PDA

View Full Version : At What Point In The Giants 2011 Superbowl Run Did You Believe?

Antwuan
03-12-2012, 05:04 PM
I know as a fan of course you believe your team is going to win the Superbowl and as Giants Fans we all believe in the Giants from the start. But in all honesty what point of the Giants 2011 Superbowl run did you really believe the Giants could win it all or did you think they would win it all?

GMenNY21
03-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Good question.. I'd say after they beat Atlanta in the wild card game , I was convinced they COULD win it all, & after the Green Bay game in the Divisional round I was convinced they WOULD win it all.

What a run it was !

elifan10
03-12-2012, 05:10 PM
After the hail mary at Green Bay I knew we would win.

giantsfan420
03-12-2012, 05:11 PM
I know as a fan of course you believe your team is going to win the Superbowl and as Giants Fans we all believe in the Giants from the start. But in all honesty what point of the Giants 2011 Superbowl run did you really believe the Giants could win it all or did you think they would win it all?

the second half of the rams game...i even made threads about eli turning it on, guaranteeing victory over philly the following week, and never altered. even when we were in our 4 game losing streak, i had said if the d could play 1/2 of their potential and show up, with osi coming back healthy, we could win it all bc eli and the offense were more than capable.

i was told i was a homer, moron, delusional...and at times I guess it was warranted bc there wasn't much to base my opinion off of...I just knew the caliber QB eli is and figured if the rest of the team could just do their jobs, we'd make a serious run...i called we'd win by a few possessions over dallas the final week, win by a few possessions over atlanta, called we'd win by a few possessions over GB, I said the same about the SF and NE game but was wrong. My reasoning, the rest of the team particularly the defense, had shown up and it was clear we were the more physical team.

but I am a homer and say we can win it all every season, I just happened to be right in 2007 and 2011...although in 09 and 2010 I didn't believe we could win it all but felt we could make a run...

jhamburg
03-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Good question.. I'd say after they beat Atlanta in the wild card game , I was convinced they COULD win it all, & after the Green Bay game in the Divisional round I was convinced they WOULD win it all.

What a run it was !

I'd say the Atlanta game too. I feel like if you're going to be champions, you need to prove you can really stomp on a team like that at least once, and we hadn't really done it yet at that point.

SweetZombieJesus
03-12-2012, 05:13 PM
A little bit when they beat the Cowboys the first time.

A little bit more when they beat the Jets in a must win.

When they finally won their first home playoff game in a decade by beating Atlanta soundly it was on.

miken609
03-12-2012, 05:15 PM

Hail Mary to Nicks

killerblue8787
03-12-2012, 05:17 PM

What a run it was !

This being at the atlanta game I felt the team the way they played that day that they could compete with any team in the league but seeing them put it together and whip greenbay the way they did I was convinced they would win.

Lambeau12
03-12-2012, 05:18 PM
I still kinda thought the Niners could beat you guys after you beat us but they played you alot tougher then we did. You still won though and I kind of thought you would beat the Pats but at the same time I thought maybe the second time around the Pats would win.

jparmer
03-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Honestly I would say when the clock said 0:00 in the green Bay game. Haha. I watched that game with my dad who is a packers fan. I swore the refs were somehow gonna give that game to gb. After that game and knowing that we wouldn't have to face the saints, I had all the confidence in the world. I had confidence that we would be gb (the team) I just didn't know how the refs would factor in.

Lambeau12
03-12-2012, 05:25 PM
If we won cause of the refs I would rather not win cause I would feel we didn't deserve it at all. We certainly didn't deserve to win that day. The Giants are a great football team.

redbeardxxv
03-12-2012, 05:26 PM

After the beating they gave the falcons I knew they were hungry. I knew after the first GB game that the rematch was ours. So until the strip in SF, I was sweating like a ***** in church. At that point, I just had a sense of calm.
The Superbowl didn't get me nearly as hyped as the SF game.

Roxersboxers
03-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Week one first play...i knew we would win the superbowl then lmao

Blue daddy
03-12-2012, 05:33 PM
It was the jet game for me. Just the way things played out D played well and the Cruz pass.

Out of Exile
03-12-2012, 05:37 PM
No debate IMO, the Green Bay game. I knew we'd beat San Fran in the rematch.

