PDA

View Full Version : NEW YORK GIANTS' DRAFT STRATEGY, THE TRUTH ABOUT JERRY REESE

RoanokeFan
03-11-2012, 11:58 AM
<a href="http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/new_york_giants_2012_nfl_draft_strategy_the_truth_ about_jerry_reese/10279483">NEW YORK GIANTS' DRAFT STRATEGY, THE TRUTH ABOUT JERRY REESE
</a>

NewYorkSwagg
03-11-2012, 12:23 PM
It doesn't matter what his scheme is, as long as he keep drafting the way he drafting every year, he is doing a great job and thanks to the guys out there scouting players.

NorwoodBlue
03-11-2012, 01:25 PM
This article was comical at the end, saying that Reese knew he had Ballard and Cruz to replace Boss and Smith. He was ****ting bricks and signed several wide-outs. He had no freaking idea Cruz would blossom to the player he is now. And I bet he envisioned a Pascoe/Beckum combination to tide them over a year at TE, I seriously doubt anyone believed Ballard was the real deal before the season began.

I love Jerry Reese, and I do think he drafts today to replace next year's, and the following year's free agents; but saying he wasn't out fishing for wide outs?That's BS. He signed Thomas, and drafted Jernigan. He expected Hixon to be on the field, not Cruz, just like the rest of us. We all hoped Cruz was the three touchdown superstar we saw against the Jets the previous preseason; but to say Jerry was counting on it? Come on, that's just stupid.

I think you'll see him take the best player in the first, especially if there's a really good tackle left, and he'll start looking down the road in the second or third round. A running back has to come somewhere in the first four rounds; but other than that I think we'll see more surprises this year, more understudies for guys who are going to be free agents in two or three years. That's just smart GM work in the salary cap era, and a big reason why we haven't endured a losing season in quite a while. Jerry's constantly rebuilding, and doesn't let all his talent go to hell at once.

RoanokeFan
03-11-2012, 03:04 PM
<font color="#0000FF">This article was comical at the end, saying that Reese knew he had Ballard and Cruz to replace Boss and Smith. He was ****ting bricks and signed several wide-outs. He had no freaking idea Cruz would blossom to the player he is now. And I bet he envisioned a Pascoe/Beckum combination to tide them over a year at TE, I seriously doubt anyone believed Ballard was the real deal before the season began.</font>

I love Jerry Reese, and I do think he drafts today to replace next year's, and the following year's free agents; but saying he wasn't out fishing for wide outs?That's BS. He signed Thomas, and drafted Jernigan. He expected Hixon to be on the field, not Cruz, just like the rest of us. We all hoped Cruz was the three touchdown superstar we saw against the Jets the previous preseason; but to say Jerry was counting on it? Come on, that's just stupid.

I think you'll see him take the best player in the first, especially if there's a really good tackle left, and he'll start looking down the road in the second or third round. A running back has to come somewhere in the first four rounds; but other than that I think we'll see more surprises this year, more understudies for guys who are going to be free agents in two or three years. That's just smart GM work in the salary cap era, and a big reason why we haven't endured a losing season in quite a while. Jerry's constantly rebuilding, and doesn't let all his talent go to hell at once.

I have to disagree. They know far more about their players that we ever will. Did he know how much of an impact both Cruz and Ballard would make, no. But he does have a good feel for potential and those are two shining examples as were Hixon and Bradshaw.

jmike
03-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Wow, somebody is suggesting that Jerry Reese does not select best player available.....how absurd!

allentown PA
03-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Wow, somebody is suggesting that Jerry Reese does not select best player available.....how absurd!

JR said in an interview with NFL network that he does BPA.

egyptian420
03-11-2012, 04:37 PM

He certainly does. The Prince and JPP picks were both BPA picks of positions that we didn't really <u>need</u>.

Even though the Nicks pick was a position that we needed for that year, I still think Reese viewed him as the BPA, as he was in my opinion.

allentown PA
03-11-2012, 04:40 PM

He certainly does. The Prince and JPP picks were both BPA picks of positions that we didn't really <u>need</u>.

Even though the Nicks pick was a position that we needed for that year, I still think Reese viewed him as the BPA, as he was in my opinion.

