PDA

View Full Version : Martellus Bennett officialy a New York Giant

dayeh33
03-14-2012, 03:45 PM
<s>#</s>Giants (https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23Giants) sign Martellus Bennett RT <s>@</s>MartellusB (https://twitter.com/#%21/MartellusB): I'm officially a New York Giant!!

@AdamSchefter- Former Cowboys TE Martellus Bennett's deal with the New York Giants: 1 year, $2.5 million.

Low risk, high reward signing... i like it

Juanito
03-14-2012, 03:46 PM
That'll do.

rxc999
03-14-2012, 03:46 PM
That's awesome!!!!. Hope this pans out in next couple of years. Go BIG BLUE!!

jhamburg
03-14-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm OK with those numbers. Sounds good.

TheEnigma
03-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Hope he's ready to see more targets now that he doesn't have Witten in front of him. Good luck kid.

BlueJayC
03-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Take a piece of stinky rotted cheese and put it in the middle of a fresh gourmet sandwich......will spoil the whole thing.......same principle applies here......</P>

I hope I'm eating a Crow sandwich in September.</P>

Getting "Hahaha suckers..." texts from my friends who are Cowboy fans.</P>

titwio
03-14-2012, 03:50 PM
That's really a good deal...Solid job Jerry!

I Bleed Blue 56
I love it cuz he can block. Watch him do what carlos rodgers did with a different team. Cowboys fans are happy watch him have 2 tds vs them.

rxc999
ok. It's only a 1 yr deal..Ok with it. see how it goes this season.

Desepx
03-14-2012, 03:52 PM
very excited =]

BlueJayC
03-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Latest text from Cowboy fan:
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="COLOR: #1f497d"><FONT face=Calibri></FONT></SPAN></P>
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="COLOR: #1f497d"><FONT face=Calibri>"Take that cancer giants!!!"<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></FONT></SPAN></P>

Juanito
03-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Take a piece of stinky rotted cheese and put it in the middle of a fresh gourmet sandwich......will spoil the whole thing.......same principle applies here......</p>

I hope I'm eating a Crow sandwich in September.</p>

Getting "Hahaha suckers..." texts from my friends who are Cowboy fans.</p>
Thats stupid fans for you. Hes a great player until he leaves their team.

titwio
03-14-2012, 03:55 PM
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="COLOR: #1f497d"><FONT face=Calibri></FONT></SPAN>*</P>
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="COLOR: #1f497d"><FONT face=Calibri>"Take that cancer giants!!!"<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></FONT></SPAN></P>

The Giants can mold Cancer into a nice non-malignant tumor :)

For 1 year that is...

Shockdisnation03
YAY !!!

Pakman
With Eli...dude will be a very good TE in my opinion.

C1010
03-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Im thrilled, everybody is saying if you give him a disciplined system, he will flourish. I hope thats the case.

Neverend
Thank the Lord GOD, that it is just a 1-year deal.

buddy33
Ok. So now how does the draft play out? I still think Reese goes BPA even if it's a TE.

TrueBlue@NYC
03-14-2012, 03:57 PM
It's a good value signing. Not alot of risk from the teams' perspective and you get someone that can in the very least hold the line in blocking. </P>

Cowboys fans hated him b/c they somehow expected their back-up TE to catch 70+ balls a year meanwhile their offense isn't built to do that at all. </P>

He'll meet our needs so long as he blocks well and keeps teams honest defending the middle of the field and the seams. </P>

cornerback30
03-14-2012, 03:57 PM
cudos for being the first to break it,I was waiting for something outta him either yeah or nay.With this being a 1 yr deal I can see reese still taking a TE in the first,or waiting for Egnew in the later rounds.Can give Egnew a yr to develope and then let him take off once Bennett is outta the way.

B-Red22
03-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Hate the pick up,I live in dallas now and i can tell you he has been driving Cowgirl fans nuts because he is a freak athlete but is just a knucklehead that wont put all his talent to use.Only way this pick up works out is if Coughlin can smack some sense into him.

Ntegrase96
03-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Take a piece of stinky rotted cheese and put it in the middle of a fresh gourmet sandwich......will spoil the whole thing.......same principle applies here......</p>

I hope I'm eating a Crow sandwich in September.</p>

Getting "Hahaha suckers..." texts from my friends who are Cowboy fans.</p>
Thats stupid fans for you. Hes a great player until he leaves their team.

