PDA

View Full Version : M.Bennett info/draft analysis/combine info

giantsfan420
03-13-2012, 06:43 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/564954

Guy was a basketball player before joining the football team for a season. (A.Gates anyone)

Amazing measurables.

Great athleticism combined with amazing blocking skills.

Guy had virtually no organized football experience and was still rated the top TE prospect of the 2008 draft.

This guy will kill it with the Giants, Coach Pope will turn him into an All-Pro caliber TE

NYG4lifeNYK
03-13-2012, 06:46 PM
+1

I feel the exact same way... Dallas never gave him a chance because of their love affair with Witten

Pope & Coughlin will make a man out of him & a good TE

giantsfan420
03-13-2012, 06:47 PM
oddly enough, he compares best to Kevin Boss only with more upside. Guy could have came out of high school and been a 1rst round pick to the NBA

Redeyejedi
03-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Clarence Hill ? @clarencehilljr Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Martellus Bennett doesnt plan to leave New York without a contract or the Gmen wont let him leave without one. He flying on a one way ticket

giantsfan420
03-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Clarence Hill ? @clarencehilljr Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Martellus Bennett doesnt plan to leave New York without a contract or the Gmen wont let him leave without one. He flying on a one way ticket

so sick!!! i hope my sig comes true, if it does, i'd honestly believe we are the favorites to go all the way and repeat.

how do u stop an offense that has eli qbing it (lets be real we'd be competitive if we surrounded eli with pop warner players hes that good lol) and then;
nicks, cruz, smith
bennett, fleener
bradshaw, l.miller, d.scott

thats the scariest offense in the league. eli can turn bennett into an all pro legitimately

giantsfan420
03-13-2012, 07:07 PM
also, keep in mind, we face the cowboys every season twice. the giants know what bennett brings to the field and the caliber player he can be. i full out and confident if he's our top target, he's worth it.

NY_Eli
03-13-2012, 07:10 PM
A lot of people are saying he has a bad attitude, but I can't blame the guy for being frustrated with spending his whole career behind Jason Witten.

Plus, he was playing for the cowboys...how could you not have a bad attitude on that team? [:D]

XxBigWhitxX
03-13-2012, 07:11 PM
A lot of people are saying he has a bad attitude, but I can't blame the guy for being frustrated with spending his whole career behind Jason Witten.

Plus, he was playing for the cowboys...how could you not have a bad attitude on that team? [:D]As long as our QB is ELI MANNING he will be a star.

DVision
03-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Cowboys fans keep saying to take him, he sucks.... I hope we get him and he ends up playing out of his mind! The Redskins fans were saying the same things about Carlos Rodgers and he played out of his mind!

A different team, different teammates, different environment, different coaches, and a different system can sometimes be the difference!

TuckYou
03-13-2012, 07:23 PM
I like him, but I dont expect a ton from our TEs. He will block, and will catch 30-40 passes for about 500 yards 5TDs. Look at Ballard, Boss ect.... And, weird we have an obsession with TEs that start with B... Boss, Beckum, Ballard and now Bennett... cant forget Bavaro!

TheEnigma
03-13-2012, 07:28 PM
And, weird we have an obsession with TEs that start with B... Boss, Beckum, Ballard and now Bennett... cant forget Bavaro!So I guess that means we draft George Bryan ;/

GMENAGAIN
03-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Clarence Hill ? @clarencehilljr Reply Retweet Favorite Open Martellus Bennett doesnt plan to leave New York without a contract or the Gmen wont let him leave without one. He flying on a one way ticket so sick!!! i hope my sig comes true, if it does, i'd honestly believe we are the favorites to go all the way and repeat. how do u stop an offense that has eli qbing it (lets be real we'd be competitive if we surrounded eli with pop warner players hes that good lol) and then; nicks, cruz, smith bennett, fleener bradshaw, l.miller, d.scott thats the scariest offense in the league. eli can turn bennett into an all pro legitimately</P>

Hard to believe thatwe sign Bennett and then draft a TE in the first round . . . . . </P>

rainierjef
03-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Meh.... </P>

i still say get Fleener. </P>

i don't like bennet he hasn't shown anything, everything i hear about him is he's unfocused, lazy, and a semi locker room cancer. </P>

GMENAGAIN
03-13-2012, 07:49 PM
It sounds like everyone is saying the same things about him that a lot of people said about Sinorice Moss . . . . .. didn't get a chance, would do better in a different system, blah, blah, blah.</P>

I don't have a problem if we sign the guy for a below market deal, banking on his upside. I will not be happy, though, if we give a ton of cash to a guy that has a lot of natural talent, but has done absolutely zero in the NFL.</P>

</P>

juice33s
03-13-2012, 07:50 PM
oddly enough, he compares best to Kevin Boss only with more upside. Guy could have came out of high school and been a 1rst round pick to the NBA
Lol, where do you come up with this ****? His last season playing basketball he averaged 0.5 points and 0.5 Rebs per game

juice33s
03-13-2012, 07:51 PM

Guy was a basketball player before joining the football team for a season. (A.Gates anyone)

Amazing measurables.

