PDA

View Full Version : Giants interested in Martellus Bennett

dayeh33
03-13-2012, 05:42 PM
@NotoriousOHM: Giants have an interest in Cowboys free agent TE Martellus Bennett according to a source.

Thoughts?

nycsportzfan
03-13-2012, 05:45 PM
@NotoriousOHM: Giants have an interest in Cowboys free agent TE Martellus Bennett according to a source. Thoughts? Yup, hes a under achiever, but sometimes a change of scenery can really help... Not to mention, hes not a bad TE to add if were still gonna draft one...

MattMeyerBud
03-13-2012, 05:46 PM
@NotoriousOHM: Giants have an interest in Cowboys free agent TE Martellus Bennett according to a source. Thoughts? Yup, hes a under achiever, but sometimes a change of scenery can really help... Not to mention, hes not a bad TE to add if were still gonna draft one...

hard to over acheive with Witten in front of you

egyptian420
03-13-2012, 05:48 PM

EXACTLY what I was thinking....also doesn't give you that much confidence

BlueJayC
03-13-2012, 05:49 PM
The guy is the offensive version of Haynesworth....pure waste of size and talent....lazy....no heart....no thanks.....

nygfan0816
03-13-2012, 05:50 PM
booo

joel dressen > bennett

boss> bennett

cornerback30
03-13-2012, 06:00 PM
With our cap issues and with signing Thomas to his deal how can we even afford anyone else.Besides I thought ,well I hoped we would pick up one of the better TEs via draft.Tired of seeing other teams TEs outrun our LBs,lets flip the script for once and have our TE be a problem to match up with.,

TuckYou
03-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Sounds like we are getting him...

TuckYou
Sounds like we are getting him... Hopefully cheap.

bklyn1028
Raiders owe Boss $2mil in guaranteed $. Giants can have him cheap. According to the NY Post anyway, then again, what do they know.....lol

Neverend
03-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Gotta admit, I would hate this signing.

Axels15
03-13-2012, 06:06 PM
That is categorically untrue.

Boss is not that good

TrueBlue2180
03-13-2012, 06:07 PM
The guy is the offensive version of Haynesworth....pure waste of size and talent....lazy....no heart....no thanks.....

Definitely this.

Pakman
03-13-2012, 06:10 PM
If Boss hits the ground once he will have a season ending concussion.

I would take Bennett over him any day.

hungrrrry
03-13-2012, 06:16 PM
http://m.nbcsports.com/s/3030/proFootballTalkDetails?itemUriVal=6f27ef3e689dad1a 933da986385bda7c%2F3015149920137770314810463&amp;view= hdl&amp;itemTitle=Martellus</P>

Bennett visiting New York, Giants hope to sign him quickly</P>

</P>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD style="MARGIN-TOP: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 4px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 2px" vAlign=center width="100%" align=left>Martellus Bennett visiting New York, Giants hope to sign him quickly</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; MARGIN-TOP: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 4px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 1px" vAlign=center width="100%" align=left>March 13, 2012 5:00 PM ET, by Michael David Smith</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD style="MARGIN-TOP: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; WIDTH: 100%; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 1px">
<DIV id=blockquote>

The New York Giants have a need at tight end, and they’re hoping to move quickly to fill that need by taking a player away from a division rival.</P>

Martellus Bennett (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4639/martellus-bennett), a tight end who has played his entire four-year career with the Dallas Cowboys, is on his way to New York for a visit, and the Giants have identified him as their top target and hope to get him signed quickly, Mike Garafolo of the Star-Ledger reports (https://twitter.com/#!/MikeGarafolo).</P>

As the No. 2 tight end behind Jason Witten (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1990/jason-witten), Bennett didn’t have a major impact in the Cowboys’ offense, catching 17 passes for 144 yards last season. But he’s a talented 6-foot-6 270-pounder who fills a major need for the Giants.</P>

After the Giants lost two tight ends to torn ACLs in the Super Bowl and former Giants tight end Kevin Boss (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4264/kevin-boss) was sent packing by the Raiders, many NFL observers just assumed that Boss would find his way back to New York. But at the moment, Bennett is the tight end the Giants most want to sign.</P></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></P>

ShockeyShow
03-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Why would Martellus Bennett automatically be an underachiever here just because he was playing behind Witten in Dallas?

hungrrrry
03-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Bennett is also a quality blocking TE which comes first and foremost in the NY Giants system...Boss is made of glass

Sundown
03-13-2012, 06:19 PM
I took a break from my vacation to these boards to say HELL NO!! Dude is an idiot and lazy too!! He's not wanted here!!

nycsportzfan
03-13-2012, 06:19 PM

True, but he could of made a tad bit bigger impact... I like the pickup though, but i'd still like to draft one...