Nope. We loved him in 2008 and the preseason following. He had all the potential in the world, but has been a royal disappointment who was seemingly interested in too many other things outside of football.

Those of you saying 'he was playing behind Witten' don't seem to realize that also means that Bennett had an amazing influence on the way he should approach the game and someone to learn from, yet he regressed year after year. He had his opportunities, he just never made anything of them, and when you threw the ball his way, it seemed that a quarter of the time, it meant something bad was going to happen. He was by far the least reliable receiver on the Dallas Cowboys and was outperformed by the third TE behind him (before Phillips had his ACL injury). Fact is, the Dallas offense is very tight end friendly and pretty simple. Bennett failed in this system.

He's not a thug or bad person. He's just lazy and it seems like the guy doesn't get it.

Not a bad signing I'd say for the Giants. When players with potential are signed to a 'prove it' contract, it's always a good move, IMO. Maybe he'll get his act together.

titwio
03-14-2012, 04:08 PM
The Giants have the best TE coach in the biz...Look what he's done with guys like Boss, Ballard and Pascoe...

If anyone can bring it out of Bennett it's Mike Pope. And if he can't then the Giants only have a him for 1 year. It's a solid deal. If he pans out then they can extend him.

Ntegrase96
03-14-2012, 04:12 PM
</p>

Cowboys fans hated him b/c they somehow expected their back-up TE to catch 70+ balls a year meanwhile their offense isn't built to do that at all. </p>

</p>

No. We disliked him because he didn't seem to take the game, and improving his play, very seriously.

I had lofty expectations for him in the beginning. Some of you may remember when my sig looked like this..

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff136/Ntegrase96/Besttightendsss.jpg

But he didn't even handle the small tasks given to him well.

I wish him luck and I think he has potential, but he didn't belong here and I'm thinking his potential will never come to fruition.

MikeIsaGiant
03-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Watch him be a fan favorite by the 4th game

titwio
03-14-2012, 04:15 PM
</p>

Cowboys fans hated him b/c they somehow expected their back-up TE to catch 70+ balls a year meanwhile their offense isn't built to do that at all. </p>

</p>

No. We disliked him because he didn't seem to take the game, and improving his play, very seriously.

I had lofty expectations for him in the beginning. Some of you may remember when my sig looked like this..

I wish him luck and I think he has potential, but he didn't belong here and I'm thinking his potential will never come to fruition.

I like the tight end in the middle the best.

nygsb42champs
03-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Welcome to New York!

TheEnigma
03-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Watch him be a fan favorite by the 4th gameEither that or fan scapegoat. He could go either way.

netplus
03-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Great run blocker. Running game is significantly improved. If he catches 30 balls it will be a bonus.

BlueJayC
03-14-2012, 04:18 PM
<FONT color=#ff0000 size=4>Cruz must be ecstatic! Signed a back up TE for over 5 times what the league's 3rd leading receiver is making.</FONT>

Ntegrase96
03-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Great run blocker. Running game is significantly improved. If he catches 30 balls it will be a bonus.

Absolutely. This is how signing Bennett should be looked at.

Neverend
03-14-2012, 04:24 PM

Agree too. This guy will never, ever put up the stats or make the plays a jimmy graham or gronk can because he is nowhere near that talent.

But im worried. Dont want the giants to think this guy can be their no.1 TE and dont draft one this year. i think bennett is best served as a run blocking TE who you occassionally use underneath and up the seam. Not a guy who you want to be an all-around, versatile split out wide kind of weapon.

giantsfan420
03-14-2012, 04:25 PM
bennett's going to kill it. cowboys fans can tell themselves whatever they want. all i know, this guy is an athletic, physical freak. romo isn't near the qb eli is, eli will help make bennett an all pro, especially with coach pope.

the 1 yr deal will also ensure he works his *** off to earn a bigger deal. and it also makes it even more likely fleener is drafted imho.

cowboys fans can say he never made a dent, but being behind witten, he worked his butt off to become one of the best blocking te's in the league. like the one area he could showcase himself, he becomes the best at.

