PDA

View Full Version : Baas has restructured

manning to shockey
03-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Ralph Vacchiano ? @TheBlueScreen
C David Baas has restructured his contract, dropping his 2012 salary from $3M to $900K. The remaining $2.1M is probably converted to a bonus

Ralph Vacchiano ? @TheBlueScreen
If my math is right, the Baas restructuring clears another $1.5 million in cap room for the Giants. ... But that's a big "if". #NYG

titwio
03-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Nice!

Joe Morrison
03-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Ralph Vacchiano ? @TheBlueScreen C David Baas has restructured his contract, dropping his 2012 salary from $3M to $900K. The remaining $2.1M is probably converted to a bonus Ralph Vacchiano ? @TheBlueScreen If my math is right, the Baas restructuring clears another $1.5 million in cap room for the Giants. ... But that's a big "if". #NYG</P>

He is on thin ice anyway if he doesn't improve drastically this year.</P>

MikeIsaGiant
03-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Don't know much about salary caps and all that finance stuff, but isn't that a huge restructure?

Damn....

TuckYou
03-13-2012, 10:26 AM
He knows he isnt worth his contract right now.

swimeasy
03-13-2012, 10:30 AM
He knows he isnt worth his contract right now.

Yep, and that he will be under the microscope.

Aperspective
03-13-2012, 10:32 AM
I dont understand this Cap stuff at all. If they are x amount under how do they sign all draftees? How does anyone really clear cap room and have a decent team?

burier
03-13-2012, 10:33 AM
I would have restructured him out the door and started Boothe but whatevs.

GMENAGAIN
03-13-2012, 10:35 AM
He knows he isnt worth his contract right now.</P>

Eh, he is not giving up any money . . . just converting salary to a bonus that can be prorated over the contract term. </P>

RoanokeFan
03-13-2012, 10:39 AM
I think Baas deserves one more season to get it together. The OLine is the hardest unit to get in synch and we can't point to Baas and say he was THE problem on the OLine last season. I like B oothe too, but not as the starting center. I'd prefer him inside Will Beatty on the left side with Snee and Diehl on the right side.

RoanokeFan
03-13-2012, 10:40 AM
He knows he isnt worth his contract right now.</p>

Eh, he is not giving up any money . . . just converting salary to a bonus that can be prorated over the contract term. </p>

That's what restructuring is, re-distribution of money.

buddy33
03-13-2012, 10:41 AM
I was hard on him this year but let's give him a chance. It was a lock out year and he had some nagging injuries.

hungrrrry
03-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Good move

burier
03-13-2012, 10:44 AM

Eh, he is not giving up any money . . . just converting salary to a bonus that can be prorated over the contract term.* </p>

Right. But a lot of people seem to think its a slap on the wrist for underperforming. Which it is on some cases.....we won't know if this is one of those cases until the details are released.

miked1958
03-13-2012, 10:44 AM
we should be hearing alot more like this today with FA starting. </P>

We should expect to see surprising Cuts and other major Restructures to get to where we need to be to resign what the FO feels are guys they cant lose</P>

GMENAGAIN
03-13-2012, 10:49 AM

Eh, he is not giving up any money . . . just converting salary to a bonus that can be prorated over the contract term. </P>

</P>

Yes, butrestructuring usually has nothing to do with whether he is "worth" his contract, since the player ends up getting the same amount of money . . . . </P>

swimeasy
03-13-2012, 10:50 AM

Eh, he is not giving up any money . . . just converting salary to a bonus that can be prorated over the contract term. </p>

But if it's not guaranteed and he doesn't produce, it's still a potential loss if he's cut? How does that work?

JR is smart enough to build incentives into such a key position on an Oline with issues now that he has had time to learn the offense and is coming back healthy.

G-Man67
03-13-2012, 10:50 AM
way to go Baas, now start working on blocking people ... your old team almost killed Eli

RoanokeFan
03-13-2012, 10:52 AM

Right. But a lot of people seem to think its a slap on the wrist for underperforming. Which it is on some cases.....we won't know if this is one of those cases until the details are released.

