PDA

View Full Version : Giving Osi a new contract is absolutely essential to our success moving forward

NYG4lifeNYK
03-12-2012, 03:44 PM
We are losing players left & right(so it seems; Rio, Tolly, Ross, possibly T2, we lost Jacobs, Blackburn, Devin Thomas...list goes on)

WE HAVE TO KEEP THIS D-LINE IN-TACT.

Trading Osi would be the biggest mistake of the off season. He is a play maker, a game changer & a true Giant. He is also a big game performer. He has plenty of years left in him, let him retire a Giant.

Give him a 3 year deal & let's keep this pass rush top notch with the best talent for years.

We have to give Tuck a new contract soon as well. Isn't the cap supposed increase in 2013?

alau53
03-12-2012, 03:53 PM
giants should either extend osi or trade him..he will not be a happy giant if he has to play on the one yr $3M remaining..but osi thinks he's a 5yr/50m player when the giants might go 3yrs/20M..i would trade him for a 2 & a 4..this draft is deep in DL & i trust the giants will find a younger cheaper replacement

giantsfan420
03-12-2012, 03:54 PM
since when has devin thomas been lost?

if osi leaves kiwi steps in, not sweating osi. he has 1 yr left on his contract too. depends on osi's attitude, if he's willing to sign a fair, cap friendly contract to retire with the giants, sure who wouldnt be on board.

if he starts demanding tuck and jpp money or holds out, peace.

kiwi is a talented pass rusher in his own right and it seems we finally have solid depth at lb's where if we had to move kiwi, we'd have capable guys behind him.

Kruunch
03-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Change happens.

Having said that I'd like to keep Osi, but if he's going to want $6-8mil a year to do it, I'd rather not mortgage the future.

All depends on how greedy he wants to be about it.

buddy33
03-12-2012, 03:58 PM
The Giants don't have to do anything with Osi right now. He is under contract.

G-Man67
03-12-2012, 04:00 PM
you know im missing something with this Osi stuff</P>

last year it was the same thing ... pay him or trade him</P>

WHY???</P>

he was under contract last year, he played, we won a Super Bowl</P>

he is under contract this year, he'll play, he'll play hard since he wants another big contract and maybe we'll do some more winning</P>

then he's free, no biggie, we have JPP, we'll need $$ to sign Tuck, who is a far better leader than Osi ... and the way the NFL is ... so many things can happen in a year ... a young player could emerge for us ... Osi could get injured again ... maybe Tuck gets hurt and Kiwi goes back to playing more DE and does great ... just so many variables ... i think we simply let Osi play out his contract</P>

burier
03-12-2012, 04:11 PM
This thread is like the Twilight Zone.

A guy who plays 20 snapps a game and is guaranteed to miss something like 3 games is now essential?

Not only is he essential but he's apparently worth a 2nd and 4th in trade value??

And if he does go its fine because we can move Kiwi back to DE because we now have great depth a linebacker???

On Earth none of the above is close to true.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-12-2012, 04:16 PM

A guy who plays 20 snapps a game and is guaranteed to miss something like 3 games is now essential?

Not only is he essential but he's apparently worth a 2nd and 4th in trade value??

And if he does go its fine because we can move Kiwi back to DE because we now have great depth a linebacker???

On earth people realize what a significant loss it would be to lose Osi.

How is Osi guaranteed to miss 3 games? Because he missed time last year? Prior to take he played two straight seasons healthy. Would of been 3 if not for that freak injury in pre season.

Losing Tolly a GREAT character locker room guy, GREAT ST player &amp; good depth on our line.

You keep taking out pieces of what helped you win those championships could have a negative effect.

I trust in Reese, I'm just saying if we can give Osi a new reasonable contract I think we should.

