PDA

View Full Version : Terrell Thomas - Negotiations getting a bit bumpy... "time is ticking" he says

NYG4lifeNYK
03-10-2012, 06:04 PM
http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=437182

-Ralph V.

"'Does @TerrellThomas24 think the #NYG will re-sign him? ďIím very
optimistic, but itís a business. Iíve seen it turn ugly. You look at the
Steve Smith situation. You canít take that out of the back of your
mind. Kevin Boss is a guy they drafted, and the Giants were big on
keeping their picks. I definitely think they want me back. They told me
they want me back. The conversations started right away. But until that
ink is dry I canít say Iím coming back. All I can really say is 'Time is
ticking.'Ē

"Thomas is still dreaming of something bigger, though, which may be why
negotiations with the Giants have stalled. He points out that in 2010
the Jacksonville Jaguars gave defensive end Aaron Kampman a four-year,
$26 million contract with $11 million guaranteed, while he was still
rehabbing a torn ACL."

If we lose both T2 & Ross that is a tough pill to swallow even if Prince is able to start next season...

egyptian420
03-10-2012, 06:07 PM
I really hope his deal goes through. If not, Prince will have to step up and so will Bruce Johnson or Witherspoon or someone else.

I don't think we'll spend an early draft pick on another CB.

netplus
03-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Keep in mind this is his second torn ACL. It really depends on his progress and if they think he can be 100% by September. If not, they probably won't sign him. Similar situation with Steve Smith last year and look what happened.

Eli TO Shockey
03-10-2012, 06:27 PM
He's backing himself into a corner to leave if he expects a contract anywhere close to what was given to Kampman. We are tight with our cap situation and will not overpay for a player coming off his 2nd ACL surgery on the same knee in 6 years. I want him back, but I wont hold it against reese and co. if they dont pay him what hes looking for.

I have a bad feeling about this....If he tests the market, he will get more than what the gmen are offering.

If I was him, I would take a 1 yr deal with the giants. prove myself, and seek that contract hes looking for next season.

bg79
03-12-2012, 08:28 AM
You'd think he'd look at the Boss and Smith Situation and see that the grass isnt greener elsewhere and get in there and sign. If he wants a payday then the best option for him is to sign a one year deal and prove his leg isnt an issue and then next offseason he'll be due a substantial increase that the giants or some other team can feel a lot more comfortable about giving.

nygsb42champs
03-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Losing both of them would be a very tough hit to us.

gumby742
03-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Losing both of them would be a very tough hit to us.</P>

Tough, but doable. We won the SB without him. And i'm confident Prince can play better then Ross did. It just boils down to how Fewell is going to do.</P>

Strahan4gov
03-12-2012, 08:47 AM
He's backing himself into a corner to leave if he expects a contract anywhere close to what was given to Kampman. We are tight with our cap situation and will not overpay for a player coming off* his 2nd ACL surgery on the same knee in 6 years. I want him back, but I wont hold it against reese and co. if they dont pay him what hes looking for.

I have a bad feeling about this....If he tests the market, he will get more than what the gmen are offering.

If I was him, I would take a 1 yr deal with the giants. prove myself, and seek that contract hes looking for next season.

I think him hitting the market opens all the best possible scenarios.

He sees his value, which could go either way

If hes given a good look, multiple doctors will be looking him over, not just ours which will give a deeper analysis of his physical shape

And lastly, once an evaluation is placed on him Reese can then begin to bargain - at this point he sees himself worth a boatload, and a viable offer gives Reese a realistic number to look at and work from.

TuckYou
03-12-2012, 08:57 AM
http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&amp;thread=437182

-Ralph V.

"'Does @TerrellThomas24 think the #NYG will re-sign him? ďIím very optimistic, but itís a business. Iíve seen it turn ugly. You look at the Steve Smith situation. You canít take that out of the back of your mind. Kevin Boss is a guy they drafted, and the Giants were big on keeping their picks. I definitely think they want me back. They told me they want me back. The conversations started right away. But until that ink is dry I canít say Iím coming back. All I can really say is 'Time is ticking.'Ē

"Thomas is still dreaming of something bigger, though, which may be why negotiations with the Giants have stalled. He points out that in 2010 the Jacksonville Jaguars gave defensive end Aaron Kampman a four-year, $26 million contract with $11 million guaranteed, while he was still rehabbing a torn ACL."

If we lose both T2 &amp; Ross that is a tough pill to swallow even if Prince is able to start next season...

</P>

I have been saying the Giants wont be able to sign either Thomas or Ross. Both are going to want big money. Not HUGE money but big money. Giants arent going to pay them what they want, especially Thomas. Funny that TT is pointing out what the Jags gave KAmpman. First off, the Jags were WAAAAYY under the cap, Giants arent. Secondly, did you see how Kampman performed coming off that ACL? No? Here are his stats since his injury: He played in8 of 16games in 2010, for 25 tackles and 4 sacks. 2011 he played in 3 games, for a grand total of ZERO tackles. </P>

LT_was_good
03-12-2012, 08:59 AM

-Ralph V.

