PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting sick of the ignorance

Coach Carter
03-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Reese just won two superbowls and folks are still questioning his decisions. How many corners make over a 100 tackles in a season?

Reese knows what he is doing, just wait until the draft when your picks will be better than his.

NYG216
03-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Don't worry. It is the same people that were moaning last off season.

MikeIsaGiant
03-13-2012, 03:37 PM
People are just worried about his contract and his health.

Obviously the doctors know if he's healthy or not, and they report to the organization

Shockdisnation03
Reese just won two superbowls and folks are still questioning his decisions. How many corners make over a 100 tackles in a season?

Reese knows what he is doing, just wait until the draft when your picks will be better than his.

We will be fine, thats for sure

Drez
While I don't have an issue with TT's contract, especially if most of the guaranteed money comes from a second year option, it's ignorant to think that tackles is a good measure of how good a CB is. In fact, you don't want your CB to have that many tackles, as it's more a sign of him giving up a lot of completitions (which TT did) than him being so great in run support (which he is).

Eli TO Shockey
03-13-2012, 03:40 PM
I trust Reese!

But you cant help but question the move, considering the circumstances.

That being said,

I trust reese!

G-Man67
03-13-2012, 03:42 PM
read my mind</P>

but this just shows the ignorance ... do they really think Jerry Reese would pay a guy25% more thanwhat any other team would pay him?</P>

listen, this was clearly something they wanted to get done before FA and that may have prompted them to pay a slight premium, maybe a 10% premium, but they have an out ... if Terrell Thomas can't get thru next year healthy, then we don't excercise the option and he becomes a FA, but if he does make it thru and he returns to his 2010 form, then it is not that bad of a deal</P>

the pattern with the Giants is pretty simple ... this is a young man's game and Terrell is still young and showed signs of being a very good CB</P>

let's take a deep breath and get all the details ... god can you imagine our fans rooting for the Rams?? or any team where actual, truely bad moves are made regularly and championships are more like a dream</P>

Morehead State
03-13-2012, 03:43 PM
People are just worried about his contract and his health. Obviously the doctors know if he's healthy or not, and they report to the organization</P>

You guys have to understand that long term contracts protect the players in EVERY OTHER SPORTS EXCEPT FOOTBALL.</P>

In football they protect the team. the $28MM means very little. I'm sure he will never see that entire amount. Even this reported $11M guarantee isn't really guaranteed. They can probably cut TT after 2012 or even 2013 without a big commitment.</P>

MikeIsaGiant
03-13-2012, 03:46 PM
People are just worried about his contract and his health. Obviously the doctors know if he's healthy or not, and they report to the organization</P>

You guys have to understand that long term contracts protect the players in EVERY OTHER SPORTS EXCEPT FOOTBALL.</P>

In football they protect the team. the $28MM means very little.* I'm sure he will never see that entire amount.* Even this reported $11M guarantee isn't really guaranteed.* They can probably cut TT after 2012 or even 2013 without a big commitment.</P>

Thanks for clearing that up

Morehead State
03-13-2012, 03:52 PM

In football they protect the team. the $28MM means very little. I'm sure he will never see that entire amount. Even this reported $11M guarantee isn't really guaranteed. They can probably cut TT after 2012 or even 2013 without a big commitment.</P>

Thanks for clearing that up</P>

I'm here to help.</P>

Itlan
03-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Also keep in mind, the cap is expected to increase ~$15-20 million following the 2013 season as the TV deal will come into play.

Teams can backload contracts and get by until the deal kicks in. Reese knows what he's doing, I hope, and I'll believe in him until he proves me wrong.

And remember, when he was wrong, what did he do? He brought in Rolle and Grant, who helped us win a championship last year. He is the first to correct himself.

bLuereverie
03-13-2012, 03:58 PM
While I don't have an issue with TT's contract, especially if most of the guaranteed money comes from a second year option, it's ignorant to think that tackles is a good measure of how good a CB is. In fact, you don't want your CB to have that many tackles, as it's more a sign of him giving up a lot of completitions (which TT did) than him being so great in run support (which he is).

There is no end-all prototypical "good corner". Thomas has his strengths and weaknesses just as any other corner in the league. He just needs to be placed in the proper position to do so. If Prince pans out on the edge, Thomas can very well earn every penny of that contract.