G-Man67
03-12-2012, 04:22 PM
This thread is like the Twilight Zone. A guy who plays 20 snapps a game and is guaranteed to miss something like 3 games is now essential? Not only is he essential but he's apparently worth a 2nd and 4th in trade value?? And if he does go its fine because we can move Kiwi back to DE because we now have great depth a linebacker??? On Earth none of the above is close to true.</P>

you've got the draft, you've got maybe a FA steal, you've got younger players already on the roster at those positions that could emerge</P>

listen, if Osi came to JR and said, hey man, i want to finish my career here and i know i'm getting older and i know i've had some injuries, but i'm willing to sign an incentive-laden contract extension ... then fine, but he isn't going to do that and i don't blame him ... some team that is having more trouble than we are pressuring the QB will over pay him in FA ... that's how it works</P>

as far as a trade .... ok again, if some team says here is a 1st round pick or here is a 2nd and a 4th, then i do that all day and nite ... but it's not happening ... you probably have a bunch of teams offering a 3rd ... andplease, Osi should be a monster next year, since he will need to be to get the money he wants ... and if i'm Jerry, i don't want to have to answer questions when the team goes thru a bad stretch and isn't pressuring the QB and Osi has 8 sacks and 4 FF halfway thru the year for another teamand i'm being asked about the precious 3rd round pick i got</P>

once again, just like last year, we dont have to do anything</P>

burier
03-12-2012, 04:29 PM

How is Osi guaranteed to miss 3 games? Because he missed time last year? Prior to take he played two straight seasons healthy. Would of been 3 if not for that freak injury in pre season.

Losing Tolly a GREAT character locker room guy, GREAT ST player & good depth on our line.

You keep taking out pieces of what helped you win those championships could have a negative effect.

I trust in Reese, I'm just saying if we can give Osi a new reasonable contract I think we should.

Not saying we shouldn't try to make Osi happy but he's a total luxury at this point.

Like I said. We're talking around 20 snaps a game. Strahan said he suit up and play right now if he was promised to be used for no more than 20 snaps.

That alone tells you that he's not essential. Based on his playing time you see he's not essential.

Also losing other players doesn't necessarily raise Osi's value. That would not be a very pragmatic way of dealing with the situation.

As far as missing time..Yeah he's gonna miss at least 2 games this season. He's not getting younger. He missed a bunch of time this past season despite already missing a bunch of time and being used as a situational component. If he's can get hurt playing limited snaps a game in a matter of like 6 games he's a injury risk.

To be fair. I don't see how we can move Kiwi out of Linebacker with the roster we currently have. Our linebackers are piss poor. So that might raise Osi's value to us a bit but that fact actually hurts his trade value so a 2nd is completely out of the question. We
d be hard pressed to get someone to bight on a 4th at this point.

What's essential is that we find an suitable replacement for Rio and we address our linebacker issues.

Its also essenital that Eli and JPP stay healthy.

Osi...he's a bell and a whistle

gmen46
03-12-2012, 04:35 PM
This thread is like the Twilight Zone. A guy who plays 20 snapps a game and is guaranteed to miss something like 3 games is now essential? Not only is he essential but he's apparently worth a 2nd and 4th in trade value?? And if he does go its fine because we can move Kiwi back to DE because we now have great depth a linebacker??? On Earth none of the above is close to true.</P>

you've got the draft, you've got maybe a FA steal, you've got younger players already on the roster at those positions that could emerge</P>

listen, if Osi came to JR and said, hey man, i want to finish my career here and i know i'm getting older and i know i've had some injuries, but i'm willing to sign an incentive-laden contract extension ... then fine, but he isn't going to do that and i don't blame him ... some team that is having more trouble than we are pressuring the QB will over pay him in FA ... that's how it works</P>

as far as a trade .... ok again, if some team says here is a 1st round pick or here is a 2nd and a 4th, then i do that all day and nite ... but it's not happening ... you probably have a bunch of teams offering a 3rd ... and*please, Osi should be a monster next year, since he will need to be to get the money he wants ... and if i'm Jerry, i don't want to have to answer questions when the team goes thru a bad stretch and isn't pressuring the QB and Osi has 8 sacks and 4 FF halfway thru the year for another team*and i'm being asked about the precious 3rd round pick i got</P>

Exactly so.

As you state, unless a team makes us an offer we can't refuse concerning Osi, we do nothing this year.

As was the case in 2010, and in 2011, the probability Osi produces big time for us in 2012 is huge because he knows it's his last-chance audition for 1 more big contract.

