PDA

View Full Version : NFL.COM-Manning/Rivers trade greatest draft trade of all time

giantsfan420
03-11-2012, 07:55 AM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8079f3cf/article/top-10-draft-trades-in-nfl-history

it has us as the #1 draft trade of all time. I think its safe to say we made out like bandits with that trade...

how sweet is it that a few years ago, many thought SD took us, now its accepted widely that we took them for a ride with that trade...big props for EA...you know he took heat for that trade, and wasn't even the GM when we won our first SB...it was awesome for the Giants to still give him a ring, it was his roster after all...

foosball
03-11-2012, 08:23 AM
Well that article was written pre 2007 season so if those analysts could go back and re-state what they stated I am sure they would. Since than Phillip Rivers has gone down hill and Eli has emerged as a potential hall of fame QB. So Ernie got that one right. He wanted Eli because he felt Eli was the kind of QB that could take a team that was down 1 score to a super bowl championship. Good for him.

GameTime
03-11-2012, 09:16 AM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8079f3cf/article/top-10-draft-trades-in-nfl-history it has us as the #1 draft trade of all time. I think its safe to say we made out like bandits with that trade... how sweet is it that a few years ago, many thought SD took us, now its accepted widely that we took them for a ride with that trade...big props for EA...you know he took heat for that trade, and wasn't even the GM when we won our first SB...it was awesome for the Giants to still give him a ring, it was his roster after all...</P>

EA had a good feeling about Eli as we all know. He made an informed choice and gambled on it. It paid off. </P>

</P>

</P>

giantsfan420
03-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Well that article was written pre 2007 season so if those analysts could go back and re-state what they stated I am sure they would.* Since than Phillip Rivers has gone down hill and Eli has emerged as a potential hall of fame QB.* So Ernie got that one right.* He wanted Eli because he felt Eli was the kind of QB that could take a team that was down 1 score to a super bowl championship.* Good for him.*

no it is recent. the one from a year ago has this trade at #8...being #1 leads me to believe it was done recently...

edit- it was last updated

Updated: May 10, 2011 at 08:09 p.m.

so before this SB win... maybe they'll update it again but cant think of a reaon too

Eze E
03-11-2012, 09:54 AM
<FONT color=#ff0000 size=4>NAH, couldn't b</FONT>

Eze E
03-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Well that article was written pre 2007 season so if those analysts could go back and re-state what they stated I am sure they would. Since than Phillip Rivers has gone down hill and Eli has emerged as a potential hall of fame QB. So Ernie got that one right. He wanted Eli because he felt Eli was the kind of QB that could take a team that was down 1 score to a super bowl championship. Good for him.
</P>

</P>

<FONT color=#ff0000><FONT size=4>NAH, couldn't b</FONT> </FONT></P>

foosball
03-11-2012, 10:33 AM

no it is recent. the one from a year ago has this trade at #8...being #1 leads me to believe it was done recently...

edit- it was last updated

Updated: May 10, 2011 at 08:09 p.m.

so before this SB win... maybe they'll update it again but cant think of a reaon too

I was talking about the video. The video is dated September 2007.

bLuereverie
03-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Wait, the linkt has the Manning/Rivers deal as #10?

jomo
03-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Wait, the linkt has the Manning/Rivers deal as #10?You are right. Another post where they never even read the article. We can do better than that.

bLuereverie
03-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Maybe the video says differently? NFL.com videos won't open for me.

ny06
03-11-2012, 12:23 PM
I still feel the <SPAN>Herschel Walker trade was the biggest draft day trade of all time. </SPAN></P>

<SPAN>Here are the players &amp; draft picks that were involved. </SPAN></P><SPAN>
<DT>Minnesota Vikings received</DT>
<UL>
<LI>RB Herschel Walker</LI>
<LI>Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)</LI>
<LI>San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)</LI>
<LI>Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)</LI>
<LI>Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)</LI>[/list]
<DL>
<DT>Dallas Cowboys received</DT></DL>
<UL>
<LI>LB Jesse Solomon</LI>
<LI>LB David Howard</LI>
<LI>CB Issiac Holt</LI>
<LI>RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)</LI>
<LI>DE Alex Stewart</LI>
<LI>Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft Emmitt Smith)</LI>
<LI>Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)</LI>
<LI>Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)</LI>
<LI>Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (12) (Alvin Harper)</LI>
<LI>Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Dixon Edwards)</LI>
<LI>Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)</LI>
<LI>Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)</LI>
<LI>Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)</LI>[/list]</SPAN>

TuckYou
03-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Only time will where the Redskins trade will wind up. For RG3 they gave up 3 1st round picks and a 2nd.

