PDA

View Full Version : Hostetler?

GOBIGBLUE52
03-11-2012, 08:32 PM
I wasn't alive in that season and too young to remember the early 90s, but I feel like Hostetler doesn't really get a lot of attention from anyone in the giants organization or from the fans, likewise, he's kind of disappeared (you always see simms, banks, carson, etc hang around the team now) from the giants. Did it end on bad terms with him or something?

I'm only asking because I'm watching the 1990 America's game and I've always been intrigued by his story being a career backup quarterback coming in and leading us to the SB the way that he did.

Blue daddy
03-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Hoss was great. It was hard playing behind iron man simms but he got his shot and made good. Why he's never around I couldn't tell you.
The thing about Hoss is he could flat out run get you a first down with his legs.

ten280
03-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Jeff Hostetler:1990 = Chase Blackburn:2112

jomo
03-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Jeff Hostetler:1990 = Chase Blackburn:2112Not even close, sorry. Jeff was a legitimate prospect coming out of West Virginia around 1984. He started at Penn State but Paterno wanted to convert him into a linebacker as Jo Pa was inclined to do back them; that led him to the Mountaineers. He was a high draft choice for the Giants which wasn't the case with Blackburn. Hoss was never out of football. To the contrary, he lasted around 12 years with multiple teams. He was also named to the pro-bowl which no one would ever assume with Chase. He also beat out Phil Simms for the starting QB spot the year after the Super Bowl that he won for us. Ray Handley made that decision so there needs to be a double (triple??) asterisk after that fun fact.</P>

The bottom line on Hoss is that he had much higher breeding, expectations and results than Chase who is more of a true Cinderella story.</P>

BornBrooklyn
03-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Hoss = Tyree... He played WR & a gunner on ST.
He just wanted to get on the field...

foosball
03-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Simms was a god back then. In the early 90's I mean. Everyone loved him, everyone wanted him to start, and Hoss took the job in 91. It made a lot of people angry, it was an interesting dynamic. Right at the end of the non-salary cap era, and the Giants were fresh off a 13-3 super bowl winning season. They fell to 8-8 in 1991 and by the end of the year Simms was the starter again, but the team still wasn't winning. In 92, I think Simms won the job back and was starting in week 1, however he got hurt around week 4, something to do with his shoulder and missed the rest of the year.

It was a tough time in Simms career because he was putting up the best numbers of his career WHEN he played, which wasn't as often as a lot of people wanted. And on the flip side of that Hoss was getting pretty bitter, he wanted to be the man, and he wanted to be perceived as the man. Because of that a lot of people didn't like him that much, he wasn't all that popular and when he left the team it was more of a "good riddance thing". You also have to understand that in 93 when Reeves was hired Simms didn't have to win the job in camp, Reeves was hired and just decided immediatly Simms was the QB and Hoss went to the Raiders.

giantyankee1976
03-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Hoss was decent enough to take over for Phil after his injury.

But our Defense and OJ Andersen did their thing as well.

in the end, Hoss never got out from underneath Simms' shadow.

He did well in Oakland I suppose but...

MikeSherrard
03-11-2012, 09:56 PM
I just recently watched the '90 NFC champ game and the '90 Bowl (got to love Apple TV!!!

Hoss was absolutely awesome! He made an inordinate amount of clutch third down conversions. His accuracy, composure, poise and toughness was remarkable. He took a significant amount of hits and kept getting up and providing big plays.

OJ and the defense get a lot of the credit but make no mistake they don't win either game without Hoss.

On another note, I'll argue with anyone that the MVP of both those games was Dave Megget!!!! That guy was all over the field! Shot out of a cannon every snap!

I Bleed Blue
03-11-2012, 10:06 PM

You should never, I mean never, say something like this again. Hoss was the first true backup to win a SB. He did not throw a single INT from the day he took over for the injured Simms during 1990 season.