We have far too many ACTUAL free agent decisions to make regarding our existing players, to be distracted by fooling around with Osi this off season.

burier
03-12-2012, 04:40 PM

as far as a trade .... ok again, if some team says here is a 1st round pick or here is a 2nd and a 4th, then i do that all day and nite ... but it's not happening ... you probably have a bunch of teams offering a 3rd ... and*please, Osi should be a monster next year, since he will need to be to get the money he wants ... and if i'm Jerry, i don't want to have to answer questions when the team goes thru a bad stretch and isn't pressuring the QB and Osi has 8 sacks and 4 FF halfway thru the year for another team*and i'm being asked about the precious 3rd round pick i got</P>

I basically agree with you but I'm not sold on any of the young linebackers on the roster right now...Certainly one could emerge but I think its a bit irresponsible to sit and wait on something like that especially with our ACL history. Chances are whovever is supposed to take a leap next season will blow his knee out in training camp.

As far as the trade. If someone offers a 3rd I take it immediately as I'd feel like they were reaching.

Also I think you might be underestimating Osi's situation a bit.

I don't think he's in a position to turn it up and notch and suddenly get a huge pay day.

first of all he's hamstrug by the rotation. If he's a pass rusher at his age and someone is going to pay top dollar for a pass rusher they're not gonna do it for a guy who's taken 20 snaps per for the last 2 years has and has a catastrophic injury history...regardless of how many strip sacks he gets.

Also we're talking about a player who has more than once mentioned retirement.

The best Osi can do is hope the Giants are willing throw him a bone and take it.

If he's not I think he'll be shocked at how rough it is out there on street when it comes to getting a deal in the shape he's in.

gmen46
03-12-2012, 04:44 PM

Losing Tolly a GREAT character locker room guy, GREAT ST player & good depth on our line.

Not saying we shouldn't try to make Osi happy but he's a total luxury at this point.

Like I said. We're talking around 20 snaps a game. Strahan said he suit up and play right now if he was promised to be used for no more than 20 snaps.

That alone tells you that he's not essential. Based on his playing time you see he's not essential.

Also losing other players doesn't necessarily raise Osi's value. That would not be a very pragmatic way of dealing with the situation.

As far as missing time..Yeah he's gonna miss at least 2 games this season. He's not getting younger. He missed a bunch of time this past season despite already missing a bunch of time and being used as a situational component. If he's can get hurt playing limited snaps a game in a matter of like 6 games he's a injury risk.

To be fair. I don't see how we can move Kiwi out of Linebacker with the roster we currently have. Our linebackers are piss poor. So that might raise Osi's value to us a bit but that fact actually hurts his trade value so a 2nd is completely out of the question. We
d be hard pressed to get someone to bight on a 4th at this point.

What's essential is that we find an suitable replacement for Rio and we address our linebacker issues.

Its also essenital that Eli and JPP stay healthy.

Osi...he's a bell and a whistle

You obviously missed completely the positive impact Osi and his "paltry 20 snaps a game" had on the Giants' final 6 game win streak including the SB.

Reese, Coughlin, Fewel didn't.

A "bell and a whistle"? Yeah, a bell and a whistle that was crucial to how our season ultimately ended.

Your astuteness is stunning.

G-Man67
03-12-2012, 04:54 PM
I basically agree with you but I'm not sold on any of the young linebackers on the roster right now...Certainly one could emerge but I think its a bit irresponsible to sit and wait on something like that especially with our ACL history. Chances are whovever is supposed to take a leap next season will blow his knee out in training camp. As far as the trade. If someone offers a 3rd I take it immediately as I'd feel like they were reaching. Also I think you might be underestimating Osi's situation a bit. I don't think he's in a position to turn it up and notch and suddenly get a huge pay day. first of all he's hamstrug by the rotation. If he's a pass rusher at his age and someone is going to pay top dollar for a pass rusher they're not gonna do it for a guy who's taken 20 snaps per for the last 2 years has and has a catastrophic injury history...regardless of how many strip sacks he gets. Also we're talking about a player who has more than once mentioned retirement. The best Osi can do is hope the Giants are willing throw him a bone and take it. If he's not I think he'll be shocked at how rough it is out there on street when it comes to getting a deal in the shape he's in.</P>

