PDA

View Full Version : Not Much To Complain About Here, But I Have One Request!

GiantsFan31
03-13-2012, 09:23 PM
I cannot complain about management or the front office/personnel since we did just win the Super Bowl. But... It would be nice if this year was finally the year we drafted at a position of major need (LB/RB/TE/OL/DL/CB) and had the pick be ready to start at their respective position from Day 1. None of these picks we have to groom or a BPA at a posiiton we are stacked at where they have to wait there turn or wait to beat out the guy ahead.

No... I'm talking a stud, at a position of need, that starts Day 1. It would be nice if they didnt get hurt during Training Camp as well and start the season on the PUP. But, lwts cross that bridge when we get there! LOL

GMENAGAIN
03-13-2012, 09:25 PM
So, whoare the guys that could fit that bill at pick #32????

NewYorkSwagg
03-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Yeah after 2 Super-Bowls in 4 years with young up coming talent it's nothing to complain about lolol. Just sign majority of our own players back with a few small money free agents and finished it up in the 2012 draft, that's about it not much to say we just won the Super-Bowl..#Giants Nation

GiantsFan31
03-13-2012, 09:32 PM
That is for the FO to decide not me, lol, when I am named the GM, I'll be sure to let you know though, lol.

But, in all seriousness. I am not too sure, but I do not think the FO should be scared to trade up in drafts to get players they feel fit immediate needs.

I mean it is nice when you get down to the 3rd round, and find studs that no one thoguht was worth a 1st or 2nd, or when you find diamonds in the rough in the late rounds.

But, most of the time mid to late round picks either do ont make the team and just take up space at training camp or take years to groom into average at best, bench warmers.

I'll be the first to admit that JR has done well with finding talent in later rounds, but it would be nice to maybe shock us and get a player the FO feels would be an impact player from Day 1.

And that doesn't necessarily mean you trade up in the 1st sometimes guys slip to the 2nd that you thought would go Rd 1 and drop.

NewYorkSwagg
03-13-2012, 09:32 PM
I say OT- Adam from Ohio State for that 32 pick we can plug him in at right tackle first day.

repeatchamps
03-13-2012, 10:32 PM
but it would be nice to maybe shock us and get a player the FO feels would be an impact player from Day 1.</P>

You already forgotten about 1st round picks JPP? Hakeem Nicks?Oh and give Prince a full healthy offseason and watch him blossom.</P>

repeatchamps
03-13-2012, 10:35 PM
I say OT- Adam from Ohio State for that 32 pick we can plug him in at right tackle first day.</P>

I'd love that but expecting him or any rookie Olinemen to step in day 1 and be lights out is overly optimistic.</P>

GiantsFan31
03-14-2012, 01:04 AM
To be fair I did point out the giants success in the draft but lets be honest they have been better at finding dimaonds in the rough than sure All-Pro with their first pick.

Take a look at these recent first rounders:

Ross - 1 and done

Phillips - Inconsistent and injury prone

Prince - ? was not impressed by the little I saw

Kiwanuka - Good but not a 1st rd talent good

W. Joseph - Inconsistent

Shockey - Great talent wasted on his ego

W. Allen - Started off promissing but injury prone

Dayne - I try to forget this pick

Petitgout - The human penalty

Now also to be fair, Nicks was not an impact player from Day 1, we all knew he had the potential but it took him a couple of games to get a start and in his 3rd start he shined.

Also JPP was not an impact player from Day 1 of the season. It took him a couple of games to get a fair shot and he made the most of the little playing time he was given.

Prince worries me. We have never had luck with CB's in the first round. Atleast Ross was good his first season, Prince was injured I know, but god did he look lost at alot of crucial times last year, and I did not see the blazing spped or recovery all the scouts were talking about. And those things cannot be taught.

Itlan
03-14-2012, 01:15 AM
You do know Reese wasn't the GM for the majority of the picks you're complaining about, right?

And if you're complaining about KP and Prince of all people, I really don't know what to tell you. KP is probably the best post-safety in the NFC, top 3 in the league. He had a career year this year, and will continue to flourish next year as he won't being playing cover 1 all damn game, hopefully.

Prince was a rookie who got injured during training camp and was given a shortened off-season to learn a rather complicated defense. Tell me, did he look lost when he was smothering Nelson while Rodgers was staring him down, waiting for Nelson to break free? I'll tell you what, he never did break free. Prince filled in beautifully during the playoffs, and will only get better.

zimonami
03-14-2012, 01:22 AM

zimonami
03-14-2012, 01:24 AM
How many rookies, in the entire league, come in as impact players from game No. 1, as you would like. In over 50 years of watching the Gmen, LT was the only one who fit that bill. maybe 1% are impact players right from the get-go.
But, one can always dream. Not totally unreasonable.

JJC7301
03-14-2012, 01:25 AM
KP was the #32 pick in '08 and he started right away, as far as I remember. Had a great rookie year, too.

NWKEffectElement
03-14-2012, 01:31 AM
Sounds like complaining to me.

ShockeyShow
03-14-2012, 01:53 AM
Why do you think all these teams that draft "STUDS" never win the Super Bowl? Because they don't have the coaches who can develop GREAT young talent who buy into the TEAM PLAYER concept.

We have won 2 superbowls because we have a very talented, but more importantly, UNIFIED team who never loses sight of their end goal no matter how grim the situation may be.

BlueSanta
03-14-2012, 04:13 AM
So let me paraphrase.

