PDA

View Full Version : Da'Rel Scott, Jarell Jernnigan

NYgiants141
03-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Are the next big thing. These two are going to have great seasons.

These two will see some more playing time next year with out current cap situation, and they will take advantage, especially Da'Rel. I don't see anything standing in their way and both these men can turn something short into a huge gain.

Thoughts?

RoanokeFan
03-10-2012, 05:58 PM
I hope so. Their first season was a bit undramatic

egyptian420
03-10-2012, 06:26 PM
I really hope so man, if they both become big contributors, we'll finally have some speed on this team.

myles2424
03-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Two more guys need to be drafted at these positions as insurance

miked1958
03-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Are the next big thing. These two are going to have great seasons.

These two will see some more playing time next year with out current cap situation, and they will take advantage, especially Da'Rel. I don't see anything standing in their way and both these men can turn something short into a huge gain.

Thoughts?
Agree I see both of them having huge breakout seasons. Maybe not as big as Cruz had, but big. I see them both being very elusive slippery guys

NYG4lifeNYK
03-10-2012, 07:44 PM
For some reason Jernigan doesn't scream anything special to me... I hope to God I'm wrong.

I've never even seen him lined up in the offense aside from 1-2 times unless I'm forgetting. Did he have a pass thrown his way even once?

Flip Empty
03-10-2012, 08:04 PM
For some reason Jernigan doesn't scream anything special to me... I hope to God I'm wrong.

I've never even seen him lined up in the offense aside from 1-2 times unless I'm forgetting. Did he have a pass thrown his way even once?

He had a poor pre-season so his action on the field was limited. Besides, there was no room for him on the offense last season. The assumed departure of Manningham will change that.

bLuereverie
03-10-2012, 08:08 PM
I don't see Scott having a big year unless the line is solidified.

Jernigan on the other hand I'd love to see do something.

BlueSanta
03-10-2012, 08:10 PM
I do not think JJ is the answer, not right now.

It is for simple reasons tho. Almost 90% of Cruz's catches came from the slot position. He was arguable the best slot reciever in football this year(only arguable b/c of Welker.)

JJ is also a slot guy. For hims to see the field we would have to move Cruz from a position he dominated. I do not see that happening. I think Barden will get a chance before JJ.

And Scott will have to address his fumble problems before he can be a part of the offense.

Harooni
03-10-2012, 08:17 PM

i seem to remember him fumbling a bit on sp teams.

Flip Empty
03-10-2012, 08:22 PM

It is for simple reasons tho. Almost 90% of Cruz's catches came from the slot position. He was arguable the best slot reciever in football this year(only arguable b/c of Welker.)

JJ is also a slot guy. For hims to see the field we would have to move Cruz from a position he dominated. I do not see that happening. I think Barden will get a chance before JJ.

And Scott will have to address his fumble problems before he can be a part of the offense.

Cruz dominated the slot because he had Nicks and Manningham on either side of him. That won't be the case this year so Cruz could move out wide.

Flip Empty
03-10-2012, 08:23 PM

Yeah he did. It wasn't pretty. He was hesitant with picking a direction as well.

BlueSanta
03-10-2012, 08:28 PM

Cruz dominated the slot because he had Nicks and Manningham on either side of him. That won't be the case this year so Cruz could move out wide.

No, Cruz's dominated because he is so quick that he is impossible to defend in the slot, where the defender has to defend all directions. On the outside, the sideline limits the quick guys. Cruz, like Welker is and like Marvin Harrison was is ideal in the slot.

His numbers when he lined up on the outside were greatly reduced this year compared to the slot. See HERE (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203718504577183410799864068.html) for more on this.

Flip Empty
03-10-2012, 08:35 PM

No, Cruz's dominated because he is so quick that he is impossible to defend in the slot, where the defender has to defend all directions. On the outside, the sideline limits the quick guys. Cruz, like Welker is and like Marvin Harrison was is ideal in the slot.

His numbers when he lined up on the outside were greatly reduced this year compared to the slot. See HERE (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203718504577183410799864068.html) for more on this.

