PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys/Redskins lose Cap Space, We Gain a little bit :)

lavar2
03-12-2012, 04:22 PM
NFL is taking away millions of dolllar of salary-cap space from Cowboys and Redskins for how they front-loaded deals during uncapped year.

-Cowboys lose $10 million in cap space, Redskins lose $36 million in space. Can split it over 2012 and 2013 any way they want. More at ESPN.

-that money goes to 28 other teams -- $1.6 million each -- except for Saints and Raiders, who don't get any but don't lose any.

-Adam Schefter

Link (https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter)

egyptian420
03-12-2012, 04:23 PM
just seen this.....good

lavar2
03-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Great news for us! Skins lose 36 million and we gain another 1.6. Great day! Go G-men.

TrueBlue@NYC
03-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Great news for us! Skins lose 36 million and we gain another 1.6. Great day! Go G-men.</P>

36 Million in cap space, wow that is a huge amount. I wonder if this had any bearing on them deciding to trade up for RGIII instead of putting in a bid for Peyton. Maybe they figure they couldnt afford Manning and putting a team around him if they lost so much cap space. </P>

bLuereverie
03-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Ouch...

G-Man67
03-12-2012, 04:27 PM
sweet</P>

too bad the Eagles didnt get zapped as well</P>

once again, the Giants didnt get involved with all that contract monkey business and in the end, we end up better off for it</P>

Seducer
03-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Unless the teams already knew this was going to happen (like during the new cba negotiations, I'd say this is going to get appealed. How can you discipline teams during an uncapped year? Seems like these teams must have known this was coming.

OsiStrahan#1combo
03-12-2012, 04:34 PM
NFL is taking away millions of dolllar of salary-cap space from Cowboys and Redskins for how they front-loaded deals during uncapped year.

-Cowboys lose $10 million in cap space, Redskins lose $36 million in space. Can split it over 2012 and 2013 any way they want. More at ESPN.

-that money goes to 28 other teams -- $1.6 million each -- except for Saints and Raiders, who don't get any but don't lose any.

-Adam Schefter

Link (https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter)

love it.

bLuereverie
03-12-2012, 04:35 PM
The NFL is taking away millions of dollars of salary-cap space belonging to the Dallas Cowboys (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/dal/dallas-cowboys) and Washington Redskins (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/wsh/washington-redskins) for front-loading contracts during the uncapped 2010 season, according to league sources. </p>

The salary cap is projected to be $120.6 million in
2012, but the Cowboys will lose $10 million, while the Redskins will be
docked $36 million in cap space, sources said.</p>

Dallas and
Washington can split the cap loss over the 2012 and '13 seasons in
whatever form they prefer, with $1.6 million each going to 28 other NFL
teams, the sources said.</p>

The New Orleans Saints (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/no/new-orleans-saints) and Oakland Raiders (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/oak/oakland-raiders) are the only two teams that will not receive a portion of the money.</p>

During the pre-lockout 2010 season, the collective bargaining agreement expired and the league operated without a salary cap.</p>

According to sources, the Cowboys and Redskins took
immediate cap hits during the 2010 season that normally would have been
spread out over the length of the contracts, giving them an advantage
that other NFL owners found unfair.</p>

The league took an abnormally
long time to release the 2012 cap number, due in part to the fact that
the league was trying to decide how to handle the issues, the sources
said. </p>

According to the sources, the deductions are not termed as
violations, but are part of a recent agreement the NFL and the Players
Association made to raise the salary cap number while preserving benefit
increases and the performance pool.</p>

jhamburg
03-12-2012, 04:36 PM
LOL, so the 'Skins now have no draft picks OR cap space to pick up WRs and OLs.

