PDA

View Full Version : GIANTS' FREE AGENCY: WHO'S LIKELY TO GO, WHO'S LIKELY TO STAY?

RoanokeFan
03-13-2012, 07:52 AM
GIANTS' FREE AGENCY: WHO'S LIKELY TO GO, WHO'S LIKELY TO STAY? (http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/4028)

"The annual free agency sweeps opens today at 4:00 PM ET, so donít be
surprised if there is a steady flurry of movement in the first 48-72 hours.
<span id="more-4028"></span>
<div class="art-postcontent">

As for the Giants, donít expect them to make any
major splashes, as theyíll likely focus on bringing back more of their own guys
wherever possible. (That is assuming they have the salary cap space to do
it.)</p>

Hereís how I think things might play out.</p>

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
OL Stacy
Andrews: Andrews, who served as the blocking tight end and backup
tackle, could be back on a short-term deal if he received a clean bill of health
from the blood clot issue that put him on the injured reserve list to begin
with. Andrews would provide good value for the Giants until second-year man
James Brewer is ready to go, and at a price thatís likely going to be very
reasonable.</p>

DT Rocky Bernard: I initially thought Bernard might not be
back, but in having thought it over, I se things a little differently. I think
they will bring him back if they can, if only because while they ultimately
would like last yearís second-round draft pick Marvin Austin to move into that
defensive tackle rotation, Austin hasnít played football in two years.</p>

LB Chase Blackburn: A sentimental favorite of many, I donít
think Blackburn returns. Contrary to some of the questions I get abut linebacker
being a need, The Giants are said to be vey happy with the youngsters they have
at that position, and I suspect that Mark Herzlich and Greg Jones will compete
for the middle linebacker spot. If, however, Jon Goff doesnít return, then maybe
I can see Blackburn being brought back for the veteran minimum.</p>

CB Will Blackmon: I have him down as not returning, not just
because the Giants re-signed receiver Domenik Hixon (who will be in the mix to
return punts) but because I think the Giants will look to add some younger
talent at the cornerback spot that could compete to return punts as well.</p>

QB David Carr: I know the Giants would like to have him
back. However if Carr still aspires to be a starter somewhere, I canít help but
wonder if a team such as Miami might make a play for him if they canít land
Peyton Manning or trade up to get a quarterback prospect?</p>

WR Michael Clayton: Heís on the wrong side of 30, and with
the crop of young receivers in the fold, heís done with the Giants.</p>

CB Michael Coe: He was a dynamo on special teams before
suffering a shoulder injury, and heís still young enough. I could see him coming
back down the line.</p>

LB Jonathan Goff: The Giants are said to want him back, but
at the right price considering heís coming off knee surgery. Right now this one
is too close to call as apparently Goff will test the market; if he leaves, I
could see perhaps Chase Blackburn coming back, though I still think the middle
linebacker spot will come down to Greg Jones and Mark Herzlich.</p>

S Deon Grant: Grantís return could hinge on whether Chad
Jones is ready to go this summer and if Tyler Sash shows enough improvement to
warrant confidence in being the teamís third safety. My guess as of right now is
Grant doesnít come back, though Iím hoping he does.</p>

DT Jimmy Kennedy: The Giants seemed to have very little use
for him after he served a four-game league-imposed suspension last year. I just
donít see him being brought back, especially if they end up getting rocky
Bernard back.</p>

WR Mario Manningham: Color him gone, as heís going to want a
lucrative multi-year deal that pays him like a starter, which he probably wonít
get from the Giants. Tampa is rumored to be the leading contender for
Manningham, who would reunite with former Giants assistant coach Mike Sullivan,
now the Bucsí offensive coordinator.</p>

S Derrick Martin: All indications are that this veteran,
whose primary role was on special teams, is going to hit the free agent market.
If so, it makes sense, as the Giants should be able to find younger and cheaper
options to staff special teams.</p>

OL Kareem McKenzie: In a move that should surprise no one,
McKenzie has reportedly been told to look elsewhere for employment in 2012. His
play dropped off last year, but more importantly, being an 11-year veteran, heís
not going to come cheap, even if he accepted the one-year minimum offer for a
veteran with 10+ years of experience. Heíll likely get a minimum offer from some
team ó perhaps the Redskins, who could use some offensive line help.</p>