You don't think having Nicks and Manningham occupy the opposition's best corners and sometimes a safety helped at all?

BlueSanta
03-10-2012, 08:55 PM

You don't think having Nicks and Manningham occupy the opposition's best corners and sometimes a safety helped at all?

And you think that is the only reason he dominated? He was the best at his position and as that article shows his numbers from the outside were not as good. He is THE dominant slot receiver in the NFL right now. Why on Earth would we move him rather than find a guy to replace MM on the outside?

Barden is an outside guy, and therefor I think it much more likely they try him(or draft a guy) and leave Cruz in the slot rather than move Cruz outside and put another unknown in a position we already have a dominant guy.

Harooni
03-10-2012, 08:59 PM

Yeah he did. It wasn't pretty. He was hesitant with picking a direction as well.

trusting jernigan with the ball is like trusting a squirrel with your nuts.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-10-2012, 09:06 PM

Lol I was talking about seeing time lined up as a WR.

Harooni
03-10-2012, 11:14 PM

i think i saw him in the super bowl for one play when nicks took a big shot. thats all i remember and i dont think he even saw the ball his way.

Flip Empty
03-11-2012, 12:04 AM

And you think that is the only reason he dominated? He was the best at his position and as that article shows his numbers from the outside were not as good. He is THE dominant slot receiver in the NFL right now. Why on Earth would we move him rather than find a guy to replace MM on the outside?

Barden is an outside guy, and therefor I think it much more likely they try him(or draft a guy) and leave Cruz in the slot rather than move Cruz outside and put another unknown in a position we already have a dominant guy.

Without Manningham in there, teams can afford to devote more attention and personnel to Cruz, no matter where he lines up. There's reams of tape on him now, he'll probably be treated as a #1 in most defensive gameplans.

giantsfan420
03-11-2012, 12:08 AM

And you think that is the only reason he dominated?* He was the best at his position and as that article shows his numbers from the outside were not as good. He is THE dominant slot receiver in the NFL right now. Why on Earth would we move him rather than find a guy to replace MM on the outside?

a couple of things, first- Marvin Harrison lined up out wide more than out of the slot. Yes, the sideline acts as help for the defender, but for guys as effective as Harrison and Cruz, won't deter them from being successful.

A couple of solid player evaluators on here like gmen has been saying for some time, correctly imho i might add, that Cruz will be just as effective outwide because lining up as the Z removes the ability of the defense to bracket Cruz with LB's and corners and safeties. Because of Nicks, Cruz will get a lot more 1v1 looks outwide bc defenses simply can't apply the same number of defenders. Further, Cruz lined up out wide plenty in that 6 game win streak the led to the SB victory and he dominated just as he did out of the slot.

Secondly, with that said, that doesn't mean Cruz can't move to the slot in certain formations and when the situation dictates it. I am all for Barden getting his opportunties and hoping he makes most of them, still, Cruz will be more effective out wide than Barden, at this point, theirs no reason to believe otherwise.

And about JJ, I actually could see him making an impact next season out of the slot. Part of Cruz's success out of the slot was he was so quick and shifty getting in and out of his breaks. JJ definitely possesses that ability, but its about him being on the same page as Eli and being where Eli expects him to be. If JJ can get that mental aspect of his game down, he could be dangerous as a slot WR, he's actually very similar to Cruz in that regard.

I fully expect in our base packages, Nicks and Cruz will be lined up out wide. But, I also expect Cruz to move inside and play the slot as well. When you have a guy as versatile as Cruz, it'd make little sense to just relegate him to one duty. Depending on who we get to be that 3rd wr for us will determine how much or little we see Cruz play from the slot. If we re-sign Smith, I believe Smith will play out of the slot a ton. If JJ can step up, I expect he will play out of the slot a ton. In both those cases, Cruz will line up out wide.

