PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone like David Diehl?

tuck&rolle
12-06-2011, 09:31 PM
I want to get a consensus on this. Yeah, he was a great player for us for a long time. And yeah, the coaches seem to think he's good. But jeez... he really just doesn't have it anymore. My friend (an Eagles fan, incidentally) was arguing that he was still a solid player... I told him to pick any 3 plays and to watch Diehl the whole play. Consistently beaten on all three. Again, I respect what he's done for us, but I say we part ways in the offseason.

BlueBlitzer
12-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Well since Beatty is the future. I say you couldn't have a better backup or versitile Player than DD.

tuck&rolle
12-06-2011, 09:39 PM
I'd be ok with him as a backup. Problem is he's been starting at guard all year

Gianthunter
12-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Hmmmmmmm he is moved back to his comfortable position and we played good on both aspects of offense. But ya probably a fluke.[:^)]</P>

Eli TO Shockey
12-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Beatty our future?

tuck&rolle
12-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Sadly, Beatty is probably the second or third best lineman we have...

JMFP2
12-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Diehl has been and is fine at LT.

BBlueSince82
12-06-2011, 10:40 PM
I went to many UCONN games since I am from CT, and I do not think Beatty is that good, neither is Diehl, The Giants overall need improvement at that position, but if I had to pick, Diehl.

gmen0820
12-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Diehl has been and is fine at LT.Diehl is a bottom five LT and showed the same thing that made him a bottom five LT yesterday.

To expectations when it comes to Diehl, he had a great game considering he only had Eli hit 2 times and pressure another 2 times.

Tommy_Ribs
12-06-2011, 10:45 PM
I don't think Diehl is a particularly good player anymore.

As a Pass-blocker, speed guys kill him.

In the run game, he does not seem strong at the point of attack.

bansaw
12-06-2011, 10:52 PM
everyone's time comes, perhaps DD's is near?

but he's a great guy, great work ethic and carried himself like a Giant in his time here

I love DD

yatitle
12-06-2011, 11:01 PM
His mom?

plc
12-06-2011, 11:12 PM
With Beatty out and Andrews out we need another back up.I wonder how Seubert is doing????

Gianthunter
12-06-2011, 11:12 PM

The same can be said for and is about Beatty. For me I'll take the improvment in the O-line. But it still won't be enough on Sunday.

egyptian420
12-06-2011, 11:14 PM

<font size="4">As a Pass-blocker, speed guys kill him.</font>

Getting flashbacks of him vs Freeny last year....ugh

baywest
12-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Beatty is good. He can't do it by himself. He has two sacks in 11 games. You can see him getting to be a good player. Your talking negative and never even said Inhope he gets better from that serious injury. Get better Beatty.

JMFP2
12-06-2011, 11:22 PM

<FONT size=4>As a Pass-blocker, speed guys kill him.</FONT>

Getting flashbacks of him vs Freeny last year....ugh
</P>

That's not fair....Freeney kills everyone. The ****erlines up wide, usually witha 17 point leadthanks to Peyton, ona carpet in Indy......what can you expect?</P>

Still, time to restock the position....get another moose from the Big 12 or the SEC next draft.</P>

baywest
12-06-2011, 11:24 PM
You know nothing about football. Beatty was great at Uconn. Most had him pick in round one.

JMFP2
12-06-2011, 11:28 PM
You know nothing about football. Beatty was great at Uconn. Most had him pick in round one.</P>

Are you addressing me?</P>

gmen0820
12-06-2011, 11:31 PM
You know nothing about football. Beatty was great at Uconn. Most had him pick in round one.Beatty was as raw as it gets coming out of college. He had all the measurables and incredible footwork, hence, Ross and Reese claiming he was a natural LT. Only problem is, he has not developed as hoped and three years later, we have an injury probed, extremely average LT.