Pakman
03-13-2012, 06:20 PM
I took a break from my vacation to these boards to say HELL NO!! Dude is an idiot and lazy too!! He's not wanted here!!

When most of the boards feels like this ^

It usually means this dude will be an all star.

I'm all for it REESE!!!

nycsportzfan
03-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Why would Martellus Bennett automatically be an underachiever here just because he was playing behind Witten in Dallas? He was a undreachiever in Dallas, regardless of playing behind Witten or not.. I mean, he had the same production as John Phillips for godsake...

nycsportzfan
03-13-2012, 06:27 PM
With our cap issues and with signing Thomas to his deal how can we even afford anyone else.Besides I thought ,well I hoped we would pick up one of the better TEs via draft.Tired of seeing other teams TEs outrun our LBs,lets flip the script for once and have our TE be a problem to match up with.,
Well, bennett should be fairly cheap..

Ntegrase96
03-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Why would Martellus Bennett automatically be an underachiever here just because he was playing behind Witten in Dallas?

John Phillips played much better than Bennett behind Witten before his ACL injury. He did nothing with his opportunities after his rookie year... case and point?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d823a0757/Asomugha-on-the-spot

Don't undestand this one. You guys don't want this guy.

Pros? He is the best blocking TE in the entire league.

Cons? He is lazy, has a poor understanding of the offense, and has not sharpened his physical gifts. Can't catch. Not a lot of good things happen when you pass to him.

Sundown
03-13-2012, 06:29 PM

I'm all for it REESE!!!

I live in Dallas and seen his antics, dude is a ****ing moron!! One interview and Reese will pass on him.

Axels15
03-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Garafolo's digging the idea of Bennett

Mike Garafolo ? @MikeGarafolo Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Maybe Reese's touch lately has me drinking the blue Kool-Aid but I'm feeling their interest in Bennett. Could flourish under Mike Pope. #nyg

Redeyejedi
03-13-2012, 06:31 PM
@NotoriousOHM: Giants have an interest in Cowboys free agent TE Martellus Bennett according to a source. Thoughts?** Yup, hes a under achiever, but sometimes a* change of scenery can really help...** Not to mention, hes not a bad TE to add if were still gonna draft one...1 of the best if not the best blocking TE in the NFL

Axels15
03-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Also according to Garafolo, the Cowboys tried to retain Bennett.

Also says this

11m @ProFootballZone ? Dallas never really used him
Mike Garafolo ?
@ProFootballZone Exactly. Never got to be a No. 1 guy. Probably disillusioned because of it.
Hide conversation
5:22 PM - 13 Mar 12 via web · Details

Gmen2005
03-13-2012, 06:33 PM
I honestly wouldn't hate this pickup as long as it was cheap.

Redeyejedi
03-13-2012, 06:33 PM
@NotoriousOHM: Giants have an interest in Cowboys free agent TE Martellus Bennett according to a source. Thoughts?** Yup, hes a under achiever, but sometimes a* change of scenery can really help...** Not to mention, hes not a bad TE to add if were still gonna draft one...

True, but he could of made a tad bit bigger impact... I like the pickup though, but i'd still like to draft one...He will get the chance to be the man here might motivate him. Like with everything it comes down to cost. His Blocking alone is worth a lot especially to a team that couldnt run the Football

Redeyejedi
03-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Id love to give this guy an incentive laden contract. If he turns into the guy he is physically able to be, u pay him if not u part ways after the season

Flip Empty
03-13-2012, 06:39 PM

I'm all for it REESE!!!
Pretty much. Too many judgments are made on what the media has reported.

nycsportzfan
03-13-2012, 06:51 PM
@NotoriousOHM: Giants have an interest in Cowboys free agent TE Martellus Bennett according to a source. Thoughts? Yup, hes a under achiever, but sometimes a change of scenery can really help... Not to mention, hes not a bad TE to add if were still gonna draft one...1 of the best if not the best blocking TE in the NFL John Phillips was no slouch either, seeing how he cut right into Bennetts playing time, and it was certainly not for his recieving ability.. BUt ya, he can block... Bennetts all right, and i think he could help, but u wonder how he let John Philllips steal playing time.

