PDA

View Full Version : If not Bennett, what about John Carlson?

nycsportzfan
03-14-2012, 07:04 AM
If we dont' sign Martellus Bennett, i hope we go after John Carlson.. Hes had crappy QB play, and i think he and Eli would have a great repoire, and Carlson would be a beast with the giants.. Hes probably gonna go for cheap, becuase his production has been shoddy at best for a couple yrs now, and hes had a few injury issues.. I personally would rather take a shot on John Carlson, because if heatlhy with a good throwing QB, he could be a 50catch 5-7 td TE for us...

nycsportzfan
03-14-2012, 07:08 AM
Also, Visanthe Shiancoe would be a perfect stop gap TE for us, and i certainly woulden't mind the beast blocking TE, who also can make plays as a pass catcher, back with us.. U could draft a TE, and groom em for a 2yr span behind Shiancoe.. I think both John Carlson and Vishante Shiancoe would be better additons then Bennett..

AceOspadZ4
03-14-2012, 07:31 AM
No offense to Carlson or Shiancoe, but ability-wise Bennett is just a far better option. Hes been behind Witten but the guy is a hell of a blocker and his athleticism is off the charts. Given the opportunity he can be closer to Finley and Gronkowski then either of those two. And thats what every team in the league is looking for now

nycsportzfan
03-14-2012, 07:52 AM
No offense to Carlson or Shiancoe, but ability-wise Bennett is just a far better option. Hes been behind Witten but the guy is a hell of a blocker and his athleticism is off the charts. Given the opportunity he can be closer to Finley and Gronkowski then either of those two. And thats what every team in the league is looking for now I don't know man.. Being behind Witten is one thing, but hes not even made a dent into showing any of that supposed talent... I mean, John Phillips had as much production this past yr for the cowboys, then Bennett has in the last 3yrs... I mean, the guys been playing for 4yrs for godsake.. I mean, hes better then what we got, but to say hes better then John Carlson or Shiancoe is a stretch.. Plenty of guys have so called "upside" and just aren't that good, or just aren't as good as people think they could of been.. If this guys that good, he'd of found a way to make plays, and he just hasen't.. Its not like he never seen the field... I understand hes got Witten there, but 4yrs in, he should of shown more.... If we were losing Bennett to the cowboys, we'd all be laughing at em, for thinking there gonna get anymore outta him then we did... Again, i think hes a upgrade for what we got at TE, but i'm not expecting him to be anywhere near the TOP TE's in teh NFL.. I'd be happy if he got 40catches....

Redeyejedi
03-14-2012, 07:57 AM
Cowboy fans have no trouble letting this guy walk.Not 1 I talked 2 said they want to keep him.Most are happy the Giants are going after him because they think it makes the Giants weaker.

I hope the Giants dont over pay or have an out clause just in case. I do think there is loads of untapped talent though

Kruunch
03-14-2012, 08:04 AM
* If we dont' sign Martellus Bennett, i hope we go after John Carlson.. Hes had crappy QB play, and i think he and Eli would have a great repoire, and* Carlson would be a beast with the giants..* Hes probably gonna go for cheap, becuase his production has been shoddy at best for a couple yrs now, and hes had a few injury issues.. I personally would rather take a shot on John Carlson, because if heatlhy with a good throwing QB, he could be a 50catch 5-7 td* TE for us...

I'd rather have Jacob Tamme over either.

giantsfan420
03-14-2012, 08:04 AM
Cowboy fans have no trouble letting this guy walk.Not 1 I talked 2 said they want to keep him.Most are happy the Giants are going after him because they think it makes the Giants weaker.

I hope the Giants dont over pay or have an out clause just in case. I do think there is loads of untapped talent though

just like canty.

the thing with bennett is cowboys fans are saying he never made anything of his time...well when you get one target a game if ur lucky, its hard to make a dent.
and he was their best blocking TE as well. the avg fan, especially the avg cowboy fan can be hard on guys who dont put up monster stats. i bet they had no problems with him when he was blocking for Murray.
Bennett is going to be like any other player and need to be involved and get him going. what player can you throw in there and randomly throw one or two passes a game to and he breaks out? witten is like a 90 reception a year guy, and romo's but buddy...plus the cowboys organization wanted him back so that tells you something.

watch him blow up here, he says he wants to be a 60 reception player, well if he works as hard at that as he does his blocking, i aint got no doubt he'll be a great giant. he has untapped potential out the ***. and from the cowboys MB, some of their fans felt he never stood a chance bc their offense goes through witten to a large degree. even cruz did nothing when we put players in front of him and they werent even that good ie stokely...when cruz got a legitmate shot he ran with it. i expect the same with bennett.