In today's league, the third corner should be though of as a starting player.

burier
03-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Hold on a minute. Information was posted on the boards and people are reactiing to that information.

if 11mill is guaranteed its guaranteed. Thats what guaranteed money is.

If there's a "but" then its not guaranteed which was NOT reported on these boards.

So far all im hearing probably this that and the other thing.

Dont start calling people out for reacting to the information presented.

MattMeyerBud
03-13-2012, 04:08 PM

while thats true, it could also mean that hes good in run support - which TT is

MattMeyerBud
03-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Hold on a minute. Information was posted on the boards and people are reactiing to that information.

if 11mill is guaranteed its guaranteed. Thats what guaranteed money is.

If there's a "but" then its not guaranteed which was NOT reported on these boards.

So far all im hearing probably this that and the other thing.

Dont start calling people out for reacting to the information presented.

I don't understand the guaranteed money with options part either, but it seems like the Giants put provisions in there to protect ourselves

hungrrrry
03-13-2012, 04:11 PM
While I don't have an issue with TT's contract, especially if most of the guaranteed money comes from a second year option, it's ignorant to think that tackles is a good measure of how good a CB is. In fact, you don't want your CB to have that many tackles, as it's more a sign of him giving up a lot of completitions (which TT did) than him being so great in run support (which he is).</P>

I honestly dont think for a second that TT's tackle numbers are because our opponents were throwing mostly to his side...no actually he was a good tackler and played very well against the run. How many sure tackles did Ross blow? too many, in my opinion.</P>

It isn't blatent ignorance that people question Reese on this contract and some others...TT had a serious injury...people want to know he is good to go 100% and isn't going to get bumped and be on IR again, all while getting beat up in cap room. It is a normal reaction, I think anyway.</P>

Drez
03-13-2012, 04:16 PM
While I don't have an issue with TT's contract, especially if most of the guaranteed money comes from a second year option, it's ignorant to think that tackles is a good measure of how good a CB is. In fact, you don't want your CB to have that many tackles, as it's more a sign of him giving up a lot of completitions (which TT did) than him being so great in run support (which he is). There is no end-all prototypical "good corner". Thomas has his strengths and weaknesses just as any other corner in the league. He just needs to be placed in the proper position to do so. If Prince pans out on the edge, Thomas can very well earn every penny of that contract. In today's league, the third corner should be though of as a starting player.</P>

Agreed on all counts. </P>

I just found it funny that the OP used probably the worst stat to go by for CBs in his tirade against others' ignorance. </P>

egyptian420
03-13-2012, 04:18 PM
T2 might not be the best CB in coverage, but he has a knack for getting picks and stopping the run. He even said he wants be the nickel corner.

He led the team in picks both years he was a starter, and those things change games. Kind of like how Tramon Williams was playing the nickel position for GB and he had all those picks in the 2010 postseason.

Drez
03-13-2012, 04:23 PM
While I don't have an issue with TT's contract, especially if most of the guaranteed money comes from a second year option, it's ignorant to think that tackles is a good measure of how good a CB is. In fact, you don't want your CB to have that many tackles, as it's more a sign of him giving up a lot of completitions (which TT did) than him being so great in run support (which he is).</P>

I honestly dont think for a second that TT's tackle numbers are because our opponents were throwing mostly to his side...no actually he was a good tackler and played very well against the run. How many sure tackles did Ross blow? too many, in my opinion.</P>

It isn't blatent ignorance that people question Reese on this contract and some others...TT had a serious injury...people want to know he is good to go 100% and isn't going to get bumped and be on IR again, all while getting beat up in cap room. It is a normal reaction, I think anyway.</P>

</P>

He was targeted about 130 times in 2010 and gave about about 80 receptions (iirc, he gave up more receptions than Webster was even targeted). So, yes, his tackle numbers directly reflect that he was not only targeted a lot, but gave up a lot ofreceptions. Yes, heis also very good in run support, but his tackle numbers are not more reflective of that than his target/completions allowed are.</P>

He gave up the most and second most in yards and TDs allowed (though I cannot remember in which he led and in which he was second).</P>

I do, however, think he's a better player than those numbers indicate. He's a good corner, he just isn't the best cover corner. </P>

Considering it looks like most of the money in this contract is after the first year when we can exercize an option, I don't have a problem with it at all. Hopefully, TT comes back and makes the jump I was expecting of him last season before his injury.</P>

Drez
03-13-2012, 04:26 PM
T2 might not be the best CB in coverage, but he has a knack for getting picks and stopping the run. He even said he wants be the nickel corner.