and what nfl player is going to be a star when you get 1 or 2 passes a game if your lucky? they need to be involved early and kept in the flow of the game, that was bennetts biggest issue with dallas imo. the cowboys ran their offense thru witten, and witten was romos butt buddy...how any cowboys fan could expect bennett to be some witten type te with a target a game just proves how incredibly moronic they are.

prediction: Bennett makes the probowl as a TE next season, and GOES OFF vs dallas

GMENAGAIN
03-14-2012, 04:25 PM
<S>#</S>Giants (https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23Giants) sign Martellus Bennett RT <S>@</S>MartellusB (https://twitter.com/#%21/MartellusB): I'm officially a New York Giant!!

@AdamSchefter- Former Cowboys TE Martellus Bennett's deal with the New York Giants: 1 year, $2.5 million.

</P>

Compare that with Carlson's 5 year, $25M deal . . . . </P>

I'm not crazy about the player, but JR once again made a low risk, high reward move. </P>

Neverend
03-14-2012, 04:26 PM
the 1 yr deal will also ensure he works his *** off to earn a bigger deal. and it also makes it even more likely fleener is drafted imho.

Hopefully you're right on the fleener front.

BlueJayC
03-14-2012, 04:26 PM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/jasonjcollins/MBSigning.jpg

bearbryant
03-14-2012, 04:32 PM
This is the type of signing that helped get us over the hump in 07 to win a Super Bowl. Guys who fill a role for a reasonable price not a 40MM FA rip! Nice pick up, JR</P>

I think his pass catching skills may surprise some when he gets here. But I'll preface it all by agreeing that a Gronk... he's not, but he can catch a ball, now.</P>

titwio
03-14-2012, 04:34 PM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/jasonjcollins/MBSigning.jpg

That's a happy man. I make the same face when I receive my pay check from crap job.

NewYorkSwagg
03-14-2012, 04:36 PM
There go our T.E I love the signing go Giants, now that is complete all we need is a O.T with good value or first round draft pick.

TrueBlue@NYC
03-14-2012, 04:37 PM
</P>

Cowboys fans hated him b/c they somehow expected their back-up TE to catch 70+ balls a year meanwhile their offense isn't built to do that at all. </P>

</P>

</P>

What did he do that gave you this impression? </P>

And your former sig even supports my position. The back-up TE is at best the 4th option on your offense with Witten, Austin, Bryant and Robinson. I just think you guys (maybe not you specifically) had unrealistic expectations of what kind of production you should get from your 2nd TE. </P>

repeatchamps
03-14-2012, 04:38 PM
bennett's going to kill it. cowboys fans can tell themselves whatever they want. all i know, this guy is an athletic, physical freak. romo isn't near the qb eli is, eli will help make bennett an all pro, especially with coach pope. the 1 yr deal will also ensure he works his *** off to earn a bigger deal. and it also makes it even more likely fleener is drafted imho. cowboys fans can say he never made a dent, but being behind witten, he worked his butt off to become one of the best blocking te's in the league. like the one area he could showcase himself, he becomes the best at. and what nfl player is going to be a star when you get 1 or 2 passes a game if your lucky? they need to be involved early and kept in the flow of the game, that was bennetts biggest issue with dallas imo. the cowboys ran their offense thru witten, and witten was romos butt buddy...how any cowboys fan could expect bennett to be some witten type te with a target a game just proves how incredibly moronic they are. prediction: Bennett makes the probowl as a TE next season, and GOES OFF vs dallas</P>

Excellent post, I agree 100% with everything you said. Even if they don't draft another TE, they will get Ballard back eventually and Pascoe is also going to be back. They have plenty of options.</P>

Ntegrase96
03-14-2012, 04:49 PM
</p>

</p>

</p>

What did he do that gave you this impression? </p>

And your former sig even supports my position. The back-up TE is at best the 4th option on your offense with Witten, Austin, Bryant and Robinson. I just think you guys (maybe not you specifically) had unrealistic expectations of what kind of production you should get from your 2nd TE. </p>

He was very athletic and seemingly had a knack for making plays. He made the most of his opportunities in 2008. There was even a post on this site on the anatomy of one of his Touchdowns. Romo trusted him the most out of the 4 receiving options and cashed in big-- the other options were Terrell Owens (single covered), Roy Williams, and Jason Witten: by the way that right there should illustrate that Romo didn't play favorites while Bennett was here.