In a few years we'll be talking about what a great QB RGIII would have been if he landed on a better team.

giantsfan420
03-12-2012, 04:36 PM
people also forget that washington is going to get penalized from williams and bounty gate. i've already seen several prominent nfl analysts and commentators remark on this, and how the skins insured their picks by trading them bc if they lose 1rst round picks, they won't have them

if goodell doles out the penalties before draft day, washington may have to forfeit the accepted trade which would be so ****ing awesome lol...but if its after the trade, then either washington would lose their 1rst round picks after the scheduled traded picks are completed or they would lose 2nd and 3rds...washington is getting beat up

giantsfan420
03-12-2012, 05:01 PM
dallas is especially ****ed bc they were only 4.7 mil under the cap, even if they split the penalty over this and next season, they'll still be over the cap.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHA

bLuereverie
03-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Dallas will use the June 1st tag to cut Terrance Newman which should save them $6mil right there.

I just think it's funny because I've heard nothing but we're signing Carl Nicks/Brandon Carr etc. etc.

Redskins just cut Atogwe.

THE_New_York_Giants
03-12-2012, 05:08 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I laugh at this. Gold

nygsb42champs
03-12-2012, 05:12 PM
That is good news.

Ntegrase96
03-12-2012, 05:41 PM
dallas is especially ****ed bc they were only 4.7 mil under the cap, even if they split the penalty over this and next season, they'll still be over the cap.
AHAHAHAHA

As stated above, cutting Newman frees up about 6 million. Should we decide to let Spencer walk (removing the franchise tag), that's 8.8. So 14.8 Million could be freed up with those two moves. Not to mention the restructuring of Scandrick and a few others contracts.

The Cap will raise next year, and we could very well split it 30 this year 70 next. Who knows.

Ntegrase96
03-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Unless the teams already knew this was going to happen (like during the new cba negotiations, I'd say this is going to get appealed. How can you discipline teams during an uncapped year? Seems like these teams must have known this was coming.

This is what I'm wondering. We'll be fine, but I actually feel bad for the Redskins. In what possible way was that against the rules? The league had to review and allow these contracts to go through when they were made in 2010, and now they're illegal? You can't retroactively punish an organization because... well frankly I'm not even sure what grounds they have other than a rumored 'warning'. If there was no CBA and they are imposing a price restraint, then they
are arguably engaged in anti-competitive behavior and restraint of
trade that would violate the rule of reason and section 1 of the
Sherman Antitrust Act

Furthermore, we're not the only two teams that should have been hit. One that comes to mind is Julius Peppers massively frontloaded contract.

killerblue8787
03-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Unless the teams already knew this was going to happen (like during the new cba negotiations, I'd say this is going to get appealed.* How can you discipline teams during an uncapped year?* Seems like these teams must have known this was coming.

This is what I'm wondering. We'll be fine, but I actually feel bad for the Redskins. In what possible way was that against the rules? The league had to review and allow these contracts to go through when they were made in 2010, and now they're illegal? You can't retroactively punish an organization because... well frankly I'm not even sure what grounds they have other than a rumored 'warning'. If there was no CBA and they are imposing a price restraint, then they
are arguably engaged in anti-competitive behavior and restraint of
trade that would violate the rule of reason and section 1 of the
Sherman Antitrust Act

Furthermore, we're not the only two teams that should have been hit. One that comes to mind is Julius Peppers massively frontloaded contract.

I agree this just seems so out of left field, I do not know what powers goddell actually has but since it is an NFL owners issues the NFLPA has nothing to do with it right. What I worry about with the skins is that if goddell can do this imagine what he could do with the gregg williams scandal could they possibly take away the #2 pick the skins just got?

NYGRealityCheck
03-12-2012, 10:23 PM
$30 mil+ is a significant cap penalty for the Redskins. I wonder if that'll force them to cut/release some of their high-end/higher paid players.

