PDA

View Full Version : Redskins’ trade with Rams elicits memories of Giants’ draft day deal for Eli Manning. OH NO!!

jakegibbs
03-13-2012, 04:15 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-trade-with-rams-elicits-memories-of-giants-draft-day-deal-for-eli-manning/2012/03/10/gIQA9QEa3R_blog.html

This could be bad for NYG's & the rest of the NFC East. They're compairing this to the NYG's trade for Manning hmmmm... We all know how that turned out so far.

The Washington Redskins’ trade with the St. Louis Rams for the second overall choice in this year’s draft brings immediate comparisons to the 2004 draft-day deal in which the San Diego Chargers, after selecting quarterback Eli Manning first overall, traded him to the New York Giants.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Anything to write a story..... [|-)]

jakegibbs
03-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Anything to write a story..... [|-)]

Haven't followed RG3 career but was he a 4 year starter like Eli? If he was he hadn't had much press during that time that I've heard of anyway but don't live in Texas anymore.

miked1958
03-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Lets see. Why dont we add up all the SB Rings that QBs like RG3 has won....</P>

Okay here we go. QBs with decent arms and lots of running ability</P>

Michael Vick = 0</P>

Vince Young = 0</P>

Travais Jackson =0</P>

Warrnen Moon = 0</P>

Tim Tebow = 0 so far</P>

Cam Newton = 0 so far</P>

Josh Freeman = 0</P>

Older QBS, non Starters or out of league, retired</P>

Steve McNair = 0</P>

Randall Cunningham = 0</P>

Daunte Culpepper = 0</P>

JaMarcus Russel = 0</P>

Donovan McNabb = 0</P>

Fran Tarkenton = 0</P>

Jeff Blake = 0</P>

Kordell Stewart = 0</P>

Who am I missing???? I am sure there is more. But i think you get the point. The Redskins Mortgaged their Future on the Type QB that NEVER wins a SB.</P>

I guess Colt McCoy could be added to that list. Also coming out of the Draft guys like guys like Eric Crouch, Jason White, and Gino Torretta, running quarterbacks are notoriously poor NFL stock.</P>

</P>

nygsb42champs
03-13-2012, 05:04 PM
The Skins gave up more than we did.

thomsoad
03-13-2012, 05:29 PM
I personally am pretty concerned about this. Yeah they paid alot but RG3 has serious potential. Fact is teams just dont win anymore without a great QB.

Skins know there current crop aint gonna cut it so they are going out to get a franchise QB.

As for people saying they paid too much... Who of us says that about Eli now?

New league people... Defense no longer wins Championships. Its a passing league now. Which means you need a stud QB

miked1958
03-13-2012, 05:32 PM
guess we can add Jason Campbell to that list. lol

G-Man67
03-13-2012, 05:33 PM
well we gave less to get the #1 QB in 2004 with a pedigree</P>

they are only getting the 2nd best QB in the draft ... plus they just got zapped with a $36MM cap hit and they won't have a number one pick until2015?</P>

so if RG3 comes good, then they probably paid a fair price, but if he ends up not winning a Super Bowl, like most "running" QBs have failed to do, then they overpaid</P>

stay tuned</P>

DragonSoul
03-14-2012, 12:07 AM

Michael Vick = 0</P>

Vince Young = 0</P>

Travais Jackson =*0</P>

Warrnen Moon = 0</P>

Tim Tebow = 0 so far</P>

Josh Freeman = 0</P>

Steve McNair = 0</P>

Daunte Culpepper = 0</P>

JaMarcus Russel = 0</P>

Donovan McNabb = 0</P>

Fran Tarkenton = 0</P>

Jeff Blake = 0</P>

Kordell Stewart = 0</P>

Who am I missing???? I am sure there is more. But i think you get the point. The Redskins Mortgaged their Future on the Type QB that NEVER wins a SB.</P>

I guess Colt McCoy could be added to that list. Also coming out of the Draft guys like guys like Eric Crouch, Jason White, and Gino Torretta, running quarterbacks are notoriously poor NFL stock.</P>

*</P>steve young & to a degree namath if you are honest

JJC7301
03-14-2012, 12:20 AM
When I heard that the 'skins made the trade I thought it was a wise move because they need a franchise QB. When I heard how much they gave up, I thought it was too much.

