PDA

View Full Version : To everyone happy the Giants cut Jacobs because he was getting too much money

Odan
03-10-2012, 06:14 AM
According to what has been reported, he was willing to take a pay cut from 5 million to 2 million a year, the Giants were willing to only offer a 1.5 million contract with incentives. Just to clear that up.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/03/giants_release_brandon_jacobs.html

Anyways, $500,000 seems kind of petty on the front office, considering what Jacobs brought to the table physically, and Bradshaw's lack of durability.

bigjeep
03-10-2012, 07:08 AM
According to what has been reported, he was willing to take a pay cut from 5 million to 2 million a year, the Giants were willing to only offer a 1.5 million contract with incentives. Just to clear that up.

Anyways, $500,000 seems kind of petty on the front office, considering what Jacobs brought to the table physically, and Bradshaw's lack of durability.

Fact is, they never wanted him back. They are going in a different direction. Its the business side of the game. Players come and go, but the Ginats will always be here for us!

GMENAGAIN
03-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Don't know why anyone would be "happy" about BJ leaving . . . he provided some great Giants moments and was a big part of 2 championship teams. From a business perspective, it was probably time for him to go, but that doesn't mean that anyone should be "happy" about it.</P>

I got on him for his big mouth and his inability to convert short yardage situations, but he will be remembered as a good, tough Giant . . . .</P>

bLuereverie
03-10-2012, 08:14 AM
I can never put 500k and petty in the same sentence.

Gimaniac
03-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Hard to criticize Reese, but BJ was worth $2M.

He had a big mouth, but when he trashed Rex Ryan after beating the Jets, that was vintage BJ. Hard to replace.

Flip Empty
03-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Petty? 500k buys Victor Cruz.

hungrrrry
03-10-2012, 09:17 AM

this is not a personal attack on jacobs from the FO and not even the fans...the general consensus is that he was preventing us to sign or retain players that can make an impact on our 2012 season and his numbers over the last 2 seasons did not justify Brandons cause. He is a player with declining skills, with just enough fire in his belly to make a few decent plays but nothing consistant and we need consistancy at RB, LB, TE and OL...its the team we root for ultimately, not the player

barran21
03-10-2012, 09:24 AM
I am gonna miss Brandon, his legs are gone but he was better than AB when he came to picking up the blitz...

netplus
03-10-2012, 09:58 AM
He is a player with declining skills, with just enough fire in his belly to make a few decent plays but nothing consistant and we need consistancy at RB, LB, TE and OL...its the team we root for ultimately, not the player

When given the carries, he produced. 12/11 at Dallas, which started the 8 game winning streak, he had 19 carries for 101 yards and 2 TD's. Who else on the free agent market is going to give you that performance for 2 million, not to mention his intangibles? Stupid move by the front office not resigning him for 2 million. Yet they pay mediocre Baas 27 million for 5 years, mediocre Canty 42 million for 6 years, and mediocre Rolle 37 million for 5 years.

MikeIsaGiant
03-10-2012, 10:01 AM
He left on good terms, I'm happy/nothappy that's gone.

I love BJ (see what i did there) and hope he does well somewhere else

SweetZombieJesus
03-10-2012, 10:09 AM

Seems equally petty of Jacobs considering he couldn't pick up a 3rd and 1 to save his life. He'd move down $3,000,000 but not $3,500,000.

He's finished, move on. He will be remembered fondly (including by me) but he was long past his peak and RBs are a dime a dozen.

radar-ray
03-10-2012, 10:12 AM
He is a player with declining skills, with just enough fire in his belly to make a few decent plays but nothing consistant and we need consistancy at RB, LB, TE and OL...its the team we root for ultimately, not the player

When given the carries, he produced. 12/11 at Dallas, which started the 8 game winning streak, he had 19 carries for 101 yards and 2 TD's. Who else on the free agent market is going to give you that performance, not to mention his intangibles? Stupid move by the front office not resigning him for 2 million. Yet they pay mediocre Baas 27 million for 5 years, mediocre Canty 42 million for 6 years, and mediocre Rolle 37 million for 5 years. Plus 1. The only thing that declined was the OL, witness BJ and AB's ypc avg. the previous year and this year. I suspect the reason Brandon didn't accept the 1.5 mil with incentives, is that KG under utilizes him and he would not get enough carries/playing time to reach those incentives. There will be many teams willing to pay 2 mil for a unique back like BJ.

Diamondring
03-10-2012, 10:40 AM

When given the carries, he produced. 12/11 at Dallas, which started the 8 game winning streak, he had 19 carries for 101 yards and 2 TD's. Who else on the free agent market is going to give you that performance for 2 million, not to mention his intangibles? Stupid move by the front office not resigning him for 2 million. Yet they pay mediocre Baas 27 million for 5 years, mediocre Canty 42 million for 6 years, and mediocre Rolle 37 million for 5 years.Players get contracts for certain years so you don't know what you are going to get so how they know those players you mentioned were not going to be outstanding?

