PDA

View Full Version : Pre game huddle? Short yardage? Hype man? Emotional leader? Big game performer?

NYG4lifeNYK
03-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Jacobs was a lot more than just a RB... there's a huge coid that needs to be filled that seems pretty silly not to sign him for only $500,000 more.

I realize $500,000 is a lot of money to sign draft picks or UDFA's(Cruz) but now what?

We had to replace Strahan as the vocal leader... it took awhile but Jacobs emerged into that voice in our locker room & sidelines. The passion he poured out every Sunday is not easily replaced.....

Jacobs also saved his best for big games.... Patriots games he absused them. GB, he absused them. Dallas? He DESTROYED them. Jets? He hit little brother in the mouth.

The thought of Bradshaw as of premier back is very unsettling... Jacobs set the tone & got our offense going....

gmen0820
03-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Jacobs was awful in short yardage.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-10-2012, 01:50 PM

All time rushing TD leader begs to differ.

Jacobs was unsuccessful on 3rd & 1 or 4th & 1 because EVERYONE knew he was running up the gut & the line never got any push. Often Jacobs would be met in the backfield by a blitz coming clean off the edge. They practically took the hand off with him at times...

It's tough to pick up any yardage when your linemen barely get any push let alone get pushed back the majority of the time.

gmen0820
03-10-2012, 01:52 PM

Jacobs was unsuccessful on 3rd & 1 or 4th & 1 because EVERYONE knew he was running up the gut & the line never got any push. Often Jacobs would be met in the backfield by a blitz coming clean off the edge. They practically took the hand off with him at times...

It's tough to pick up any yardage when your linemen barely get any push let alone get pushed back the majority of the time.
So you're proving my point that he didn't convert short down yardage consistently?

NYG4lifeNYK
03-10-2012, 01:55 PM

So you're proving my point that he didn't convert short down yardage consistently?

You make it seem like it's because of him.

If our line would get even the slightest push instead of getting pushed back he would of picked it up more times than not... for some reason our line never got much of a push. Also Gilbride was far too predictable allowing the defense to setup perfectly.

TheEnigma
03-10-2012, 01:57 PM
I'm not too worried about the emotional leader part since we still have Tuck and I could see guys like Cruz and possibly Mitch Petrus stepping up for us on offense.

Also, it's probably better for Jacobs himself to move on to another team since his play is so reliant on this offensive line playing great. Though I think he will return when the market doesn't give him what he wants.

gmen0820
03-10-2012, 02:01 PM

If our line would get even the slightest push instead of getting pushed back he would of picked it up more times than not... for some reason our line never got much of a push. Also Gilbride was far too predictable allowing the defense to setup perfectly.
And who can't convert short yardage with great blocking? Hardly an accomplishment.

I agree with everything else about Jacobs, but he was far from good in short yardage.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-10-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm not too worried about the emotional leader part since we still have Tuck and I could see guys like Cruz and possibly Mitch Petrus stepping up for us on offense.

Also, it's probably better for Jacobs himself to move on to another team since his play is so reliant on this offensive line playing great. Though I think he will return when the market doesn't give him what he wants.

Lol Petrus? Cruz is too mild mannered to be that role.

Tuck's pre game speech was great... gave me chills.

MikeIsaGiant
03-10-2012, 02:05 PM
players need to learn from example.

I expect players like JPP to step up and be vocal next year.

TheEnigma
03-10-2012, 02:11 PM

Petrus is an animal out there emotionally. If he can step up his play and contribute, it's not too far fetched to expect him to develop into a possible leader in a year or two. Cruz might be mild mannered in his interviews but have you seen him on the field after other teammates make plays or during the pre game warmups? He loves this team and I think he really wants to stay here.

I guess I'm not as worried as you because I'm banking on the fact Jacobs isn't going to find what he wants and I think he comes back for another year.

fourth&forever
03-10-2012, 02:15 PM

And who can't convert short yardage with great blocking? Hardly an accomplishment.

I agree with everything else about Jacobs, but he was far from good in short yardage.
+1 When the line gets no push, #44 can burrow forward. #27 cannot.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-10-2012, 02:23 PM

Bradshaw loses more yardage than Jacobs ever has.

Giantz4Life
03-10-2012, 02:26 PM
All the knocks on BJ for short-yardage are deserved, but you cannot place the blame simply on him. Other things involving the O-Line need to be factored into the equation.