CB Aaron Ross: Initially I had him good as gone, but if
things donít work out with Terrell Thomas Ė and yes, Iím starting to become
concerned about that Ė I could see the Giants making a push to retain Ross, who
started in place of the injured Thomas last year.</p>

WR Devin Thomas: I get the sense the Giants would like to
have him back; whether they can find the room to do so is another story.</p>

CB Terrell Thomas: I know coming into free agency, Thomas
was one of the priorities. However, both sides have yet to reach an agreement
and I would guess that the Giants donítí want to overpay for a player coming off
knee surgery and are apparently banking that he doesnít land elsewhere (sound
familiar anyone?). It looks as though Thomas is going to hit he open market
barring a breakthrough before the start of free agency.</p>

DE Dave Tollefson: Tollefson is likely to draw interest from
other teams given his breakout season last year. If he does indeed depart, look
for the Giants to target defensive end in the draft.</p>

CB Justin Tryon: Tryon was actually pretty good on special
teams until a season-ending injury put him on the shelf. I think heíll be back
though if the Giants can find the money.</p>

OL Tony Ugoh: He was added after Stacy Andrews went down
with his seas-ending ailment. If Andrews is re-signed, Regardless of what
happens there, I think Ugoh wonít be back.</p>

P Steve Weatherford: Heís been designated as the franchise
player, but donítí look for him to sign that $2.65 million offer any time soon
because it carries no guaranteed money or signing bonus money.</p>

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
CB Bruce Johnson:
The NFLPA shows that Johnson was tendered a $540K deal with no signing bonus.
Johnson, who at last check hasnít signed anything, should be back considering
he</p>

TE Bear Pascoe: As the only healthy tight end on the roster
with experience, Pascoeís return should be a given. I didnít see a tender listed
for Pascoe at the NFLPAís site, but I am sure oneís coming, perhaps with draft
picks as compensation.</p>

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS
TE Jake Ballard : Although
heís probably going to miss the first six weeks of the season (at least), the
Giants like what they got out of him as a starter last year, which is why he was
retained on a one-year, risk free tender. Of course as an ERFA, he wasnít going
anywhere anyway, unless the Giants declined to tender him.</p>

You can see the entire analysis that I put together, which is a little more
detailed than whatís been posted here, as well as a player-by-player breakdown
of the Giants salary cap (as of Sunday, March 11) with a simple $5.00 purchase
of Inside Footballís March issue, which you can <a href="http://x.co/i3sy">order
for instant download</a>.</p>

* * *</p>

I want to remind everyone about something in advance of tomorrowís 4:00 p.m.
ET kickoff of free agency. During free agency, rumors fly intensely Ė some prove
to be a pipe dream while others have validity to them. In addition, with those
that have substance, things change RAPIDLY.</p>

So take everything with a grain of salt and remember that nothing is official
until a playerís name is on a contract.</p></div>

Joe Morrison
03-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Mario, </P>

Pick up the NY Post this morning, remember Kevin Boss, well he got promised the big money so he followed the money trail, he is now being released by the Raiders, nothing is guaranteed in the NFL, so don't get caught up ina #'s game, long at where you will be better off for 4 years rather than a promise that can be taken out from under you.</P>

Little less money to work with the team that got you that super bowl ring, or a bunch of promises of big money.</P>

Its' your call.</P>

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/boss_may_return_to_big_blue_NilBmx4Oo1QVd9qwEuQ8mL</P>

</P>

NY_Eli
03-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Mario, </P>

Pick up the NY Post this morning, remember Kevin Boss, well he got promised the big money so he followed the money trail, he is now being released by the Raiders, nothing is guaranteed in the NFL, so don't get caught up in*a #'s game, long at where you will be better off for 4 years rather than a promise that can be taken out from under you.</P>

Little less money to work with the team that got you that super bowl ring, or a bunch of promises of big money.</P>

Its' your call.</P>

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/boss_may_return_to_big_blue_NilBmx4Oo1QVd9qwEuQ8mL</P>