I loved the pick at the time, I like many others claimed he could be the best LT in the class three years from then, but he really hasn't emerged. A lot of tackles have busted from that year, Smith, Monroe, Oher is a much better RT.

smashndash715
12-06-2011, 11:31 PM
that online needs to be rebuilt period..i like how petrus played..and snee is on and off..those are the only 2 even worthy of starting

gmen0820
12-06-2011, 11:35 PM
that online needs to be rebuilt period..i like how petrus played..and snee is on and off..those are the only 2 even worthy of startingHaving two dominating guards is a very valuable asset. Look at New Orleans, they have completely built around Carl Nicks (who I still am livid that we passed on after clamoring for him from the third round on) and Jahri Evans and well, they are very solid up front. That's why I would not be opposed to drafting a DeCastro this year, who I really like. I think he will be a top five guard in a relatively short amount of time.

baywest
03-08-2012, 12:52 AM
What you don't is that they love Beatty and Diehl. Watch Beatty this year he will be on another level.

RagTime Blue
03-08-2012, 01:59 AM
I don't think Beatty will ever become a feared run-blocker, but it's a passer's league, so an average run blocker at LT is OK in my book, as long as he can keep Eli on his feet.

I think people are really down on that whole draft class except Nicks (Beckum, Barden, Bomar, Sintim). But I think Beatty's progress is ON PAR with realistic, informed expectations.

I expect more progress in the future, which translates into more time for #10 to scan the field, and more time for #80 and #88 to get open (as if they really need it).

And yes, get better, Will!

hungrrrry
03-08-2012, 06:31 AM
This sounds like a witch hunt...if DD was "consistantly beat" on every play he wouldn't be in the pros...Diehl has been the epitome of durability along the Oline for 10 years so how could you not like hime. The guy always has a positive attitude and is quite intelligent. I would expect him to slow down at this point in his career so to hate him for that is a bit disrespectful, at the least.
I definately like the guy and want him to retire here.

SweetZombieJesus
03-08-2012, 06:38 AM
Diehl's best days are behind him and there's been some truly awful play over the last 2-3 years out of him. I'm OK with keeping him as a spare part but time to move on.

He's also one of two holdovers from Fassel's time here.

GMENAGAIN
03-08-2012, 08:15 AM
He was the starting LT on two championshipteams . . . . so yes, I like him.</P>

But I think that his days as a starter are beind him . . . . . </P>

buddy33
03-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Beatty was not bad last year. He went up against some really good pass rushers last year and shut them down. He does have a problem with staying on the field which may have slowed his progress down.

I think everyone likes DD. Thinking he can get it done and liking him are two different things.

nygsb42champs
03-08-2012, 08:24 AM
He does not get the credit he deserves. He has done whatever this team has asked of him. He is a solid team player.

LT_was_good
03-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Is his contract situation such that we can do what we did with Bernard last year? Cut him and, assuming nobody else is willing to pay him much, sign him to a cheaper contract?

Moss#83
03-08-2012, 08:52 AM
He was the starting LT on two championship*teams . . . . so yes, I like him.</P>

But I think that his days as a starter are beind him . . . . . </P>So we should keep anyone with a SB even though they flat out suck?

Kruunch
03-08-2012, 08:52 AM

This.

Eli is one of the least sacked QBs in the NFL over the past 5 years.

We've had a top 10 offense the past 4 years.

2 SB wins in the past 4 years.

You don't do that with a bad LT.

RagTime Blue
03-08-2012, 09:08 AM
There's plenty of guys on the team who are overpaid. But of those players, I think Diehl is the safest from the cap gods.

I could see Rolle getting cut if Sash, Chad Jones, or some rookie really performs.

I don't see a scenario (other than cap DESPERATION) in which DDiehl gets cut. Then again, I thought the same of O'Hara last season, and Jay Alford the year before.

heavyhitter
03-08-2012, 09:11 AM
everyone's time comes, perhaps DD's is near?

but he's a great guy, great work ethic and carried himself like a Giant in his time here

I love DD

<font size="2">This</font>

Moss#83
03-08-2012, 09:14 AM

This.

Eli is one of the least sacked QBs in the NFL over the past 5 years.

We've had a top 10 offense the past 4 years.