He led the team in picks both years he was a starter, and those things change games. Kind of like how Tramon Williams was playing the nickel position for GB and he had all those picks in the 2010 postseason.
</P>

He isn't as great of a ballhawk as you think. Sure, he led the team with 5 picks in '10, but he was targeted ~130 times. He really should have had more with that many targets. Webster only had one fewer that season and was targeted significantly fewer times than TT.</P>

He is excellent in run support.</P>

egyptian420
03-13-2012, 04:29 PM

</p>

He isn't as great of a ballhawk as you think. Sure, he led the team with 5 picks in '10, but he was targeted ~130 times. He really should have had more with that many targets. Webster only had one fewer that season and was targeted significantly fewer times than TT.</p>

He is excellent in run support.</p>
Hence why I suggested he would be a great nickel. Probably one of the best.

miken609
03-13-2012, 04:31 PM

JR sucks at being a GM.. he got so lucky that Eli can play with awful receivers and saves like every game in the 4th Quarter. Were you watching the defense for 99% of this year? awful.

egyptian420
03-13-2012, 04:34 PM

JR sucks at being a GM.. he got so lucky that Eli can play with awful receivers and saves like every game in the 4th Quarter. Were you watching the defense for 99% of this year? awful.
What defense? I could've sworn they were all on I.R.

With regards to our WR's, we probably had one of the best groups with Nicks, Cruz, and Manningham.

Drez
03-13-2012, 04:35 PM

</P>

He isn't as great of a ballhawk as you think. Sure, he led the team with 5 picks in '10, but he was targeted ~130 times. He really should have had more with that many targets. Webster only had one fewer that season and was targeted significantly fewer times than TT.</P>

</P>

That's where he thinks he'll play. He even was looking forward to moving inside when we drafted Prince. I would imagine he'll do very well there.</P>

It still doesn't change the fact that he isn't as big of a ball hawk as people give him credit for.</P>

I know it doesn't sound like I like TT, but I really do. I actually thought he was in position to make a big jump in his game before the ACL. I just think people overstate how good he is, like the numerous people (posters on this board and media clowns) that think he is/was our best CB.</P>

Drez
03-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Reese just won two superbowls and folks are still questioning his decisions. How many corners make over a 100 tackles in a season? Reese knows what he is doing, just wait until the draft when your picks will be better than his. JR sucks at being a GM.. he got so lucky that Eli can play with awful receivers and saves like every game in the 4th Quarter. Were you watching the defense for 99% of this year? awful.</P>

Awful receivers? What ****ing team were you watching?</P>

egyptian420
03-13-2012, 04:43 PM

</p>

He isn't as great of a ballhawk as you think. Sure, he led the team with 5 picks in '10, but he was targeted ~130 times. He really should have had more with that many targets. Webster only had one fewer that season and was targeted significantly fewer times than TT.</p>

He is excellent in run support.</p>

</p>

That's where he thinks he'll play. He even was looking forward to moving inside when we drafted Prince. I would imagine he'll do very well there.</p>

It still doesn't change the fact that he isn't as big of a ball hawk as people give him credit for.</p>

I know it doesn't sound like I like TT, but I really do. I actually thought he was in position to make a big jump in his game before the ACL. I just think people overstate how good he is, like the numerous people (posters on this board and media clowns) that think he is/was our best CB.</p>
<a class="account-group js-account-group js-action-profile js-user-profile-link" href="https://twitter.com/#%21/NotoriousOHM" data-user-id="35410338"><strong class="fullname js-action-profile-name">Ohm Youngmisuk[/b]
<span>?</span>
<span class="username js-action-profile-name"><s>@</s>NotoriousOHM</span></a><a class="with-icn js-toggle-fav" href="https://twitter.com/#"><span class="favorite" title="Favorite"></span>
</a>