Sundown
03-13-2012, 07:05 PM

I'm all for it REESE!!!
Pretty much. Too many judgments are made on what the media has reported.

I don't need reports, I've seen it.

giantsfan420
03-13-2012, 07:19 PM
http://m.nbcsports.com/s/3030/proFootballTalkDetails?itemUriVal=6f27ef3e689dad1a 933da986385bda7c%2F3015149920137770314810463&view=hdl&itemTitle=Martellus</P>

*Bennett visiting New York, Giants hope to sign him quickly</P>

*</P>

<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD style="MARGIN-TOP: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 4px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 2px" vAlign=center width="100%" align=left>Martellus Bennett visiting New York, Giants hope to sign him quickly</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; MARGIN-TOP: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 4px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 1px" vAlign=center width="100%" align=left>March 13, 2012 5:00 PM ET, by Michael David Smith</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD style="MARGIN-TOP: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; WIDTH: 100%; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 1px">
<DIV id=blockquote>

The New York Giants have a need at tight end, and they’re hoping to move quickly to fill that need by taking a player away from a division rival.</P>

Martellus Bennett (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4639/martellus-bennett), a tight end who has played his entire four-year career with the Dallas Cowboys, is on his way to New York for a visit, and the Giants have identified him as their top target and hope to get him signed quickly, Mike Garafolo of the Star-Ledger reports (https://twitter.com/#!/MikeGarafolo).</P>

As the No. 2 tight end behind Jason Witten (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1990/jason-witten), Bennett didn’t have a major impact in the Cowboys’ offense, catching 17 passes for 144 yards last season. But he’s a talented 6-foot-6 270-pounder who fills a major need for the Giants.</P>

After the Giants lost two tight ends to torn ACLs in the Super Bowl and former Giants tight end Kevin Boss (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4264/kevin-boss) was sent packing by the Raiders, many NFL observers just assumed that Boss would find his way back to New York. But at the moment, Bennett is the tight end the Giants most want to sign.</P></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></P>

oh man my dream offseason as my sig says is on the verge of happening. guess great minds think alike, reese OBVIOUSLY follows my posts lol. bennet first, smith second. draft fleener, then 2nd round get lamar miller...WE'D BE UNSTOPPABLE AND WOULD PAY VIRTUALLY NOTHING!!! sooooooooo stoked

Neverend
03-13-2012, 07:21 PM
http://m.nbcsports.com/s/3030/proFootballTalkDetails?itemUriVal=6f27ef3e689dad1a 933da986385bda7c%2F3015149920137770314810463&view=hdl&itemTitle=Martellus</P>

*Bennett visiting New York, Giants hope to sign him quickly</P>

*</P>

<TBODY>
<TR>
<TR>
<TR>
<DIV id=blockquote>

oh man my dream offseason as my sig says is on the verge of happening. guess great minds think alike, reese OBVIOUSLY follows my posts lol. bennet first, smith second. draft fleener, then 2nd round get lamar miller...WE'D BE UNSTOPPABLE AND WOULD PAY VIRTUALLY NOTHING!!! sooooooooo stoked

That's the thing tho and what disappoints me most about this. Will the giants still draft a fleener or allen? I **dont** want them to be fully comitted to bennett as their starter for the next 4 or 5 years unless of course he has a great first season here

giantsfan420
03-13-2012, 07:23 PM
and people need to realize Bennet was a virtual raw project with almost no organized football experience. dallas fell in love with him bc of his amazing potential.

those that say he doesnt work hard, he knew he was behind witten and wouldnt get the targets, so he made sure he became the best blocking te he could be, and did so. how is that poor work ethic? he excelled at the area of play he needed to in dallas offense.
here, he can be our catching option as well as inline blocker. him and fleener would be the best te combo in the league, it'd take people to catch on but it'd happen imho

Sundown
03-13-2012, 07:30 PM
and people need to realize Bennet was a virtual raw project with almost no organized football experience. dallas fell in love with him bc of his amazing potential.