BPA is a funny term..its who the giants consider the BPA..doesnt mean other teams evaluate the same way...I was under the impression that JR targets specific poitions until I saw that interview on the NFL network.

egyptian420
03-11-2012, 04:47 PM

BPA is a funny term..its who the giants consider the BPA..doesnt mean other teams evaluate the same way...I was under the impression that JR targets specific poitions until I saw that interview on the NFL network.
Yea, every team pretty much has a list of who they think is the BPA at each pick. Thankfully, our top scout Marc Ross is a brilliant talent evaluator and I would imagine him and Reese (along with our other scouts) compose a pretty darn good list.

allentown PA
03-11-2012, 04:52 PM

Yea, every team pretty much has a list of who they think is the BPA at each pick. Thankfully, our top scout Marc Ross is a brilliant talent evaluator and I would imagine him and Reese (along with our other scouts) compose a pretty darn good list.

ross is great...is he still here? I heard we lost him to the bears...thanks for article Roanoke but the guy is wrong.

egyptian420
03-11-2012, 04:59 PM

ross is great...is he still here? I heard we lost him to the bears...thanks for article Roanoke but the guy is wrong.
Na he's still here, the bears interviewed him for a GM job but he didn't get it.

jmike
03-11-2012, 05:34 PM

BPA is a funny term..its who the giants consider the BPA..doesnt mean other teams evaluate the same way...I was under the impression that JR targets specific poitions until I saw that interview on the NFL network.Yes because you can believe everything somebody says on a television interview.

allentown PA
03-11-2012, 05:50 PM

BPA is a funny term..its who the giants consider the BPA..doesnt mean other teams evaluate the same way...I was under the impression that JR targets specific poitions until I saw that interview on the NFL network.Yes because you can believe everything somebody says on a television interview.

what reason would he have to lie about that? It doesnt matter who knows.

BlueBlitzer
03-11-2012, 06:21 PM
When George Young came on board He had to turn everything around. From scouts to a true Draft Board which would hold everyone's feet to the fire when it came time to pick. ( You see He had heard the rumors of the Giants picking names out of Street and Smiths magazine ) And for those of you who weren't around when Phil Simms was picked #1, Oh brother did the media howl. There wasn't a rock big enough for me to hide under from my friends. Was Simms BPA ? We as Fans had no idea, but George Young knew.

RoanokeFan
03-11-2012, 07:41 PM
When George Young came on board He had to turn everything around. From scouts to a true Draft Board which would hold everyone's feet to the fire when it came time to pick. ( You see He had heard the rumors of the Giants picking names out of Street and Smiths magazine ) And for those of you who weren't around when Phil Simms was picked #1, Oh brother did the media howl. There wasn't a rock big enough for me to hide under from my friends. Was Simms BPA ? We as Fans had no idea, but George Young knew.

I'll never forget George saying "most of the time, all you get out of free agency is someone else's problem." He said that at a time when free agency was just becoming a household name. But it does speak to the team's tradition of building/developing through the draft.

Drez
03-11-2012, 08:37 PM
He certainly does. The Prince and JPP picks were both BPA picks of positions that we didn't really <U>need</U>.

</P>

Of course JR is going to say he picks BPA, to say otherwise would insinuate that there was a better player, a better option, that he could have drafted.</P>

JPP was actually a need pick. JR knew the mess he had on his hands with Osi, and Kiwi was a FA last season.Just because it wasn't an immediate need doesn't make it any less of a need. Was it our biggest need? No, probably not, but it was still a need.</P>

Same with Amukamara. He knew that both TT and Ross were going to be FAs this offseason. Bringing in PA last season gives him more leverage in negotiations... and fills a need at CB for this upcoming season as PA would have a season under his belt (of course no one foresaw Prince breaking his foot in his second practice).</P>

RoanokeFan
03-11-2012, 09:15 PM

</p>

<font color="#0000FF">Of course JR is going to say he picks BPA, to say otherwise would insinuate that there was a better player, a better option, that he could have drafted.</font></p>

JPP was actually a need pick. JR knew the mess he had on his hands with Osi, and Kiwi was a FA last season.Just because it wasn't an immediate need doesn't make it any less of a need. Was it our biggest need? No, probably not, but it was still a need.</p>

Same with Amukamara. He knew that both TT and Ross were going to be FAs this offseason. Bringing in PA last season gives him more leverage in negotiations... and fills a need at CB for this upcoming season as PA would have a season under his belt (of course no one foresaw Prince breaking his foot in his second practice).</p>

Not really. If they went for NEED exclusively they would pick the highest rated player AT THAT POSITION who was still on the board. Say they need a tight end but when their pick comes there is a JPP on their board. BPA goes with JPP, NEED goes with the TE.

egyptian420
03-11-2012, 09:17 PM

</p>

Of course JR is going to say he picks BPA, to say otherwise would insinuate that there was a better player, a better option, that he could have drafted.</p>

JPP was actually a need pick. JR knew the mess he had on his hands with Osi, and Kiwi was a FA last season.Just because it wasn't an immediate need doesn't make it any less of a need. Was it our biggest need? No, probably not, but it was still a need.</p>

