PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Hillis

trenken311
03-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Well I said this a couple months ago and I stick by it now that Jacobs is gone, I really wouldn't mind the Giants bringing him in.

He's a strong power back that could use a change of scenery, and might be motivated on the Giants.

He's only 26. As long as the contract isn't ridiculous I think it could be worth it. Just something about him makes me think he's perfect for this team.

giantsfan420
03-12-2012, 09:31 AM
i dunno i worry about the idea. if he cracked under the pressure in Cleveland and talked about retiring to become a CIA agent, how do you think he'll handle the NYC media? thats pressure x1,000,000...it takes a certain kind of player to be successful here otherwise you end up like Plex acting out and messing things up for the team or like Sanchez who needs to be coddled and protected which hurts the locker room mentality

buddy33
03-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Doesn't he want a lot of money?

Didn't he kind of quit on his team?

No thanks.

trenken311
03-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Doesn't he want a lot of money?

Didn't he kind of quit on his team?

No thanks.

He ran for 1200yds in 2010, then was injured for part of 2011, and the Browns were talking **** about him during that time.

Change of scenery, moving to a contender can completely change people. Some guys are worth taking a chance on. We took a chance on Plax when the Steelers dumped him, and that worked out pretty well, and I dont think Hillis is quite as dumb as Plax is.

giantsfan420
03-12-2012, 09:38 AM
http://www.nfl.com/player/peytonhillis/1980/combine

according to the scouting reports on him, he actually would be the perfect replacement to Jacobs...just wonder about his mentality...spelling bradshaw, he could be dominant, although I think he thinks he should be the #1 RB...good at catching passes...and we could actually use him and bradshaw on the field at the same time which I always wanted to see with Jacobs...if we weren't going to give Jacobs 2 mil a year, I doubt we'll give that to Hillis tho

giantsfan420
03-12-2012, 09:41 AM
http://walterfootball.com/draft2008FB.php

40 time 4.57 was his best time at his Pro Day. benched 225 26x...guy has the power and similar style of play to Jacobs as a RB although it seemed he should be a FB...

giantsfan420
03-12-2012, 09:43 AM
http://walterfootball.com/draft2008FB.php

40 time 4.57 was his best time at his Pro Day. benched 225 26x...guy has the power and similar style of play to Jacobs as a RB although it seemed he should be a FB...

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/03/01/free-agent-scouting-report-browns-rb-peyton-hillis
FA scouting report. Paired with Bradshaw, he could be a bigtime factor. He can't be the main guy bc of injury concerns, but he is an everydown back bc he can catch the ball and run routes very well for someone of his style...

trenken311
03-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Yeah he does look like a FB, but he is a RB. FBs dont put up 1200yds in this league. He obviously has the ability.

He had 1 questionable season. Got injured, then the Browns turned on him and he lost the will to play for that miserable franchise.

It's tough for power backs to play through injuries. How many times have we seen this with Jacobs? I think guys with obvious talent deserve a second chance. We gave that to Plax and it worked. There's a decent chance this could work too.

Kruunch
03-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Wants a lot of money ... gave contract headaches ... injury issues ....

Meh.

giantsfan420
03-12-2012, 09:50 AM
one way he is different and imho better for our offense than jacobs is that hillis is quick but doesn't have good breakaway speed where Jacobs isn't very quick but can break away with deceptive speed...i'm intrigued after doing a lil reading on Hillis

trenken311
03-12-2012, 09:51 AM

Meh.

Ok, well what about Cedric Benson?

trenken311
03-12-2012, 09:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4Siz0haJ38

Im watching some highlights of Hillis. I can already see him in a Giants uniform. He just looks like a Giant to me. The dude is just a beast.

If the contract isnt crazy long, kind of like a prove what you can do contract then we'll reward you, screw it, just bring him in here. Could turn out to be huge.

titwio
03-12-2012, 10:00 AM
C'mon guys...Why keeping bringing this up. Why bring in Hillis when he'd be making a lot more money than what the Giants were offering Jacobs... Hillis isn't the best RB with ball security either... In 2010 he had 8 fumbles. (More than Bradshaw that year)

Don't know about you guys but with his attitude towards his contract last year, durability issues and ball security...I wouldn't be too excited for him anyway. The Giants can easily land a RB in the draft who'd be getting paid a lot less and have a lot less headaches.