yeah, i can't give you a name of who is going to emerge or who we will draft at DE or LB or what "diamond in the rough" FA we might sign</P>

but this is the circle of life in the NFL ... Osi has been an absolute stud for us, but eventually that time ends and he does what he needs to do to best provide for his family's future and we do what is best for the Giants org ... no harm, no foul</P>

i feel Osi will produce next year barring injury and as we have seen with other players ... contract year is a big motivating factor ... there is no question a 3rd (assuming we could even get that) is reasonably valuable ... but again, i dont want to be a fan or the Head Coach or the GM when Osi lights it up for another team and we've used that precious 3rd on the next Sinorice Moss or Gerris Wilkinson and opposing QBs have enough time to read the paper in the pocket</P>

whereas the following year, when a frustrated franchise pays him way too much, then all we need to say is ... wow, good for you Osi, good luck, thanks for the great memories</P>

*cliche alert* sometimes the best move is the move you don't make</P>

burier
03-12-2012, 04:59 PM
I basically agree with you but I'm not sold on any of the young linebackers on the roster right now...Certainly one could emerge but I think its a bit irresponsible to sit and wait on something like that especially with our ACL history. Chances are whovever is supposed to take a leap next season will blow his knee out in training camp. As far as the trade. If someone offers a 3rd I take it immediately as I'd feel like they were reaching. Also I think you might be underestimating Osi's situation a bit. I don't think he's in a position to turn it up and notch and suddenly get a huge pay day. first of all he's hamstrug by the rotation. If he's a pass rusher at his age and someone is going to pay top dollar for a pass rusher they're not gonna do it for a guy who's taken 20 snaps per for the last 2 years has and has a catastrophic injury history...regardless of how many strip sacks he gets. Also we're talking about a player who has more than once mentioned retirement. The best Osi can do is hope the Giants are willing throw him a bone and take it. If he's not I think he'll be shocked at how rough it is out there on street when it comes to getting a deal in the shape he's in.</P>

yeah, i can't give you a name of who is going to emerge or who we will draft at DE or LB or what "diamond in the rough" FA we might sign</P>

but this is the circle of life in the NFL ... Osi has been an absolute stud for us, but eventually that time ends and he does what he needs to do to best provide for his family's future and we do what is best for the Giants org ... no harm, no foul</P>

i feel Osi will produce next year barring injury and as we have seen with other players ... contract year is a big motivating factor ... there is no question a 3rd (assuming we could even get that) is reasonably valuable ... but again, i dont want to be a fan or the Head Coach or the GM when Osi lights it up for another team and we've used that precious 3rd on the next Sinorice Moss or Gerris Wilkinson and opposing QBs have enough time to read the paper in the pocket</P>

whereas the following year, when a frustrated franchise pays him way too much, then all we need to say is ... wow, good for you Osi, good luck, thanks for the great memories</P>

*cliche alert* sometimes the best move is the move you don't make</P>

No question we shouldn't do anything to crazy with Osi right now.

ID don't really see the upside in taking even a 3rd for him right now so...

gumby742
03-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Have you looked at the list of up coming free agents for next year and the year after that? Do so, and chances are you won't want to sign arguably our 3rd best DE to a lucrative contract.

since55
03-12-2012, 06:25 PM
*We are losing players left & right(so it seems; Rio, Tolly, Ross, possibly T2, we lost Jacobs, Blackburn, Devin Thomas...list goes on)

WE HAVE TO KEEP THIS D-LINE IN-TACT.

Trading Osi would be the biggest mistake of the off season. He is a play maker, a game changer & a true Giant. He is also a big game performer. He has plenty of years left in him, let him retire a Giant.

Give him a 3 year deal & let's keep this pass rush top notch with the best talent for years.

We have to give Tuck a new contract soon as well. Isn't the cap supposed increase in 2013?

Giving Osi a new contract is absolutely NOT essential.

It would be foolish. At best he is a pass rush specialist. How many teams in the league pay a part time INJURY PRONE pass rusher 6 mil. a year?

You all look back at some of Osi's strip forced fumbles and forget about offensive tackles taking him 10 yards out of running plays.

That's what I thought.