Same with Amukamara. He knew that both TT and Ross were going to be FAs this offseason. Bringing in PA last season gives him more leverage in negotiations... and fills a need at CB for this upcoming season as PA would have a season under his belt (of course no one foresaw Prince breaking his foot in his second practice).</p>
Ofcourse all of these things are concerns in the draft room. The Ross and T2 situations were definitely a topic of discussion in the draft room when our pick was up but I doubt they went in there thinking they were going to get Prince....he merely fell to us

There's no way to know for sure but I honestly doubt they were planning on getting a CB in the first round of that draft. Prince was simply a bargain at where we were picking, and it also made sense when you add the T2 and Ross contracts. He was certainly perceived to be the BPA at the time, we'll see if he was in the coming years.

I also don't think they went into the 2010 draft planning to get a DE in the first round, but again, that's arguable since no one really knows for sure. I feel like they drafted JPP because he was a rare specimen that doesn't come around too often. They had him ranked with other players from the draft, and if the Eagles had picked him instead of Graham, we would've had the next best ranked person on the list, which could've been another position all together. We could've had Weatherspoon if JPP was gone, I don't think we were going into the draft with the intention of getting any DE in the first round.

Again, this is just my opinion.

Spizi
03-11-2012, 09:33 PM

You didn't think that CB was a need when last year Ross was basically considered a bust, and TT was coming into a contract year? CB depth was absolutely a need because you need 3 solid guys at the position.

DE may not have looked like a need in 2010, but as the article explained when you look deeper, Kiwi was entering a contract year and Osi was/is somewhat of a one trick pony.

At the end of the day, every position on roster can be upgraded so technically every pick is a need.

allentown PA
03-11-2012, 09:45 PM

You didn't think that CB was a need when last year Ross was basically considered a bust, and TT was coming into a contract year? CB depth was absolutely a need because you need 3 solid guys at the position.

DE may not have looked like a need in 2010, but as the article explained when you look deeper, Kiwi was entering a contract year and Osi was/is somewhat of a one trick pony.

At the end of the day, every position on roster can be upgraded so technically every pick is a need.

oh i agree...it appears that he drafts by need, I was on that wagon until I saw the interview...Ill take JR at his word..if he says he goes BPA , I believe him.

jmike
03-11-2012, 10:05 PM

</p>

Of course JR is going to say he picks BPA, to say otherwise would insinuate that there was a better player, a better option, that he could have drafted.</p>

Ofcourse all of these things are concerns in the draft room. The Ross and T2 situations were definitely a topic of discussion in the draft room when our pick was up but I doubt they went in there thinking they were going to get Prince....he merely fell to us

There's no way to know for sure but I honestly doubt they were planning on getting a CB in the first round of that draft. Prince was simply a bargain at where we were picking, and it also made sense when you add the T2 and Ross contracts. He was certainly perceived to be the BPA at the time, we'll see if he was in the coming years.

I also don't think they went into the 2010 draft planning to get a DE in the first round, but again, that's arguable since no one really knows for sure. I feel like they drafted JPP because he was a rare specimen that doesn't come around too often. They had him ranked with other players from the draft, and if the Eagles had picked him instead of Graham, we would've had the next best ranked person on the list, which could've been another position all together. We could've had Weatherspoon if JPP was gone, I don't think we were going into the draft with the intention of getting any DE in the first round.

Yes, shame nobody could see months before the draft that they were targeting CB.

allentown PA
03-11-2012, 10:07 PM

</p>

JPP was actually a need pick. JR knew the mess he had on his hands with Osi, and Kiwi was a FA last season.*Just because it wasn't an immediate need doesn't make it any less of a need. Was it our biggest need? No, probably not, but it was still a need.</p>

Yes, shame nobody could see months before the draft that they were targeting CB.

u did and nobody else on here did u also nailed what they would do in later rounds...but the guy said in an interview thats what he does...i dont see why he would lie.

Drez
03-11-2012, 10:12 PM
He certainly does. The Prince and JPP picks were both BPA picks of positions that we didn't really <U>need</U>.

