PDA

View Full Version : KEVIN BOSS: COULD HE BE HEADING BACK TO GIANTS?

RoanokeFan
03-12-2012, 08:13 PM
KEVIN BOSS: COULD HE BE HEADING BACK TO GIANTS? (http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/3/12/2865872/kevin-boss-oakland-raiders-new-york-giants-nfl-free-agency-2012?tw_p=twt)

"How would you like the new tight end for the New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants) to
be the old tight end for the New York Giants? No, not the old-old one who plays
for the <a class="sbn-auto-link" href="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/carolina-panthers">Carolina
Panthers</a>. I am talking about Kevin Boss (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/16767/kevin-boss).<div class="entry-body">

Reports surfaced today via ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/13168/boss-to-be-released-by-raiders) that the Oakland Raiders (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/oakland-raiders) are
going to release Boss, who they lured away from the Giants last summer with a
four-year, $16-million contract that included a $6 million guarantee.</p>

Boss played in 14 games last season and had 28 receptions for 368 yards and
three touchdowns. He suffered a concussion and a knee injury during the season.
Boss had 33, 42 and 35 receptions in three seasons as the Giants starting tight
end.</p>

Boss did not burn any bridges when leaving the Giants, and his release by the
Raiders might bring the Giants to a logical replacement for the injured Jake Ballard (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108531/jake-ballard)
and <a class="sbn-auto-link" href="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71291/travis-beckum">Travis
Beckum</a>.</p>

Thoughts, Giants fans?"</p></div>

Pakman
03-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Hope not.

jomo
03-12-2012, 08:19 PM
I would like to see him retire for the good of his family. (not another concussion last year!)If he really got $6M guaranteed from those idiots in Oakland, he has enough to move on with his life.

Mod_C
03-12-2012, 08:26 PM
I would like to see him retire for the good of his family. (not another concussion last year!)If he really got $6M guaranteed from those idiots in Oakland, he has enough to move on with his life.

I tend to agree. Look at all of the former players who are now suing the NFL and those who have died prematurely.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
03-12-2012, 08:28 PM
He's not good, he was a product of the system. Look at the other TE's who stepped up who appeared to be even better.

Why is no one bringing up Dallas Clark?

DemandedAce
03-12-2012, 08:29 PM
I liked Boss, but he has had so many concussions I just don't know.. I don't want to go prepped with him for the season to have him go down with another one and we're caught with nothing. Plus, the guy had stone hands at times, something like tops in the leagues in drops.

I really don't mind rolling with Pascoe to start the season, he stepped it up for us when we needed it this past year.

Flip Empty
03-12-2012, 08:34 PM
He's not good, he was a product of the system. Look at the other TE's who stepped up who appeared to be even better.

There are a few threads on him.
He's just as injury-prone and probably too expensive.

b_ELI_eve
03-12-2012, 08:44 PM

He isn't a very good blocker and is injury prone

NYGRealityCheck
03-12-2012, 08:48 PM
From the article, "He suffered a concussion and a knee injury during the season."

Damaged goods...

GameTime
03-12-2012, 08:50 PM
personally I like Boss but he is damaged goods and needs to be really carefull for his own good. He is another concussion from getting messed up......

RoanokeFan
03-12-2012, 08:51 PM
personally I like Boss but he is damaged goods and needs to be really carefull for his own good. He is another concussion from getting messed up......

Very much like Bavaro.....

ShockeyShow
03-12-2012, 09:06 PM

Dallas Clark would get injured in the FO while signing his contract

MikeIsaGiant
03-12-2012, 09:10 PM
LOl

> win super bowl
> wants to come to play again

lawl
03-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Glad he got paid when he could. I was harping on his concussions years ago. He should retire before it's too late.

Flip Empty
03-12-2012, 09:21 PM
LOl

> win super bowl
> wants to come to play again
He's a cap casualty. It's not like he forced his way out.

hungrrrry
03-12-2012, 09:35 PM

Why is no one bringing up Dallas Clark?clark was far more injury prone and his record proves it. If boss was a product of the system then he would help because this is the system he did well in. He would have had a break out year had he stayed...possibly not as well as ballard but who would know.