and to the OP, i read a tweet he bought a one way ticket here and both parties want to work with each other. the nyg are bennetts top priority and bennett is the giants top priority, he's gonna be a giant by this afternoon

AceOspadZ4
03-14-2012, 08:07 AM
I definitely get what you're saying. Trust me if we got Carlson you would not hear me complain. I feel that the giants however are good at seeing talent when other teams might not...some names that come to mind, Cruz, Ballard, Blackburn, Kawika Mitchell, Tollefson. I feel that if the Giants see something in Bennett to pursue him so strongly (assuming they do) then i trust the team sees something maybe the cowboys didnt or cowboys didnt utilize. I also feel that Coughlin has been great at getting guys to play to their full potential, he made Tiki Barber a fringe hall of famer. Just a gut feeling Bennett would be huge for us

Flip Empty
03-14-2012, 08:10 AM
The Cowboys tried to retain him though.
Fans are generally clueless - take this board for example.

GMENAGAIN
03-14-2012, 08:13 AM
No offense to Carlson or Shiancoe, but ability-wise Bennett is just a far better option. Hes been behind Witten but the guy is a hell of a blocker and his athleticism is off the charts. Given the opportunity <FONT size=5>he can be closer to Finley and Gronkowski</FONT> then either of those two. And thats what every team in the league is looking for now</P>

Easy there big fella . . . . . let's let him actually do something in the NFL first, huh?</P>

nygsb42champs
03-14-2012, 08:18 AM
At the right price he would be worth it.

Neverend
03-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Close to finley and gronk? Laughable. Bennett is just a slightly more talented version of boss. Great blocker and can grab the football but he lacks any kind of elite speed or quickness and is very average at getting separation because of it. He also has poor hands. He is a No.2 inline blocking TE at best

AceOspadZ4
03-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Yes that is laughable. Thats because i didnt say he would perform "close" to finley or gronk. What i said was he's closer to them athletically than carlson or shiancoe. What i meant is that the prototypical tight end is the finley, gronk, graham type, and out of the three TE's mentioned in the OPs post, i feel Bennett has the most ability. If u dont think he is good then all i can say is we shall see

Neverend
03-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Yes that is laughable. Thats because i didnt say he would perform "close" to finley or gronk. What i said was he's closer to them athletically than carlson or shiancoe. What i meant is that the prototypical tight end is the finley, gronk, graham type, and out of the three TE's mentioned in the OPs post, i feel Bennett has the most ability. If u dont think he is good then all i can say is we shall see

Fine then, my misunderstanding.

ShockeyShow
03-14-2012, 09:13 AM
* If we dont' sign Martellus Bennett, i hope we go after John Carlson.. Hes had crappy QB play, and i think he and Eli would have a great repoire, and* Carlson would be a beast with the giants..* Hes probably gonna go for cheap, becuase his production has been shoddy at best for a couple yrs now, and hes had a few injury issues.. I personally would rather take a shot on John Carlson, because if heatlhy with a good throwing QB, he could be a 50catch 5-7 td* TE for us...

I'd rather have Jacob Tamme over either.

Jacob Tamme is smart as hell and I would love to have a UK boy on the roster, but he is 6'3 235 and Not the best blocker in the world. He can make some plays though, I'll give him that

MattMeyerBud
03-14-2012, 12:14 PM
If we dont' sign Martellus Bennett, i hope we go after John Carlson.. Hes had crappy QB play, and i think he and Eli would have a great repoire, and Carlson would be a beast with the giants.. Hes probably gonna go for cheap, becuase his production has been shoddy at best for a couple yrs now, and hes had a few injury issues.. I personally would rather take a shot on John Carlson, because if heatlhy with a good throwing QB, he could be a 50catch 5-7 td TE for us...

he has ALOT of visits lined up as of yesterday... i don't think we are going to have a chance

I don't let Bennett out of NY without inking a deal if im Reese

MattMeyerBud
03-14-2012, 12:16 PM

they have no problem letting him go because they realize that they aren't going to pay him to be a backup.

They have Witten, they don't need him.