Guy had virtually no organized football experience and was still rated the top TE prospect of the 2008 draft.

This guy will kill it with the Giants, Coach Pope will turn him into an All-Pro caliber TE
U do know he played football for Texas a&m right?

giantsfan420
03-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Lol, where do you come up with this ****? His last season playing basketball he averaged 0.5 points and 0.5 Rebs per game

i got it in one if his scouting reports. out of highschool not college....he could have been a 1rst round pick out of high school...

giantsfan420
03-13-2012, 07:58 PM

Amazing measurables.

yeah i know. he played after he played 2 for texas a n m basketball team.

do some research before you climb up on that high horse bc i quoted his scouting reports. I "didnt come up with any of this ish", its all documented and two min of ur time could have informed u

edit-when trying to make it seem like u know it all, which no offense u seem to do quite often, u should make sure u actually know more than the person your calling out...bc when you don't you look like a complete moron

juice33s
03-13-2012, 07:59 PM

i got it in one if his scouting reports. out of highschool not college....he could have been a 1rst round pick out of high school...
No he was informed he wouldn't be selected, hence the reason he attended Texas a&m...the guys an alright athlete but nothing special

giantsfan420
03-13-2012, 07:59 PM
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1217

opening sentence says he could have declared for nba draft out of high school and been a 1rst round pick.

any nfl draft profile will tell you he played 2 seasons of basketball before focusing on football...lol

TheEnigma
03-13-2012, 08:01 PM
This pickup could turn out really good or really bad. Until the draft comes up and depending on which TE we select (if any), I'll reserve my feelings on this for now.

juice33s
03-13-2012, 08:03 PM

Amazing measurables.

do some research before you climb up on that high horse bc i quoted his scouting reports. I "didnt come up with any of this ish", its all documented and two min of ur time could have informed u
Lol, he played football at a&m from Frosh to jr year an played in high school aswell...so just how did he have "virtually no football experience" leading up to the 08' draft?

giantsfan420
03-13-2012, 08:04 PM
This pickup could turn out really good or really bad. Until the draft comes up and depending on which TE we select (if any), I'll reserve my feelings on this for now.

i agree but i dont think signing bennett changes our draft board. TE is still a huge question mark.

remember, even before this season, we've carried 3 TE's in beckum, ballard, and pascoe...bennett, fleener, ballard is an insane te core, not to mention fleener has the ability to play out of the slot so we'll see...even if it isnt fleener, we could get a couple other great te prospects later in the draft and have him play behind bennett and ballard when he gets healthy

gmen0820
03-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Good ****, good ****. We discussed this giantsfan420, hopefully it turns out as good as we've projected.

giantsfan420
03-13-2012, 08:06 PM

Amazing measurables.

Lol, he played football at a&m from Frosh to jr year an played in high school aswell...so just how did he have "virtually no football experience" leading up to the 08' draft?

link please? every report i've read states he played ball only his first 2 years at college and then focused on football. not one report says he played football from the start, in fact one report mentions coaches talked him into it bc his brother played DL...

juice33s
03-13-2012, 08:08 PM

opening sentence says he could have declared for nba draft out of high school and been a 1rst round pick.

any nfl draft profile will tell you he played 2 seasons of basketball before focusing on football...lol
No he wanted to declare, but nba scouts told him he wouldn't be selected...I think his college career numbers of like 1 point and 1 reb per game confirmed that he wasn't and isn't nba talent much less college talent

giantsfan420
03-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Good ****, good ****. We discussed this giantsfan420, hopefully it turns out as good as we've projected.

yeah really stoked. guy is still very raw but already an excellent blocker. if coach pope can turn guys like ballard, boss, and pascoe into legit te's, i cant wait to see what he can do with a guy as talented as bennett

giantsfan420
03-13-2012, 08:10 PM

No he wanted to declare, but nba scouts told him he wouldn't be selected...I think his college career numbers of like 1 point and 1 reb per game confirmed that he wasn't and isn't nba talent much less college talent

whatever you say...you went "where did you come up witht his ****" when all i did was spend two minutes researching his draft profile and quote what they said...didnt know that along with knowing everything about football you know everything about nba as well lmfao

juice33s
03-13-2012, 08:11 PM

Amazing measurables.