Bohemian
03-11-2012, 03:10 PM
I still feel the <span>Herschel Walker trade was the biggest draft day trade of all time. </span></p>

<span>Here are the players &amp; draft picks that were involved. </span></p><span>
<dt>Minnesota Vikings received</dt>
<ul>
RB Herschel Walker
Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)
San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)
Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)
Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)[/list]
<dl>
<dt>Dallas Cowboys received</dt></dl>
<ul>
LB Jesse Solomon
LB David Howard
CB Issiac Holt
RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)
DE Alex Stewart
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft Emmitt Smith)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)
Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (12) (Alvin Harper)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Dixon Edwards)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)
Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)[/list]</span>

I have to agree with this trade as the biggest trade ever... but then again, we are talking about trading rookies + picks. Walker was supposed to be a super-star, and turned out to be an overrated, although not a bad, running back.

Jimmy Johnson stole from the Vikings, and the Vikings took the bait. The Eli-Rivers trade was about two top prospects, making it a fair trade.

miken609
03-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Wait, the linkt has the Manning/Rivers deal as #10?You are right. Another post where they never even read the article. We can do better than that.

lo i noticed it too. It should be number 1 though

BlueSanta
03-11-2012, 03:33 PM
I still feel the <span>Herschel Walker trade was the biggest draft day trade of all time. </span></p>

<span>Here are the players &amp; draft picks that were involved. </span></p><span>
<dt>Minnesota Vikings received</dt>
<ul>
RB Herschel Walker
Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)
San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)
Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)
Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)[/list]
<dl>
<dt>Dallas Cowboys received</dt></dl>
<ul>
LB Jesse Solomon
LB David Howard
CB Issiac Holt
RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)
DE Alex Stewart
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft Emmitt Smith)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)
Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (12) (Alvin Harper)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Dixon Edwards)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)
Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)[/list]</span>
I agree. It was certainly the most impactful trade ever. It essentially won them 4 Superbowls.

Although I would argue the Vikings fans might not consider it the greatest trade.

Roosevelt
03-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Agreed about the Hershel Walker trade.

The Rivers for Manning trade has yet to be fully written, so while it looks great for us right now it's still too early for definitive comments on it.

Bottom line is though EA saw something special in Eli and fortunately for us he was right. A lot of fans didn't like EA, but I always did. He was a refreshing change from the ultra-conservative George Young.

JMFP2
03-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Wait, the linkt has the Manning/Rivers deal as #10?You are right. Another post where they never even read the article. We can do better than that.</P>

The video was taped prior to SB42.</P>

The best part is at the very end....."the Chargers stole the Giants blind"...LMFAO.</P>

TheBookOfEli
03-11-2012, 04:28 PM
I love the Top 10 shows on NFL Netowrk. They always update the Top 10's but they need to update this one already.

allentown PA
03-11-2012, 04:33 PM
i can think of several scumbag posters on these boards that still want Rivers...****in people make me sick.

TheBookOfEli
03-11-2012, 04:36 PM
I think NFL.com made a mistake here. In the beginning it rated the the trade #1 but it shows the old footage?

Yeah me thinks they already did an update but forgot to upload the new update video. They have to talk about Eli's 2 sueprbowl victories :-)

BigBlue1971
03-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Eli has taken much abuse leading up his 1st superbowl because of that trade!</P>

knowing what we do now, EA couldve added a coupla more players to that trade and it still wouldve been worth it!</P>

Elis career is not over yet but i dont suspect he will regress from his current form!</P>

</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff size=4>Go Giants!</FONT></P>

giantsfan420
03-11-2012, 04:53 PM

wait, you mean where they have it at 1?? bc every other list goes from 10-1, check out the other top 10 rankings, the bottom 1 is the first place one...another reply where someone comically makes a fool out of himself on a high horse

giantsfan420
03-11-2012, 04:57 PM
click the "most clutch qbs of all time" ranking...

joe montana is 1, john elway 2, tom brady 3...the lists go from 10 at the top to 1 at the bottom. the video is old, but as I posted, it was updated may 2011...the video wasn't updated just the list...sorry if i came off as being a jerk jomo, just find it hilarious you lump me into a category that you belong in. surely we can do better than that, can't you jomo?

rainierjef
03-11-2012, 05:47 PM
even if Eli didn't win two superbowls it was still a good trade to get what they thought at the time was 10+ year franchise QB.