2 SB wins in the past 4 years.

You don't do that with a bad LT.This has almost nothing to do with how horrible DD is. He might epitomize the Giants' toughness but he will also get Eli killed someday.

I'm tired of this turnstile.

Morehead State
03-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Diehl has been and is fine at LT. This. Eli is one of the least sacked QBs in the NFL over the past 5 years. We've had a top 10 offense the past 4 years. 2 SB wins in the past 4 years. You don't do that with a bad LT.This has almost nothing to do with how horrible DD is. He might epitomize the Giants' toughness but he will also get Eli killed someday. I'm tired of this turnstile.</P>

Your screen name is all we need to evaluate your ability to spot talent.</P>

DD has been a great Giant. It will be difficult for anyone here to beat him out at LT. If they do, more power to them.</P>

Flip Empty
03-08-2012, 09:18 AM
He was the starting LT on two championship teams . . . . so yes, I like him.</P>

But I think that his days as a starter are beind him . . . . . </P>So we should keep anyone with a SB even though they flat out suck?
Interesting comment coming from someone with that username haha.

TheEnigma
03-08-2012, 09:22 AM
I think he has a great future as an analyst/announcer for what it's worth. Don't be surprised if we see him announcing games in 2-3 years.

MattMeyerBud
03-08-2012, 09:27 AM
I want to get a consensus on this. Yeah, he was a great player for us for a long time. And yeah, the coaches seem to think he's good. But jeez... he really just doesn't have it anymore. My friend (an Eagles fan, incidentally) was arguing that he was still a solid player... I told him to pick any 3 plays and to watch Diehl the whole play. Consistently beaten on all three. Again, I respect what he's done for us, but I say we part ways in the offseason.

yea I still like him, at tackle

Kase-1
03-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Diehl has been and is fine at LT. This. Eli is one of the least sacked QBs in the NFL over the past 5 years. We've had a top 10 offense the past 4 years. 2 SB wins in the past 4 years. You don't do that with a bad LT.This has almost nothing to do with how horrible DD is. He might epitomize the Giants' toughness but he will also get Eli killed someday. I'm tired of this turnstile.</p>

Your screen name is all we need to evaluate your ability to spot talent.</p>

DD has been a great Giant. It will be difficult for anyone here to beat him out at LT. If they do, more power to them.</p>Oh nice, so you're ready to admit that Beatty is gonna be the LT of our future???

GMENAGAIN
03-08-2012, 09:36 AM

So we should keep anyone with a SB even though they flat out suck?</P>

No team wins two Super bowls with a starting LT that "flat out sucks". </P>

And I said that his days as a starter may be behind him . . . .</P>

Morehead State
03-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Diehl has been and is fine at LT. This. Eli is one of the least sacked QBs in the NFL over the past 5 years. We've had a top 10 offense the past 4 years. 2 SB wins in the past 4 years. You don't do that with a bad LT.This has almost nothing to do with how horrible DD is. He might epitomize the Giants' toughness but he will also get Eli killed someday. I'm tired of this turnstile.</P>

DD has been a great Giant. It will be difficult for anyone here to beat him out at LT. If they do, more power to them.</P>

Oh nice, so you're ready to admit that Beatty is gonna be the LT of our future???
</P>

I hope he is but I doubt it. He's too soft.</P>

Honestly, I love UConn football, but all these UConn guys who have been drafted high have fallen flat on their faces in the NFL.</P>

TuckYou
03-08-2012, 11:21 AM
I met Diehl back in 2006 after an away game. Really cool guy. He stood outside with fans near the bus. I actually met him, Plax, Wilkinson, Ward and Feely. I think some others too but cant remember who. I think Seubert was out there as well. But Diehl seemed like a nice guy, then again, so did Plax. </P>

As of right now, Diehl actually played LT waaaay better then LG this past year. Diehl was getting killed inside, but he played a lot better on the outside. Still, he wasnt great or anything and has lost some. But Kmac was way worse as a tackle this past year. KMac is done, Diehl, maybe has a year left. We shall see. But he is making a ton of money and the team seems to like Brewer a bunch. We could have our Tackles of the future with Beatty and Brewer, plus I feel Boothe should start at LG. </P>

swimeasy
03-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Via MG:

"One more thing to note is OL David Diehl's 2012 base salary jumped up
$375,000 to $4.2 million. Not sure what that's about. Might've been an
escalator for playing a certain amount of games at left tackle this past
season. I'll check on that."