Thank you for doing it right. Now, please do it differently

PRFan
03-14-2012, 05:23 AM
I say OT- Adam from Ohio State for that 32 pick we can plug him in at right tackle first day.</P>

I'd love that but expecting him or any rookie Olinemen to step in day 1 and be lights out is overly optimistic.</P>

Specially with pick #32...Also Adams was weak on the combine no? Not that he won't be good but sounds llike a bit of a project, at least 1 year away. Still can be a good pick just don't expect him out there on week 1

dave56dj
03-14-2012, 05:35 AM
Perhaps this will explain the GMEN offseason philosophy a bit better.

Draft - The first three rounds are a chance to select stars or players who can be above average starters by year 2, but in order to do so you have to forget need. I think the OP mentioned drafting a guy who can be a stud from day one at the position you need - the problem is there are not so many studs out there at every possible position - and - you're talking about a handful of players period, who usually go in the top 5-10 but some studs will drop further and in order to acquire them you have to not worry about needing to pick A steady LB, cause you need one desperately when you are ignoring a stud DT. The GMEN look for what I just mentioned, guys who have the potential to be studs. They ignore positions cause not every guy in the first 3 rounds will be a stud but many have potential, so you must let go of need or plug gaps draftees who will never be more then just that - a fill in for a need. The goal is to acquire a stud - so if its at DE so be it, LB fine - RB or DT it doesn't matter, wherever they see potential for a stud they draft. Cause even if you are stacked at DE if you draft another star you aren't hurting your team - in fact you've improved it a great deal in many respects (negotiating with vets - hello osi and jpp, and just another guy to get after the Q)

FA - here is where you can fill your needs. Grab a player who may not be a stud but enough of a player to start and perform well enough. In years when position is of utmost value - like it was with safety and DT years ago you have to overpay for starting caliber players (which is why FA is so risky and expensive - see canty and rolle, players who have been effective but with very fat contracts). This year need is TE - and bennett is a guy who looks the part - can block and may have just been stuck behind whitten and shouldn't be too expensive.

The point is if you want to draft potential stars early in the draft you have to somewhat ignore position and fill need in later rounds and plug gaps in FA. Otherwise you end up drafting Cedric Jones cause you NEEEED an end.

GiantsFan31
03-14-2012, 09:24 AM
you all are missing my point. forget it

GiantsFan31
03-14-2012, 09:25 AM
You do know Reese wasn't the GM for the majority of the picks you're complaining about, right?

And if you're complaining about KP and Prince of all people, I really don't know what to tell you. KP is probably the best post-safety in the NFC, top 3 in the league. He had a career year this year, and will continue to flourish next year as he won't being playing cover 1 all damn game, hopefully.

Prince was a rookie who got injured during training camp and was given a shortened off-season to learn a rather complicated defense. Tell me, did he look lost when he was smothering Nelson while Rodgers was staring him down, waiting for Nelson to break free? I'll tell you what, he never did break free. Prince filled in beautifully during the playoffs, and will only get better.

i never mentioned reese in the previous comment. it wasin reference to the giants as an organization and their first rd choices

Mercury
03-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Perhaps this will explain the GMEN offseason philosophy a bit better.

Draft - The first three rounds are a chance to select stars or players who can be above average starters by year 2, but in order to do so you have to forget need. I think the OP mentioned drafting a guy who can be a stud from day one at the position you need - the problem is there are not so many studs out there at every possible position - and - you're talking about a handful of players period, who usually go in the top 5-10 but some studs will drop further and in order to acquire them you have to not worry about needing to pick A steady LB, cause you need one desperately when you are ignoring a stud DT. The GMEN look for what I just mentioned, guys who have the potential to be studs. They ignore positions cause not every guy in the first 3 rounds will be a stud but many have potential, so you must let go of need or plug gaps draftees who will never be more then just that - a fill in for a need. The goal is to acquire a stud - so if its at DE so be it, LB fine - RB or DT it doesn't matter, wherever they see potential for a stud they draft. Cause even if you are stacked at DE if you draft another star you aren't hurting your team - in fact you've improved it a great deal in many respects (negotiating with vets - hello osi and jpp, and just another guy to get after the Q)

FA - here is where you can fill your needs. Grab a player who may not be a stud but enough of a player to start and perform well enough. In years when position is of utmost value - like it was with safety and DT years ago you have to overpay for starting caliber players (which is why FA is so risky and expensive - see canty and rolle, players who have been effective but with very fat contracts). This year need is TE - and bennett is a guy who looks the part - can block and may have just been stuck behind whitten and shouldn't be too expensive.

The point is if you want to draft potential stars early in the draft you have to somewhat ignore position and fill need in later rounds and plug gaps in FA. Otherwise you end up drafting Cedric Jones cause you NEEEED an end.

Great post!

DemandedAce
03-14-2012, 11:43 AM
KP inconsistent? #3 rated safety this past year didn't allow a single touchdown wtf are you smoking bro

ShockeyShow
03-14-2012, 01:18 PM
you all are missing my point. forget it

I don't think we are, I think you're just hearing responses that you don't want to.

It's like all these fans that want to pay Jacobs, Blackburn, Manningham to keep them on the team now, when we've clearly seen that it's our team concept and the players surrounding them that makes them stand out. So we let them go elsewhere for a season or 2, then they get cut and want to come back to us.

Why pay top dollar for a talent that can get us 12 win seasons and no super bowls, when we can develop a guy that can play his part "to a T" and get us another Lombardi.

I'm a huge UK Basketball fan, and I think Calipari will get a championship this season or in the near future b/c we consistently get top talent, and make a run every year. But he could fall short year after year, b/c we don't have the experience to take on teams with experienced Upper-Classmen whom have been in that situation before, and KNOW how to EMBRACE and PERFORM when in that moment.