TuckYou
03-14-2012, 12:43 AM
If the rams are any part of smart, they should be great in a few years. Skins got another scrambling qb, that makes 3 in our division alone, that our d will struggle to tackle but can still break.

Tommy3rd
03-14-2012, 12:48 AM
steve young and rodgers both can run, but both are really good passers, not just "decent arms".

BurnerNYG
03-14-2012, 05:19 AM

Michael Vick = 0</P>

Vince Young = 0</P>

Travais Jackson =*0</P>

Warrnen Moon = 0</P>

Tim Tebow = 0 so far</P>

Josh Freeman = 0</P>

Steve McNair = 0</P>

Daunte Culpepper = 0</P>

JaMarcus Russel = 0</P>

Donovan McNabb = 0</P>

Fran Tarkenton = 0</P>

Jeff Blake = 0</P>

Kordell Stewart = 0</P>

*</P>Steve McNair was just inches away from winning the bowl, McNabb played in one and I'm willing to bet that Cam develops into one of the league's best. Steve Young was a scrambler, Elway wasn't a statue & Aaron Rodgers isn't one either.

I think in a few years 90% of the QB's in the league are gonna be a scramblers. RG3 isn't this run 1st type QB that majority of you think he is though...it's just an added weapon. His deep ball accuracy was incredible last year. I forget the numbers but take my word for it.... he's not Vick (although once upon a time I thought he was one of the best players in the NFL) and he's definitely not thanks for the money Russell.

These young QB's coming in the league now gotta earn their paychecks. Now we'll see who wants it more and who wasn't gonna pan out in the 1st place.

I'm kind of digging the fact that Washington might actually be relevant again. Tougher division makes for a better chance of who comes out on top winning it all.

Firenugget
03-14-2012, 07:00 AM
I don't care who they have. It will be tough games as always.

buffyblue
03-14-2012, 07:21 AM

Michael Vick = 0</P>

Vince Young = 0</P>

Travais Jackson =*0</P>

Warrnen Moon = 0</P>

Tim Tebow = 0 so far</P>

Josh Freeman = 0</P>

Steve McNair = 0</P>

Daunte Culpepper = 0</P>

JaMarcus Russel = 0</P>

Donovan McNabb = 0</P>

Fran Tarkenton = 0</P>

Jeff Blake = 0</P>

Kordell Stewart = 0</P>

*</P>

You missed Steve Young that did win a SuperBowl.

RG III will be good for Washington Redskins but he doesn’t have potential to be in same class as Eli Manning.

jakegibbs
03-14-2012, 08:27 AM

Michael Vick = 0</P>

Vince Young = 0</P>

Travais Jackson =*0</P>

Warrnen Moon = 0</P>

Tim Tebow = 0 so far</P>

Josh Freeman = 0</P>

Steve McNair = 0</P>

Daunte Culpepper = 0</P>

JaMarcus Russel = 0</P>

Donovan McNabb = 0</P>

Fran Tarkenton = 0</P>

Jeff Blake = 0</P>

Kordell Stewart = 0</P>

*</P>steve young & to a degree namath if you are honest

Montanna could also come up with the clutch run when you needed it.
Never forget Archie Manning he had to scramble on every play run or pass.