*</P>

From a health standpoint, Boss probably did the right thing. He got more money than he would have gotten in NY.

hungrrrry
03-13-2012, 08:18 AM
GIANTS' FREE AGENCY: WHO'S LIKELY TO GO, WHO'S LIKELY TO STAY? (http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/4028)

"The annual free agency sweeps opens today at 4:00 PM ET, so donít be surprised if there is a steady flurry of movement in the first 48-72 hours. <SPAN id=more-4028></SPAN>

<DIV class=art-postcontent>

As for the Giants, donít expect them to make any major splashes, as theyíll likely focus on bringing back more of their own guys wherever possible. (That is assuming they have the salary cap space to do it.)</P>

Hereís how I think things might play out.</P>

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
OL Stacy Andrews: Andrews, who served as the blocking tight end and backup tackle, could be back on a short-term deal if he received a clean bill of health from the blood clot issue that put him on the injured reserve list to begin with. Andrews would provide good value for the Giants until second-year man James Brewer is ready to go, and at a price thatís likely going to be very reasonable.</P>

DT Rocky Bernard: I initially thought Bernard might not be back, but in having thought it over, I se things a little differently. I think they will bring him back if they can, if only because while they ultimately would like last yearís second-round draft pick Marvin Austin to move into that defensive tackle rotation, Austin hasnít played football in two years.</P>

LB Chase Blackburn: A sentimental favorite of many, I donít think Blackburn returns. Contrary to some of the questions I get abut linebacker being a need, The Giants are said to be vey happy with the youngsters they have at that position, and I suspect that Mark Herzlich and Greg Jones will compete for the middle linebacker spot. If, however, Jon Goff doesnít return, then maybe I can see Blackburn being brought back for the veteran minimum.</P>

CB Will Blackmon: I have him down as not returning, not just because the Giants re-signed receiver Domenik Hixon (who will be in the mix to return punts) but because I think the Giants will look to add some younger talent at the cornerback spot that could compete to return punts as well.</P>

QB David Carr: I know the Giants would like to have him back. However if Carr still aspires to be a starter somewhere, I canít help but wonder if a team such as Miami might make a play for him if they canít land Peyton Manning or trade up to get a quarterback prospect?</P>

WR Michael Clayton: Heís on the wrong side of 30, and with the crop of young receivers in the fold, heís done with the Giants.</P>

CB Michael Coe: He was a dynamo on special teams before suffering a shoulder injury, and heís still young enough. I could see him coming back down the line.</P>

LB Jonathan Goff: The Giants are said to want him back, but at the right price considering heís coming off knee surgery. Right now this one is too close to call as apparently Goff will test the market; if he leaves, I could see perhaps Chase Blackburn coming back, though I still think the middle linebacker spot will come down to Greg Jones and Mark Herzlich.</P>

S Deon Grant: Grantís return could hinge on whether Chad Jones is ready to go this summer and if Tyler Sash shows enough improvement to warrant confidence in being the teamís third safety. My guess as of right now is Grant doesnít come back, though Iím hoping he does.</P>

DT Jimmy Kennedy: The Giants seemed to have very little use for him after he served a four-game league-imposed suspension last year. I just donít see him being brought back, especially if they end up getting rocky Bernard back.</P>

WR Mario Manningham: Color him gone, as heís going to want a lucrative multi-year deal that pays him like a starter, which he probably wonít get from the Giants. Tampa is rumored to be the leading contender for Manningham, who would reunite with former Giants assistant coach Mike Sullivan, now the Bucsí offensive coordinator.</P>

S Derrick Martin: All indications are that this veteran, whose primary role was on special teams, is going to hit the free agent market. If so, it makes sense, as the Giants should be able to find younger and cheaper options to staff special teams.</P>

OL Kareem McKenzie: In a move that should surprise no one, McKenzie has reportedly been told to look elsewhere for employment in 2012. His play dropped off last year, but more importantly, being an 11-year veteran, heís not going to come cheap, even if he accepted the one-year minimum offer for a veteran with 10+ years of experience. Heíll likely get a minimum offer from some team ó perhaps the Redskins, who could use some offensive line help.</P>