link please? every report i've read states he played ball only his first 2 years at college and then focused on football. not one report says he played football from the start, in fact one report mentions coaches talked him into it bc his brother played DL... Try his espn college page u jack wagon , I'd link it But I'm on my iPhone

TheEnigma
03-13-2012, 08:15 PM

i agree but i dont think signing bennett changes our draft board. TE is still a huge question mark.

remember, even before this season, we've carried 3 TE's in beckum, ballard, and pascoe...bennett, fleener, ballard is an insane te core, not to mention fleener has the ability to play out of the slot so we'll see...even if it isnt fleener, we could get a couple other great te prospects later in the draft and have him play behind bennett and ballard when he gets healthyI just think the better move would of been to target a solid veteran in FA but with Bennett, it's more like a project player with a questionable work ethic. Though perhaps the possibility of being the #1 and going to a SB winning team will motivate him greatly. I think either Fleener or Ladarius Green would make me happier with this pick up.

giantsfan420
03-13-2012, 08:16 PM

Amazing measurables.

link please? every report i've read states he played ball only his first 2 years at college and then focused on football. not one report says he played football from the start, in fact one report mentions coaches talked him into it bc his brother played DL... Try his espn college page u jack wagon , I'd link it But I'm on my iPhone

lol, sorry instead of one year college ball he played two...what a refined prospect. lmfao get over yourself.
im shocked too, u know everything so u should be able to link on ur iphone

giantsfan420
03-13-2012, 08:17 PM

remember, even before this season, we've carried 3 TE's in beckum, ballard, and pascoe...bennett, fleener, ballard is an insane te core, not to mention fleener has the ability to play out of the slot so we'll see...even if it isnt fleener, we could get a couple other great te prospects later in the draft and have him play behind bennett and ballard when he gets healthyI just think the better move would of been to target a solid veteran in FA but with Bennett, it's more like a project player with a questionable work ethic. Though perhaps the possibility of being the #1 and going to a SB winning team will motivate him greatly. I think either Fleener or Ladarius Green would make me happier with this pick up.

yeah i agree somewhat although i think bennett isnt a question mark, if reese made him a top priority its bc he did his research. i still believe we'll get a te, fleener hopefully but there is a couple more talented prospects we could get later on in the draft.

now its a mtter of signing smith and my dream offseason is complete until draft day

gmen0820
03-13-2012, 08:17 PM

remember, even before this season, we've carried 3 TE's in beckum, ballard, and pascoe...bennett, fleener, ballard is an insane te core, not to mention fleener has the ability to play out of the slot so we'll see...even if it isnt fleener, we could get a couple other great te prospects later in the draft and have him play behind bennett and ballard when he gets healthyI just think the better move would of been to target a solid veteran in FA but with Bennett, it's more like a project player with a questionable work ethic. Though perhaps the possibility of being the #1 and going to a SB winning team will motivate him greatly. I think either Fleener or Ladarius Green would make me happier with this pick up.Thing with Bennett is that even with a lousy work ethic, he was still a great run blocker. Probably better than any TE we've had in a while.

If he can get consistent targets, he's gonna be a complete TE.

juice33s
03-13-2012, 08:20 PM

Amazing measurables.

lol, sorry instead of one year college ball he played two...what a refined prospect. lmfao get over yourself.
im shocked too, u know everything so u should be able to link on ur iphoneGod ur dumb....he played 3 years of college football befor entering the draft as a junior...he was a freshmen all american for Christ sakes, how do you not get this?

juice33s
03-13-2012, 08:36 PM

Amazing measurables.

U do know he played football for Texas a&amp;m right?

Lol, he played football at a&amp;m from Frosh to jr year an played in high school aswell...so just how did he have "virtually no football experience" leading up to the 08' draft?

link please? every report i've read states he played ball only his first 2 years at college and then focused on football. not one report says he played football from the start, in fact one report mentions coaches talked him into it bc his brother played DL...
Here's a link http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11295/type/college/martellus-bennett
Also according to rivals.com he was the #1 ranked TE coming out of his high school so to act like this guy was some raw prospect who only played "organized football" for two years is completely false.