I know some realistic cowboy fans that are pissed hes going in division. They understand that theres no way hes a cowboy, but the ydon't want to see him. Most recognize his skill set and think that in the right place he could be a stud

rxc999
03-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Any update on Bennett??? He was going to visit today.

titwio
03-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Seattle tight end John Carlson decided to cut his trip to Kansas City short and head to Minnesota. He will likely sign with the Vikings on the trip.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/41171/john-carlson-leaves-k-c-for-minnesota

slipknottin
03-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Carlson is so overrated by fans. Hes not very good.

tdawg1413
03-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Bennett is going to be the guy we grab I believe and I would like to see it. First off, he is one of the best blocking TEs in the NFL, which will help our run game dramatically. He has receiving skills as well and all this talk of immaturity is a little overblown. He has been stuck behind one of the best TEs in football for years. There is a reason his playing time has not been what was expected from him. Witten is a beast! I can see Bennett sign here and catch about 45-50 balls next year, which is fine for a TE in our system. That will also free us up in the draft to go with a RB or an OL or just stick with our BPA philosophy. I'm really hoping Bennett gets signed and Carlson not coming here is no real loss IMO.

qndarius3
03-14-2012, 12:53 PM
carlson to vikings 5 yras $25 mil

<div class="inlinedisplayname">AdamSchefter:</div><span id="txt510159148">Vikings reached agreement with former Seahawks tight end John Carslon on a five-year, $25 million deal. <em class="via_twitter">[via Twitter]

Strange considering they just drafted rudolph in the 2nd round???

[/i]</span>

MattMeyerBud
03-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Any update on Bennett??? He was going to visit today.

he got in at 10 pm last night haven't heard anything since

slipknottin
03-14-2012, 12:55 PM

[/i]</span>

Not strange, they run a base 2 TE set. Makes both of them starters.

MattMeyerBud
03-14-2012, 12:56 PM
carlson to vikings 5 yras $25 mil

<div class="inlinedisplayname">AdamSchefter:</div><span id="txt510159148">Vikings reached agreement with former Seahawks tight end John Carslon on a five-year, $25 million deal. <em class="via_twitter">[via Twitter]

[/i]</span>

thats a pretty large deal

GMENAGAIN
03-14-2012, 02:24 PM

[/i]</SPAN> Not strange, they run a base 2 TE set. Makes both of them starters.</P>

Frees up Shiancoe, I guess . . . . . </P>

giantsfan420
03-14-2012, 04:40 PM

just like canty.

the thing with bennett is cowboys fans are saying he never made anything of his time...well when you get one target a game if ur lucky, its hard to make a dent.
and he was their best blocking TE as well. the avg fan, especially the avg cowboy fan can be hard on guys who dont put up monster stats. i bet they had no problems with him when he was blocking for Murray.
Bennett is going to be like any other player and need to be involved and get him going. what player can you throw in there and randomly throw one or two passes a game to and he breaks out? witten is like a 90 reception a year guy, and romo's but buddy...plus the cowboys organization wanted him back so that tells you something.

watch him blow up here, he says he wants to be a 60 reception player, well if he works as hard at that as he does his blocking, i aint got no doubt he'll be a great giant. he has untapped potential out the ***. and from the cowboys MB, some of their fans felt he never stood a chance bc their offense goes through witten to a large degree. even cruz did nothing when we put players in front of him and they werent even that good ie stokely...when cruz got a legitmate shot he ran with it. i expect the same with bennett.

and to the OP, i read a tweet he bought a one way ticket here and both parties want to work with each other. the nyg are bennetts top priority and bennett is the giants top priority, he's gonna be a giant by this afternoon

looks lke he ended up being a giant by this afternoon like i called. so stoked.

nycsportzfan
03-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Cowboy fans have no trouble letting this guy walk.Not 1 I talked 2 said they want to keep him.Most are happy the Giants are going after him because they think it makes the Giants weaker. I hope the Giants dont over pay or have an out clause just in case. I do think there is loads of untapped talent though just like canty. the thing with bennett is cowboys fans are saying he never made anything of his time...well when you get one target a game if ur lucky, its hard to make a dent. and he was their best blocking TE as well. the avg fan, especially the avg cowboy fan can be hard on guys who dont put up monster stats. i bet they had no problems with him when he was blocking for Murray. Bennett is going to be like any other player and need to be involved and get him going. what player can you throw in there and randomly throw one or two passes a game to and he breaks out? witten is like a 90 reception a year guy, and romo's but buddy...plus the cowboys organization wanted him back so that tells you something. watch him blow up here, he says he wants to be a 60 reception player, well if he works as hard at that as he does his blocking, i aint got no doubt he'll be a great giant. he has untapped potential out the ***. and from the cowboys MB, some of their fans felt he never stood a chance bc their offense goes through witten to a large degree. even cruz did nothing when we put players in front of him and they werent even that good ie stokely...when cruz got a legitmate shot he ran with it. i expect the same with bennett. and to the OP, i read a tweet he bought a one way ticket here and both parties want to work with each other. the nyg are bennetts top priority and bennett is the giants top priority, he's gonna be a giant by this afternoon Just like canty? my Uncle and best friend are diehard Cowboys fans, and let me tell u, those 2 were anything but happy we got canty... As far as Bennett, my friend litteraly laughed.. He could care less.. Hopefully, we'll be the last ones laughing, but all i know is if it was the cowboys picking this guy up from us, we'd be ragging on em

nycsportzfan
03-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Carlson is so overrated by fans. Hes not very good. Neither would u, if u played for the seahawks.. Thats where TE's go to die...