RG#3, M Vic, T Romo all with simular styles of play. Should make it easier if the NYG D line get's them figured out right? JR was right about this division you can never have enought quality D linemen. Go get some more JR>

miked1958
03-14-2012, 10:22 AM
steve young and rodgers both can run, but both are really good passers, not just "decent arms".</P>

thats kinda why i left them off the list. I know young has won SB.. however he was a really good passers. Alot of these type players are just average passers. Now in RG3s defense from what I am hearing he is a really good passer. however alot of times these gifted runners sometimes give up to soon on the pass and dont stay in the pocket and are either throwing a wobbler while on the run or just give up totally on the pass play and run down field..</P>

miked1958
03-14-2012, 10:24 AM

Michael Vick = 0</P>

Vince Young = 0</P>

Travais Jackson =0</P>

Warrnen Moon = 0</P>

Tim Tebow = 0 so far</P>

Josh Freeman = 0</P>

Steve McNair = 0</P>

Daunte Culpepper = 0</P>

JaMarcus Russel = 0</P>

Donovan McNabb = 0</P>

Fran Tarkenton = 0</P>

Jeff Blake = 0</P>

Kordell Stewart = 0</P>

</P>

steve young &amp; to a degree namath if you are honest Montanna could also come up with the clutch run when you needed it. Never forget Archie Manning he had to scramble on every play run or pass. RG#3, M Vic, T Romo all with simular styles of play. Should make it easier if the NYG D line get's them figured out right? JR was right about this division you can never have enought quality D linemen. Go get some more JR&gt;</P>

Montana, Young, Elway and Archie were all on that top 20 passers that run list. I didnt include them because they passed first and ran when they had to. most of the guys i listed alot of times use the pass as a second option. lol</P>

miked1958
03-14-2012, 10:30 AM

Michael Vick = 0</P>

Vince Young = 0</P>

Travais Jackson =0</P>

Warrnen Moon = 0</P>

Tim Tebow = 0 so far</P>

Josh Freeman = 0</P>

Steve McNair = 0</P>

Daunte Culpepper = 0</P>

JaMarcus Russel = 0</P>

Donovan McNabb = 0</P>

Fran Tarkenton = 0</P>

Jeff Blake = 0</P>

Kordell Stewart = 0</P>

</P> You missed Steve Young that did win a SuperBowl. RG III will be good for Washington Redskins but he doesn’t have potential to be in same class as Eli Manning.Actually I didnt miss that Steve Young won a SB. He was on the list of the Top 20 Running QBs. Along with Elway, Montana and others. The guys i listed (maybe except Fran Tark and Steve McNair) liked to use their legs to make things happen. And alot of them didnt have great arms. Elway, Young, Montana, Archie Manning (all on that list) all had legs but they were great passers IMO which is why i left them off that list.

ShockeyShow
03-14-2012, 01:09 PM
My question is, what do any of those guys have anything to do with RG3?

Just b/c they failed, automatically guarantees that he fails? Don't get me wrong, I hope THE REDSKINS don't win a SB with him at the helm, but if he does, what do we say after that? That all "those TYPE" QB's that played before him, should've played more like him and therefore would've had some bling on their fingers?

nygpolishpunk
03-14-2012, 02:42 PM
It all still depends on how RG3 will play and how he'll be coached. If he uses the pass as the first option and only runs when he has no other choice, he'll be a lot closer in style of play to Steve Young than Mike Vick... this would be bad news for us.

NYfanatic
03-14-2012, 03:18 PM
I am not scared at all. I am more scared of Romo then Rg3. Seriously the media is making rg3 better then he is. Eli is the best Qb in the NFC east and Rg3 wont develop to be better then Eli ever was and wont win any rings on the skins.

alau53
03-14-2012, 03:36 PM
the bears had a left handed thrower who was more a runner in Douglas...

BurnerNYG
03-14-2012, 04:37 PM
I am not scared at all. I am more scared of Romo then Rg3. Seriously the media is making rg3 better then he is. Eli is the best Qb in the NFC east and Rg3 wont develop to be better then Eli ever was and wont win any rings on the skins.
Hater. Now I'm actually convinced. 1st Cam now RG3.