Anyway, he converted that 4&1 on the final drive of SB42 so he's forgiven for everything else.

jparmer
03-10-2012, 02:27 PM
I love jacobs and I agree with most of what uve stated but let's be honest Oline issues or not 'short yardage' should be taken off the list

Die-Hard
03-10-2012, 02:29 PM
LOL <u>Another</u> Jacobs thread

It never ends...

gmen0820
03-10-2012, 02:30 PM

Petrus is an animal out there emotionally. If he can step up his play and contribute, it's not too far fetched to expect him to develop into a possible leader in a year or two. Cruz might be mild mannered in his interviews but have you seen him on the field after other teammates make plays or during the pre game warmups? He loves this team and I think he really wants to stay here.

I guess I'm not as worried as you because I'm banking on the fact Jacobs isn't going to find what he wants and I think he comes back for another year.Lmao Petrus goes "HAM"

Bohemian
03-10-2012, 02:34 PM
It is not a matter of whether or not he was a great player and leader at one time. The problem is that you can't just pay a player to be a leader while the team has financial adjustments to do. Jacobs was increasingly marginalized from the offense, and it was clear that he was on his way out. Time to move on.

Jacobs will always be a great Giant, wherever he goes.

fourth&forever
03-10-2012, 02:35 PM

In short yardage situations? absolutely false.

JimC
03-10-2012, 03:25 PM

Jacobs was unsuccessful on 3rd &amp; 1 or 4th &amp; 1 because EVERYONE knew he was running up the gut &amp; the line never got any push. Often Jacobs would be met in the backfield by a blitz coming clean off the edge. They practically took the hand off with him at times...

Just one question here. If it was 3 and 1 or 4 and 1 who would you hand the ball off to AB or BJ?

NYG4lifeNYK
03-10-2012, 03:42 PM

Jacobs was unsuccessful on 3rd &amp; 1 or 4th &amp; 1 because EVERYONE knew he was running up the gut &amp; the line never got any push. Often Jacobs would be met in the backfield by a blitz coming clean off the edge. They practically took the hand off with him at times...

Just one question here. If it was 3 and 1 or 4 and 1 who would you hand the ball off to AB or BJ?

I'd go with Jacobs in non shotgun..... never understood why we put Jacobs 6+ yards back every time we needed a few inches or a yard...

ELI_Iz_God
03-10-2012, 03:50 PM

It's a problem when you see the ball getting handed off to 27 and your already expecting no gain and your surprised when there is a gain.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-10-2012, 03:53 PM

It's a problem when you see the ball getting handed off to 27 and your already expecting no gain and your surprised when there is a gain.

yea it's problem when Jacobs gets the ball and linemen are being pushed backwards and jacobs has to barrel into them just to get back to the LOS.

jakegibbs
03-10-2012, 03:55 PM

How quickly we forget. 4th & 1 on final drive of SB 42 1st down.

Atl vs NGY in playoffs this year. Hit in backfield on the 4 yd line & spun & plunged his way to the 1 yard line 1st & goal. Turned game around at that time.

Maybe was a little too loud but he will be missed.

ELI_Iz_God
03-10-2012, 04:01 PM

yea it's problem when Jacobs gets the ball and linemen are being pushed backwards and jacobs has to barrel into them just to get back to the LOS.

Ok so every time It was the lines fault? Jacobs running to the outside on his own free will. If he doesn't want to run north/south anymore then he should feel free to retire. We we're dead last in the league as far as the run game goes.

I loved Jacobs when he barreled through people on a regular basis but those days are long gone. He can go be dead weight for another team.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-10-2012, 04:24 PM

Ok so every time It was the lines fault? Jacobs running to the outside on his own free will. If he doesn't want to run north/south anymore then he should feel free to retire. We we're dead last in the league as far as the run game goes.<u> <font color="#0000FF">

I loved Jacobs when he barreled through people on a regular basis but those days are long gone. He can go be dead weight for another team.</font></u><font color="#0000FF">
</font>
Utterly ridiculous.

When the line blocked last season he was a monster. Did you watch the Patriots game? Dallas game? GB game? Jets? ... ATL?

ELI_Iz_God
03-10-2012, 05:07 PM

Ok so every time It was the lines fault? Jacobs running to the outside on his own free will. If he doesn't want to run north/south anymore then he should feel free to retire. We we're dead last in the league as far as the run game goes.<u> <font color="#0000FF">

I loved Jacobs when he barreled through people on a regular basis but those days are long gone. He can go be dead weight for another team.</font></u><font color="#0000FF">
</font>
Utterly ridiculous.