On a side note, I haven't been a fan of Bennetts since HBO's hard Knocks portrayed him as a lazy player. Personally I'd rather have Coby Fleener then this guy whose been under achieving for years

michaelkhan3
03-13-2012, 08:44 PM
All I have to say is that the guy has to be ready to work if he comes here. People seem to think that he isn't the hardest worker out there

Ntegrase96
03-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Bennett started 3 years as a TE at Alief Taylor HS in Houston, Texas. Being a 3 year starter in class 5A TX football (think friday night lights-- Odessa Permian) means he was a very polished going into College, where he played 3 years at A&amp;M as well.

P_Simms_#11
03-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Bennett started 3 years as a TE at Alief Taylor HS in Houston, Texas. Being a 3 year starter in class 5A TX football (think friday night lights-- Odessa Permian) means he was a very polished going into College, where he played 3 years at A&amp;M as well.

Since you are a Cowboys fan, what do you think of him?

Ntegrase96
03-13-2012, 08:55 PM

He's lazy but has good measurables. Not great, but good. He doesn't seem to understand a lot and after his rookie year, he never made anything out of his opportunities. In fact, it seemed as though nothing good would happen when passing to him. I can think of a few interceptions this year alone that were caused by throwing to Bennett.

Best blocking TE in the league though, bar none. But since our O'line sucks, it's a luxury we don't really need at the moment.

He's got potential, and but not as much as say a Jimmy Graham, Finley, or Davis. Not very fast, not nearly as athletic as most think. He seems to have lost a step since his rookie year.

Maybe if he matures he can be a top 10 TE, but not sure if that will ever happen.

Axels15
03-13-2012, 08:56 PM

He got that from the CBS website where it says this:

Compares To: KEVIN BOSS-New York Giants Like Boss, Bennett is a rare-sized tight end whose basketball experience allows him to get to passes most shorter tight ends cannot. He is a more consistent blocker than Boss, but will lose balance and overextend when he can't sink his pads to anchor. He has the long reach to haul in the pass at its high point, but despite good timed speed, he is a marginal route runner who will take unneeded steps in his route progression. Still, based on the talent here, he is the most "complete" tight end in the 2008 draft class.

BlueBlooded1979
03-13-2012, 08:56 PM
If after 4 years in the NFL he is still a lazy knuckled head why would anyone think he is going to turn it around ?

He wants to come in on a 1 year "prove it" deal that is good. If we give hive the "Baas" special that s bad.

giantsfan420
03-13-2012, 09:03 PM

He got that from the CBS website where it says this:

Compares To: KEVIN BOSS-New York Giants Like Boss, Bennett is a rare-sized tight end whose basketball experience allows him to get to passes most shorter tight ends cannot. He is a more consistent blocker than Boss, but will lose balance and overextend when he can't sink his pads to anchor. He has the long reach to haul in the pass at its high point, but despite good timed speed, he is a marginal route runner who will take unneeded steps in his route progression. Still, based on the talent here, he is the most "complete" tight end in the 2008 draft class.

shhhhh. juice knows everything...even tho every single scouting report says he is a raw player, and that basketball was his true sport, im "stupid" bc I quoted several scouting reports...

but yeah thanks for actually reading the links. i guess i misread where it said he played basketball his first two seasons and then focused on football.

anyways, regardless, guy is a serious athlete who is a great blocker, which we value here. if eli can make ballard, boss, pascoe look like legit te's, imagne how good he can make a guy this athletic and talented look

P_Simms_#11
03-13-2012, 09:09 PM

He's lazy but has good measurables. Not great, but good. He doesn't seem to understand a lot and after his rookie year, he never made anything out of his opportunities. In fact, it seemed as though nothing good would happen when passing to him. I can think of a few interceptions this year alone that were caused by throwing to Bennett.

Best blocking TE in the league though, bar none. But since our O'line sucks, it's a luxury we don't really need at the moment.

He's got potential, and but not as much as say a Jimmy Graham, Finley, or Davis. Not very fast, not nearly as athletic as most think. He seems to have lost a step since his rookie year.

Maybe if he matures he can be a top 10 TE, but not sure if that will ever happen.

Interesting. Will have to see if he gets signed. Thanks for the response.

Neverend
03-13-2012, 09:10 PM
He doesn't seem very fast or athletic in the mold of a graham or gronk.

