PDA

View Full Version : GIANTS' NOT EXPECTED TO RE-SIGN DAVE TOLLEFSON

RoanokeFan
03-12-2012, 01:50 PM
GIANTS' NOT EXPECTED TO RE-SIGN DAVE TOLLEFSON (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/03/giants_not_expected_to_re-sign.html)

"Dave Tollefson is not expected to re-sign with the Giants, according to
someone with knowledge of discussions between the defensive end and the
organization.

Tollefson, an unrestricted free agent, has spent the last five seasons with
the team and is coming off his most productive season in which he was the fourth
member of the Giants' vaunted defensive end rotation. He registered a
career-high five sacks, didn't miss a game for the first time in his career, and
started his first two career games while showing versatility by moving inside on
passing downs.</p>

<a href="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/03/08/top.50.free.agents/index.html">SI's
Peter King ranked Tollefson as the No. 41</a> on his list of top free agents and
noted teams will seek his versatility. </p>

Tollefson signed a one-year, minimum contract so he had to wait until free
agency opened tomorrow at 4 p.m. to sign any deal he and the Giants came up with
due to league rules, but it appears as though the two sides will split."</p>

RoanokeFan
03-12-2012, 01:51 PM
This one is confusing if accurate. I'd love to know what the thought process is behind the decision.

ryan12
03-12-2012, 01:54 PM
dont like to hear that i love tolly

TheEnigma
03-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Probably wants more money than he's worth. Simple as that I'd assume. Good luck wherever he plays.

giantyankee1976
03-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Free up more cash?

(sigh) I kinda like Tolly and his action-hero karate kick

titwio
03-12-2012, 02:06 PM
If I had to guess he probably just wants more playing time. He can get that through FA...especially when teams are going to offer him more than the Giants will to be a backup.

I want him back but if he goes...then I wish him well.

TrueBlue@NYC
03-12-2012, 02:06 PM
This one is confusing if accurate. I'd love to know what the thought process is behind the decision.
</P>

I don't think it's all that confusing. Tolly is a good player, but he's still our 4th DE in the rotation and although he plays a good number of snaps, you can't pay someone at the bottom of your depth chart more than minimum contracts and he likely, and understandably, wants more than that. </P>

Unfortunately some team is likely going to sign him to a starters contract and they'll probably be a little disappointed. While Tolly is a great rotational guy, he simply doesn't have the physicaly skills to be a full time starter. </P>

RagTime Blue
03-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Honestly, I think we'll miss him more than Jacobs or Manningham. DE's get hurt an awful lot, and he's been very consistent. Hope he gets his payday. . .he earned it.

GfieldGmen
03-12-2012, 02:13 PM
I hope someone signs him to a good contract and he becomes a productive starter. He has been a quality cheap reserve with the Giants for 5 seasons.

Go get paid Tolly.

bLuereverie
03-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Probably wants more money than he's worth. Simple as that I'd assume. Good luck wherever he plays.

Or maybe he wants more than what he wasn't worth, which was the league minimum last season.

I was surprised Tolly signed last season, he's a good role player who will get plenty more snaps anywhere else.

Gotta love the guy's motor, I wish him nothing but the best.

RoanokeFan
03-12-2012, 02:27 PM
</p>

I don't think it's all that confusing. Tolly is a good player, but he's still our 4th DE in the rotation and although he plays a good number of snaps, you can't pay someone at the bottom of your depth chart more than minimum contracts and he likely, and understandably, wants more than that. </p>

Unfortunately some team is likely going to sign him to a starters contract and they'll probably be a little disappointed. While Tolly is a great rotational guy, he simply doesn't have the physicaly skills to be a full time starter. </p>

His role in the rotation is what worries me. He's not a starter, not here or probably anywhere. If he can get a big pay day somewhere, good for him. I just worry that we've messed with the DLine.

GameTime
03-12-2012, 02:30 PM
</P>

I don't think it's all that confusing. Tolly is a good player, but he's still our 4th DE in the rotation and although he plays a good number of snaps, you can't pay someone at the bottom of your depth chart more than minimum contracts and he likely, and understandably, wants more than that. </P>

Unfortunately some team is likely going to sign him to a starters contract and they'll probably be a little disappointed. While Tolly is a great rotational guy, he simply doesn't have the physicaly skills to be a full time starter. </P>

His role in the rotation is what worries me. He's not a starter, not here or probably anywhere. If he can get a big pay day somewhere, good for him. I just worry that we've messed with the DLine.
</P>

if it is a money deal I wonder what he wanted compared to what he was offered. You would think they would offer him a bit mor than the minimum. They are strapped but he is worth a bot more than the min. </P>

Good luck to him. I will keep tabs on his play. </P>

giantyankee1976
03-12-2012, 02:30 PM
His role in the rotation is what worries me.* He's not a starter, not here or probably anywhere.* If he can get a big pay day somewhere, good for him.* I just worry that we've messed with the DLine.

good points. If the DLine also loses Osi, I may actually start worrying.

