PDA

View Full Version : GIANTS TO BRING IN FREE-AGENT TIGHT END MARTELLUS BENNETT FIR A VISIT

RoanokeFan
03-13-2012, 05:24 PM
GIANTS TO BRING IN FREE-AGENT TIGHT END MARTELLUS BENNETT FIR A VISIT (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/03/giants_re-sign_cornerbacks_jus.html)

"Much as it seemed Kevin Boss would be the guy to fill the Giants (http://www.nj.com/giants)' need at tight end, the team has
identified another target: Martellus Bennett.<div class="entry-content">

The four-year veteran is on his way to the area for a visit, according to
someone informed of the team's courtship of Bennett. The person, who requested
anonymity because the process is ongoing, said the Giants are making a strong
push for Bennett and this could get done quickly.</p>

Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas.com was first to report Bennett, a second-round
pick of the Cowboys in 2008, <a href="https://twitter.com/#%21/calvinwatkins/status/179669774467473408">would
visit the Giants</a>.</p>

Watkins also reported on Monday <a href="http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4690670/cowboys-meet-with-martellus-bennett">the
Cowboys met with Bennett </a>in an attempt to retain him. But as Bennett said <a href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/09/martellus-bennett-looks-forward-to-becoming-a-no-1-tight-end/">in
a recent appearance on PFT Live</a>, he wants to be a "60-catch- plus guy,"
which wasn't going to happen on the same team as Jason Witten.</p>

It's unclear the level of interest Dallas had in retaining Bennett, whose
production levels didn't meet their expectations.</p>

Bennett had 85 catches for 846 yards in four seasons with the Cowboys. His
four touchdowns all came in his rookie year. He had 33 receptions in 2010.</p>

* * * *</p>

As the rash of injuries showed last season, the Giants know depth at
cornerback is very important. And that's why, in addition to Terrell Thomas,
they brought back two more players at the position today.</p>

The team announced they've re-signed corners Michael Coe and Justin Tryon,
both of whom landed on injured reserve last season.</p>

Coe, 28, appeared in 10 games before a shoulder injury ended his season in
November. He had a nice pass defensed in the regular-season game against the
Patriots but his season was over only two weeks later. Coe was with the Giants
as a member of their practice squad in 2009 before being signed by the
Jacksonville Jaguars. He returned in 2010.</p>

Tryon, who turns 28 in May, was a nice surprise for the Giants for a very
brief period last year. He played in three games and made a tackle on a punt
return while breaking his arm, <a href="http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/10/giants_suffer_blow_with_injury.html">which
earned him kudos from Tom Coughlin</a>. Tryon was just settling into a role in
the team's depleted secondary at the time he was injured.</p>

* * * *</p>

I haven't forgotten you on the Thomas contract numbers. Though he claims he
received $11 million guaranteed, word going around is the actual guarantee is
not nearly as much. I'm waiting on the official numbers so I know for sure
before throwing anything out there. I'll keep you posted. It could take a few
days before everything is in the system."</p>

Mike Garafolo: mgarafolo@starledger.com</p></div>

NYSPORTS
03-13-2012, 05:26 PM
What do you think? Kinda of a .10 cent head.

I'd prefer the Giants pass.

TheBookOfEli
03-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Bennett is talented but i question his work ethic and heart.

Maybe a change of scenery will do him good but not sure if its in NY.

rainierjef
03-13-2012, 05:28 PM
sigh* IMHO hes lazy and hasn't been productive in a pass friendly system with romo. i dont know about this one man... didn't dustin keller get released by the jets why aren't we looking at him or Chandler

Harooni
03-13-2012, 05:45 PM
good move, dont go running to boss right away, let his agent see we have options.

TrueBlue@NYC
03-13-2012, 05:52 PM
good move, dont go running to boss right away, let his agent see we have options.</P>

Yep, it can't hurt to bring the guy in and see what he's looking for. Though his aspirations of being a 60+ catch guy in this offense, which features the receivers more than the TE, may leave him a little disappointed. </P>

Also, I'm not sure the position warrants big $$ anymore, at least with how this team uses it and how we were able to replace a pro-bowler (Shockey), with a 5th round pick (Boss), and then with a UDFA (Ballard). </P>

njsean
03-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Pope will get the most out this kid. We've made do with frickin Ballard and Boss - this kid has more natural talent than either.

All reports is that he's a beast blocker as is, Isn't that pretty much what we value out our yes anyway?

Harooni
03-13-2012, 06:00 PM
good move, dont go running to boss right away, let his agent see we have options.</P>

Yep, it can't hurt to bring the guy in and see what he's looking for. Though his aspirations of being a 60+ catch guy in this offense, which features the receivers more than the TE, may leave him a little disappointed. </P>

Also, I'm not sure the position warrants big $$ anymore, at least with how this team uses it and how we were able to replace a pro-bowler (Shockey), with a 5th round pick (Boss), and then with a UDFA (Ballard). </P>

at this point you are right, we probably need a great blocking TE more than a pass catching fast TE.

JacksGiant76
03-13-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure what to think about this one. I like the fact that he's bigger so he should be able to block and he's athletic and he's only 25. Production worries me but I don't know how much Dallas really tried to utilize him with Witten there and Romo tends to key in on his guys.

This could be one of those great moves if he turns into what he was suppose to be so I think it might work out. Who knows, maybe the lack of production was him knowing Witten was the man so perhaps once he realizes he can be the main target here, it'll light a fire under him.

gzellf
03-13-2012, 11:06 PM
We'll, as per twitter, and instagram (http://instagr.am/p/IIu3c-vcmU/), Bennett has arrived in nyc. lets see what happens as the night is still young.

JMFP2
03-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Pope will get the most out this kid. We've made do with frickin Ballard and Boss - this kid has more natural talent than either. All reports is that he's a beast blocker as is, Isn't that pretty much what we value out our yes anyway?</P>

Ding ding ding ding!!!!!</P>

JJC7301
03-13-2012, 11:23 PM
As long as he doesn't cost much, I guess that I'm okay with it. I'd rather have Boss or Shiancoe (assuming that Shiancoe will be cheap).

I believe that Ballard will be productive again when he comes back and he's cheap.

JJC7301
03-13-2012, 11:25 PM
sigh* IMHO hes lazy and hasn't been productive in a pass friendly system with romo.* i dont know about this one man... didn't dustin keller get released by the jets why aren't we looking at him or Chandler

HOLY S***!! Dustin Keller got released by the Jets?!? I'm not interested in an expensive TE, but that just doesn't sound right to me. I don't know about that one -- I haven't seen anything on that.

gmen0820
03-13-2012, 11:31 PM
sigh* IMHO hes lazy and hasn't been productive in a pass friendly system with romo.* i dont know about this one man... didn't dustin keller get released by the jets why aren't we looking at him or Chandler

HOLY S***!! Dustin Keller got released by the Jets?!? I'm not interested in an expensive TE, but that just doesn't sound right to me. I don't know about that one -- I haven't seen anything on that.Because it didn't happen.

NY_Eli
03-13-2012, 11:34 PM
I'm really liking this move. This guy has great athletic ability, is apparently a stud blocker, and has a chip on his shoulder. I'd rather have a guy who thinks he can get 60 catches in a season than one who doesn't.