I made that sig in the preseason of 2009.

Then, in 2009, it just seems like the guy lost a step, got stiffer in the hips, wasn't as fluid in motion, had a poorer attitude, and lost that ability to make plays. And as I've stated, his clunky hand seemed to cause more opportunities for the opposing teams than it did for the Cowboys. The only area he improved in was run blocking, but at the TE position that doesn't really mean much. I should add he's not a particularly great pass blocker-- not bad, but not great.

The guy had/has potential, but he was more interested in being a character than a football player. Seriously, googling Martellus Bennett will yield more YouTube antics than highlights. And now that he's in the biggest market in the US, I don't see that changing.

Ntegrase96
03-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Want to add that although I'm down on Bennett, it's not impossible for him to turn it around, although I do believe some people think his talents are more than what they are. He has the ability to be a solid number 1.

The Giants FO handled signing him perfectly with a 'prove it' contract.

BlueJayC
03-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Another text from a Cowboy fan:</P>

"<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Be ready for a season where he make 3-4 unbelievable catches, 10 drops, 4 totally wrong routes, 1 moronic "Marty B" youtube video, and consistent blocking every game"</SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Marty B Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lP8fHN53t0</SPAN></P>

TrueBlue@NYC
03-14-2012, 05:01 PM
</P>

</P>

</P>

What did he do that gave you this impression? </P>

And your former sig even supports my position. The back-up TE is at best the 4th option on your offense with Witten, Austin, Bryant and Robinson. I just think you guys (maybe not you specifically) had unrealistic expectations of what kind of production you should get from your 2nd TE. </P>

He was very athletic and seemingly had a knack for making plays. He made the most of his opportunities in 2008. There was even a post on this site on the anatomy of one of his Touchdowns. Romo trusted him the most out of the 4 receiving options and cashed in big-- the other options were Terrell Owens (single covered), Roy Williams, and Jason Witten: by the way that right there should illustrate that Romo didn't play favorites while Bennett was here.

Then, in 2009, it just seems like the guy lost a step, got stiffer in the hips, wasn't as fluid in motion, had a poorer attitude, and lost that ability to make plays. And as I've stated, his clunky hand seemed to cause more opportunities for the opposing teams than it did for the Cowboys. The only area he improved in was run blocking, but at the TE position that doesn't really mean much. I should add he's not a particularly great pass blocker-- not bad, but not great.

The guy had/has potential, but he was more interested in being a character than a football player. Seriously, googling Martellus Bennett will yield more YouTube antics than highlights. And now that he's in the biggest market in the US, I don't see that changing.
</P>

Being a good run blocker isn't important to the TE position? Dude, ur nuts. We have a 3rd round pick at TE on our roster than we don't even use at the position b/c he's a bad blocker. </P>

For most teams, especially teams that have good options at receiver (unless your not high on Austin, Bryant or Robinson) the 2nd TE's FIRST JOB is to be a good blocker, receiver is 2nd. </P>

And you should ask TO if Romo doesn't play favorites with his tagets. LOL. </P>

</P>

GMENAGAIN
03-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Listen, let's get real here . . . . if the guy didn't have issues, there is no way that we could have signed him to a 1 year $2.5M deal.</P>

That being said, I think that his possible upside makesit worth the very small risk contract that we gave him . . . . . but let's not be silly and argue that he is a superstar that was mis-used by Dallas. Sounds like the same thing that many posters used to say about Sinorice Moss . . . . . </P>

gmen46
03-14-2012, 05:24 PM
</p>

</p>

</p>

What did he do that gave you this impression? </p>

And your former sig even supports my position. The back-up TE is at best the 4th option on your offense with Witten, Austin, Bryant and Robinson. I just think you guys (maybe not you specifically) had unrealistic expectations of what kind of production you should get from your 2nd TE. </p>

I pretty much saw his demise the way you put it, although as an avid Cowboys fan you include more insight than any Giants fan would be expected to have.

I'm hopeful he will produce somewhere between what you guys saw his rookie year and where he ended his Cowboys career. Could be the best we can hope for.