I know everyone has inked JPP as Umenyiora's obvious replacement but I like the variety that we have or had.

(and yes I remember that Marv Austin is waiting in the wings but thoughts of Sintim still haunt me)

TheEnigma
03-12-2012, 02:33 PM

Or maybe he wants more than what he wasn't worth, which was the league minimum last season.

I was surprised Tolly signed last season, he's a good role player who will get plenty more snaps anywhere else.

Gotta love the guy's motor, I wish him nothing but the best.It's a case of not tying too much money into a guy that far down the depth charts. Yes, he's better than his position on the chart but we have more pressing matters to invest our money in. I just hope he gets a decent deal elsewhere.

G-Man67
03-12-2012, 02:34 PM
well not to oversimplify it, but he is 4th on our depth chart and he is not going to surpass JPP, Tuck or Osi</P>

but, on another team he could be 2nd or 3rd ... meaning more playing time and more money for him</P>

be sad to see him go, but it also opens the door for younger DEs with more upside to make the team</P>

GiantsFanMan
03-12-2012, 02:35 PM
tolly good enough to be at the very least the 3rd DE on most teams. In NY he is the 4th, and really the 5th because Kiwi would jump him if we had injuries at DE. He can get better money and playing time somewhere else.

chasjay
03-12-2012, 02:37 PM
I have confidence that this is part of a reasonable overall plan, but it never occurred to me that Tollefson wouldn't be back as part of the rotation. I'll be curious to find out if it was strictly the amount of money D.T. is wanting or if there are personnel plans in process that take him out of the picture.

Tommy_Ribs
03-12-2012, 02:42 PM
I wonder if we address this by moving Kiwanuka back to DE?

GameTime
03-12-2012, 02:52 PM
</P>

I think the Giants FO and coaching staf are finally hoping they will have 3 legit LBs out of the froup they have. Not that Kiwi was not legit but I would like to see him back in the DE rotation</P>

nhpgiantsfan
03-12-2012, 02:52 PM
I would bet that if Jerry is willing to part ways with Tolley, then he must be planning for Osi to be a Giant next year. Not the end of the world losing him, but with him and Chase gone, our kicking teams sure have taken a hit.

RoanokeFan
03-12-2012, 03:00 PM

good points. If the DLine also loses Osi, I may actually start worrying.

I know everyone has inked JPP as Umenyiora's obvious replacement but I like the variety that we have or had.

(and yes I remember that Marv Austin is waiting in the wings but thoughts of Sintim still haunt me)

Osi has a year to go under his contract so I'm not worried about him this season. But he and Tuck had a lot of down time last season and Tollefson filled in as expected, getting 5 sacks in the process.

I trust Reese's judgment in all personnel matters so I guess we'll have to wait and see. In the back of my mind I remember Pat Kirwan's mock draft having is drafting DT Still from Penn State in the first round. If they like him that much, maybe it factors into this decision.

RoanokeFan
03-12-2012, 03:02 PM

You always make me feel better [;)]

Hadn't thought about that but it makes sense.

myles2424
03-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Maybe I'm crazy,but if tolly leaves obviously Kiwi will see more snaps at DE...and with Kiwi becomming a FA again this year, I highly doubt he wants to drop his value as a pass rusher even more by playing LB......which leads me to believe SLB will be a big priority.....sintim stinks & now this situation......

netplus
03-12-2012, 03:25 PM
I don't think Tolly will be missed at all. He is awful against the run. The 5 sacks are pretty good for a backup DE, but he missed tackles on a few more sacks he should have had. And at age 30, I don't see any upside.

Kruunch
03-12-2012, 03:52 PM
This one is confusing if accurate.* I'd love to know what the thought process is behind the decision.

1) He's going to make more money elsewhere

2) He'll probably start elsewhere

3) We couldn't sign him until FA in which case it would turn into a bidding war more than likely.

What's confusing?

Kruunch
03-12-2012, 03:54 PM

I think you'll see Kiwi migrate back and forth all year between SAM and DE (in the same game no less).

GMENAGAIN
03-12-2012, 03:56 PM
It's a shame . . . always loved the guy's motor.</P>

I don't begrudge any of these guys for getting as much money as they can . . . . . </P>

JJC7301
03-12-2012, 04:10 PM
If he was being paid a minimum contract (like stated in the article) then God bless him -- go get more money because he deserves it.

He is a very valuable # 4 DE. I'm not saying that we should break the bank for him because we have no cap space anyway, but I'm going to miss him a lot.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-12-2012, 04:23 PM
The biggest thing people aren't saying is what a GREAT GREAT locker room guy Tolly is. He's a GREAT character guy that everyone gets along with.

He's a GREAT ST guy, does the dirty work &amp; everything asked of him &amp; never says a word.

PRFan
03-12-2012, 05:24 PM
I love Tolly, hope he gets his $$!
Kiwi is definately an option to move back to DE but I'm pretty sure he just doesn't like being used as both.
So Reese will go DE in the 1st. This is what it all boils down to :)

mainegiantsfan
03-12-2012, 06:26 PM
The guy fit in very well in every situation, even well liked in the locker room. If the rest of the line (excluding JPP) had his desire, we would be something else.