GMENAGAIN
03-12-2012, 10:06 AM
C'mon guys...Why keeping bringing this up. Why bring in Hillis when he'd be making a lot more money than what the Giants were offering Jacobs... Hillis isn't the best RB with ball security either... In 2010 he had 8 fumbles. (More than Bradshaw that year) Don't know about you guys but with his attitude towards his contract last year, durability issues and ball security...I wouldn't be too excited for him anyway. The Giants can easily land a RB in the draft who'd be getting paid a lot less and have a lot less headaches.</P>

+1</P>

Nailed it.</P>

Kruunch
03-12-2012, 10:08 AM

Meh.

Ok, well what about Cedric Benson?

Rusty retread? Possible as a one year fix but he wouldn't excite me if they went direction.

If we went FA with our RB needs (which I don't think we will) I'd be more in favor of the Law Firm (Ben Jarvis Green Ellis). He's extremely underrated (i.e. he'll be cheap), NEVER fumbles, is used to doing pass protection and is a better short yardage back then Jacobs ever was.

The only downside is that he isn't particularly notable for catching out of the backfield (which I think we need desperately).

If BJ doesn't get re-signed, I think we're looking at drafting someone like Robert Turbin in the 4th this year. Something to that effect.

MattMeyerBud
03-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Well I said this a couple months ago and I stick by it now that Jacobs is gone, I really wouldn't mind the Giants bringing him in.

He's a strong power back that could use a change of scenery, and might be motivated on the Giants.

He's only 26. As long as the contract isn't ridiculous I think it could be worth it. Just something about him makes me think he's perfect for this team.

hes in the second half of his career. Only 26 at a RBer isn't as great as only 26 as a defensive end

Kase-1
03-12-2012, 10:37 AM
How has NOBODY mentioned 'The Madden Curse'?!?!?

Since John Madden left the cover of the Madden football videogames, the athlete to grace the cover has had great pre-madden careers then all of a sudden their careers TANK after being on the face of the game

Flip Empty
03-12-2012, 10:44 AM

Since John Madden left the cover of the Madden football videogames, the athlete to grace the cover has had great pre-madden careers then all of a sudden their careers TANK after being on the face of the game

Because there's no such thing as a curse. As for their careers tanking, well, no.
Drew Brees, Larry Fitzgerald, Troy Polamalu and Ray Lewis seem to be doing just fine, and Vick had that monster season a year ago.
Vince Young was a never-was, Mcnabb was already fading and Brett Favre was Brett Favre.
Shaun Alexander's disappearance is the only odd one.

Kase-1
03-12-2012, 10:51 AM

Because there's no such thing as a curse. As for their careers tanking, well, no.
Drew Brees, Larry Fitzgerald, Troy Polamalu and Ray Lewis seem to be doing just fine, and Vick had that monster season a year ago.
Vince Young was a never-was, Mcnabb was already fading and Brett Favre was Brett Favre.

Eddie George
Dante Culpepper
Marshall Faulk
Michael Vick
Troy P (constantly injured since being on the cover)
Shaun Alexander
Vince Young

So out of the group we have 3 players who havent had horrible downswings after gracing the cover of Madden... Curse, Jinx, Hex, call it what you want, but I NEVER want anyone on the Giants on the cover of madden

Tommy_Ribs
03-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Hillis is worth a look.

He has ability.

If he had a good contract and is surrounded by good veterans it is a good situation for a guy who has shown that he can do it.

Easy-Duz-It
03-12-2012, 11:28 AM
what about him makes him perfect for this team? the fact that he's an oversized halfback like jacobs?

hillis is garbage. please keep him away from the giants. the giants will either re-sign jacobs, work with what they have, and/or draft a running back to work with. all are superior options to signing the one-year wonder peyton hillis.

jparmer
03-12-2012, 12:22 PM

Ive written an article on the madden curse for a videogame website a friend of mine runs. Since Eddie George took the cover in 98 every player that has been on the cover has had some sort of change. With the exception of Larry Fitzgerald but he was on the cover with troy p. A case can be made for each of them whether it was injury, bad production following the cover year or career damaging effects. I posted a link to the article in an "eli Manning madden cover" post in the entertainment section if anyone is interested.

giantsfan420
03-12-2012, 12:30 PM
what about him makes him perfect for this team? the fact that he's an oversized halfback like jacobs?

hillis is garbage. please keep him away from the giants. the giants will either re-sign jacobs, work with what they have, and/or draft a running back to work with. all are superior options to signing the one-year wonder peyton hillis.

r u ******ed? 1200 yards in that division? baltimore, pitt., and cinc. with NO PASS GAME...yeah he's garbage...