But if he does that, and shows he can receive 2-3 key receptions a game--the success we've had with our last 2 TEs has been in reduced roles, but making important catches in crtical situations--then he will prove the worth of his 1 year deal with us.

I believe this is merely a signing to bridge the front part of the 2012 season, until Ballard can show if he's capable of returning to his 2011 level from the PUP list or not, as well as to allow some room to determine if a possible 2012 TE draft pick and/or our practice squad TE (ala Ballard last year) will develop into our permanent TE.

This smells like a similar type of deal when we signed Kiwika Mithchell for 1 year in 2007, and to a lesser degree when we signed Deon Grant for a 1 year deal in 2010.

If we get a similar kind of production from Bennett at his position, it will have been a good signing for the Giants.

jjj45
03-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Nope. We loved him in 2008 and the preseason following. He had all the potential in the world, but has been a royal disappointment who was seemingly interested in too many other things outside of football.

Those of you saying 'he was playing behind Witten' don't seem to realize that also means that Bennett had an amazing influence on the way he should approach the game and someone to learn from, yet he regressed year after year. He had his opportunities, he just never made anything of them, and when you threw the ball his way, it seemed that a quarter of the time, it meant something bad was going to happen. He was by far the least reliable receiver on the Dallas Cowboys and was outperformed by the third TE behind him (before Phillips had his ACL injury). Fact is, the Dallas offense is very tight end friendly and pretty simple. Bennett failed in this system.

He's not a thug or bad person. He's just lazy and it seems like the guy doesn't get it.

Not a bad signing I'd say for the Giants. When players with potential are signed to a 'prove it' contract, it's always a good move, IMO. Maybe he'll get his act together.

Best post in the entire thread. You hit the nail on the head Nt.

miked1958
03-14-2012, 05:35 PM
I know Bennett played in the 2 games against us this season. I think he may have caught a pass or 2. However going onto YouTube I could not find to much on him. Had a highlight of him scoring a TD vs Seahawks in 08. </P>

Anyone know how he did overall vs the Giants in his 4yrs</P>

netplus
03-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Jake Ballard wasn't known for receiving at Ohio State catching a total of 34 passes in 4 years. His first year here 38 receptions. Eli + Pope = TE surprise. Plus our run game gets better and the Dallas run game gets worse. Great deal for a one year show me contract.

TuckYou
03-14-2012, 07:02 PM
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="COLOR: #1f497d"><FONT face=Calibri></FONT></SPAN></P>

</P>

Last time we took a cancer (Plax) we won a SB. Its a 1 year deal anyway. He will be trying his hardest this year to make big money next. I like the deal a lot. Plus, he is going to be amped to play the cowgirls.</P>

DragonSoul
03-14-2012, 07:07 PM
<s>#</s>Giants (https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23Giants) sign Martellus Bennett RT <s>@</s>MartellusB (https://twitter.com/#%21/MartellusB): I'm officially a New York Giant!!

I guess he saw Canty got the gold, so he probably figured he should jump ship too lol.

Firenugget
03-14-2012, 07:19 PM
I know Bennett played in the 2 games against us this season. I think he may have caught a pass or 2. However going onto YouTube I could not find to much on him. Had a highlight of him scoring a TD vs Seahawks in 08. </p>

Anyone know how he did overall vs the Giants in his 4yrs</p>

That offense is designed to get the ball to Witten as far as the TE's go. So that doesn't concern me much. If they felt they should grab him and did so pretty quickly, I have to believe we know something about him that the Cowpies don't. I trust our FO enough to be happy about it until he proves them wrong.

JPP
03-14-2012, 07:37 PM

I agree Plus worst case scenario Ballard comes back mid way through the season, isn't his injury only till mid way anyways.

Ntegrase96
03-14-2012, 08:43 PM
I know Bennett played in the 2 games against us this season. I think he may have caught a pass or 2. However going onto YouTube I could not find to much on him. Had a highlight of him scoring a TD vs Seahawks in 08. </p>

2011: 1 catch for 5 yards
2010: 2 catches 37 yards
2009: 3 catches 31 yards
2008: 4 catches 44 yards

Not exactly a Giant killer.