I don't think just because he has great size he's a great athlete. A physical specimen? Yes. But great speed and quickness? No. And that scouting report even says so

giantsfan420
03-13-2012, 09:19 PM

I don't think just because he has great size he's a great athlete. A physical specimen? Yes. But great speed and quickness? No. And that scouting report even says so

huh? extremely athletic. its why dallas took him in the 2nd round. he has issues tho, can run his routes mechanically, sometimes can struggle with being fluid in his movements, but his combine measurables are very athletic. not really a speedster but for a man of his size, definitely athletic but physical also works.

edit-A testament to his athletic skills was the fact that he became the first Aggie since Billy Bob Barnett in 1969 to letter in basketball and football during the same season.

from the first paragraph of link

gmen0820
03-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Bennett comes in as the best blocking TE on the team, that is a huge plus.

People say he has inconsistent hands, I look more to his inconsistent targets. So maybe he isn't the quickest or fastest, neither was Ballard, by any means -- and Bennett is a better blocker.

Neverend
03-13-2012, 09:31 PM

huh? extremely athletic. its why dallas took him in the 2nd round. he has issues tho, can run his routes mechanically, sometimes can struggle with being fluid in his movements, but his combine measurables are very athletic. not really a speedster but for a man of his size, definitely athletic but physical also works.

edit-A testament to his athletic skills was the fact that he became the first Aggie since Billy Bob Barnett in 1969 to letter in basketball and football during the same season.

(edit here: wikipedia's numbers were unreliable for combine numbers) His speed and short area quickness is just average

And like you acknowledged, he isn't fluid or quick out of his breaks. He, overall, just isn't very good at all at getting separation and has never been throughout his NFL career and lack of targets isn't an excuse for that.

He's a great "athlete" in other ways. He has tremendous frame, elite range, long arms, and just a great blend of size/strength. It allows him to excel as a blocker and as a basketball player. But as a receiving TE in the NFL? No. He's, at best, a great in-line no.2 blocking TE who can occasionally go grap the football in the air. But he is never a guy who is going to put up graham/gronk numbers or put up great stats in general (to add to his struggles getting open against zone coverage and inconsistent hands). He's overrated as a No.1 TE

Tommy_Ribs
03-13-2012, 09:32 PM

Amazing measurables.

I agree with OP on a lot of topics, but I want nothing to do with Marty B. Sorry, I just don't think he has it between the ears, no doubt he has multi-million dollar talent, he also has a Five Cent Head.

He should be an elite player with his talent, but he has no maturity and a lot of mental lapses.

I'd rather bring Boss back, however it looks like the GIANTS really want Marty B. Sounds like they are trying to get him signed ASAP: http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/03/giants_re-sign_cornerbacks_jus.html

radar-ray
03-13-2012, 09:52 PM

Amazing measurables.

I agree with OP on a lot of topics, but I want nothing to do with Marty B.* Sorry, I just don't think he has it between the ears, no doubt he has multi-million dollar talent, he also has a Five Cent Head.

He should be an elite player with his talent, but he has no maturity and a lot of mental lapses.

I'd rather bring Boss back, however it looks like the GIANTS really want Marty B.* Sounds like they are trying to get him signed ASAP: http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/03/giants_re-sign_cornerbacks_jus.html
I think for reasonable $'s, TC and Coach Pope will give him an attitude adjustment and maximize his talent. That being said I'd rather have Shiancoe cheap, and draft a TE. Like Boss, but his concussions are a big worry.

giantsfan420
03-13-2012, 09:56 PM

(edit here: wikipedia's numbers were unreliable for combine numbers) His speed and short area quickness is just average

And like you acknowledged, he isn't fluid or quick out of his breaks. He, overall, just isn't very good at all at getting separation and has never been throughout his NFL career and lack of targets isn't an excuse for that.

He's a great "athlete" in other ways. He has tremendous frame, elite range, long arms, and just a great blend of size/strength. It allows him to excel as a blocker and as a basketball player. But as a receiving TE in the NFL? No. He's, at best, a great in-line no.2 blocking TE who can occasionally go grap the football in the air. But he is never a guy who is going to put up graham/gronk numbers or put up great stats in general (to add to his struggles getting open against zone coverage and inconsistent hands). He's overrated as a No.1 TE

never huh...

he wasnt a number 1 te ever with dallas. witten was like a 100 catch a season guy. no te behind him is going to get targeted esp with the wr's they have.

you know little about him just like everyone else besides reese, and seeing as reese made him top priority, and having reliable information to expect him to be a great te, ur words are way off base...

eli made ballard look great, bennet is wayyyyyy more athletic than ballard.

cool you have an opinion and all, i just think your wrong

bLuereverie
03-13-2012, 10:10 PM
I don't have any expectations of Bennet, but if he comes at a reasonable price, it should be low risk. If Giants can get anything out of him, it only helps.

He is a good blocker.