CB Aaron Ross: Initially I had him good as gone, but if things donít work out with Terrell Thomas Ė and yes, Iím starting to become concerned about that Ė I could see the Giants making a push to retain Ross, who started in place of the injured Thomas last year.</P>

WR Devin Thomas: I get the sense the Giants would like to have him back; whether they can find the room to do so is another story.</P>

CB Terrell Thomas: I know coming into free agency, Thomas was one of the priorities. However, both sides have yet to reach an agreement and I would guess that the Giants donítí want to overpay for a player coming off knee surgery and are apparently banking that he doesnít land elsewhere (sound familiar anyone?). It looks as though Thomas is going to hit he open market barring a breakthrough before the start of free agency.</P>

DE Dave Tollefson: Tollefson is likely to draw interest from other teams given his breakout season last year. If he does indeed depart, look for the Giants to target defensive end in the draft.</P>

CB Justin Tryon: Tryon was actually pretty good on special teams until a season-ending injury put him on the shelf. I think heíll be back though if the Giants can find the money.</P>

OL Tony Ugoh: He was added after Stacy Andrews went down with his seas-ending ailment. If Andrews is re-signed, Regardless of what happens there, I think Ugoh wonít be back.</P>

P Steve Weatherford: Heís been designated as the franchise player, but donítí look for him to sign that $2.65 million offer any time soon because it carries no guaranteed money or signing bonus money.</P>

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
CB Bruce Johnson: The NFLPA shows that Johnson was tendered a $540K deal with no signing bonus. Johnson, who at last check hasnít signed anything, should be back considering he</P>

TE Bear Pascoe: As the only healthy tight end on the roster with experience, Pascoeís return should be a given. I didnít see a tender listed for Pascoe at the NFLPAís site, but I am sure oneís coming, perhaps with draft picks as compensation.</P>

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS
TE Jake Ballard : Although heís probably going to miss the first six weeks of the season (at least), the Giants like what they got out of him as a starter last year, which is why he was retained on a one-year, risk free tender. Of course as an ERFA, he wasnít going anywhere anyway, unless the Giants declined to tender him.</P>

You can see the entire analysis that I put together, which is a little more detailed than whatís been posted here, as well as a player-by-player breakdown of the Giants salary cap (as of Sunday, March 11) with a simple $5.00 purchase of Inside Footballís March issue, which you can order for instant download (http://x.co/i3sy).</P>

* * *</P>

I want to remind everyone about something in advance of tomorrowís 4:00 p.m. ET kickoff of free agency. During free agency, rumors fly intensely Ė some prove to be a pipe dream while others have validity to them. In addition, with those that have substance, things change RAPIDLY.</P>

So take everything with a grain of salt and remember that nothing is official until a playerís name is on a contract.</P></DIV>

I believe this list is very accurate and that no free agent on this team is receiving more attention than Terrell Thomas today. Goff, Weatherford, Andrews andDevin Thomas will also be attended to. </P>

We can cut Weatherfords cap hit in half saving $1.3 mil at least...there may also be a surprise cut...Diehl? Canty?, but that is pure speculation on my part, but not unrealistic.</P>

Joe Morrison
03-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Mario, </P>

Pick up the NY Post this morning, remember Kevin Boss, well he got promised the big money so he followed the money trail, he is now being released by the Raiders, nothing is guaranteed in the NFL, so don't get caught up ina #'s game, long at where you will be better off for 4 years rather than a promise that can be taken out from under you.</P>

Its' your call.</P>

</P>

From a health standpoint, Boss probably did the right thing. He got more money than he would have gotten in NY.</P>

Your are missing the point, he got one year, now he's on the street, there are no guarantees in Football, they can promise you the world, more years, more signing bonus, but when it's time to pay the piper your are back out there scrambling for a new deal.</P>

Mario is not a #1, even if he thinks so, so if he gets a deal for #1 and it doesn't work out he will be on the street again next year, just like Boss.</P>

I hope they take Boss back, but it won't be for any big payday, so in the long run he should have stayed.</P>

buddy33
03-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Mario is going to get a huge pay day. It would be hard for anyone to turn it down.