</P>

Of course JR is going to say he picks BPA, to say otherwise would insinuate that there was a better player, a better option, that he could have drafted.</P>

JPP was actually a need pick. JR knew the mess he had on his hands with Osi, and Kiwi was a FA last season.Just because it wasn't an immediate need doesn't make it any less of a need. Was it our biggest need? No, probably not, but it was still a need.</P>

Same with Amukamara. He knew that both TT and Ross were going to be FAs this offseason. Bringing in PA last season gives him more leverage in negotiations... and fills a need at CB for this upcoming season as PA would have a season under his belt (of course no one foresaw Prince breaking his foot in his second practice).</P>

u did and nobody else on here did u also nailed what they would do in later rounds...but the guy said in an interview thats what he does...i dont see why he would lie.</P>

Honestly, I don't see why he'd tell the truth. I trust nothing a GM says when it comes to FA or the draft. It's all smokescreen and obfuscation. Especially, if he was talking about a "curious" pick, such as JPP. JR could have simply been deflected any criticism by saying that he took/takes BPA. </P>

Honestly, I think he drafts value/need more than purely BPA.</P>

jmike
03-11-2012, 10:12 PM

</p>

u did and nobody else on here did u also nailed what they would do in later rounds...but the guy said in an interview thats what he does...i dont see why he would lie.

Of course not....nobody would ever say anything but the 100% truth while being interviewed on TV.

allentown PA
03-11-2012, 10:14 PM

</P>

JPP was actually a need pick. JR knew the mess he had on his hands with Osi, and Kiwi was a FA last season.*Just because it wasn't an immediate need doesn't make it any less of a need. Was it our biggest need? No, probably not, but it was still a need.</P>

u did and nobody else on here did u also nailed what they would do in later rounds...but the guy said in an interview thats what he does...i dont see why he would lie.</P>

Honestly, I don't see why he'd tell the truth. I trust nothing a GM says when it comes to FA or the draft. It's all smokescreen and obfuscation. Especially, if he was talking about a "curious" pick, such as JPP. JR could have simply been deflected any criticism by saying that he took/takes BPA. </P>

Honestly, I think he drafts value/need more than purely BPA.</P>

it was a recent interview and it was about the upcoming draft...he wasnt being pressed or questioned...it was more a matter of fact...IDK if he does or not but it made me think a bit about what I once thought.

allentown PA
03-11-2012, 10:19 PM

</p>

JPP was actually a need pick. JR knew the mess he had on his hands with Osi, and Kiwi was a FA last season.*Just because it wasn't an immediate need doesn't make it any less of a need. Was it our biggest need? No, probably not, but it was still a need.</p>

Of course not....nobody would ever say anything but the 100% truth while being interviewed on TV.

must you be sarcastic? It appears what he does is target a specific position, I thought thats what they did as well...just saying the guy said they go BPA...it wasnt like he was in front of congress defending his rep or something...i believe him

jmike
03-11-2012, 10:31 PM

</p>

must you be sarcastic? It appears what he does is target a specific position, I thought thats what they did as well...just saying the guy said they go BPA...it wasnt like he was in front of congress defending his rep or something...i believe himThere is no sarcasm. It is the new HD cameras they use now it prevents lying. I know this because somebody said on an interview on TV. And you know people can only tell the 100% truth on TV.

Drez
03-11-2012, 10:33 PM

</P>

must you be sarcastic? It appears what he does is target a specific position, I thought thats what they did as well...just saying the guy said they go BPA...it wasnt like he was in front of congress defending his rep or something...i believe him</P>

Much like I said... I just don't trust GMs when they talk about the draft/FA.</P>

And I'm sure he said it unprompted. Saying that you draft BPA is apretty cliche thing to say. </P>

allentown PA
03-11-2012, 10:39 PM

</p>

must you be sarcastic? It appears what he does is target a specific position, I thought thats what they did as well...just saying the guy said they go BPA...it wasnt like he was in front of congress defending his rep or something...i believe himThere is no sarcasm.* It is the new HD cameras they use now it prevents lying.* I know this because somebody said on an interview on TV.* And you know people can only tell the 100% truth on TV.

sigh

allentown PA
03-11-2012, 10:42 PM

</p>

must you be sarcastic? It appears what he does is target a specific position, I thought thats what they did as well...just saying the guy said they go BPA...it wasnt like he was in front of congress defending his rep or something...i believe himThere is no sarcasm.* It is the new HD cameras they use now it prevents lying.* I know this because somebody said on an interview on TV.* And you know people can only tell the 100% truth on TV.

I've heard of that HD tv but its a waste of time and money imo when we have you who is obvsly an expert on when someone is lying.

jmike
03-11-2012, 10:45 PM

</p>

must you be sarcastic? It appears what he does is target a specific position, I thought thats what they did as well...just saying the guy said they go BPA...it wasnt like he was in front of congress defending his rep or something...i believe himThere is no sarcasm. It is the new HD cameras they use now it prevents lying. I know this because somebody said on an interview on TV. And you know people can only tell the 100% truth on TV.

I've heard of that HD tv but its a waste of time and money imo when we have you who is obvsly an expert on when someone is lying.Not hard really to figure. Combine, GM, with microphone and draft questions. Stir for a few seconds and out pour the untruths.