Harlem2va
03-10-2012, 10:40 AM
You couldn't have put it better, Jacobs was the emotional leader on offensive. When he pancaked a player the Defensive got fired up the team got fired up. But I don't think the difference was 500K. According to everything I read and heard there was a big gap between the Giants and Jacobs. You know the organization is not going to lose him over 500k. I would ask Canty , Rolle and Baas to take a pay cut or Bye Bye!!

giantsforce
03-10-2012, 12:11 PM
I am gonna miss Brandon, his legs are gone but he was better than AB when he came to picking up the blitz...
How true. He was an outstanding blocker and even though he couldn't pick up as many yards as when he was younger, he still delivered punishing hits to the defenders. He was a victim of the salary cap but he is a true Giant. Will never forget when he carried the SB trophy around the stadium so the fans can see it and touch it up close. It is sad that he had to go, but now it is time to make room for the young ones to see what they can do.

NYCDBS
03-10-2012, 02:14 PM
What's interesting to me is that when players perform well and hold out for bigger contracts fans get hot under the collar and tell them to shut up and play... Now look at Jacobs he signed a contract that should have paid him 5 million next year but he's not performing like the same player when he signed the contract so first he's asked to renegotiate his contract and then he's cut... Terrible double standard. Ownership should show some loyalty to this guy, if they were only 500k apart they should have made it happen.

RagTime Blue
03-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Contrary to popular belief, you don't negotiate contracts with players, based on what they've done.

You negotiate based on what you think they'll do.

If you notice, Reese doesn't sign FA's who are in their 30's. . .he gets guys on the upside.

BigBlue1971
03-10-2012, 03:06 PM
actually Jacobs knew even before the season was over he was gone! he said it himself!</P>

he alsoknows this is a sometimes "cutthroat businessand will leave on good terms. he was a terrific Giant.</P>

make even be back who knows????!!!!</P>

</P>

Harooni
03-10-2012, 03:54 PM
unless reese says this or BJ , i kinda of doubt it was over 500k difference

BeatYale
03-10-2012, 04:37 PM
When given the carries, he produced. 12/11 at Dallas, which started the 8 game winning streak, he had 19 carries for 101 yards and 2 TD's. Who else on the free agent market is going to give you that performance for 2 million, not to mention his intangibles? Stupid move by the front office not resigning him for 2 million. Yet they pay mediocre Baas 27 million for 5 years, mediocre Canty 42 million for 6 years, and mediocre Rolle 37 million for 5 years.

You're speaking in hindsight. You judge those contracts at the time they were made, not years later.

RB is one of the easiest positions to fill and develop.

Fans watch games on a side view angle, read and listen to Jacobs barking in the media. Teams have more resources than that to evaluate their players and if they feel he isn't worth more than 1.5m at this point then so be it. Time to move on.

FIFTY6G-MAN
03-10-2012, 08:31 PM
When given the carries, he produced. 12/11 at Dallas, which started the 8 game winning streak, he had 19 carries for 101 yards and 2 TD's. Who else on the free agent market is going to give you that performance for 2 million, not to mention his intangibles? Stupid move by the front office not resigning him for 2 million. Yet they pay mediocre Baas 27 million for 5 years, mediocre Canty 42 million for 6 years, and mediocre Rolle 37 million for 5 years. You're speaking in hindsight. You judge those contracts at the time they were made, not years later. RB is one of the easiest positions to fill and develop. Fans watch games on a side view angle, read and listen to Jacobs barking in the media. Teams have more resources than that to evaluate their players and if they feel he isn't worth more than 1.5m at this point then so be it. Time to move on.I am a major Jacobs cheerleader. He just happens to be a Giant team player and a positive force on this team. He restructured once for A.B. to return already. Yes he is under utilized for the kind of money for this upcoming season, however our Oline was putrid most games and had to be shuffled more than a deck of cards at a poker night.</P>

For those saying that 500,000.00 is not alot of money...oops on you. When your talking 2mil or 1.5 mil W/incentives and not being utilized enough, that is huge! thats 1/4 your pay out the window prior to taxes! I want B.J. back and he wouldgive this team a great performance this upcoming season IF we have an Oline that can actually run block! Both B.J's and A.B.'s numbers were down from last season because of this. I say "Pay the man that money" and keep him around for one more year. He BLEEDS BLUE. Just ask Rex Ryan!!!!!</P>

RoanokeFan
03-10-2012, 08:44 PM

Fact is, they never wanted him back. They are going in a different direction. Its the business side of the game. Players come and go, but the Ginats will always be here for us!

They wanted him back on their terms. It's a business and I hate to see him go, but I understand both positions.

radar-ray
03-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Yes, it was over 500,000, straight from BJ. That's chicken****!