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/03/giants_eli_manning_restructure.html

Moss#83
03-08-2012, 12:43 PM
He was the starting LT on two championship*teams . . . . so yes, I like him.</P>

No team wins two Super bowls with a starting LT that "flat out sucks".* </P>

And I said that his days as a starter may be behind him . . . .</P>What are you talking about? Teams always win SB with terrible players. Ours just happens to have one at LT.

Moss#83
03-08-2012, 12:44 PM

DD has been a great Giant.** It will be difficult for anyone here to beat him out at LT.* If they do, more power to them.</P>Your rebuttle is all we need to know about your ability to defend your position. It is terrible like DD's.

MattMeyerBud
03-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Diehl has been and is fine at LT. This. Eli is one of the least sacked QBs in the NFL over the past 5 years. We've had a top 10 offense the past 4 years. 2 SB wins in the past 4 years. You don't do that with a bad LT.This has almost nothing to do with how horrible DD is. He might epitomize the Giants' toughness but he will also get Eli killed someday. I'm tired of this turnstile.</p>

DD has been a great Giant. It will be difficult for anyone here to beat him out at LT. If they do, more power to them.</p>Your rebuttle is all we need to know about your ability to defend your position. It is terrible like DD's.

http://th13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/ahuacate/Smilies/th_eatpopcorn.gif

Roswell777
03-08-2012, 12:57 PM

DD has been a great Giant.** It will be difficult for anyone here to beat him out at LT.* If they do, more power to them.</P>

The screen name comment just made me choke on my cereal.

Funny stuff.

buddy33
03-08-2012, 02:09 PM

DD has been a great Giant.** It will be difficult for anyone here to beat him out at LT.* If they do, more power to them.</P>

Actually Beatty already beat him out at LT.

MattMeyerBud
03-08-2012, 02:43 PM

DD has been a great Giant. It will be difficult for anyone here to beat him out at LT. If they do, more power to them.</p>

Actually Beatty already beat him out at LT.

actually thats not true..

they felt we would be maxing our potential on the line by keeping Diehl at Guard.

Essentially Beatty at tackle beat Boothe at guard

Bohemian
03-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Beatty our future?

My thought exactly.

buddy33
03-08-2012, 02:46 PM
So they used the lesser player to block the blind side of their franchise QB?

MattMeyerBud
03-08-2012, 02:55 PM
So they used the lesser player to block the blind side of their franchise QB?

they felt that was the best unit that they could come up with...

Beatty is probably the better pass blocker but def not as good run blocker (not that Diehl is that great)

Morehead State
03-08-2012, 02:55 PM

Your rebuttle is all we need to know about your ability to defend your position. It is terrible like DD's.

</P>

Only I can inspire this kind of reaction Matt.</P>

No matter how hard you try...you will never be me.</P>

MattMeyerBud
03-08-2012, 02:56 PM

DD has been a great Giant. It will be difficult for anyone here to beat him out at LT. If they do, more power to them.</p>

Your rebuttle is all we need to know about your ability to defend your position. It is terrible like DD's.

</p>

Only I can inspire this kind of reaction Matt.</p>

No matter how hard you try...you will never be me.</p>

lol im a yankee fan, why would i try to be a lesser being?

and i had my popcorn ready and everything, way to fail to deliver old man

buddy33
03-08-2012, 03:04 PM
For a team that has become a heavy passing offense I think they valued better pass protection with Beatty and that is why he was named the starter at LT.