Ntegrase96
03-14-2012, 08:51 PM

That offense is designed to get the ball to Witten as far as the TE's go. So that doesn't concern me much. If they felt they should grab him and did so pretty quickly, I have to believe we know something about him that the Cowpies don't. I trust our FO enough to be happy about it until he proves them wrong.

The Giants know more about Martellus Bennett than the team that drafted him and put up with him for 4 years during 50-60 hour work weeks...?

He's a good fit. Like Coughlin said, you guys had a need and you filled it with a low risk high reward contract for a guy that has potential so it was a pretty damn good signing.

G.I. Ants
03-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Great pick up. I really was hoping we landed this guy and I am glad we picked him up.

giantyankee1976
03-14-2012, 09:18 PM
<p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal"><span style="COLOR: #1f497d"><font face="Calibri"></font></span></p>
<p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal"><span style="COLOR: #1f497d"><font face="Calibri">"Take that cancer giants!!!"<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>

yeah, but that's from a Cowboys fan.

they felt the same way about Canty.

Giantstealth
03-14-2012, 09:25 PM
The Giants have the best TE coach in the biz...Look what he's done with guys like Boss, Ballard and Pascoe...

If anyone can bring it out of Bennett it's Mike Pope. And if he can't then the Giants only have a him for 1 year. It's a solid deal. If he pans out then they can extend him.

Not only that but they're only paying him 2.5 mil so if he becomes any sort of a problem they can let him go with min loss.

BigBlue1971
03-14-2012, 09:37 PM
<S>#</S>Giants (https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23Giants) sign Martellus Bennett RT <S>@</S>MartellusB (https://twitter.com/#%21/MartellusB): I'm officially a New York Giant!!

</P>

</P>

this is a good chance for Bennett to show up and probably bethe #1 tight end. hopefully he can stay for 3-4 years and be effective!</P>

the contract is great! my trust is in JR!</P>

Dirt66
03-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Like this a lot.Welcome to the Super Bowl Champion New York Giants!!!

DragonSoul
03-14-2012, 09:47 PM

Per our discussion in The smack talk thread.

If Bennett has career numbers with us, then it must be on Eli correct? Since you just posted his abysmal numbers with your team. Or if he does play well w/us, will you then revert back to Bennett was a stud & Eli had nothing to do w/it lol? ;-D

netplus
03-14-2012, 10:21 PM
I just looked at his stats for last year.

Bennett: 428 snaps, 24 passes, 17 catches (71%), 2 drops.

Ballard: 795 snaps, 57 passes, 38 catches (67%), 5 drops

Given more opportunities, he should produce as good as Ballard did last year. And he is a better run blocker.

DaKraken
03-14-2012, 10:59 PM
Yessssssss!

Great signing at a nice price. Fills a gaping hole and takes all pressure off having to find a TE in the draft.

Let the guy go out and prove he's worth bigger bucks and a long-term deal. Love the Reese plan of targeting super motivated players at good cap prices...Bennett, T2, etc etc

In Reese We Trust!

JJC7301
03-14-2012, 11:34 PM
It'll be interesting to see all of the NFL mock drafts once they're updated -- at least the ones that had us taking Fleener or that other TE (brain farted on his name, sorry).

ShockeyShow
03-14-2012, 11:35 PM
Watch him be a fan favorite by the 4th game

Yup

Ntegrase96
03-15-2012, 09:48 AM
<p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="color: rgb(31, 73, 125);"><font face="Calibri"></font></span></p>
<p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="color: rgb(31, 73, 125);"><font face="Calibri">"Take that cancer giants!!!"<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>

yeah, but that's from a Cowboys fan.

they felt the same way about Canty.

Hey man, I still feel the same way about Canty. I think with the DEs you guys have that a lot of other guys could have been plugged in at the DT position for less money-- Especially this year with that absolute Monster you guys have in JPP. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Canty's sack totals this year in direct correlation to the help he got from JPP? His sack numbers went up toward the end of the season when JPP began to play on his side-- or am I getting that wrong?

But I mean it worked for you guys last year so I suppose it was the right move? (Can any move be a wrong move if your team won the superbowl?)

It's a little different with Canty and Bennett though, I'd say. I wouldn't have minded keeping Canty on board, he wasn't a bad DE. I just never thought he was worth $42 million. He just wasn't that kind of impact player.