TheEnigma
03-14-2012, 04:47 PM
RG3 is not similar to Vick in play style at all. I like the Elway and Rodgers comparisons myself. He can makes the pre-snap reads, know when to throw and when to run depending on the defense, and so forth. He has a high ceiling like Newton.

GmenFan1980
03-14-2012, 04:52 PM

Oh no! he doesn't think RG3 is going to be developed into a better QB then Eli, a two time SB winning QB? he must be drinking some nice refreshing...

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLfUrzHXOcvcWhcx9AVwNPEahLEsjmp CDgCqsvf-gtZA4v50GkzCB7K7Ns

BurnerNYG
03-14-2012, 04:59 PM
RG3 is not similar to Vick in play style at all. I like the Elway and Rodgers comparisons myself. He can makes the pre-snap reads, know when to throw and when to run depending on the defense, and so forth. He has a high ceiling like Newton.+1 Sometimes you gotta stop fooling yourself (not you) and see things for what they really are. I hate reading dumb ish.

BurnerNYG
03-14-2012, 05:02 PM

Oh no! he doesn't think RG3 is going to be developed into a better QB then Eli, a two time SB winning QB? he must be drinking some nice refreshing...

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLfUrzHXOcvcWhcx9AVwNPEahLEsjmp CDgCqsvf-gtZA4v50GkzCB7K7NsPlease bro, don't flatter yourself. He was trying to say something else but he threw Eli in the equation to hide behind what he really wanted to say. He's a clown and so are you for sticking up for him lol.

TheEnigma
03-14-2012, 05:05 PM
RG3 is not similar to Vick in play style at all. I like the Elway and Rodgers comparisons myself. He can makes the pre-snap reads, know when to throw and when to run depending on the defense, and so forth. He has a high ceiling like Newton.+1 Sometimes you gotta stop fooling yourself (not you) and see things for what they really are. I hate reading dumb ish.RG3 and Vick have similar body types but that's where I would stop the comparisons. As for Newton, I see him as a more athletic Big Ben who still needs a bit more work in the pocket but has the work ethic to achieve just that.

GmenFan1980
03-14-2012, 05:09 PM

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLfUrzHXOcvcWhcx9AVwNPEahLEsjmp CDgCqsvf-gtZA4v50GkzCB7K7NsPlease bro, don't flatter yourself. He was trying to say something else but he threw Eli in the equation to hide behind what he really wanted to say. He's a clown and so are you for sticking up for him lol.

Calling other people clowns because they don't agree with you? Well you are just the spitting image of a Model citizen huh?

You think he is racist, good for you.

I think RG3 is good, but the Skins are garbage in my eyes so it won't make to much of a difference to me because his talents won't help them to far. Unless you think he is as good as Peyton manning and can completely cover up any flaws in their team?

BurnerNYG
03-14-2012, 05:10 PM
RG3 is not similar to Vick in play style at all. I like the Elway and Rodgers comparisons myself. He can makes the pre-snap reads, know when to throw and when to run depending on the defense, and so forth. He has a high ceiling like Newton.+1 Sometimes you gotta stop fooling yourself (not you) and see things for what they really are. I hate reading dumb ish.RG3 and Vick have similar body types but that's where I would stop the comparisons. As for Newton, I see him as a more athletic Big Ben who still needs a bit more work in the pocket but has the work ethic to achieve just that.Yeah you're definitely correct, he does need more work but like you said... he has the work ethic to achieve his goals. When I hear RG3 and Newton speak, I hear truth and determination in their words. I hate when people compare them to Russell or Vince Young. Why not compare them to Elway or Roethlisberger? Some folks are real shallow and that's why hate coming on this board.