In this case I suspect they use his first year performance as leverage to spread some of the money around. During the season, I remember Snee speaking very highly of Baas. So now we'll see if having a real off season will allow the OLine to get in synch before mid-season.

Flip Empty
03-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Ugh, all this restructuring is going to make next year even tougher.

RoanokeFan
03-13-2012, 10:53 AM

But if it's not guaranteed and he doesn't produce, it's still a potential loss if he's cut? How does that work?

JR is smart enough to build incentives into such a key position on an Oline with issues now that he has had time to learn the offense and is coming back healthy.

Whatever is guaranteed in an NFL contract HAS TO BE PAID to the player when it's due or when he's released before the end of the contract.

swimeasy
03-13-2012, 11:03 AM

Whatever is guaranteed in an NFL contract HAS TO BE PAID to the player when it's due or when he's released before the end of the contract.

Yep agreed Ro. Thanks for responding. I was wondering about the not guaranteed aspect of it. Looks like it was mentioned that we really won't know until more details come out about how it was actually restructured.

RoanokeFan
03-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Yep agreed Ro. Thanks for responding. I was wondering about the not guaranteed aspect of it. Looks like it was mentioned that we really won't know until more details come out about how it was actually restructured.

The individual contracts matter less than the CAP space. Teams should go into a regular season with between $10 and 15 M to account for injuries.

manning2burress
03-13-2012, 11:10 AM
"Ugh, all this restructuring is going to make next year even tougher"

It will, I get the impression they are trying to hang on to as much as they can until the salary cap jumps in 2014 from the new TV contracts

RoanokeFan
03-13-2012, 11:16 AM
"Ugh, all this restructuring is going to make next year even tougher"

It will, I get the impression they are trying to hang on to as much as they can until the salary cap jumps in 2014 from the new TV contracts

They have to handle each year as it comes up because of the dynamics involved. Yes, restructured money eventually has to be dealt with, but it's impossible to foresee how all the pieces of the puzzle will fit together from season to season.

One thing for sure, it's better to be the GIANTS than the redskins or cowboys

Drez
03-13-2012, 11:16 AM

Right. But a lot of people seem to think its a slap on the wrist for underperforming. Which it is on some cases.....we won't know if this is one of those cases until the details are released.</P>

In what world can it be seen as a slap on the wrist for underperforming? He's not losing a penny. All that money is now 100% guaranteed. All it does is lower his cap number for this season.</P>

Drez
03-13-2012, 11:18 AM

The individual contracts matter less than the CAP space. Teams should go into a regular season with between $10 and 15 M to account for injuries.
</P>

Those numbers seem a little high. I think it's more like $5m.</P>

ShockeyShow
03-13-2012, 11:42 AM
I was hard on him this year but let's give him a chance. It was a lock out year and he had some nagging injuries.

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully he's healed up by now

BlueJayC
03-13-2012, 11:46 AM
"Ugh, all this restructuring is going to make next year even tougher" It will, I get the impression they are trying to hang on to as much as they can until the salary cap jumps in 2014 from the new TV contracts

They have to handle each year as it comes up because of the dynamics involved. Yes, restructured money eventually has to be dealt with, but it's impossible to foresee how all the pieces of the puzzle will fit together from season to season.

One thing for sure, it's better to be the GIANTS than the redskins or cowboys
</P>

Who gives a $**t what next year looks like if they come home with another piece of hardware.....as mentioned above salary caps and personnel shuffles are always going to be an issue.....championships are more important.....last I checked the defending World Champs hail from NY and aren't clad in green or rocking Buffalos on their lids.</P>

RoanokeFan
03-13-2012, 11:47 AM

</p>

Those numbers seem a little high. I think it's more like $5m.</p>

That's a best case scenario

netplus
03-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Baas was awful against SF, but no OL had a good game against them. Baas did play well in the super bowl. Keep in mind Canty and Boley played better after their first year here. But if Baas doesn't improve this year I wouldn't be surprised if he is released.

GMENAGAIN
03-13-2012, 08:29 PM
I was hard on him this year but let's give him a chance. It was a lock out year and he had some nagging injuries.</P>

+1</P>

Plus, he played very well in the Super Bowl</P>