And I don't think Bennett's going to hurt your team. I would just dial down the lofty expectations that some have here.

Ntegrase96
03-15-2012, 09:50 AM

Given more opportunities, he should produce as good as Ballard did last year. And he is a better run blocker.

Hey good find man. I was looking for something like that. Do you have something that accounts for how many passes toward Bennett resulted in interceptions? I know for sure one of those 'drops' did, with the Asomugha interception in the first meeting between PHI and DAL last year.

But yeah, he's not going to make you worse at the TE position. Although I like Ballard more than I do Bennett.

Ntegrase96
03-15-2012, 09:58 AM

If Bennett has career numbers with us, then it must be on Eli correct? Since you just posted his abysmal numbers with your team. Or if he does play well w/us, will you then revert back to Bennett was a stud &amp; Eli had nothing to do w/it lol? ;-D

I suppose. Or maybe the system? One thing Eli does is he trusts his receivers a bit more despite them 'burning' him occasionally. Say if he throws to Bennett and 2 of the first 10 passes to Bennett end up as INTs instead, Eli probably won't shy away from trusting Bennett. That's where I think the biggest difference will be.

Eli's a better QB, but I'm not sure if that's the reason Bennett could succeed as a Giant where he failed as a Cowboy.

If he succeeds, then I'll give him props for maturing. But how would you define 'succeeding'?

DragonSoul
03-15-2012, 03:38 PM

If Bennett has career numbers with us, then it must be on Eli correct? Since you just posted his abysmal numbers with your team. Or if he does play well w/us, will you then revert back to Bennett was a stud & Eli had nothing to do w/it lol? ;-D

I suppose. Or maybe the system? One thing Eli does is he trusts his receivers a bit more despite them 'burning' him occasionally. Say if he throws to Bennett and 2 of the first 10 passes to Bennett end up as INTs instead, Eli probably won't shy away from trusting Bennett. That's where I think the biggest difference will be.

Eli's a better QB, but I'm not sure if that's the reason Bennett could succeed as a Giant where he failed as a Cowboy.

If he succeeds, then I'll give him props for maturing. But how would you define 'succeeding'?
#s. I can get you my Bennett's Predictions if you want, as I have done with Eli the last couple years :)

buffyblue
03-15-2012, 04:08 PM
I really like this signing. Low risk high reward potential for a big physical TE that is a really good run blocker and the way Eli Manning sticks with recievers through their mistakes, we may even get 30-40 catches out of hime this year with some of those being big ones.

I think Jerry Reese did a good job in addressing out concerns at TE with this signing. I am not expecting Martellus Bennett to conquor the world but I do think that we wil get more out of him than Dallas cowboys did because of Eli Manning as well as Martellus Bennet being a lot more motivated to play on NY Giants as oppossed to Dallas Cowboys.

NYGRealityCheck
03-15-2012, 06:20 PM
A big and young tight end that can block at $2.5 mil for one year. I'm fine with the price tag as well. Welcome aboard!

gmen0820
03-15-2012, 06:25 PM

Hey good find man. I was looking for something like that. Do you have something that accounts for how many passes toward Bennett resulted in interceptions? I know for sure one of those 'drops' did, with the Asomugha interception in the first meeting between PHI and DAL last year.

But yeah, he's not going to make you worse at the TE position. Although I like Ballard more than I do Bennett.
2 total drops last year, and two INITs his way.

Nothing specific on if the INTs were a result of both drops, but you say you know one of them was.

Ntegrase96
03-15-2012, 06:32 PM
#s. I can get you my Bennett's Predictions if you want, as I have done with Eli the last couple years :)

Sure that sounds fine. Or I could tell you what I predict from him.

45-50 catches, 550-675 yards 4 touchdowns.

Ntegrase96
03-15-2012, 06:37 PM

2 total drops last year, and two INITs his way.

Nothing specific on if the INTs were a result of both drops, but you say you know one of them was.

Yeah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSydP_7XEe8

And the other one I remember. It wasn't a drop, but Bennett looked clueless out there. So only the two? Must have been some more close calls that I can't remember. I know every time the ball was going to Bennett, or if he had it in his hands I'd cringe a bit.