NYfanatic
03-14-2012, 08:38 PM
wow so I should like my rivals qb then huh?
go root for the redskins
I thought RG3 would be a good qb (if you saw what I posted before this trade) I like his character and seems to know a bit about how to read D's....but now since he is a skin all i want him to do is fail...like I want Tom brady, Sanchezzz (who is doing a good job at failing), Romo and Vick to fail and to a lesser extent big ben and newton (who have bad attitudes)

NYfanatic
03-14-2012, 08:40 PM

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLfUrzHXOcvcWhcx9AVwNPEahLEsjmp CDgCqsvf-gtZA4v50GkzCB7K7Ns
Yep I got me some of that haterade.
I deep down think RG3 will squash our franchise make the redskins 6x Superbowl champs and embarrass JPP every game they get....
Since you know Dan Synder and the skins organization is the best ever....

NYfanatic
03-14-2012, 08:43 PM

I am a clown now? Wow thanks a lot for the name calling. So apparently if you dont like a "black" according to you it means you are a racist? Really dude get your priorities straight. I hated mega on Tom Brady calling him a system qb before the superbowl but thats ok because he isnt black right?
I hate sanchez I think he is trash and doesnt deserve anything the media and jets were giving him...
I dont like romo and vick and now I dont like Rg3 (unless he isnt a skin) Its just that I root for the NY Giants and not for my rivals to succeed.

BurnerNYG
03-14-2012, 10:43 PM

I am a clown now? Wow thanks a lot for the name calling. So apparently if you dont like a "black" according to you it means you are a racist? Really dude get your priorities straight. I hated mega on Tom Brady calling him a system qb before the superbowl but thats ok because he isnt black right?
I hate sanchez I think he is trash and doesnt deserve anything the media and jets were giving him...
I dont like romo and vick and now I dont like Rg3 (unless he isnt a skin) Its just that I root for the NY Giants and not for my rivals to succeed.
I'm a Giants fan but I like football and great players. Just like I grew up rooting for the Bulls but I also liked Magic, Ewing and Bird. Stop being a hater and stop fronting because you was rooting for Tebow all season you big liar.

TheEnigma
03-14-2012, 11:59 PM
RG3 is a good kid and I'd rather him and the Redskins become our rivals and watch the Eagles fall to pieces. You can't tell me the idea of RG3/Eli shootouts wouldn't be great games?

thomsoad
03-15-2012, 09:45 AM

Michael Vick = 0</P>

Vince Young = 0</P>

Travais Jackson =*0</P>

Warrnen Moon = 0</P>

Tim Tebow = 0 so far</P>

Josh Freeman = 0</P>

Steve McNair = 0</P>

Daunte Culpepper = 0</P>

JaMarcus Russel = 0</P>

Donovan McNabb = 0</P>

Fran Tarkenton = 0</P>

Jeff Blake = 0</P>

Kordell Stewart = 0</P>

*</P>

You missed Steve Young that did win a SuperBowl.

RG III will be good for Washington Redskins but he doesn’t have potential to be in same class as Eli Manning.

If he is anything like Steve Young then we are in some serious trouble. I personally think Steve Young was the most complete QB to ever play the game. I even go as far as to say the greatest QB to ever play the game.

miked1958
03-15-2012, 10:33 AM
My question is, what do any of those guys have anything to do with RG3?

Just b/c they failed, automatically guarantees that he fails? Don't get me wrong, I hope THE REDSKINS don't win a SB with him at the helm, but if he does, what do we say after that? That all "those TYPE" QB's that played before him, should've played more like him and therefore would've had some bling on their fingers?

</P>

I am in NO WAY saying that RG3 will fail because all those others did. All I am saying is History shows that type of QB overall doesnt get it done SB wise. Facts dont lie. </P>

With That said.. What type of passer/player was Doug Williams?? I know he won a SB with the Skins but was not on any of the top 20 to 30 lists for QBs that run. I guess he was mostly a pocket passer then???</P>

Sanntee31
03-15-2012, 04:35 PM
I dont know much about RG3, but what I do know is from week 1 until week 6 or 7, he had more TD passes than incomplete passes. Seems like a better than good passer to me. Even tho it was college, still pretty damn good. IMO</P>