giantsfan420
03-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Cowboy fans have no trouble letting this guy walk.Not 1 I talked 2 said they want to keep him.Most are happy the Giants are going after him because they think it makes the Giants weaker. I hope the Giants dont over pay or have an out clause just in case. I do think there is loads of untapped talent though just like canty. the thing with bennett is cowboys fans are saying he never made anything of his time...well when you get one target a game if ur lucky, its hard to make a dent. and he was their best blocking TE as well. the avg fan, especially the avg cowboy fan can be hard on guys who dont put up monster stats. i bet they had no problems with him when he was blocking for Murray. Bennett is going to be like any other player and need to be involved and get him going. what player can you throw in there and randomly throw one or two passes a game to and he breaks out? witten is like a 90 reception a year guy, and romo's but buddy...plus the cowboys organization wanted him back so that tells you something. watch him blow up here, he says he wants to be a 60 reception player, well if he works as hard at that as he does his blocking, i aint got no doubt he'll be a great giant. he has untapped potential out the ***. and from the cowboys MB, some of their fans felt he never stood a chance bc their offense goes through witten to a large degree. even cruz did nothing when we put players in front of him and they werent even that good ie stokely...when cruz got a legitmate shot he ran with it. i expect the same with bennett. and to the OP, i read a tweet he bought a one way ticket here and both parties want to work with each other. the nyg are bennetts top priority and bennett is the giants top priority, he's gonna be a giant by this afternoon Just like canty?* my Uncle and best friend are diehard Cowboys fans, and let me tell u, those 2 were anything but happy we got canty...**** As far as Bennett, my friend litteraly laughed.. He could care less.. Hopefully, we'll be the last ones laughing, but all i know is if it was the cowboys picking this guy up from us, we'd be ragging on em

ok two people you know felt differently than the majority of cowboys fans. this aint up for debate, they were saying the same things about canty and were still trashing himlast season

nycsportzfan
03-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Cowboy fans have no trouble letting this guy walk.Not 1 I talked 2 said they want to keep him.Most are happy the Giants are going after him because they think it makes the Giants weaker. I hope the Giants dont over pay or have an out clause just in case. I do think there is loads of untapped talent though just like canty. the thing with bennett is cowboys fans are saying he never made anything of his time...well when you get one target a game if ur lucky, its hard to make a dent. and he was their best blocking TE as well. the avg fan, especially the avg cowboy fan can be hard on guys who dont put up monster stats. i bet they had no problems with him when he was blocking for Murray. Bennett is going to be like any other player and need to be involved and get him going. what player can you throw in there and randomly throw one or two passes a game to and he breaks out? witten is like a 90 reception a year guy, and romo's but buddy...plus the cowboys organization wanted him back so that tells you something. watch him blow up here, he says he wants to be a 60 reception player, well if he works as hard at that as he does his blocking, i aint got no doubt he'll be a great giant. he has untapped potential out the ***. and from the cowboys MB, some of their fans felt he never stood a chance bc their offense goes through witten to a large degree. even cruz did nothing when we put players in front of him and they werent even that good ie stokely...when cruz got a legitmate shot he ran with it. i expect the same with bennett. and to the OP, i read a tweet he bought a one way ticket here and both parties want to work with each other. the nyg are bennetts top priority and bennett is the giants top priority, he's gonna be a giant by this afternoon Just like canty? my Uncle and best friend are diehard Cowboys fans, and let me tell u, those 2 were anything but happy we got canty... As far as Bennett, my friend litteraly laughed.. He could care less.. Hopefully, we'll be the last ones laughing, but all i know is if it was the cowboys picking this guy up from us, we'd be ragging on em ok two people you know felt differently than the majority of cowboys fans. this aint up for debate, they were saying the same things about canty and were still trashing himlast season What are u talking about? Canty was coming off a big yr for the cowboys when he left, and i didn't see any Cowboys fans happy about losing canty.. Sure, they thought we overpaid some, but all smart cowboys fans, thought they lost a talented player... Bennett is not even in the same breath as Canty anyways.. Canty went above and beyond his draft slot, and Bennett has done nothing but underachieve and to be fair, done absoulutley squat in 4yrs, if not less then squat... Hes been a complete bust to this point...