When the line blocked last season he was a monster. Did you watch the Patriots game? Dallas game? GB game? Jets? ... ATL?

I can see arguing this is pointless...you'll come up with excuses for him till the end of time. Fact is he's going to be gone and its for the better.

Cant deal with that? I believe Jets Jerseys are on sale still.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-10-2012, 05:09 PM

</font>
Utterly ridiculous.

I can see arguing this is pointless...you'll come up with excuses for him till the end of time. Fact is he's going to be gone and its for the better.

So go buy one... I bleed blue smart guy.

ELI_Iz_God
03-10-2012, 05:11 PM

</font>
Utterly ridiculous.

lol your the one complaining.....sorry you don't like being called out

NYG4lifeNYK
03-10-2012, 05:34 PM

</font>
Utterly ridiculous.

lol your the one complaining.....sorry you don't like being called out

Not complaining at all it's a genuine concern.

calzonesays
03-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Mike Tolbert would be a real nice short yardage back. Tolbert is like a freakin bowling ball.

Michael Bush would be nice too but I'm sure he will get a starting gig on a terrible team.

NYCDBS
03-10-2012, 05:39 PM

+1

NYCDBS
03-10-2012, 05:49 PM

</font>
Utterly ridiculous.

You're absolutely right He will be gone. Another team will sign him because he has a lot left in the tank. Jacobs brought more to this team than the numbers say if you could get your nose out of the stat line maybe you would see that.

JimC
03-10-2012, 05:52 PM

How quickly we forget. 4th &amp; 1 on final drive of SB 42 1st down.

Atl vs NGY in playoffs this year. Hit in backfield on the 4 yd line &amp; spun &amp; plunged his way to the 1 yard line 1st &amp; goal. Turned game around at that time.

Maybe was a little too loud but he will be missed.

Lets talk about that 4 and 1 in superbowl 42. He tripped in the hole and fell forward barely making the first down. That has always been his problem when he is lifting his feet to run they are only a few inches off the ground. Thats why he stumbles and trips all the time.

KATKAVAGE75
03-10-2012, 06:36 PM
I appreciate all that 27 did for the Giants. Hope he does well at his next stop. Also always liked this sig of Jacobs as the Juggernaut.

Harooni
03-10-2012, 09:21 PM
I always liked BJ's style. however he was not much of a leader though. sure he got amped up a la shockey , but you never considered shockey a leader did you?

myles2424
03-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Flava flav is a amazing hype man & a giant fan......reese get on the horn!!!

dave56dj
03-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Well lets see - how can we replace shockey/ tiki/ amani/ plax/ steve smith? In hindsight I'm sure you will have an excuse for each one - but the truth is while i love what brandon did for us - and think we will miss that - he can and will be replaced. So long big fella - i still hope we see you again after you test the market but if not i have nothing but fond memories of a RB who looked more like a tackle and who BURIED safeties for a living.

Vtgmenfan89
03-12-2012, 01:40 AM
I thought Jacobs was a great hype man and emotional leader. However, I believe Tuck gave the pre super bowl speech. We've still got leadership on these team

I will miss Jacobs nonetheless. Once a Giant always a Giant.

BlueSanta
03-12-2012, 03:01 AM
He wanted 2 mil per year on a multi year deal. It was not just 2 mil this year. That is a big contract for a 30 year old RB and 8 carries per game.

And why not just post in 1 of the other 100's of BJ threads on this exact topic?

LT_was_good
03-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Jacobs was a lot more than just a RB... there's a huge coid that needs to be filled that seems pretty silly not to sign him for only $500,000 more.

I realize $500,000 is a lot of money to sign draft picks or UDFA's(Cruz) but now what?

We had to replace Strahan as the vocal leader... it took awhile but Jacobs emerged into that voice in our locker room &amp; sidelines. The passion he poured out every Sunday is not easily replaced.....

Jacobs also saved his best for big games.... Patriots games he absused them. GB, he absused them. Dallas? He DESTROYED them. Jets? He hit little brother in the mouth.

The thought of Bradshaw as of premier back is very unsettling... Jacobs set the tone &amp; got our offense going....

I think because of injuries and our lack of a running game this past season, Bradshaw has actually become quite underrated. He is still a very good back. I understand the injuries will limit his playing time, but when he's in there we can count on him. Just need somebody to pick up the slack for the inevitable 3-4 games that Bradshaw misses.