PDA

View Full Version : Calvin Johnson extension- Bad for us?

jhamburg
03-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Megatron gets record breaking $132 million extension- Doesn't sound good for our chances of signing Nicks and Cruz. You have to imagine we would be committing $175+ million to sign the duo.

ralphpal
03-14-2012, 01:11 PM
WOW its bad for us but you know he isnt getting all that money but WOW

GMenNY21
03-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Ugghh

bLuereverie
03-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Yep, plus factor in that the season Nicks becomes a FA is the season where 2014 revenues kick in, so teams would be more than willing to pay more.

Cruz should be the first to resign though.

GmenFan1980
03-14-2012, 01:16 PM
why would Nicks or Cruz ask for anything even close to what Megatron got?

TheEnigma
03-14-2012, 01:22 PM
I think the Pierre Garcon signing was worse for us personally because I don't think many people expected him to get the contract he did.

Megatron is one of the players thats possess a rare blend of size, speed, and height and actually harnesses his abilities to become the matchup nightmare he is today. He almost had a 1700 yard season and had 16 touchdowns and he's only 26.

Nicks and Cruz are good receivers but haven't reached the levels of what Megatron can do. Nicks mostly due to injuries and Cruz so far has just shown us one year of his work. They'll get paid but if they come in expecting Megatron/Fitzgerald numbers, Reese is going to scoff at that notion because quite frankly, neither of them deserve it yet.

jhamburg
03-14-2012, 01:23 PM
why would Nicks or Cruz ask for anything even close to what Megatron got?

It depends on what you mean by "close". If Nicks asks for $100 mil and Cruz asks for $75, we're still in a world of hurt.

LT_was_good
03-14-2012, 01:39 PM
I would think Nicks and Cruz would ask for/get something closer to Vincent Jackson's deal.

nygsb42champs
03-14-2012, 01:43 PM
We are going to have to give both more money but there is no way they will be in the class of Johnson money.

BigBlue1971
03-14-2012, 01:50 PM
I think the Pierre Garcon signing was worse for us personally because I don't think many people expected him to get the contract he did. Megatron is one of the players thats possess a rare blend of size, speed, and height and actually harnesses his abilities to become the matchup nightmare he is today. He almost had a 1700 yard season and had 16 touchdowns and he's only 26. Nicks and Cruz are good receivers but haven't reached the levels of what Megatron can do. Nicks mostly due to injuries and Cruz so far has just shown us one year of his work. They'll get paid but if they come in expecting Megatron/Fitzgerald numbers, Reese is going to scoff at that notion because quite frankly, neither of them deserve it yet.</P>

</P>

^this!</P>

Garcon is not a #1 receiver but did get a #1 salary from the foreskins!</P>

i think Cruz would probably command Garcon numberswith Nicks in the area of V. Jackson numbers.</P>

Cruz has to be consistent to get paid. if his play is spotty his chances of a big payday are low!</P>

Harooni
03-14-2012, 07:24 PM
We are going to have to give both more money but there is no way they will be in the class of Johnson money.

cruz can put up a 15td 1500 yard season, and then he is going to command big $$$ trust me. hopfully we re-sign him before that.

Diamondring
03-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Yep, plus factor in that the season Nicks becomes a FA is the season where 2014 revenues kick in, so teams would be more than willing to pay more.*

They both need each other so that they wouldn't get too many double teams

gmen46
03-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Megatron gets record breaking $132 million extension- Doesn't sound good for our chances of signing Nicks and Cruz. You have to imagine we would be committing $175+ million to sign the duo.

While this is a breathtaking deal, for a WR especially, there are factors that go into a deal like this that go way beyond his performance on the field, and therefore don't automatically apply to future deals with other elite WRs on other teams, not unlike Fitzgerald's equally breathtaking deal last year.

Both receivers are on teams that, until very recently, have had perennially dreadful franchises.

Both players are--in reality--the face of their respective teams, not the QB as with most quality teams. Even though Stafford, in his 3rd season (and first in a 16 games season) has shown signs of being an "elite" QB, it may be argued from the point of view of Lions ownership that Calvin means more--right now--to the team than does Stafford.

It COULD be argued, as well, that Stafford needs Calvin more than Calvin needs Stafford to succeed on an annual basis. After all, Johnson has already proven he is elite at his position with a few different QBs. Stafford has not proven the reverse.

Just some thoughts, to help us not get TOO panicky about Nicks and Cruz's future contract negotiations. It is getting crazy out there, but most other receivers (and more importantly, their agents) will ultimately understand that most of even the other "elite" WRs won't be worth Calvin or Larry contracts.

bLuereverie
03-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Yep, plus factor in that the season Nicks becomes a FA is the season where 2014 revenues kick in, so teams would be more than willing to pay more.

They both need each other so that they wouldn't get too many double teams

I'm not saying one should sign and one shouldn't. I'm saying Cruz should be resigned first as Nicks will obviously command the larger contract, therefore will be a more direct reference to use in negotiations with Cruz in the event he is second to sign.

burier
03-15-2012, 12:04 PM
So Megatrons deal doesn't effect us right now.

When negotiation time comes up it will effect the deal with Nicks.

By the time Cruz is ready to get his big pay day some other reciever will have set an even higher bar.

Who started this thing where everyone gets nervous about deals for players not even on our team?

Good way to drive yourself crazy.

sg92
03-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Receivers are getting eye-popping deals right now.

Desean Jackson just signed a 5 year, $51 million deal, after a sub 1000 yard season, with 4 TD's. (And Garcon's best season ever was 960 yards and 6 TD's, with the best QB in the game throwing to him.)

So, basically, top 25ish receivers are $8-$10mm per year, top of the list is $16.5 mm.

I've got to believe that, if Cruz and Nicks replicate their stats from last season, their market value will be $12-$14mm.

Moms and Dads -- teach your kids to be WR's. Ray Rice is franchise tendered, and he only will get $7.4mm. ("only")

CDN_G-FAN
03-15-2012, 12:55 PM
what this means is, our ability to keep both Cruz and Nicks long term is in question.</P>

Cruz and Nicks market value will be determined by what they can get if they hit FA, not wheter we think they're worth it or not.</P>

i'd take Cruz over Garcon 10 times out of 10.</P>

both Megatron and Garcon are getting over $10 million a season.</P>

i don't see how we can spend $20 million a season for our two starting WRs, and whats worse is i don't see how they're market value isn't worth that right now.</P>

so yeah, these huge WR deals are bad for us.</P>