Morehead State
03-08-2012, 03:08 PM

</P>

Only I can inspire this kind of reaction Matt.</P>

No matter how hard you try...you will never be me.</P>

</P>

Gosh I'm sorry Matt. i actually had to go out and see a customer.</P>

Morehead State
03-08-2012, 03:08 PM
For a team that has become a heavy passing offense I think they valued better pass protection with Beatty and that is why he was named the starter at LT.</P>

We went on our run with DD at LT.</P>

MattMeyerBud
03-08-2012, 03:13 PM
For a team that has become a heavy passing offense I think they valued better pass protection with Beatty and that is why he was named the starter at LT.

do you think that going into this season the game plan was have a 60/40 split pass to run, or close to 55-45 or 52-48 that we typically have

i doubt we were planning on throwing as much

MattMeyerBud
03-08-2012, 03:13 PM

</p>

Only I can inspire this kind of reaction Matt.</p>

No matter how hard you try...you will never be me.</p>

</p>

Gosh I'm sorry Matt. i actually had to go out and see a customer.</p>

its okay, you still got time to deliver

GameTime
03-08-2012, 03:16 PM
so the Giants figured out that O'Hara and Suebert wouldn't be able to help them last season so the let them go. Of course those were injury issues but nonethe less they made decisions.</P>

I have the trust they can do the same for DD. They know what is right for the team and they are well aware that they need to keep Eli up right. </P>

@Moss #83.....why do you keep insisting that DD "sucks". He has had better years. So what...he has 10 years of pounding on the oline. Maybe he is wearing down a bit. Saying he sucks is just a ridiculous statment. You are over reacting for sure. </P>

buddy33
03-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Don't get me wrong, I do not dislike DD, and they seem to get by with him, but I think Beatty is the better LT. He was doing just fine against some good pass rushers before he had the surgery. I feel he could have done just as good a job, if not better, that DD at LT.

GameTime
03-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Don't get me wrong, I do not dislike DD, and they seem to get by with him, but I think Beatty is the better LT. He was doing just fine against some good pass rushers before he had the surgery. I feel he could have done just as good a job, if not better, that DD at LT.</P>

I agree and I just don't like when some board members who are fans, and I dont mean you B33, just totally dis a player who has been dedicated and done very well for the team over the course of many years. To just say he sucks just shows a total lack of respect for the guy and what he has done and meant to the team. Once a Giant always a Giant. Asa fan the least that can be done is show the guy respect." cough cough"...Moss#83......</P>

pino
03-08-2012, 04:45 PM
If we had a solid LT, I wouldn't mind giving him a chance at RT to replace McKenzie. As it stands, DD is our best LT, but he's wearing down and like someone already mentioned, speed kills him.

Kase-1
03-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Diehl is a great Giant and a tremendous asset in the locker room, but he's not the best LT, LG, C, or RG on the team so his only shot to start in 2012 is at RT

JesseJames
03-08-2012, 05:24 PM

agreed, I think Diehl is a decent tackle but you are right speed rushers have always given him a hard time and I have always felt we could do better..

GMENAGAIN
03-09-2012, 06:17 AM

What are you talking about? Teams always win SB with terrible players. Ours just happens to have one at LT.</P>

You are making a fool of yourself . . . again</P>

Moss#83
03-09-2012, 08:16 AM
@Moss #83.....why do you keep insisting that DD "sucks". He has had better years. So what...he has 10 years of pounding on the oline. Maybe he is wearing down a bit. Saying he sucks is just a ridiculous statment. You are over reacting for sure. </P>When I say he "sucks" I mean he is not a good football player. It's just another way of putting it. He is probably the weakest link on this team and should not be protecting Eli's blind side.

I'm 100% sure if we had a Kurt Warner on this team everyone in here would ask for DD's head. But since we have a QB who has excellent pocket presense we can get by one of the worst if not worst OL in the NFL.

Moss#83
03-09-2012, 08:17 AM

What are you talking about? Teams always win SB with terrible players. Ours just happens to have one at LT.</P>

You are making a fool of yourself . . . again</P>Good rebuttle. Care to explain what makes DD a good player? I'm still looking for stats that say he is alright.

buddy33
03-09-2012, 08:39 AM
I was listening to Sirius like a week ago and they where talking about how QB's like both Mannings, Brees, and Rogers do not have the best OT's but have great pocket awareness.