Oh they beat me to it.
S Atogwe and FB Sellers got released.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8278b946/article/redskins-release-atogwe-after-one-season-sellers-after-11?module=HP11_headline_stack

THE_New_York_Giants
03-13-2012, 02:40 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THIS IS SO GREAT ON SO MANY LEVELS. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA SCREW THEM ALL!!

jhamburg
03-13-2012, 02:45 AM
AHAHAHAHA

As stated above, cutting Newman frees up about 6 million. Should we decide to let Spencer walk (removing the franchise tag), that's 8.8. So 14.8 Million could be freed up with those two moves. Not to mention the restructuring of Scandrick and a few others contracts.

The Cap will raise next year, and we could very well split it 30 this year 70 next. Who knows.

Wait a minute, you franchised Spencer? [:|]

THE_New_York_Giants
03-13-2012, 02:45 AM
AHAHAHAHA

Wait a minute, you franchised Spencer?
don't they suck? i love how the cowboys suck at everything now.

Ntegrase96
03-13-2012, 01:16 PM
AHAHAHAHA

Wait a minute, you franchised Spencer? [:|]'
My thoughts exactly...

Spencer is overrated and overpriced. In a terrible market for OLB, he may be the most talented, but that doesn't warrant a franchise tag, or worse, a long term deal.

I'm hoping that he's let go since I don't believe he's signed the tender yet. His back up can play adequately enough without hindering our cap (which has already been hindered via collusion).

Redeyejedi
03-13-2012, 01:34 PM
I dont here Cowboy fans crying like Skins fans. Most are trying to rationalize a legal argument. That there was no rule.They are saying Skins werent notified. How I know that is a flat out lie is that every NFL team would of structured contracts like that. The Skins werent smarter then every other team like Skins fans believe. The other teams just knew the consequences and didnt do it.The belief that the other 30 teams wouldnt see the benefit in setting up contracts like that is ridiculous. I even asked on this board why the Giants didnt do it in 2010 and Slipnottin told me why they couldnt. So if a poster on this board knew, something tells me the Skins did

Ntegrase96
03-13-2012, 01:53 PM
I dont here Cowboy fans crying like Skins fans. Most are trying to rationalize a legal argument. That there was no rule.They are saying Skins werent notified. How I know that is a flat out lie is that every NFL team would of structured contracts like that. The Skins werent smarter then every other team like Skins fans believe. The other teams just knew the consequences and didnt do it.The belief that the other 30 teams wouldnt see the benefit in setting up contracts like that is ridiculous. I even asked on this board why the Giants didnt do it in 2010 and Slipnottin told me why they couldnt. So if a poster on this board knew, something tells me the Skins did

Yeah, all I want really is an answer. But then again, my team didn't have 36 million removed from its cap. Like I said, I know the Cowboys will be fine, but it just didn't make sense to me at first.

I understand how removing cap space from the Cowboys and Skins is now legal, and it really was a dumb move by Jerry... sort of.

1. The league approved the contract of Miles Austin in 2010 (with the 17 million front loaded) because they couldn't say no to it without being sued by the NFLPA. But still they wanted to punish the Cowboys for taking advantage of a year with no cap-- for some reason, I'm still not exactly sure since everything done was well within the rules of that season.

2. In order to punish the Cowboys, the NFL would have to have the NFLPA's approval. In order to do that, they waited until they had leverage on the NFLPA to get them to agree to carry out sanctions on teams that "abused" the cap in an uncapped year.

3. That leverage came in the form of an election year for the NFLPA's Executive Director, DeMaurice Smith. The unadjusted cap for 2012 would have dropped for the first time ever without the reduction of the Cowboys and Redskins caps, which would shine a poor light on DeMaurice Smith. Thus, the NFL, in a way, strong armed the NFLPA to cooperate.

Thus, it was a legal move by the NFL to dock both caps. To me, the legality of the move, doesn't justify the punishment. In an uncapped year, there are no rules to be broken, thus I STILL don't really feel like the Cowboys, nor Redskins did anything wrong per se. But I can understand how the rest of the league looked at it as unfair, since the majority of teams don't have the spending money of the Cowboys or Redskins (the two highest valued teams in the NFL).