PDA

View Full Version : GIANTS HELPED BY CAP SPACE HITS TO REDSKINS AND COWBOYS

RoanokeFan
03-12-2012, 09:28 PM
GIANTS HELPED BY CAP SPACE HITS TO REDSKINS AND COWBOYS (http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giantsblog/salary_cap_hits_to_redskins_cowboys_87utn2vDxCtSPA PNOkVEfO)

"You know how NFL free agency usually starts this time of year: The Redskins
and Cowboys start signing marquee players and Giants fans far and near wonder,
“Where the heck do they get the salary cap space to sign all those guys and why
the heck don’t the Giants have the money to join in?’’ <div style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; COLOR: #000000; OVERFLOW: hidden; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none">

Well, it appears the Redskins and Cowboys recently didn’t exactly conform to
NFL guidelines and, as a result, they will lose millions on their cap while the
Giants will gain some cap relief at the expense of their NFC East rivals.</p>

<a href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7677375/sources-dallas-cowboys-washington-redskins-lose-millions-cap-space">According
to ESPN</a>, the Redskins will lose a staggering $36 million in cap space in the
next two years and the Cowboys will lose $10 million. Both teams were determined
to have front-loaded contracts to take advantage of the uncapped season in 2010.
Teams were warned not to do that, but the Redskins and Cowboys apparently did
not heed the warning.</p>

As a result, the league has decided that every NFL team (except for the
Saints and Raiders, who must have been guilty of some front-loading in 2010)
will get $1.6 million of extra cap space. That “found money’’ is great news to
the Giants, who have had to do some last-minute maneuvering simply to get under
the 2012 cap of $120.6 million. </p>

The Giants got nearly $6.8 million in cap relief by restructuring Eli
Manning’s contract and saved another $5 million by releasing Brandon Jacobs.
According to ProFootballTalk, the Giants were about $3.8 million over the cap
last Friday, before the Jacobs transaction hit the books. The Giants are now
most likely about $2 million under the salary cap with the free agency signing
period beginning Tuesday.</p>

The Giants have 19 of their own players set to become unrestricted free
agents and most likely will not re-sign the majority of them. They already have
re-signed WR/KR Domenik Hixon and put the franchise tag on punter Steve
Weatherford, but they would like to agree on a long-term deal for Weatherford
that would lower his salary cap number of $2.65 million."
</p>
</div>

NewYorkSwagg
03-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Yeah that sucks because they gave all those picks to STL for RG3. Instead they could have use those picks to rebuild threw the draft and small free agent pick ups to fill holes on the team, just look at the Giants lol, 2 super-bowls in 4 years. Also right about now I don't even care if we don't sign big name players in the free agency, we can sign mediocre players. I have faith in the Giants and that coaching staff we will still get it done because, really if you think about it we have all the main pieces to win we just have to fill small holes and thats nothing at all, we can use rookies to get the job done. LETS GOOOOOOOOO REESE!!!

GameTime
03-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Yeah that sucks because they gave all those picks to STL for RG3. Instead they could have use those picks to rebuild threw the draft and small free agent pick ups to fill holes on the team, just look at the Giants lol, 2 super-bowls in 4 years. Also right about now I don't even care if we don't sign big name players in the free agency, we can sign mediocre players. I have faith in the Giants and that coaching staff we will still get it done because, really if you think about it we have all the main pieces to win we just have to fill small holes and thats nothing at all, we can use rookies to get the job done. LETS GOOOOOOOOO REESE!!!</P>

And some Giants fans have the balls to complain about Reese and the way the Giants FO handled the players salaries. </P>

The GM for the Skins and Boys should be canned. Oh wait JJ can't fire himself. I guess he'll just sit there and pick his nose some more. </P>

Vtgmenfan89
03-13-2012, 12:24 AM
Yeah that sucks because they gave all those picks to STL for RG3. Instead they could have use those picks to rebuild threw the draft and small free agent pick ups to fill holes on the team, just look at the Giants lol, 2 super-bowls in 4 years. Also right about now I don't even care if we don't sign big name players in the free agency, we can sign mediocre players. I have faith in the Giants and that coaching staff we will still get it done because, really if you think about it we have all the main pieces to win we just have to fill small holes and thats nothing at all, we can use rookies to get the job done. LETS GOOOOOOOOO REESE!!!

It's seriously hilarious how screwed the Skins are gonna be the next few drafts. How do they plan to build around Griffin now? With that much cap space lost and no first rounder until 2015 it's gonna be pretty comical haha. Rams have to be laughing their asses off, they're borderline guaranteed to have three top 15 (being generous) picks the next three drafts

RagTime Blue
03-13-2012, 12:30 AM
First round picks cost a lot of money (granted, so will RG3). So I wonder if the Redskins knew this was coming, and that's why they didn't mind dumping those pics.

Bashum_Blue
03-13-2012, 12:03 PM

It's seriously hilarious how screwed the Skins are gonna be the next few drafts. How do they plan to build around Griffin now? With that much cap space lost and no first rounder until 2015 it's gonna be pretty comical haha. Rams have to be laughing their asses off, they're borderline guaranteed to have three top 15 (being generous) picks the next three drafts

People said the same thing about the Giants when we traded for Eli. Just a little Devil's Advocate for your Free Agent day pleasure.