GiantsInTheNFCEast
03-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Actually, i was happy with winning the NFC east. Everything after that was gravy. But to answer your question... After Brady's hail mary fell to the ground

TheBookOfEli
03-12-2012, 05:52 PM
After we whooped Green Bay. After that game i was like "I've seen this movie before."

ross_stephen
03-12-2012, 06:14 PM
When I realized that we shut out Atlanta's offense. I felt we were darn close. But as others said...

The Heavenly Heave in Green Bay. That was my turning point.

But I refused to say it out loud until Bradys pass hit the ground. And I almost started to cry when Bradshaw scored. I was telling anyone who would listen "don't score!!!!"

FIFTY6G-MAN
03-12-2012, 06:17 PM
After the 49'ers beat the Saints, I knew we would go all the way. Did not wanna play the Saints in their house again, we would have lost that one as the refs love the AINTS!

TheEnigma
03-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Once we beat the Packers. It was the most impressive victory in the divisional round.

Cio7760
03-12-2012, 06:22 PM
After the Green Bay win I was reminded of how similar this run was to the 2007 run. At this point I had a great feeling. BTW I was at the Green Bay game.....such a great experience!

Rudyy
03-12-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm siding with everyone else who said the Green Bay game.
That let me know right there that they are for real and they are not holding back.

That hailmary to Hakeem let me know that we were going to win that game, and eventually go all the way.

Flip Empty
03-12-2012, 06:26 PM
As soon as the Saints were eliminated. Them, the Lions and the Patriots were the only teams I thought would be capable of beating the Giants.
People laughed when I picked against GB.

dutchnyg
03-12-2012, 06:45 PM
After the 49'ers beat the Saints, I knew we would go all the way. Did not wanna play the Saints in their house again, we would have lost that one as the refs love the AINTS!
+++++++++111111111

Delicreep
03-12-2012, 06:48 PM
As dominant as we looked against the Falcons, I did not think we would get past the Saints in New Orleans.

When the Saints lost, we were looking at 2 teams that squeaked past us in the regular season, and I felt like we were a much better team at that point in the season while neither the Pack or the Niners looked stronger.

bflo23
03-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Believe? After the Cowboys win. I thought the Giants had a great chance to beat all the playoff teams but the Saints always scared me especially in the dome. Every time the Giants play the Saints, Brees goes insane and puts up like 45-50 points and giants seem to struggle..... I "believed" after the cowboys game but I almost locked the championship up after Saints loss to 49ers.

yoeddy
03-12-2012, 07:13 PM

Once Antrel Rolle started talking positive about Coughlin, I knew we had a good shot...

FresnoGiant
03-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Believed we COULD win it- After the regular season win in New England. That game was huge. Beat the AFC best on the road.

Believed we WOULD win it- After throttling the Packers in GB. They were the best in the NFC and it wasn't even a close game.

But to be honest, if the Saints hadn't fallen apart and lost to the Niners, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. I guess the Saints loss was a big part of me (and many others) BELIEVEING we would win.

lcra0825
03-12-2012, 07:23 PM
I have to admit it took me a while but once Eli got the ball back with two minutes to go down by 2 in the Super bowl

GIANTSACK
03-12-2012, 08:11 PM
the last 4th down stop in atl game

Garbloz
03-12-2012, 08:57 PM

i must admit this is the 1st time in my life i didn't feel like we had the talent or a chance but i never been happier about being wrong.

i really didn't think we had a shot until we beat the pack in the playoffs and after the beating we gave them and all the bad calls in that game i knew we were winning it all

RoanokeFan
03-12-2012, 09:00 PM
The first Patriot's game

nhpgiantsfan
03-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Didn't think we had a chance until the 49'ers beat the saints.

NYGRealityCheck
03-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Jets game. After dominating a decent Jets team, that's when they let people know they were going to make a run. The hat, the cape, the giveaway redskins games all came off, sleeves rolled up, all in...

conlsmc06
03-12-2012, 09:13 PM
For me it was when Rodgers missed a wide open Jennings in the first quarter of the divisional round, it occurred to me that the giants weren't making the mistakes, and the other teams were... just like 07

Meanhothead
03-12-2012, 09:22 PM

This

DJloves
03-12-2012, 10:02 PM
There were several times where I thought we could win but then subsequently started doubting it. Like the hail mary pass during the GB game, but then during the SF game I was reeeeally thinking we weren't going to win.