If we rely on Barden to be the 3rd WR, I could see Cruz playing out of the slot a bunch, although, Barden could possibly be very effective out of the slot as well. It will be interesting to see who the coaches pencil in as the 3rd wr on the depth chart...

but to simply expect Cruz will just be a slot guy and thats it bc he had success there is selling Cruz short. He possesses the skill set to line up out wide and really be a dangerous threat, perhaps as dangerous as he was from the slot. Remember our offensive scheme is about getting to the open space, Cruz can do that from the HB position if we needed lol...I suggest talking to gmen0820 about this bc he knows a lot about the subject.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-11-2012, 12:39 AM

i think i saw him in the super bowl for one play when nicks took a big shot. thats all i remember and i dont think he even saw the ball his way.

Yea I figured that much.. that's why I'm not as sold on him as others are at WR.

BlueBlooded1979
03-11-2012, 12:48 AM
"Just a slot guy" ??

The slot receiver (WR/TE) has become more valuable than the outside guys in today's NFL.

They convert the most 3rd downs and dicate the personel groups the defense runs more so than the outside receivers.

Every CB will tell you that the hardest position to play in the secondary is the nickel corner. A lot fo #1 CBs are kicking inside on passing downs these days.

There is absolutely no reason to for anyone to see time in the slot outside of Cruz given the importance of the position and how well he fits it. Cruz can play the sticks as good as Smith and Welker but offers the threat of a huge play at the same time.

Moving a proven commodity to accomodate an unproved one is not a smart move. JJ has to earn his playing time where there is an opportunity.

BlueSanta
03-11-2012, 01:31 AM

a couple of things, first- Marvin Harrison lined up out wide more than out of the slot. Yes, the sideline acts as help for the defender, but for guys as effective as Harrison and Cruz, won't deter them from being successful.

A couple of solid player evaluators on here like gmen has been saying for some time, correctly imho i might add, that Cruz will be just as effective outwide because lining up as the Z removes the ability of the defense to bracket Cruz with LB's and corners and safeties. Because of Nicks, Cruz will get a lot more 1v1 looks outwide bc defenses simply can't apply the same number of defenders. Further, Cruz lined up out wide plenty in that 6 game win streak the led to the SB victory and he dominated just as he did out of the slot.

Secondly, with that said, that doesn't mean Cruz can't move to the slot in certain formations and when the situation dictates it. I am all for Barden getting his opportunties and hoping he makes most of them, still, Cruz will be more effective out wide than Barden, at this point, theirs no reason to believe otherwise.

And about JJ, I actually could see him making an impact next season out of the slot. Part of Cruz's success out of the slot was he was so quick and shifty getting in and out of his breaks. JJ definitely possesses that ability, but its about him being on the same page as Eli and being where Eli expects him to be. If JJ can get that mental aspect of his game down, he could be dangerous as a slot WR, he's actually very similar to Cruz in that regard.

I fully expect in our base packages, Nicks and Cruz will be lined up out wide. But, I also expect Cruz to move inside and play the slot as well. When you have a guy as versatile as Cruz, it'd make little sense to just relegate him to one duty. Depending on who we get to be that 3rd wr for us will determine how much or little we see Cruz play from the slot. If we re-sign Smith, I believe Smith will play out of the slot a ton. If JJ can step up, I expect he will play out of the slot a ton. In both those cases, Cruz will line up out wide.

If we rely on Barden to be the 3rd WR, I could see Cruz playing out of the slot a bunch, although, Barden could possibly be very effective out of the slot as well. It will be interesting to see who the coaches pencil in as the 3rd wr on the depth chart...

but to simply expect Cruz will just be a slot guy and thats it bc he had success there is selling Cruz short. He possesses the skill set to line up out wide and really be a dangerous threat, perhaps as dangerous as he was from the slot. Remember our offensive scheme is about getting to the open space, Cruz can do that from the HB position if we needed lol...I suggest talking to gmen0820 about this bc he knows a lot about the subject.

Did I ever say Cruz was "just a slot guy"....???