I am not against bringing Boss back...he would need to be healthy now...not later. He would come at a decent price too. _he move would allow us a lot of flexibility.

jomo
03-12-2012, 09:45 PM

Totally agree RF. If our staff clears him, I trust them and believe that he could fill some role here. Unfortunately, with another concuss this year, I doubt that will happen. His family needs him MUCH more than we do.

Dirt66
03-12-2012, 10:02 PM
No Thanks.......

Cosmiknight
03-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Boss is a great guy and was a good player for the giants. However given his history with concussions he should consider retirement for the sake of his health.

Axels15
03-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Only if he signs for near minimum

RoanokeFan
03-12-2012, 10:50 PM

Totally agree RF. If our staff clears him, I trust them and believe that he could fill some role here. Unfortunately, with another concuss this year, I doubt that will happen. His family needs him MUCH more than we do.

The cumulative effects of concussions are really frightening.

ebick
03-12-2012, 10:59 PM
It just makes me chuckle a bit......last year JR got lambasted here for letting this guy go......

Flip Empty
03-12-2012, 11:11 PM
It just makes me chuckle a bit......last year JR got lambasted here for letting this guy go......
Could very well be seeing this next year with Jacobs and Manningham.

JJC7301
03-12-2012, 11:15 PM
I would like to see him retire for the good of his family. (not another concussion last year!)*If he really got $6M guaranteed from those idiots in Oakland, he has enough to move on with his life.
Agreed. Take your money and enjoy the rest of your life with you family, Kevin. It's just not worth it.

That being said, if the Giants decide to bring him back, I'm fine with it too buy time until Ballard gets back. But it's got to be for a fairly small contract because he's a concussion waiting to happen. And obviously, he already knows Eli and the O.

I really hope that he walks away from the game for his own good.

TuckYou
03-13-2012, 12:00 AM
Eli will make Bear look like a descent TE next year. Our system isn't for good TEs, just average slow ones.

BlueSanta
03-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Eli will make Bear look like a descent TE next year. Our system isn't for good TEs, just average slow ones.

I keep seeing people talk about Bear. Last I heard he was a restricted free agent who we have not even made attempt 1 to resign. Going into free agency that tells me they want to look elsewhere.

Plus, despite common opinion Bear was 1 of the worst blocking TEs in the league last year. He was among the leagues most penalized for holdings, especially if you count penalties per snap played. He is ok at lead blocking, but has a LOT of trouble sustaining blocks.

buddy33
03-13-2012, 02:07 AM
Boss is a very likable player but his history of injuries is something to be concerned with.

BillTheGreek
03-13-2012, 02:48 AM
Should consider retirement, for his own good !

ebick
03-13-2012, 10:04 AM
It just makes me chuckle a bit......last year JR got lambasted here for letting this guy go...... Could very well be seeing this next year with Jacobs and Manningham.</P>

not from me.....I have come to the conclusion that JR knows more than I do.</P>

GMENAGAIN
03-13-2012, 10:12 AM

I keep seeing people talk about Bear. Last I heard he was a restricted free agent who we have not even made attempt 1 to resign. Going into free agency that tells me they want to look elsewhere.

Plus, despite common opinion Bear was 1 of the worst blocking TEs in the league last year. He was among the leagues most penalized for holdings, especially if you count penalties per snap played. He is ok at lead blocking, but has a LOT of trouble sustaining blocks.
</P>

Totally agree . . . Bear is a likeable guy who made a couple of nice plays last year, but he is a fringe NFL player at best. He is not the answer at TE.</P>

MattMeyerBud
03-13-2012, 10:13 AM

becuase Dallas Clark can't block

burier
03-13-2012, 10:38 AM
I think we're overblowing this concussion situation a bit.

He'd come pretty cheap I'd imagine and we're strapped for a TE. There are no TE in the draft therefore it makes perfect sense.

critters
03-13-2012, 10:41 AM
I'd rather have the "old-old one who plays for the Carolina Panthers."

G-Man67
03-13-2012, 11:07 AM
the concussion history is certainly a concern, but we do need a TE and to be able to bring a guy in that already knows the system and has a repoire with Eli ... well that might be worth the risk</P>

the price shouldbe right ... i can't imagine another team would look at Boss as a guy that would be their #1 TE</P>

with Smith and Boss, we could have a family ruinion thang going ... altho they both picked the wrong year to be away</P>

JesseJames
03-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Boss has had too many concussions and needs to retire before he ends up spending the rest of his life as a paper weight...