What absolutely sealed the deal, no going back, had no doubt we were going to win - when Eli got the ball back with just a few minutes to go at the end of the Super Bowl. The perfect man to put in that situation and I had the utmost faith in him. It was weird... it was the only time during the Super Bowl I felt at peace.

Easy-Duz-It
03-12-2012, 10:06 PM
after the jets game.

Pop it Ahmad
03-12-2012, 10:16 PM
When Jennings fumbled the ball.

bLuereverie
03-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Preseason.

I placed my bets for Giants/Ravens SB. Cundiff ruined half of it for me.

JJC7301
03-12-2012, 11:27 PM

What a run it was !
+1,000 -- that's exactly how I felt. I was super confident that we'd beat GB and once we did I had no doubt that we'd win it all.

Strange, but SB 46 almost felt anti-climatic to me as opposed to SB 42 which was just building up, and building up, and building up to something bigger and better each week. It's probably because by SB 46 I felt that the Giants had already beaten tougher teams than the Pats.

myles2424
03-12-2012, 11:30 PM
After the first packers game that we should've won.....I literally booked my trip back to nyc anticipating the superbowl/victory/parade after the falcons game.......

GOBIGBLUE52
03-13-2012, 12:29 AM
When the clock in super bowl XLVI said :00, NYG 21 - 17 NE, after Brady's last pass fell incomplete.

I never take anything for granted with the giants or anything in sports for that matter.

If there had to be A moment though, I'd say probably Kyle Williams' OT fumble in the NFCCG. I knew then some higher power was really, really pulling for us.

I would say after the first pats game I could really see us going places, but we played so poorly for the weeks after that, that was erased.

jjj45
03-13-2012, 01:23 AM
Honestly, that night, after we beat Atlanta at home. I was thinking who we'd have interviewed in America's Game. I thought to myself, "Hey, we can really do this!"

Vtgmenfan89
03-13-2012, 01:32 AM
Well all year I knew they had the potential when they played up to exactly that, but it was after the Pats, Packers and Jets games I really started believing more and more that they were going to make a run and win it all. Never lost faith once however, not even after that PITIFUL redskins game at home

THE_New_York_Giants
03-13-2012, 01:35 AM
After the Green Bay loss. I knew they would win the Super Bowl after that.

buddy33
03-13-2012, 02:21 AM
All the comparisons to the 2007 season where getting annoying but, it was hard to ingnore them. After the Green Bay game I was thinking if they just make the playoffs they have a shot, but after the Washington game it was not looking good.

When I saw Tuck look like the healthy Tuck in the Jets game I started to get a good feeling.

I think the playoff game that I was most worried about was the Falcons game. Maybe it was because they didn't play them or because going into Green Bay they would have at least had a stiff win for the 1st time in a couple of years.

nygfanmaybe
03-13-2012, 04:57 AM
For me, it was when I saw Vernon Davis crying after catching the game winner against the Saints.

It wasn't so much that I was relieved that we weren't playing the Saints...it was because I could tell that they (SF) were elated just to get to the NFCCG and spent their emotions too soon.

miked1958
03-13-2012, 05:18 AM
I know as a fan of course you believe your team is going to win the Superbowl and as Giants Fans we all believe in the Giants from the start. But in all honesty what point of the Giants 2011 Superbowl run did you really believe the Giants could win it all or did you think they would win it all? Hail Mary to Nicks After the Green Bay loss (just like in 07 loss to NE) I knew we would winthe SB

jakegibbs
03-13-2012, 07:16 AM

I had a good feeling going into the playoffs but after going up to Greenbay & putting a whooping on the Packers on their turf, in front of their own folks, & on national TV with all the experts picking the mighty Pack to repeat.......Well once that game was won it was over.... SB Victory in Hand. ....come on - SF & Pats. Game set match. Give me my ring is what the Giants were saying.

Mercury
03-13-2012, 08:11 AM
About two weeks after they hoisted their 4th Lombardi trophy, I pinched myself and realized I was awake and not dreaming it.

wado1
03-13-2012, 10:27 AM
I started to believe when the Saints loss, that was the only team that could beat us. When they went down, I knew we had a great shot.