2004 3rd round pick
2005 1st and a 5th

we didn't give up the bank Ala the redskins this year
and it was kind of like a steal Phillip rivers wouldn't of survived in New york the fans would of got to him quickly.

it wasn't the best trade in history the H.Walker trade made the boys the dynasty of that decade

JJC7301
03-12-2012, 01:51 AM
You would have through that with the 'skins receiving 8 picks from the Saints for Ricky Williams that they would have built a dynasty. Amazing that they've been consistently mediocre this entire time.

foosball
03-12-2012, 02:25 AM
even if Eli didn't win two superbowls it was still a good trade to get what they thought at the time was 10+ year franchise QB.

2004 3rd round pick
2005 1st and a 5th

we didn't give up the bank Ala the redskins this year
and it was kind of like a steal Phillip rivers wouldn't of survived in New york the fans would of got to him quickly.

it wasn't the best trade in history the H.Walker trade made the boys the dynasty of that decade

Phillip Rivers was never going to be the Giants QB. Ernie knew the trade was going down by then, if he hadn't he would have traded the pick to Cleveland and drafted Big Ben.

I think it's in Ralph Vacciano's book making of a QB.

gumby742
03-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Made out like bandits?. The trade benefited both parties greatly. The chargers instantly became a very good team and with Eli, well, his great story is still in progress, including 2 SB wins.

gumby742
03-12-2012, 09:49 AM
click the "most clutch qbs of all time" ranking... joe montana is 1, john elway 2, tom brady 3...the lists go from 10 at the top to 1 at the bottom. the video is old, but as I posted, it was updated may 2011...the video wasn't updated just the list...sorry if i came off as being a jerk jomo, just find it hilarious you lump me into a category that you belong in. surely we can do better than that, can't you jomo?</P>

Montana had rediculous weapons. My list of clutch. 1) Marino 1) Marino 2) Eli 3) Elway. Although I think Elways is way overrated. Clutch definition being who you want to lead your team if your team is down 1 score with a few minutes to play.</P>

LT_was_good
03-12-2012, 09:58 AM
click the "most clutch qbs of all time" ranking... joe montana is 1, john elway 2, tom brady 3...the lists go from 10 at the top to 1 at the bottom. the video is old, but as I posted, it was updated may 2011...the video wasn't updated just the list...sorry if i came off as being a jerk jomo, just find it hilarious you lump me into a category that you belong in. surely we can do better than that, can't you jomo?</p>

Montana had rediculous weapons. My list of clutch. 1) Marino 1) Marino 2) Eli 3) Elway. Although I think Elways is way overrated. Clutch definition being who you want to lead your team if your team is down 1 score with a few minutes to play.</p>

If you're not taking into account whether it's post-season or regular season, Peyton should be right up there as well. I've seen him march the Colts down the field effortlessly time after time.

Kruunch
03-12-2012, 10:01 AM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8079f3cf/article/top-10-draft-trades-in-nfl-history

it has us as the #1 draft trade of all time. I think its safe to say we made out like bandits with that trade...

how sweet is it that a few years ago, many thought SD took us, now its accepted widely that we took them for a ride with that trade...big props for EA...you know he took heat for that trade, and wasn't even the GM when we won our first SB...it was awesome for the Giants to still give him a ring, it was his roster after all...

Ahhhh hindsight. It's mot just for the Giants anymore!

PoloGroundsFan
03-13-2012, 01:17 PM
I believe that is a poor analysis because we would have taken Big Ben not Rivers if there was no trade. Now Ben is good, but has caused lots of trouble after he won his super bowls. If Ben had those troubles in the NY media area we would be fighting for RG III today.

Harooni
03-13-2012, 01:36 PM
I believe that is a poor analysis because we would have taken Big Ben not Rivers if there was no trade. Now Ben is good, but has caused lots of trouble after he won his super bowls. If Ben had those troubles in the NY media area we would be fighting for RG III today.

agreed no way we draft rivers it was only for schottanhiemer.

giantsfan420
03-13-2012, 01:40 PM
huh, we LITERALLY traded rivers for manning...i fail to see hw its poor analysis at all?

the chargers drafter eli, we drafted rivers. we then traded players and threw in picks...for th 1 draft trade of all time according to nfl.com's top 10 list

Harooni
03-13-2012, 01:43 PM
huh, we LITERALLY traded rivers for manning...i fail to see hw its poor analysis at all?

the chargers drafter eli, we drafted rivers. we then traded players and threw in picks...for th 1 draft trade of all time according to nfl.com's top 10 list
we traded 4 draft picks for eli, they requested we draft rivers.