"'Does @TerrellThomas24 think the #NYG will re-sign him? ďIím very optimistic, but itís a business. Iíve seen it turn ugly. You look at the Steve Smith situation. You canít take that out of the back of your mind. Kevin Boss is a guy they drafted, and the Giants were big on keeping their picks. I definitely think they want me back. They told me they want me back. The conversations started right away. But until that ink is dry I canít say Iím coming back. All I can really say is 'Time is ticking.'Ē

"Thomas is still dreaming of something bigger, though, which may be why negotiations with the Giants have stalled. He points out that in 2010 the Jacksonville Jaguars gave defensive end Aaron Kampman a four-year, $26 million contract with $11 million guaranteed, while he was still rehabbing a torn ACL."

If we lose both T2 &amp; Ross that is a tough pill to swallow even if Prince is able to start next season...

</p>

I have been saying the Giants wont be able to sign either Thomas or Ross. Both are going to want big money. Not HUGE money but big money. Giants arent going to pay them what they want, especially Thomas. Funny that TT is pointing out what the Jags gave KAmpman. First off, the Jags were WAAAAYY under the cap, Giants arent. Secondly, did you see how Kampman performed coming off that ACL? No? Here are his stats since his injury: He played in8 of 16games in 2010, for 25 tackles and 4 sacks. 2011 he played in 3 games, for a grand total of ZERO tackles. </p>

If Prince really steps up, though, it might not be the end of the world. Webster, Prince, then all those cheap guys who showed promise then immediately suffered season ending injuries.

TrueBlue@NYC
03-12-2012, 12:37 PM

-Ralph V.

</P>

I have been saying the Giants wont be able to sign either Thomas or Ross. Both are going to want big money. Not HUGE money but big money. Giants arent going to pay them what they want, especially Thomas. Funny that TT is pointing out what the Jags gave KAmpman. First off, the Jags were WAAAAYY under the cap, Giants arent. Secondly, did you see how Kampman performed coming off that ACL? No? Here are his stats since his injury: He played in8 of 16games in 2010, for 25 tackles and 4 sacks. 2011 he played in 3 games, for a grand total of ZERO tackles. </P>

</P>

Exactly, TT should probably realize that Aaron Kampman is an example of why a team SHOULDN'T give him a big contract coming off an injury. Why would you ever pull out an example of a team taking a chance on a guy in the same situation as you and it turning out bad for the team? How's that supposed to get the team on your side? </P>

buddy33
03-12-2012, 01:37 PM
If he wants big money he is gone. I don't see any way that Reese over pays a guy that tore the same ACL twice. I was worried about this.

Webster is still solid and I think Prince is going to be very good. They need depth though. Hopefully Whiterspoon is ok. He was looking very good. Coe was also coming along nicely. Probably have to draft one in the 1st few rounds as well.

Tommy_Ribs
03-12-2012, 01:53 PM
We cannot sign Terrell Thomas to a big money deal. Not with a knee where the ACL has been torn twice. I do not believe that a player has ever come back from the same ACL being torn three times.

So if he tears it again he could be finished.

I want him back, and I want him to get a good deal, but the GIANTS have to be very diligent on this one.

We absolutely need CB depth as right now I believe Amukamara and Webster are the only healthy corners that we have under contract.

gmen46
03-12-2012, 02:28 PM
We cannot sign Terrell Thomas to a big money deal.* Not with a knee where the ACL has been torn twice.* I do not believe that a player has ever come back from the same ACL being torn three times.

I want him back, and I want him to get a good deal, but the GIANTS have to be very diligent on this one.

We absolutely need CB depth as right now I believe Amukamara and Webster are the only healthy corners that we have under contract.

I agree with your points here, which is why my opinion is that at the end of the day, both parties will come to agreement for a 1 or 2 year contract.

On the other hand, of course, the very points you raise about the fragility of his knee are a big cause of TT's fear and a big reason for his desire for some kind of guarantee, whether it comes from Giants or another team.

G-Man67
03-12-2012, 02:45 PM
well if he wants to play in front of 1/2 empty stadiums in Jacksonville, then he can go right ahead ... he had good season in 2010 and he obviously can become a very solid player if he stays healthy, but i'm hoping no team throws stupid money at him coming off the injury and we can work something out ... i've always been more a fan of physical CBs vs. the finesse CBs

Kruunch
03-12-2012, 02:47 PM
We cannot sign Terrell Thomas to a big money deal.* Not with a knee where the ACL has been torn twice.* I do not believe that a player has ever come back from the same ACL being torn three times.

+1,000

JJC7301
03-12-2012, 03:17 PM
I really hope his deal goes through. If not, Prince will have to step up and so will Bruce Johnson or Witherspoon or someone else.

