PDA

View Full Version : Winston leaves Miami unsigned

netplus
03-14-2012, 11:27 PM
"Free agent RT Eric Winston left the Dolphins facility without an agreement Wednesday night.
Discussions with the Dolphins will continue, but he's moving on to his scheduled visits with the Ravens, Rams, Chiefs, and Lions. Winston made it clear Wednesday that joining a winning team is high on his list of priorities. "

Uh, the Giants need an OT and are a winning team...

tucksackstom
03-14-2012, 11:28 PM
"Free agent RT Eric Winston left the Dolphins facility without an agreement Wednesday night.
Discussions with the Dolphins will continue, but he's moving on to his scheduled visits with the Ravens, Rams, Chiefs, and Lions. Winston made it clear Wednesday that joining a winning team is high on his list of priorities. "

with what money

netplus
03-14-2012, 11:33 PM
Manning, Baas, Diehl restructured, Jacobs cut.

Bigbluefan1974
03-14-2012, 11:53 PM

Really dude? You can't be this dumb. Can you?

G-Men Surg.
03-14-2012, 11:56 PM

Really dude?* You can't be this dumb.* Can you?

Take it easy bro, its just a nice thought but yea its practically impossible at this point landing him.

tucksackstom
03-15-2012, 12:02 AM

t2,bennett, a few other guys got some money, still need for the draft as well

netplus
03-15-2012, 12:09 AM

Wow, thanks for the insult. How old are you, 12? If you know how much cap space is left, why don't you quote the amount?

Spizi
03-15-2012, 12:13 AM

Wow, thanks for the insult. How old are you, 12? If you know how much cap space is left, why don't you quote the amount?

We can't even resign manningham or ross. how are we supposed to sign one of the best RTs in the game?? He doesn't need to quote the amount because it's obvious that it is minuscule.

netplus
03-15-2012, 12:16 AM
How do you know we can't resign these players? You don't, and don't pretend you do.

FBomb
03-15-2012, 12:24 AM
How do you know we can't resign these players? You don't, and don't pretend you do.</P>

Wow!</P>

I agree that the insult was uncalled for at that time.....but dude? There are literally 100's of articles out there describing in detail what our cap situation is, who we can't afford, who is not being resigned, who has restructured...etc etc ec.....</P>

It's safe to say that those of us who can read KNOW we can't resign these players. Sticking your head in the sand because you don't want to believe it doesn't mean it isn't true.</P>

Spizi
03-15-2012, 12:27 AM
How do you know we can't resign these players? You don't, and don't pretend you do.

Because I follow the NFL and the cap situation of the Giants. Therefore I know that we were over the cap by a bunch, restructured and released some players, and now we are only a couple million under. This means that we can't sign ross, manningham, or any other expensive free agent. We are making just enough room to sign some of the draft picks in April.

Spizi
03-15-2012, 12:27 AM

Because I follow the NFL and the cap situation of the Giants. Therefore I know that we were over the cap by a bunch, restructured and released some players, and now we are only a couple million under. This means that we can't sign ross, manningham, or any other expensive free agent. We are making just enough room to sign some of the draft picks in April.

netplus
03-15-2012, 12:30 AM

Post a link with our updated cap space. I would love to read it.

giantman8493
03-15-2012, 12:35 AM

Post a link with our updated cap space. I would love to read it.last i heard we were 2 or 3 under, but thats before the bennet signing and im not sure if it was before deihl restrucuting or not. but we are in that ball park. just so you have an idea.

netplus
03-15-2012, 12:45 AM
The Manning, Baas, and Diehl restructures plus the Jacobs cut created 14.7 million in cap space for this year (published). I just find it funny people make insults and blanket statements based on assumptions, when the fact is they really don't know.

Spizi
03-15-2012, 12:47 AM
The Manning, Baas, and Diehl restructures plus the Jacobs cut created 14.7 million in cap space for this year (published). I just find it funny people make insults and blanket statements based on assumptions, when the fact is they really don't know.

well I didn't insult you but we definitely do not have 14.7 million in cap space. ill find a link for you

giantman8493
03-15-2012, 12:48 AM
The Manning, Baas, and Diehl restructures plus the Jacobs cut created 14.7 million in cap space for this year (published). I just find it funny people make insults and blanket statements based on assumptions, when the fact is they really don't know.Published from where? fake news.net?

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2012/03/giants-dont-have-much-cap-room-to-maneuver

Ny daily news says about 1.2 mil under.

Spizi
03-15-2012, 12:55 AM
The Manning, Baas, and Diehl restructures plus the Jacobs cut created 14.7 million in cap space for this year (published). I just find it funny people make insults and blanket statements based on assumptions, when the fact is they really don't know.Published from where? fake news.net?

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2012/03/giants-dont-have-much-cap-room-to-maneuver

fakenews.net lmao! but yea we're somewhere around 1-3 million under and a guy like winston would be asking upwards of 4 mil a year

netplus
03-15-2012, 12:56 AM

Dude, why the negative attitude?