Harooni
03-13-2012, 11:28 AM
when we beat dallas away.

it feels good knowing I attented two games during a superbowl season.

G-Man67
03-13-2012, 11:55 AM
while i am a fan that preaches that the dream isnt over until you are officially eliminated from the playoffs</P>

i can't say that i was feeling too great during the regular season, we trailed in every game and had no easy wins</P>

i guess the 2nd half of the Jets game made me think that the playoffs were attainableand once your in the tourney, then anything can happen, but even then i remember saying WELL AT LEAST WE BEAT THOSE LOUD MOUTH JETS, so i certainly wasn't thinking Super Bowl with that statement</P>

alright, im going to be totally honest and say it was when the Niners beat the Saints</P>

in fact, i watched that game with my bro-in-law (Jets fan) and he was like ... dude, that's not the Giants, it's the Niners, why are you rooting so hard for them</P>

GameTime
03-13-2012, 12:01 PM
good question.....hmmm.</P>

I am a cautiously optomistic fan. Even when it looks good I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop so to speak. </P>

But once the wrapped up the division. The only games that I had questions about was the GB @ Lambaeu. I figured the D was healthier and the O was playing pretty good. </P>

G-Men Surg.
03-13-2012, 12:03 PM

That was it for me too !

Dirt66
03-13-2012, 12:46 PM
For me it was when we beat Dallas to win the NFC East. I had a great feeling we would beat Atlanta, GB, was nervous about the SF game, knew we would beat the Pats

ryan12
03-13-2012, 01:06 PM

the second half of the rams game...i even made threads about eli turning it on, guaranteeing victory over philly the following week, and never altered. even when we were in our 4 game losing streak, i had said if the d could play 1/2 of their potential and show up, with osi coming back healthy, we could win it all bc eli and the offense were more than capable.

i was told i was a homer, moron, delusional...and at times I guess it was warranted bc there wasn't much to base my opinion off of...I just knew the caliber QB eli is and figured if the rest of the team could just do their jobs, we'd make a serious run...i called we'd win by a few possessions over dallas the final week, win by a few possessions over atlanta, called we'd win by a few possessions over GB, I said the same about the SF and NE game but was wrong. My reasoning, the rest of the team particularly the defense, had shown up and it was clear we were the more physical team.

but I am a homer and say we can win it all every season, I just happened to be right in 2007 and 2011...although in 09 and 2010 I didn't believe we could win it all but felt we could make a run...

same here i probally agreed with your post cuz i got hammerd also.im a homer that we will it EVERY year. OH WELL lol

ryan12
03-13-2012, 01:08 PM
when jpp blocked that fg against the cow***s

ryan12
03-13-2012, 01:09 PM
when we beat dallas away.

it feels good knowing I attented two games during a superbowl season.

do you want to lick the sweat off your tiki bear? clean him like a mother bear would?

Shockdisnation03
03-13-2012, 01:11 PM

I know when Training Camp Opened, We looked Good !!!!

JPP
03-13-2012, 01:14 PM
After the Green Bay game I was starting to feel like hey now we really got a chance. But I wasn't confident until our last drive on the MM catch even my dad who doesn't watch much football looked at me and said "their going down the field here aren't they."

BigBlue1971
03-13-2012, 01:33 PM
i thought when we defeated the Packers we could go all the way in fact after the packersi immediately thought of the 07 season and how that played out!</P>

i must admit coming into the Jets game i thought about and hoped we could finish up 6-0 and take the trophy!</P>

damn if we didnt! hahahahaha. i love it!</P>

bELIeve_in_Giants
03-13-2012, 01:45 PM
The Hail Mary in the GB game

repeatchamps
03-13-2012, 02:54 PM
The Hail Mary in the GB game
</P>

Ditto for me as well. I will say though that Ithought the defensive performance in the Atlanta game at MetLife was a huge sign as well. I was at the game and you could tell somethingbig was on the horizonfor this team after that game. The defense just clicked and basically played lights out the rest of the post season save for a mental lapse or two in the remaining games. When I saw the defensestep up to that level, I knew they had a shot to make a formidable push, but Super Bowl? Not until after the Nicks Hail mary against GBfor sure.</P>

bigblue5611
03-13-2012, 03:10 PM

yep...same here