I said he performs best in the slot. That is undeniable with 90% of his catches from that position. Did you even glance at the article I linked above? Seriously, people look at the stats. His numbers from the slot dwarf, in every way, his numbers from outside. Not just number of catches but yards per catch too. He is best utilized in the slot....end of story.

Can he line up outside? Yes.

Will he line up outside? Yes sometimes, like he did this year.

Does that meam we will move him permanently outside so JJ can be our slot guy? Absolutely not.

We need a replacement for Mario Manningham who in 2010 played primarily OUTSIDE. To take 1 guy who is the BEST player in the NFL at the slot and move him outside so we can put in another guy at the slot is insane and illogical. Again, he is the best player in the NFL at his position and you want him to move...........I dont get it.

Do I think Ramses Barden is the answer? Prolly not. But I dont know, I havent seen that much of him b/c of all the injuries. Even so, I have seen WAY more of him that I have of JJ who has no catches at all in his NFL career.

Throughout his career Eli has made a living throwing to the slot guy. From Steve Smith, to Victor Cruz he has killed opposing teams. I do not think we take a winning combo and change it because a MM left. Why not just replace MM on the outside?

JJC7301
03-11-2012, 01:31 AM
Two more guys need to be drafted at these positions as insurance
+1. But I'm really excited to see what Scott and JJ can offer after 1 full year under their belts.

giantsfan420
03-11-2012, 01:59 AM

And you think that is the only reason he dominated?* He was the best at his position and as that article shows his numbers from the outside were not as good. He is THE dominant slot receiver in the NFL right now. Why on Earth would we move him rather than find a guy to replace MM on the outside?

Did I ever say Cruz was "just a slot guy"....???

I said he performs best in the slot. That is undeniable with 90% of his catches from that position. Did you even glance at the article I linked above? Seriously, people look at the stats. His numbers from the slot dwarf, in every way, his numbers from outside. Not just number of catches but yards per catch too. He is best utilized in the slot....end of story.

Can he line up outside? Yes.

Will he line up outside? Yes sometimes, like he did this year.

Does that meam we will move him permanently outside so JJ can be our slot guy? Absolutely not.

We need a replacement for Mario Manningham who in 2010 played primarily OUTSIDE. To take 1 guy who is the BEST player in the NFL at the slot and move him outside so we can put in another guy at the slot is insane and illogical. Again, he is the best player in the NFL at his position and you want him to move...........I dont get it.

Do I think Ramses Barden is the answer? Prolly not. But I dont know, I havent seen that much of him b/c of all the injuries. Even so, I have seen WAY more of him that I have of JJ who has no catches at all in his NFL career.

Throughout his career Eli has made a living throwing to the slot guy. From Steve Smith, to Victor Cruz he has killed opposing teams. I do not think we take a winning combo and change it because a MM left. Why not just replace MM on the outside?

the previous wr to have amost the same success rate out of the slot position to cruz was steve smith...steve smith lined up out wide more than the slot. on 1rst and 2nd downs, i expect cruz out wide. on 3rd downs, i expect cruz will play the slot.

we basically are agreeing on everything just whether or not cruz will be labeled a slot wr or a z wr...

your also making a bunch of subjective predictions and passing them off as fact. i dont know how the offense will exactly look next season and neither do you...just bc cruz was excellent out of the slot doesnt mean thats where he'll spend most of the time. he'll be our 2 wr, and in base packages he'll line up out wide.

no point in debating anything when we virtually share the same opinion.

edit-reread my post you quoted, what did you disagree with again? you basically just rewrote what I just said and passed it off as me somehow disagreeing with what i wrote...again, did you even read my post?? what do u disagree with again?

JMFP2
03-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Are the next big thing. These two are going to have great seasons. These two will see some more playing time next year with out current cap situation, and they will take advantage, especially Da'Rel. I don't see anything standing in their way and both these men can turn something short into a huge gain. Thoughts?</P>

My thoughts....</P>

Jernigan was a bad pick...should have taken a LB in that spot.</P>

Da'Rel Scott needs to secure the ball, or else we'll be watching alot more delayed draws to DJ Noware.</P>