He used a quote that I never heard another QB say, and that was, "interceptions are a unnecessary evil". His ball security was outstanding. He was a class act as well. Absolutely loved the guy. Chase doesn't belong in the same sentence.

RoanokeFan
03-11-2012, 10:10 PM

Easy now, let's not go crazy

GmenFan1980
03-11-2012, 11:26 PM

Easy now, let's not go crazy

2112 hasn't happened yet, so who knows :P. Chase could be the oldest back up QB to ever play and win a SB lol

JJC7301
03-12-2012, 12:28 AM
Hoss was a great guy who complained (and almost retired before the '90 season out of frustration) because he felt (correctly) that he was a starter. Not necessarily that he should be given Simms's job, but starting somewhere in the NFL. And a lot more money comes with that, too.

I don't feel like anyone's forgotten Hoss. He was probably the story line of the SB 25 playoffs. But he just didn't have that Giant career-longevity that Simms had.

In a way, maybe we can compare Hoss to Doug Williams in terms of attention and noteriety? Simms will always be more well known and remembered than Hoss because he was a long term great Giant, while Hoss had his moment in the sun. Same with Theisman (long time Redskin) vs. Doug Williams (moment in the sun with SB 26).

foosball
03-12-2012, 01:38 AM
Hoss was a great guy who complained (and almost retired before the '90 season out of frustration) because he felt (correctly) that he was a starter. Not necessarily that he should be given Simms's job, but starting somewhere in the NFL. And a lot more money comes with that, too.

I don't feel like anyone's forgotten Hoss. He was probably the story line of the SB 25 playoffs. But he just didn't have that Giant career-longevity that Simms had.

In a way, maybe we can compare Hoss to Doug Williams in terms of attention and noteriety? Simms will always be more well known and remembered than Hoss because he was a long term great Giant, while Hoss had his moment in the sun. Same with Theisman (long time Redskin) vs. Doug Williams (moment in the sun with SB 26).

While I agree with your comparison from the team perspective I must point out Doug Williams wasn't half as good as Hoss.

SweetZombieJesus
03-12-2012, 07:33 AM
Yeah but the 1990 team always gets short shrift compared to the 1986 team and it's always been that way.

I've always felt bad for the 1990 team -- at the time they were considered dinosaurs, even after they won the Super Bowl. It was right in the midst of the breakout of the first Gulf War (Desert Storm) so there was no celebration and afterglow. I remember Ed Krotch emphatically denying them a parade in NYC (which makes me grateful for Bloomberg doing it 2x). The team was considered lucky, a dinosaur throwback team which won with a backup QB and a washed-up RB, not sexy at all like the 49ers or Bills. Then on top of that the offseason of disaster which was one of the worst ever, culminating in Parcells quitting in late May after it was far too late to bring in a new staff.

In those dark Ray Handley years the big debate was "Hoss or Simms", who is the QB of the future. When Dan Reeves came in, 1993, the first thing he did was pick a guy (Simms) and sent the other somewhere else (Hoss). One good thing he did. Except after a pro-bowl 1993 Simms had shoulder surgery and would be cut before the 1994 season. Simms still had 2-3 years in the tank IMO.

Hoss went to the Raiders and thrived there for a few years, and then bounced around a little in the years after that.

Hoss runs his farm in West Virginia, last I saw, while Simms is one of the best NFL announcers on CBS and does other shows like Inside the NFL. He never left the spotlight. That contributes to it.

GMENAGAIN
03-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Jeff Hostetler:1990 = Chase Blackburn:2112Wow, how incredibly dumb . . . . . </P>

GMENAGAIN
03-12-2012, 09:20 AM
I'm still wondering how Hoss didn't fumble the ball in the end zone during the SB when he had the ball in one hand and Bruce Smith tomahawked his arm. If the Bills score a TD instead of a safety there, it's a whole different game . . . .

giantyankee1976
03-12-2012, 09:40 AM
The team was considered lucky, a dinosaur throwback team which won with a backup QB and a washed-up RB, not sexy at all like the 49ers or Bills.*

Then on top of that the offseason of disaster which was one of the worst ever, culminating in Parcells quitting in late May after it was far too late to bring in a new staff.

