PDA

View Full Version : RT Eric Winston available - rated top 6 RT

netplus
03-12-2012, 08:15 PM
6'7" 316 lbs 28 year old

The shocking move clears $5.5 million in base salary. Winston hasn't missed a start since his 2006 rookie season, and has been a key cog in the Texans' highly productive zone-blocking scheme. Despite the release, Winston won't have trouble exceeding what the Texans were going to pay him on an incredibly thin offensive tackle market. Only 28 years old, Winston should appeal to other zone-blocking clubs like the Redskins. Pro Football Focus graded Winston as a top-six right tackle last season. He was 11th overall in PFF's rankings.

Spizi
03-12-2012, 08:20 PM
get it done reese

gmen0820
03-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Winston is a solid RT. I wonder if we swoop him up like we did with Antrel Rolle when the Cardinals cut him to try to resign him at a smaller deal.

TheEnigma
03-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Sign Winston and draft Bobby Massie. Boom, there's your RT solved. Move Brewer over to LT since he has the feet for it and he can sit behind Beatty.

Spizi
03-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Sign Winston and draft Bobby Massie. Boom, there's your RT solved. Move Brewer over to LT since he has the feet for it and he can sit behind Beatty.

+1

gmen0820
03-12-2012, 08:29 PM
So are the Texans clearing cap for one Peyton Manning?

Strahan4gov
03-12-2012, 08:31 PM

For the love of all that is good let Reese pull that off!

Strahan4gov
03-12-2012, 08:32 PM
So are the Texans clearing cap for one Peyton Manning?

If so releasing a solid OL doesn't seem the best way to do it

TheEnigma
03-12-2012, 08:35 PM
So are the Texans clearing cap for one Peyton Manning?Would be colossally ******ed considering Schaub is pretty damn good and has had seasons almost as good as Peyton for the Texans.

gmen0820
03-12-2012, 08:41 PM
So are the Texans clearing cap for one Peyton Manning?Would be colossally ******ed considering Schaub is pretty damn good and has had seasons almost as good as Peyton for the Texans.True but Peyton, Wayne and Clarke make that offense scary with guys like Owen Daniels, Arian Foster and Andre Johnson.

And if Peyton gets hurt, who is a better backup than Schaub?

And I agree with the poster who said cutting a solid OL isn't the best way to do it, but it certainly is a start and Peyton has always had pretty mediocre lines who he made look good.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-12-2012, 08:44 PM
So are the Texans clearing cap for one Peyton Manning?Would be colossally ******ed considering Schaub is pretty damn good and has had seasons almost as good as Peyton for the Texans.True but Peyton, Wayne and Clarke make that offense scary with guys like Owen Daniels, Arian Foster and Andre Johnson.

And if Peyton gets hurt, who is a better backup than Schaub?

And I agree with the poster who said cutting a solid OL isn't the best way to do it, but it certainly is a start and Peyton has always had pretty mediocre lines who he made look good.

They would not keep both Peyton and Schaub. If they brought Peyton in Schaub is as good as gone. Many teams that need a QB.

TheEnigma
03-12-2012, 08:49 PM
As scary as that team is 0820, the Texans are one of the few teams in the NFL from being nearly complete and could achieve it without Peyton. They need a WR across from Andre, another good defensive lineman, and possibly another pass rusher depending on what happens with Mario.

Honestly, I think this Winston release is to gather up more money to insure they keep Mario since there's probably other teams bidding on him and raising the price.

PierceBdaMAN
03-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Signing Eric Winston would be AMAZING!!!!

Also, sign Mike Tolbert as our new short yardage/change-of-pace RB.

gmen0820
03-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Williams is a little overrated?

buddy33
03-12-2012, 09:27 PM
A little off topic, but imagine Peyton on the Ravens.

quan the don
03-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Or the 49ers

buddy33
03-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Yeah but the Ravens have more weapons.

JJC7301
03-13-2012, 12:18 AM
6'7" 316 lbs 28 year old

The shocking move clears $5.5 million in base salary. Winston hasn't missed a start since his 2006 rookie season, and has been a key cog in the Texans' highly productive zone-blocking scheme. Despite the release, Winston won't have trouble exceeding what the Texans were going to pay him on an incredibly thin offensive tackle market. Only 28 years old, Winston should appeal to other zone-blocking clubs like the Redskins. Pro Football Focus graded Winston as a top-six right tackle last season. He was 11th overall in PFF's rankings.
I'd rather draft a RT in the early rounds and have him compete with Brewer for the spot.

Spend the RT money that you're talking about on keeping players at other positions and not getting cap screwed next year and the year after that.

myles2424
03-13-2012, 12:35 AM
As scary as that team is 0820, the Texans are one of the few teams in the NFL from being nearly complete and could achieve it without Peyton. They need a WR across from Andre, another good defensive lineman, and possibly another pass rusher depending on what happens with Mario.

Honestly, I think this Winston release is to gather up more money to insure they keep Mario since there's probably other teams bidding on him and raising the price. Andre/peyton/reggie Wayne on the texans would be crazy

myles2424
03-13-2012, 12:35 AM

Honestly, I think this Winston release is to gather up more money to insure they keep Mario since there's probably other teams bidding on him and raising the price. Andre/peyton/reggie Wayne on the texans would be crazy

buddy33
03-13-2012, 03:13 AM
Isn't there a lot of talk about Clark going with Peyton too?

FourthAndOne
03-13-2012, 04:47 AM
Just wondering, how hard is it for a tackle to switch from a zone-blocking scheme to whatever it is the Giants use? And is it possible that there will be some dropoff?

PRFan
03-13-2012, 05:40 AM
I heard that Leinart got cut too.

giantsfan420
03-13-2012, 06:21 AM
Just wondering, how hard is it for a tackle to switch from a zone-blocking scheme to whatever it is the Giants use? And is it possible that there will be some dropoff?

for a rt, not much of a change. the zone scheme for a rt is similar to our system when our RT pulls on a pitch or when we run a draw from shotgun. its not as much firing off the line, its more about the angle you engage the defender.

for the interior linemen, the difference is much more significant. not saying as a rt its exactly the same, but its not nearly as different from a schematic standpoint.

Firenugget
03-13-2012, 07:04 AM
Or the 49ers

With that defense...That would be scary...

fletch842
03-13-2012, 08:10 AM
I heard that Leinart got cut too.
we need to sign him immediately!! Reese you imgrate!!! (someone had to say it)

netplus
03-13-2012, 07:52 PM
"The Miami Herald reported Winston had interest from 10 teams, so it's no surprise that he's already setting up multiple visits. According to SI.com's Peter King, Winston will also have a suitor "that goes deep in the playoffs most years." Our initial guess is the Jets or Giants. "

Hey, Eric, stop by Reese's office afterwards.