ShockeyShow
03-12-2012, 12:36 PM
I think this Hillis or Michael Bush are very viable options for us if Jacobs doesn't somehow wind up back here before the pre-season.

I'd prefer Bush though, for 3 reasons.

1) He averaged 3.8 ypc to Hillis' 3.6
2) He averaged 11.3 YPR to Hillis' 8.3
and most importantly
3) He only fumbled 1 time last year and will still come at a cheaper price than Hillis'

It's a no-brainer really...that too, he has a brain, whereas Hillis seems to be a head-case from time to time

Tommy_Ribs
03-12-2012, 01:00 PM
I think this Hillis or Michael Bush are very viable options for us if Jacobs doesn't somehow wind up back here before the pre-season.

I'd prefer Bush though, for 3 reasons.

1) He averaged 3.8 ypc to Hillis' 3.6
2) He averaged 11.3 YPR to Hillis' 8.3
and most importantly
3) He only fumbled 1 time last year and will still come at a cheaper price than Hillis'

It's a no-brainer really...that too, he has a brain, whereas Hillis seems to be a head-case from time to time

Peyton Hillis, Mike Tolbert or Michael Bush are guys I would have no issue with bringing in.

If Hillis came here and started smashing people, he would become a favorite very quickly.

Definitely agree with you on Bush.

NJGenerals
03-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Bring in Hillis and bring back Jacobs...
I'd love that duo

G-Man67
03-12-2012, 03:41 PM
why not, if the price is right ... i don't think we should have the attitude that we need to replace big with big ... but hey he had quite a run (no pun) a couple years ago ... and while 26 is not young for a RB ... he hasn't had that much wear and tear ... if he's healthy and the price is right, then certainly worth a look

netplus
03-12-2012, 04:07 PM
RB is a position Reese will improve through the draft, not free agency. Just look where he has spent the FA dollars in the past. McKenzie, Baas, Canty, Rolle. Injury prone fumble prone Hillis will not happen. OT is the priority.

nygsb42champs
03-12-2012, 04:13 PM
We still have to many of our own to resign before we can look at adding anybody else.

mainegiantsfan
03-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Hillis runs with attitude. No way tipitoe behind the line. This would be a big upgrade over Jacobs.

MattMeyerBud
03-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Hillis runs with attitude. No way tipitoe behind the line. This would be a big upgrade over Jacobs.

except the guy is a head case and when the browns don't want to deal with you and your a big talent, yoiu know theres a problem

mainegiantsfan
03-12-2012, 05:00 PM
I think Coughlin can handle him. He loves a player with guts, and know they would get along. He could be difference next year. He can have that type of impact on the offense. I'd expect another break out year.

giantsfan420
03-12-2012, 05:03 PM

except the guy is a head case and when the browns don't want to deal with* you and your a big talent, yoiu know theres a problem

because jacobs is the model of rational behavior right?

i think hillis mental capacity and jacobs mental capacity are similar if not exact. you don't openly want and seek contact (their style of running) without having a screw or two loose...

hillis is quicker than jacobs, younger than jacobs, and every bit as physical. plus a better passing option by far. if we can't have jacobs or dont want him, but want his caliber of play, Hillis is the PERFECT fit bar none...

mainegiantsfan
03-12-2012, 05:07 PM
In regards to the problem with the Browns. What exactly was the issue? Was there a presonality conflict? I remember Riggs with Washington a number of years back was a little goofy at times, but his speed and power remind me of him.

giantsfan420
03-12-2012, 05:13 PM
In regards to the problem with the Browns. What exactly was the issue? Was there a presonality conflict? I remember Riggs with Washington a number of years back was a little goofy at times, but his speed and power remind me of him.

contract issues. and for the record, the browns still want hillis back. there's a story about it on NFL.com, its just the contract issue and I believe Hillis wanting to go to a winning team

mainegiantsfan
03-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the info. If he wants to go to a winner, no need to look further. Saw him with the Browns a few times, and was very impressed. He would be a big hit with Giants fans I'm sure. This would really carry the day when it comes to getting an impact player in the off season. I would be syked with just him as a pickup.

ShockeyShow
03-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Don't you think you'd naturally be a bit crazy when having to play and live in Cleveland?

I don't think we are pursuing Hillis in the slightest. We might just get Jacobs back with the recent news of the $500K difference.

Like I said earlier....MICHAEL BUSH is a much better (and CHEAPER) option than Hillis anyways.