In those dark Ray Handley years the big debate was "Hoss or Simms", who is the QB of the future.*

When Dan Reeves came in, 1993, the first thing he did was pick a guy (Simms) and sent the other somewhere else (Hoss).

In Summary, beautifully done.

In my years of life we never seem to break even as a "favorite."

You kind of deal with it.

the 1990 Team also "got lucky" with a wide right FG kick.

Kruunch
03-12-2012, 09:53 AM

^ this

easterbeast
03-12-2012, 11:21 AM
it was nice to see hos play and run around after seeing phil for so many years who is basicly a statue

njersey
03-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Simms was a god back then.* In the early 90's I mean.* Everyone loved him, everyone wanted him to start, and Hoss took the job in 91.* It made a lot of people angry, it was an interesting dynamic.* Right at the end of the non-salary cap era, and the Giants were fresh off a 13-3 super bowl winning season.* They fell to 8-8 in 1991 and by the end of the year Simms was the starter again, but the team still wasn't winning.* In 92, I think Simms won the job back and was starting in week 1, however he got hurt around week 4, something to do with his shoulder and missed the rest of the year.*

It was a tough time in Simms career because he was putting up the best numbers of his career WHEN he played, which wasn't as often as a lot of people wanted.* And on the flip side of that Hoss was getting pretty bitter, he wanted to be the man, and he wanted to be perceived as the man.* Because of that a lot of people didn't like him that much, he wasn't all that popular and when he left the team it was more of a "good riddance thing".* You also have to understand that in 93 when Reeves was hired Simms didn't have to win the job in camp, Reeves was hired and just decided immediatly Simms was the QB and Hoss went to the Raiders.*

I agree and was also angry. Still angry. Ray Handley is an idiot.

Pksoze
03-12-2012, 10:14 PM
I know I missed Hoss especially during the Dave Brown era.

freeoscar
03-13-2012, 11:52 AM
I'm still wondering how Hoss didn't fumble the ball in the end zone during the SB when he had the ball in one hand and Bruce Smith tomahawked his arm.* If the Bills score a TD instead of a safety there, it's a whole different game . . . .

Most amazing play. That's Real strength from growing up on the farm.

Speaking of forgotten Giants QBs, I ran across Scott Brunner the other week. He's a financial advisor or something like that. Super nice guy. Everyone forgets the job he did taking the Giants out of the 60s/70s/Pisarcik darkness while Simms was always hurt.

Bashum_Blue
03-13-2012, 12:08 PM
I, distinctly remember Hoss getting hit out of bounds on a play and getting back up and shoving his hand in the guy's face. He was one tough SOB and took no crap.

I think it was a Broncos game.

Harooni
03-13-2012, 12:41 PM
i beileve one of his coaches was Sandusky

(poor jeff)

G-Man67
03-13-2012, 01:09 PM
well Hoss is defintely immortalized in Giants history ... as any QB that is part of a Super Bowl win would be</P>

he was the 1st QB that I rooted passionately for that could run, so I remember being excited by that aspect of his game</P>

he ended up going to daaaa Raiders, where he was routinely pounded into the ground ... he had maybe one decent year with them</P>

finishedwith the Skins, but never was very effective ... the beating he took in Oakland took away his running ability</P>

Roswell777
03-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Hoss was fun to watch. He improvised, ran and also had a good arm.

He was also tough. In the '90 Championship Game he took a shot to his knees by Jim Burt that I didn't think he was going to get up from, let alone finish the game and when he came back in after a talk with Parcells and maybe a shot from the team dr., he played even better to crush the 49ers attempt at a threepeat.

In those days, us Giant fans hated the 49ers as much, if not more, than the Eagles, Cowboys and Redskins.

Huge rivalry.

And Hoss delivered big time.