those that say he doesnt work hard, he knew he was behind witten and wouldnt get the targets, so he made sure he became the best blocking te he could be, and did so. how is that poor work ethic? he excelled at the area of play he needed to in dallas offense.
here, he can be our catching option as well as inline blocker. him and fleener would be the best te combo in the league, it'd take people to catch on but it'd happen imho

Bennett was not a project when Dallas drafted him. They got him hoping to use the 12 package and realized he rather post videos on YouTube than work on his craft. He has potential but he's too immature to use it.

lawl
03-13-2012, 07:34 PM

those that say kook he doesnt work hard, he knew he was behind witten and wouldnt get the targets, so he made sure he became the best blocking te he could be, and did so. how is that poor work ethic? he excelled at the area of play he needed to in dallas offense.

I don't see us investing a moderate contract as well as a first round pick into the tight end position.

As for best tight end duo. gronk is arguably the best tight end in the league and Aaron Hernandez is damn good as well.

I wonder who our right tackle will be come week one

giantsfan420
03-13-2012, 07:37 PM

those that say kook he doesnt work hard, he knew he was behind witten and wouldnt get the targets, so he made sure he became the best blocking te he could be, and did so. how is that poor work ethic? he excelled at the area of play he needed to in dallas offense.

I don't see us investing a moderate contract as well as a first round pick into the tight end position.

As for best tight end duo. gronk is arguably the best tight end in the league and Aaron Hernandez is damn good as well.

Well i personally believe bennet can be as effective as gronk, i know that sounds like a moron statement, but bennet has similar size and is actually more athletic. fleener compares best to hernadez from the scouts i feel are reliable in player evaluation.

but yeah i guess i should caveat my statement as 2nd best.

i just see tremendous upside with bennet. everyone forgets this guy literally had NO ORGANIZED FOOTBALL EXPERIENCE. and was STILL worth a 2nd pick to many teams draft boards. his measurables are insane, and he is an exceptional blocker. then u add that with fleener and how he is like the opposite of bennet, EXCEPTIONAL passing option but needs work on blocking...our te core would be SICK. both are way more talented than ballard

Flip Empty
03-13-2012, 07:43 PM
These ex college ball players seem to make great TEs. Bennett could become another Jimmy Graham.

lawl
03-13-2012, 07:48 PM

Well i personally believe bennet can be as effective as gronk, i know that sounds like a moron statement, but bennet has similar size and is actually more athletic. fleener compares best to hernadez from the scouts i feel are reliable in player evaluation.

i just see tremendous upside with bennet. everyone forgets this guy literally had NO ORGANIZED FOOTBALL EXPERIENCE. and was STILL worth a 2nd pick to many teams draft boards. his measurables are insane, and he is an exceptional blocker. then u add that with fleener and how he is like the opposite of bennet, EXCEPTIONAL passing option but needs work on blocking...our te core would be SICK. both are way more talented than ballard

We'll see how things pan out. I don't really think it matters who our tight end is. especially if we get another talented wide receiver.

I was on the fleener bandwagon for a bit, but I think we are probably better off taking a dt or wr with our top pick.

There's just so many ways we can go, will be interesting

netplus
03-13-2012, 07:49 PM
With Bennett, our running game would be significantly improved. Boss, Pascoe, Ballard, Beckum are below average run blockers. Plus Bennett is only 25 years old.

bLuereverie
03-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Clarence Hill ? @clarencehilljr

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

Martellus Bennett doesnt plan to leave New York without a contract or the Gmen wont let him leave without one. He flying on a one way ticket

Ntegrase96
03-13-2012, 07:55 PM

Bennett and Gronk have the same measurables, but different make up between the ears. I'm glad you're looking at it optimistically, but the guy is very immature. He had a very promising rookie season, but hasn't had a TD catch since 2008, and hasn't had more than 283 yards receiving ever.

Yeah, he's had to work behind Witten. There is a reason. He's got a better physical make up than Witten, but failed to out-perform him in his 4 years here. He never did anything with his opportunities. If not for John Phillips ACL injury, Bennett would have been our 3rd on the depth chart at the start of 2010.

BJacobs aka The Problem
03-13-2012, 07:56 PM
The guy is a good run blocker. Also add in the Eli factor. Lets be real here, both Boss and Ballard were average TE's and Eli made them look real good. This guy is pretty good and Eli will help make him better.