I don't think we'll spend an early draft pick on another CB.

We'll be drafting someone in the seconday anyway -- high in the draft like we always do.

Did anyone tell TT that Jacksonville sucks and so did Kampfman?

I prefer to keep the less expensive of the two between TT and Ross. Ross was playing very well by the end of this year and he excelled his rookie season. Guy was injured quite often in between.

I hope that they have communications open with Ross to gauge what he wants.

TuckYou
03-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Ok, so if w lose both Ross and T2, bring back Johnson, Tryon, Witherspoon, Prince, CWeb and a draft pick. Lots of CBs going to be in this draft.

GMenNY21
03-12-2012, 03:50 PM
No T2 , should = Stephen Gilmore ,Trumaine Johnson, or Jamel Flemming in April's Draft

burier
03-12-2012, 04:12 PM
how can the negotiations be bumpy?

T2 should be thankful he got an offer at all. I wouldn't give him one.

And if I did it would be Vet min and not a penny more.

TWO ACLs! Please dude...if it was Revis I might take a fligher and hope the guy could come back and help but other than that I've already moved on.

And its not just about doctors clearing him or whatever....There's Psychological hurdle to clear after an injury like that. Considering its the second injury I'd say the hurdle might be a bit too high.

bklyn1028
03-12-2012, 04:33 PM
well if he wants to play in front of 1/2 empty stadiums in Jacksonville, then he can go right ahead ... he had good season in 2010 and he obviously can become a very solid player if he stays healthy, but i'm hoping no team throws stupid money at him coming off the injury and we can work something out ... i've always been more a fan of physical CBs vs. the finesse CBs

If Manning goes (for the sake of argument to Denver), Jacksonville will more than likely pick up Tebow. Those stands won't be empty anymore i believe.

MattMeyerBud
03-12-2012, 04:49 PM
You'd think he'd look at the Boss and Smith Situation and see that the grass isnt greener elsewhere and get in there and sign. If he wants a payday then the best option for him is to sign a one year deal and prove his leg isnt an issue and then next offseason he'll be due a substantial increase that the giants or some other team can feel a lot more comfortable about giving.

what are u basing that on?

They both got paid about double what they would of gotten paid here and already have superbowl rings.

And theres a good chance that Steve Smith end sup back here, so it would be even BETTER for him

Spedracer
03-12-2012, 04:50 PM
If I was the owner sitting across the table from T2 and his agent when they pointed to the Jacksonville/Kampman deal...

First I would laugh.

Second I would suspend talks due to the sheer insult of being compared to the trainwreck of an ownership such as Jacksonville.

Not to mention Kampman is a former All Pro DT who's career is basically over after robbing JAX off the deal T2 referenced. T2 is a good, but overrated corner who should be playing FS.

03-12-2012, 04:51 PM
"No T2 , should = Stephen Gilmore" ,Trumaine Johnson, or Jamel Flemming in April's Draft</P>

We won the big game without him. I'm starting to thimk cornerback is possible at # 32 Stephon Gilmore seems to be right up our alley : 6' 1" he ran second fastest 40 for CB at indy</P>

GMenNY21
03-12-2012, 04:59 PM
"No T2 , should = Stephen Gilmore" ,Trumaine Johnson, or Jamel Flemming in April's Draft</P>

We won the big game without him. I'm starting to thimk cornerback is possible at # 32* Stephon Gilmore seems to be right up our alley : 6' 1"* he ran second fastest 40 for CB at indy</P>Yeah, he is a perfect fit for us , but I'm not sure he slips to 32.

I still think we take a CB with 1 of our picks early in the draft... The cb position has a lot of talent in this draft ,& we can find an eventual replacement for CWeb once he moves past his prime ,to grow with Prince

mainegiantsfan
03-12-2012, 06:05 PM
I would let T2 hit the road. We have had enough inury prone players as it is. If we are to take a chance, let's do it with the younger players that are coming back. As far a high picks in the secondary, we haven't done that good. We dumped Clark and another low pick in recent years that turned out to be very good. I'd stick with best player available, and if it's a CB, fine.

foosball
03-12-2012, 06:39 PM
I just can't see any team giving him a big deal. He's torn it twice.

swordfish
03-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Good buy TT, we have plenty of quality CB's, didn't we just win the SB with our current CB's, what exactly did we win with TT.

Tommy_Ribs
03-13-2012, 05:23 PM
We cannot sign Terrell Thomas to a big money deal. Not with a knee where the ACL has been torn twice. I do not believe that a player has ever come back from the same ACL being torn three times.

+1,000

4 Years - $28 million - oh well - don;t ever listen to any idea I ever have again.

Good for TT - but this deal is one that has a lot of risk. Lets hope the doctors looked at a lot of x-rays/mris of TT's knee.