<p class="js-tweet-text">Thomas: "I can't wait to contribute and get
back in that nickel spot and everybody can feel comfortable again and
nobody is out of position"</p><p class="js-tweet-text">Again, this doesn't mean much but I seriously think he should be no more than a nickel. Prince was a first round draft pick and he looked good near the end of the season.</p><p class="js-tweet-text">Add another full offseason, OTA's and minicamp, and maybe even 3 or 4 games next season, and I fully expect Prince to be the starter along with C-Web.</p><p class="js-tweet-text">I think the team is fully aware of how terrible T2 was in covering WR's man to man.
</p>

Drez
03-13-2012, 04:47 PM

</P>

</P>

That's where he thinks he'll play. He even was looking forward to moving inside when we drafted Prince. I would imagine he'll do very well there.</P>

It still doesn't change the fact that he isn't as big of a ball hawk as people give him credit for.</P>

I know it doesn't sound like I like TT, but I really do. I actually thought he was in position to make a big jump in his game before the ACL. I just think people overstate how good he is, like the numerous people (posters on this board and media clowns) that think he is/was our best CB.</P>
<STRONG class="fullname js-action-profile-name">Ohm Youngmisuk[/b] <SPAN>?</SPAN> <SPAN class="username js-action-profile-name"><S>@</S>NotoriousOHM</SPAN> (https://twitter.com/#%21/NotoriousOHM)<SPAN class=favorite title=Favorite></SPAN> (https://twitter.com/#)

<P class=js-tweet-text>Thomas: "I can't wait to contribute and get back in that nickel spot and everybody can feel comfortable again and nobody is out of position"</P>
<P class=js-tweet-text>Again, this doesn't mean much but I seriously think he should be no more than a nickel. Prince was a first round draft pick and he looked good near the end of the season.</P>
<P class=js-tweet-text>Add another full offseason, OTA's and minicamp, and maybe even 3 or 4 games next season, and I fully expect Prince to be the starter along with C-Web.</P>
<P class=js-tweet-text>I think the team is fully aware of how terrible T2 was in covering WR's man to man.
</P>

</P>

I concur.</P>

SweetZombieJesus
03-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Hey, we had a one month reprieve from winning a Super Bowl and now the armchair GMs come out of the woodwork.

GMENAGAIN
03-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Reese just won two superbowls and folks are still questioning his decisions. How many corners make over a 100 tackles in a season? Reese knows what he is doing, just wait until the draft when your picks will be better than his.</P>

Ha ha . . . then this is not the place for you dude.</P>

G-Man67
03-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Reese you IMGRATE !

BeatYale
03-13-2012, 05:22 PM

Word. Maybe the forum is filled with fair weather fans lately who have no idea what Terrell Thomas is capable of. Real fans know TT was our best DB in 2010 and was poised to have a monster season in 2011.

I think people just assume a guy coming off a serious knee injury is done for good and that the team resigns him under a 4 year contract without doing a medical evaluation on him?

nhpgiantsfan
03-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Reese just won two superbowls and folks are still questioning his decisions. How many corners make over a 100 tackles in a season? Reese knows what he is doing, just wait until the draft when your picks will be better than his.</P>

</P>

Not many corners make 100 tackles a year. But the ones that do are the ones that consistantly allow the guy they are covering to catch the ball!!!</P>

Drez
03-13-2012, 05:36 PM
Reese just won two superbowls and folks are still questioning his decisions. How many corners make over a 100 tackles in a season? Reese knows what he is doing, just wait until the draft when your picks will be better than his. Word. Maybe the forum is filled with fair weather fans lately who have no idea what Terrell Thomas is capable of. Real fans know TT was our best DB in 2010 and was poised to have a monster season in 2011. I think people just assume a guy coming off a serious knee injury is done for good and that the team resigns him under a 4 year contract without doing a medical evaluation on him?</P>

Dude, TT was DEFINITELY NOT our best DB in 2010. He was the second highest targeted CB in the NFL at about ~130 targets and gave up about ~80 receptions. He gave up the most and second most in yards and TDs (though I can't remember in which he led and in which he was second). Sure, he had 5 picks, but considering how many times he was targeted, he should have had more. Yes, he is excellent in run support, but that should be secondary to coverage skills for a CB, imo. To claim that TT was our best CB in 2010 is just dumb.</P>

Drez
03-13-2012, 05:37 PM

</P>

Not many corners make 100 tackles a year. But the ones that do are the ones that consistantly allow the guy they are covering to catch the ball!!!</P>

</P>

Amazingly, people seem to not realize that.</P>