BigBlue1971
03-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Tolley is a high energy guy. he makes things happen when on the field.</P>

how many times has the guy had a key play in a game?</P>

he might be a valuable d-end for several teams. after all he is coming from the best d-line in football.</P>

JMFP2
03-12-2012, 09:28 PM
I'd hate to see him go, but he's spent the past 5 seasons busting his hump....he deserves a payday, and if some team out there is going to throw rockstar money his way, I couldn't blame him for taking it.

Garbloz
03-12-2012, 09:33 PM

i agree with you %100.

hungrrrry
03-12-2012, 10:23 PM
I expected Tollefson to go this year...I like him and believe he is a starter on some teams so we will see. I do wish him luck in the future...unless he plays elsewhere in the NFC East in which case he can bite it

Medisleman
03-12-2012, 11:37 PM
I'll just miss his mother.

Kase-1
03-12-2012, 11:56 PM
I'll just miss his mother.
LMAO

Those were some great speeches she used to give him, def reminded me of my own Ma.

Gotta LOVE the 'Tolly Cam' videos they had on the Giants Facebook page

Harooni
03-13-2012, 12:05 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i love dave!!!

id cut osi to sign him.

burier
03-13-2012, 12:44 PM
If we stop fooling around with Sintim and move him to DE we won't notice he's gone.

Atomic1
03-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Are you kidding me ! Tollefson is on the field for Punt and Kick coverage as well as every position on the DL . He has speed , a great motor and good energy and also plays thru pain . Big Loss, maybe they should re-think his value.

ShockeyShow
03-13-2012, 12:54 PM
If we stop fooling around with Sintim and move him to DE we won't notice he's gone.

That might be a stretch....Sintim is good, but Tolly's Constant Tenacity game after game, down after down is hard to come by.

I agree with an earlier poster, we will miss Tolly more than Jacobs...Hopefully I'm wrong

GameTime
03-13-2012, 12:57 PM
If we stop fooling around with Sintim and move him to DE we won't notice he's gone.</P>

can Sintim play STs, DE, DL, and be a positive force in the locker room?? Can Sintim even stay healthy???</P>

We dont even know if he can play LB for the Giants yet. </P>

yeah.....yeah...he's a 3-4 guy. What a load of crap.</P>

burier
03-13-2012, 01:08 PM
If we stop fooling around with Sintim and move him to DE we won't notice he's gone.</P>

can Sintim play STs, DE, DL, and be a positive force in the locker room?? Can Sintim even stay healthy???</P>

So we have to remember what type of commodity Tolly actually is. He was another guy we brought in late who would have been sitting at home watching us play if a couple breaks go differently.

Its just my gut telling me that Sintim would be productive at DE. Nothing to base that on other than a few plays in preseason at end his rookie year.

As far as special teams...I mean...we're not gonna cry over losing a guy on specials right?

Also I dont know how much of a presence Tolly was in the locker room but I do remember him saying a couple of slick things when Strah came by to talk to the Dline for what is worth.

Harooni
03-13-2012, 01:30 PM

agreed. tolley brings his energy and motor

Martyr
03-13-2012, 01:40 PM
I thought Tolly was gone last year but they signed him late. Maybe the giants want to develop a new DE like Tracy

Atomic1
05-02-2012, 12:54 PM
I love Tolley's energy on the field as he contributes on Special teams and is always around the ball but if the Giants weren't going to sign OSI then they should of signed Tolley.

TuckYou
05-02-2012, 01:06 PM
I love Tolley's energy on the field as he contributes on Special teams and is always around the ball but if the Giants weren't going to sign OSI then they should of signed Tolley.
</P>

Very strange to dig this up and say that... </P>

Osi is signed, for one more year. Tolly, as much as I liked him, can be replaced pretty easy when you have guys like Tuck, JPP, Osi, Canty, Joseph, Kiwi all creating havoc around him.</P>

JMFP2
05-02-2012, 08:22 PM
</P>

When Tollefson left, it certainly added to the value of Osi.</P>

RoanokeFan
05-02-2012, 08:27 PM

It doesn't work like that. Free agents go where they feel they get the best deal they can. Tollefson felt that was somewhere else.

They are still trying to sign Osi. Since Osi still has a year left on his current contract, he has to play here this season unless he's traded or he holds out.

TuckYou
05-02-2012, 10:26 PM
How much did Tolly get from da raidas

Out of Exile
05-03-2012, 04:23 AM
How much did Tolly get from da raidas

2 year, 3 mill if I am correct. 1.5 guaranteed. Not bad since half his contract is guaranteed. I think he will do well there.

RichGiants81
05-03-2012, 08:26 AM
We couldn't match that??

TuckYou
05-03-2012, 08:38 AM
We couldn't match that??</P>

We didnt want to. WE just gave Blackburn a 1 year vet min 800K contract. Thats probably what we were looking for Tolly. </P>