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-03-08/news/31137779_1_salary-cap-brandon-jacobs-giants-next-year

http://www.giants101.com/2012/03/14/new-york-giants-david-baas-david-diehl-restructure-contracts/

Add it up, 14.7 million. They had been estimated to be anywhere from $2 million-$9 million over, and that was before they re-signed WR Domenik Hixon (one year, $615,000) and placed the franchise tag on punter Steve Weatherford (one year, approximately $2.6 million). No one really knows how much we were over.

giantman8493
03-15-2012, 01:02 AM

Dude, why the negative attitude?

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-03-08/news/31137779_1_salary-cap-brandon-jacobs-giants-next-year

http://www.giants101.com/2012/03/14/new-york-giants-david-baas-david-diehl-restructure-contracts/because your sayin find me a link ! and then you just say that this was published without citing anything.

I looked at those links and I didn't see anything that said 14.7 mil under the cap, unless i missed it.

Its tough to explain the cap but you can't just subtract their numbers and get our cap space. I don't really get it but we were way over before the restructering even began.

netplus
03-15-2012, 01:04 AM
I don't pretend to know our cap space. But the three restructures and Jacobs cut created 14.7 million in cap space. That doesn't mean we are 14.7 million under the cap.

myles2424
03-15-2012, 01:06 AM
Fight!! Fight!! Fight!! Fight!!!

giantman8493
03-15-2012, 01:09 AM
I don't pretend to know our cap space. But the three restructures and Jacobs cut created 14.7 million in cap space. That doesn't mean we are 14.7 million under the cap.That is why I gave you a link. Enjoy it.
We have less than 3 mil left with a draft coming up.
barring a miracle, No more big signings.

netplus
03-15-2012, 01:30 AM
Even Ralph Vacchiano is guessing, and he clearly was wrong. He wrongly assumed we were only 700,000 under. Then we sign TT and Bennett. Nobody really knows except the FO.

"At least I think they’re under. According to ProFootballTalk.com, the Giants were $3.8 million over the cap as of Friday, 4 p.m. I believe that did not include the $5 million savings they got from cutting Jacobs, which would move them to $1.2 million under. However, I also don’t believe that included the “exclusive rights free agent” tender to tight end Bear Pascoe (who hasn't signed his yet, but will), which would add another $500,000 (approximately) and put them just $700,000 under the cap."

Bohemian
03-15-2012, 01:35 AM

with what money

I have a couple of bucks in my couch somewhere... ;) Canadian money too!

Bigbluefan1974
03-15-2012, 08:43 AM
@netplus (../members/netplus.aspx), it was only an insult if it is true. I was asking you a question. Like a previous poster stated, most of the people that can read, knows that we are pressed pretty tight against the cap. We still have draft picks to sign, Weatherford still has to sign his tag. I am not going to go do the work for you and post links. Your a big boy I'm sure and can do your own research. Not to mention, you have had Reese say in interviews they probably weren't going to make any huge moves in free agency because of their cap situation. So maybe nobody knows the exact figure, but everyone knows they are tight against the cap.
I would love Winston on the team or would have loved Nicks, but the Giants just don't have the cap room. Not unless they restructure more contracts, which is bad for future years cap space. So, I don't see the need to mention every free agent that hits the market like most of the fantasy geeks or wanna be Madden GMs on this site, because I know they don't have the cap space. Not to mention if you've been watching the Giants for more than the past 4 years you would know its just not their way.

nygsb42champs
03-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Who are we cutting to fit him under the cap?

netplus
03-15-2012, 10:06 AM
@netplus (../members/netplus.aspx), it was only an insult if it is true.* I was asking you a question.* Like a previous poster stated, most of the people that can read, knows that we are pressed pretty tight against the cap.* We still have draft picks to sign, Weatherford still has to sign his tag.* I am not going to go do the work for you and post links.* Your a big boy I'm sure and can do your own research.* Not to mention, you have had Reese say in interviews they probably weren't going to make any huge moves in free agency because of their cap situation.* So maybe nobody knows the exact figure, but everyone knows they are tight against the cap.
I would love Winston on the team or would have loved Nicks, but the Giants just don't have the cap room.* Not unless they restructure more contracts, which is bad for future years cap space.* So, I don't see the need to mention every free agent that hits the market like most of the fantasy geeks or wanna be Madden GMs on this site, because I know they don't have the cap space. * Not to mention if you've been watching the Giants for more than the past 4 years you would know its just not their way.*

Do you have the ability to ask questions without insulting people?

And as for it not being the Giants way, have you forgot about the contracts written for Canty, Boley, Baas, McKenzie, and Rolle?

The bottom line is, YOU JUST DON'T KNOW what our cap space is, what more can be done to increase cap space, yet you make assumptions and label it gospel. And in the process you insult while posting with "are you dumb" and "if you can read". Try having a conversation without the insults, you just might like the response you get better.

