the most underrated big-time wrs. He's rarely mentioned among the elite at his position but he should be.

TheEnigma
03-10-2012, 09:49 AM
The only thing holding back Nicks from receiving more national attention is his injuries that keep him out of a few games. He had 1,052 yards and 11 TD's in 2010 in 13 games played. It's not hard to imagine he would of broke the 1300 yard mark and probably would of made the Pro Bowl then.

He was already a top 5 WR in my book before this postseason and only solidified it with his performance in that championship run. He'll probably never be #1 though because he doesn't have the insane physical tools like Megatron but I'm fine with him now :)

Axels15
03-10-2012, 09:51 AM
All I gotta say is, thank god the Raiders went nuts and picked DHB.

Cause the Giants wanted him also...

Love Nicks

Moss#83
03-10-2012, 10:26 AM

but no trophy. that makes the discussion even more debatable. while fitz had the better numbers across the board by a little, does the Giants winning it all tip the scale in Nicks favor?lol you gotta be kidding me. Nicks had a terrific playoff run but fitz has him beat in every single category. Nothing tips the scale in nicks favor if fitz put up better numbers across the board.

giantsfan420
03-10-2012, 10:35 AM

but no trophy. that makes the discussion even more debatable. while fitz had the better numbers across the board by a little, does the Giants winning it all tip the scale in Nicks favor?lol you gotta be kidding me. Nicks had a terrific playoff run but fitz has him beat in every single category. Nothing tips the scale in nicks favor if fitz put up better numbers across the board.

eh i dont know bout that. in the context of both, nicks imho was still more impressive. the cards had boldin, true. but he didn't receive the attention from opposing defenses that cruz did. then u factor in MM. so nicks did all that with 2 other extremely talented wr's. plus, the TD's Nicks had were more impressive than the ones Fitz scored. the two catch and runs were better than any TD fitz had that post season, and the hail mary was unreal...how many hail mary's have u seen go for touchdowns in the playoffs???? that could have been the first one ever or if not ever, like 50 years...100 yards more receiving and a few more receptions isn't such a disparity that one can clearly go "no way nicks performance was close to Fitz's performance"...

TooEasy
03-10-2012, 10:39 AM
I've never seen a WR be as dominant as Fitz was that year.

He was the whole offence and NOBODY could stop him. Including the Steelers.

Diamondring
03-10-2012, 10:46 AM

oh I def. agree about MM having a stellar postseason. td's vs atl, gb, and SF and the SF was huge...but all his td's were, imho, a result of eli throwing it perfectly. you couldn't walk the ball and give it to the wr better than elis throws. even the huge catch in the SB, that was a perfectly thrown ball. absolutely perfect.

whereas, nicks, he was just DOMINANT. TWO catch and run td's of 60 yards plus, in combination with amazing displays of athleticism and consistency...taking nothing away from MM, but Nicks was on a completely better level.Mario still had to be open inorder for Eli to throw the ball to him. Angles are important to football.

appletree943
03-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Goes to Fitzgerald

2008 was his postseason and topped it off with that 64 Yard Catch and Score that everybody who wasnt a Steelers fan jumped up for lol

truebluefanatic
03-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Yes. Amazing in the playoffs. Hes one of the NFLs best WRs right now.

nhpgiantsfan
03-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Fitzgerald was better. The championship is a non factor here because you are comparing individual performances not team performances. Four TD's in the post season is good but 7 is great. Not taking anything away from Nicks, he is a beast.

YATittle1962
03-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Plax's performance in -10 degree weather in GB in 2007 might be the best WR performance I have seen. He destroyed Al Harris.

I would argue that Cruz performance against the 49ers was equally as dominant if not more dominant

he completely undressed Carlos Rogers (pro bowler) all night

embarrassed him basically

allentown PA
03-10-2012, 08:39 PM

I would argue that Cruz performance against the 49ers was equally as dominant if not more dominant

agreed and you factor in that the niners defense was much better than the packers of 07.

allentown PA
03-10-2012, 09:26 PM
nicks was basically double teamed all year and you saw how cruz blew up because of that...when teams gave cruz more attention nicks abused them, they guy can do it all, go over the middle, run after the catch, beat you deep with speed and is a redzone matchup nightmare for teams...sky is the limit for this kid imo.

KidA
03-10-2012, 09:50 PM

agreed and you factor in that the niners defense was much better than the packers of 07.

Burress' performance that night was one of the most impressive displays that I've ever seen by a wide receiver. 11 catches for 154 yards in the NFC Championship Game on a brutally cold day. He absolutely took over in that game.

allentown PA
03-10-2012, 09:53 PM

Burress' performance that night was one of the most impressive displays that I've ever seen by a wide receiver.* 11 catches for 154 yards in the NFC Championship Game on a brutally cold day.* He absolutely took over in that game.

agreed..not taking anything away from plax he was great that night...but cruz was every bit as impressive against a much better defense imo.

giantsfan39
03-10-2012, 11:50 PM

but no trophy. that makes the discussion even more debatable. while fitz had the better numbers across the board by a little, does the Giants winning it all tip the scale in Nicks favor?

No. Why would it? The Cards didn't lose the SB because of Fitz. Fitz wins this by wide margin. More yards and 3 more TDs.

FeaglesPuntsEaglesRunts
03-11-2012, 12:11 AM
I was gonna mention Jerry Rice but looks like a ton of people beat me to it.

Plaxico had a really good run in '07, there's Larry Fitzgerald like everyone mentioned, also Michael Irvin and Randy Moss are up there.

Vtgmenfan89
03-12-2012, 11:20 AM
different eras now with all this wide open passing games . it just going to get worst with bounty gate .
maybe it is but for my money no one was more clutch in the post season then Lynn Swan

+1 way to respect the history of the game.

However I was very happy with Nicks this postseason. After his first two season with us I knew he was going to be a huge postseason performer. I just got that sense from his physical play and the more physical players/teams are more often than not the ones that succeed in the postseason. Unless you're the Pats and just coast into the super bowl with probably the easiest schedule in NFL history and a kicker missing a chip shot, haha I love telling that to Pats fans. But anyways I hope Nicks and Cruz can stay Giants together for a long time and be our Wayne-Harrison combo with Eli through his prime.

I LOVE this team we have and I knew they were capable of big things all year, thanks Reese!!! Keep it together best you can this offseason!

davecrazy
03-13-2012, 09:37 AM
Yeah, it really takes away from Fitzgeralds case because whiffed on the sack and simultaneously blew that coverage against Holmes and let him score that game winning TD.