It's more a credit to Eli that he avoids a lot of sacks than good play by either of the OT's.

Morehead State
03-09-2012, 09:10 AM

Good rebuttle. Care to explain what makes DD a good player? I'm still looking for stats that say he is alright.</P>

More than anygroup on the field, the O line operates as a unit. When we made the switch to move DD to LT and Boothe to LG (or even when we had Petrus at LG and Boothe at center) we ran the ball better and protected better and then went on to win a SB.</P>

You can say that DD isn't a great LT, but this "DD sucks" nonsense is just that.</P>

Moss#83
03-09-2012, 09:38 AM
[

You can say that DD isn't a great LT, but this "DD sucks" nonsense is just that.</P>LOL at saying he isn't a great LT. Of course he isn't. He's actually one of the worst OL in the NFL. Has been that way for a couple of years.

MattMeyerBud
03-09-2012, 10:12 AM
[

You can say that DD isn't a great LT, but this "DD sucks" nonsense is just that.</p>LOL at saying he isn't a great LT. Of course he isn't. He's actually one of the worst OL in the NFL. Has been that way for a couple of years.

yea... just ask PFF and their ranking system

JJC7301
03-09-2012, 10:49 AM
I would love to keep him around as a back-up, but not crazy about him as a starter anymore.

I have to admit that I'd rather have Diehl at tackle than Beatty. Not that Beatty is horrible, but I think that Diehl is still better and for some reason I just don't have much faith in Beatty really improving all that much where he will be the long term answer at LT.

A new LT in the draft this year would be great.

GameTime
03-09-2012, 10:54 AM
a 10 year career says he is a pretty decent football player. Dont worry. Eli knows what he wants out of his oline.Ifhe thinks DD should be off the line then he will be. </P>

</P>

</P>

JesseJames
03-09-2012, 04:40 PM
the only problem I see with Beatty is that he really hasn't played enough to prove what he can do. I would like to see what he has over a 16 game season and then judge the guy.....I feel the same way about Prince, people say they are happy we got him but we just haven't seen enough of the guy to judge him yet..

lawl
03-09-2012, 07:54 PM

Name the starting LT for the steelers in their two recent wins.

Good luck.

Judging an individual based on a group's play is absolutely ******ed.

Another reminder, correlation does not mean causation.

Watch the film, watch Diehl play. He was the worst starter on our team.

bearbryant
03-09-2012, 09:43 PM
DD needs to be replaced unless we want to continue to keep someone in to chip so that Eli isn't killed. Unfortunately we need some work on our O Line, Big Time. We caught a break this year!

GMENAGAIN
03-10-2012, 08:10 AM

Name the starting LT for the steelers in their two recent wins. Good luck. Judging an individual based on a group's play is absolutely ******ed. Another reminder, correlation does not mean causation. Watch the film, watch Diehl play. He was the worst starter on our team.</P>

</P>

Learn how to read.</P>

I never said that Diehl is a great player or even should be a starter. I objected to the statement that he "flat out sucks". </P>

If you think that Diehl "flat out sucks" then you are a fool too . . . . . </P>

swimeasy
03-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Would DD's salary escalation not also factor into how this plays out with JR starting to make some hard decisions?

lawl
03-10-2012, 09:53 AM

Name the starting LT for the steelers in their two recent wins. Good luck. Judging an individual based on a group's play is absolutely ******ed. Another reminder, correlation does not mean causation. Watch the film, watch Diehl play. He was the worst starter on our team.</P>

*</P>

Learn how to read.</P>

I never said that Diehl is a great player or even should be a starter.* I objected to the statement that he "flat out sucks".* </P>

If you think that Diehl "flat out sucks" then you are a fool too . . . . . </P>

Diehl was the worst starter on our team last year, unless you count whatever random guy we had starting at MLB on any given week.