Bigbluefan1974
03-15-2012, 10:14 AM
That isn't the norm for the Giants, besides we had cap space the years we signed them!! WOW...Ok I give up. Your right. We should restructure, cut players, whatever it takes to sign big priced free agents. Happy?

repeatchamps
03-15-2012, 10:22 AM
That isn't the norm for the Giants, besides we had cap space the years we signed them!! WOW...Ok I give up. Your right. We should restructure, cut players, whatever it takes to sign big priced free agents. Happy?
</P>

Not multiple free agents just3 Goff, Tolbert and Winston. They find a way to make cap room for those three, I am ready to lock us in for a "repeatchamps" lol.[;)]</P>

hungrrrry
03-15-2012, 10:37 AM
How do you know we can't resign these players? You don't, and don't pretend you do.</P>

Wow!</P>

I agree that the insult was uncalled for at that time.....but dude?* There are literally 100's of articles out there describing in detail what our cap situation is, who we can't afford, who is not being resigned, who has restructured...etc etc ec.....</P>

It's safe to say that those of us who can read KNOW we can't resign these players.* Sticking your head in the sand because you don't want to believe it doesn't mean it isn't true.</P>It's not impossible to sign him but it is very unlikely given our current roster and cap situation: Winston will likely make his round and our people will likely keep an eye on the situation while taking care of it's own business with the hopes that the market brings him down to earth with his contract demands...if it is an attractive situation, Reese will make critical cuts/restructures to get him if he feels it is a golden opportunity at which point he will swoop in and say "wussup?"

swimeasy
03-15-2012, 11:00 AM
How do you know we can't resign these players? You don't, and don't pretend you do.</p>

Wow!</p>

I agree that the insult was uncalled for at that time.....but dude? There are literally 100's of articles out there describing in detail what our cap situation is, who we can't afford, who is not being resigned, who has restructured...etc etc ec.....</p>

It's safe to say that those of us who can read KNOW we can't resign these players. Sticking your head in the sand because you don't want to believe it doesn't mean it isn't true.</p>It's not impossible to sign him but it is very unlikely given our current roster and cap situation: Winston will likely make his round and our people will likely keep an eye on the situation while taking care of it's own business with the hopes that the market brings him down to earth with his contract demands...if it is an attractive situation, Reese will make critical cuts/restructures to get him if he feels it is a golden opportunity at which point he will swoop in and say "wussup?"

IA hungrrrry. Winston is definitely being monitored and if circumstances allow and it's considered an imperative due to no other reasonable options, Reese will make it happen. But, I think they will be looking to the draft as a way to hopefully address our needs for the long term.

The addition of Bennett's TE blocking is a short term, possibly longer term situation but Bennett made that happen as much as the Giants did with the agreement on a reasonable 1 year deal.

repeatchamps
03-15-2012, 11:19 AM

Wow!</P>

I agree that the insult was uncalled for at that time.....but dude? There are literally 100's of articles out there describing in detail what our cap situation is, who we can't afford, who is not being resigned, who has restructured...etc etc ec.....</P>

It's safe to say that those of us who can read KNOW we can't resign these players. Sticking your head in the sand because you don't want to believe it doesn't mean it isn't true.</P>

It's not impossible to sign him but it is very unlikely given our current roster and cap situation: Winston will likely make his round and our people will likely keep an eye on the situation while taking care of it's own business with the hopes that the market brings him down to earth with his contract demands...if it is an attractive situation, Reese will make critical cuts/restructures to get him if he feels it is a golden opportunity at which point he will swoop in and say "wussup?"

IA hungrrrry. Winston is definitely being monitored and if circumstances allow and it's considered an imperative due to no other reasonable options, Reese will make it happen. But, I think they will be looking to the draft as a way to hopefully address our needs for the long term.

The addition of Bennett's TE blocking is a short term, possibly longer term situation but Bennett made that happen as much as the Giants did with the agreement on a reasonable 1 year deal.
</P>

Something tells me there is no step in right away and dominate Offensive Tackle that's going to be available at 32. They have Brewer waiting in the wings as well. How many young Tackles are we going to draft before one of them grabs the position by the throat and dominates. </P>

Tired of waiting for a Beatty and a Brewer to be ready to start and dominate at the two most important positions on the O-line. Constantly drafting O-linemen and waiting for them to pan out in later rounds or even late in the early rounds (where the Giants are usually drafting) seems like a long drawn out approach that likely doesn't pan out.</P>

Honestly the Giants have mainly gone to the free agent well for O-line for the last 20 years. Snee and Diehl have been the only two guys that were truly homegrown that panned out on a consistent basis. Even Seubert was an Undrafted Free Agent and Pettitgout was hot and cold at best! Maybe they should exclusively draft O-linemen in the first round for a few years to totally rebuild it from scratch who knowsbut I think that it is silly to not consider free agents for the o-line and apparently so do the Giants as recent history has proven.</P>

If they had some decent cap room this year, Winston would have been much more on their radar for sure and drafting O-line in the first round would probably not be the approach.</P>

GfieldGmen
03-15-2012, 01:47 PM
What did Diehl restructure to? I haven't seen anything on this?