Harooni
03-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Yes, it was over 500,000, straight from BJ. That's chicken****! there had to be more issues than, perhaps they didnt care for the way he started talking mid season about being a featured back. there was some grumblings from him ,if i remember. or maybe his age or condition. im thinking there was a big reason why 500k was an issue.

radar-ray
03-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Yes, it was over 500,000, straight from BJ. That's chicken****! there had to be more issues than, perhaps they didnt care for the way he started talking mid season about being a featured back.* there was some grumblings from him ,if i remember.* or maybe his age or condition.* im thinking there was a big reason why 500k was an issue.
JR is just a cut throat kind of guy. BJ's in much better shape than AB with yet another foot surgery! See TC's comments re: BJ's locker room attitude. We now have jack for stability at the RB position. Ware = 0!

jhamburg
03-11-2012, 12:51 AM
Yes, it was over 500,000, straight from BJ. That's chicken****! there had to be more issues than, perhaps they didnt care for the way he started talking mid season about being a featured back.* there was some grumblings from him ,if i remember.* or maybe his age or condition.* im thinking there was a big reason why 500k was an issue.

Yeah...what about the whole report about how Jacobs was "insulted" by the Giants offer. You're insulted by 1.5M but you'll gladly sign for 2M? Doesn't make sense.

the_fish62
03-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Don't know why anyone would be "happy" about BJ leaving . . . he provided some great Giants moments and was a big part of 2 championship teams.* From a business perspective, it was probably time for him to go, but that doesn't mean that anyone should be "happy" about it.</P>

I got on him for his big mouth and his inability to convert short yardage situations, but he will be remembered as a good, tough Giant . . . .</P>

He was a great giant I do agree, but after his huge pay day he started his career with dancing with the stars. Many of his dance partners where D linemen. I loved his threw 07' but now he is soft. Hey I would be too I guess all that weight getting hit day in and day out has to take its toll. Thanks for all the hard work BJ! You don't have to go home but you can't stay here.

JMFP2
03-11-2012, 01:17 AM
Prediction:</P>

By Week 12, Jacobs will be starting somewhere....and BJ Ware will be starting in place of a gimpy Bradshaw.</P>

blueomaha
03-11-2012, 01:29 AM
just my opinion...NYG low balled BJ...but i'm not the one handing out checks...just saying...

BlueSanta
03-11-2012, 01:54 AM

Your comments are a little misleading. He isnt looking for 2 million this year. He is looking for 2 million per year on a milti year deal.

How many players get that at 30 at the RB position? The Jets paid Ladianain Tomlinson a little under 3 mil when they signed him in 2010 at age 30, and he is a future HoF'er and was still far more productive than Jacobs has been of late. LTom had 271 touches in 2010 at age 30. Thats more than BJ has ever had in 1 season. He has averaged 160 touches the last 2 seasons.

I know its is sad to see guys we love leave, but he isnt a 2 mil a year back and senitment is not worth 500k, as you suggest.

radar-ray
03-11-2012, 10:55 AM

Yeah...what about the whole report about how Jacobs was "insulted" by the Giants offer. You're insulted by 1.5M but you'll gladly sign for 2M? Doesn't make sense.That's the media saying "insulted", read BJ's actual quotes re: the release, they were very appreciative and thankful of the opportunity the Giants have given him,to his coach, and to the Mara and Tisch family. 500K is a lot of $ to any individual. Your family comes first.

jomo
03-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Last year, we went throught this debate three timesregarding what a player is worth and what we are willing to pay him: Smith, Boss and Plax (don't call him Plex).</P>

By my count JR is 3 for 3 in this arena.</P>

Don't rule out the possibility that BJ will be back. Sometimes the market has to tell you what you are worth because your agent certainly won't.</P>

radar-ray
03-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Last year, we went throught this debate three times*regarding what a player is worth and what we are willing to pay him: Smith, Boss and Plax (don't call him Plex).</P>

Don't rule out the possibility that BJ will be back. Sometimes the market has to tell you what you are worth because your agent certainly won't.</P>Agree, he's 3 for 3 in this area.

Toadofsteel
03-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Last year, we went throught this debate three times*regarding what a player is worth and what we are willing to pay him: Smith, Boss and Plax (don't call him Plex).</P>

Don't rule out the possibility that BJ will be back. Sometimes the market has to tell you what you are worth because your agent certainly won't.</P>Agree, he's 3 for 3 in this area.

I still think Boss was just a cap casualty and I for one would love to have him back (especially now without any quality TE that are ready to play)... Plax and Smith I get though, also Tiki and Shockey.

I still give my trust to JR though, that he will get the job of assembling a competitive team done. None of us saw Cruz or JPP coming. In 2010 most of us wanted to lynch JR for even signing JPP. Maybe Da'Rel Scott will step his game up in 2012 and earn the #2 spot...