PDA

View Full Version : SHOCKEY WANTS TO RETURN

Redeyejedi
03-15-2012, 09:33 AM
will play for vet min

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/jerry-shockey-big-blue-encore-problems-caused-giants-article-1.1039382

timmytimm3
03-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Source?

Does anyone care?

Redeyejedi
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/jerry-shockey-big-blue-encore-problems-caused-giants-article-1.1039382

People are against this im sure but he is worth it for the league min

Redeyejedi
Source?

Does anyone care?Sorry just posted it

NWKEffectElement
03-15-2012, 09:39 AM
I knew this was coming.

barran21
03-15-2012, 09:40 AM
No thank you.....

JimC
03-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Its all about getting better. If the coaches and FO want him back so be it, but I don't see how he makes us a better team.

Redeyejedi
03-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Its all about getting better.* If the coaches and FO want him back so be it, but I don't see how he makes us a better team.
Not bad option in a limited snap role in 2 TE sets as a receiver. Also protects the Giants with another capable player to put in the slot. I dont think he will cause waves and for the price he is worth more then the cost.

GameTime
03-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Its all about getting better. If the coaches and FO want him back so be it, but I don't see how he makes us a better team.
Not bad option in a limited snap role in 2 TE sets as a receiver. Also protects the Giants with another capable player to put in the slot. I dont think he will cause waves and for the price he is worth more then the cost.</P>

nah....he couldn't comply with the "team" aspect of the Giants 5 years ago. He hasn't earned the right to be a NYG now IMO. Let him go piss and moan for another team.</P>

</P>

bigblue5611
03-15-2012, 09:52 AM
he'd need to understand #80 is taken....;)

ryan12
03-15-2012, 09:54 AM
i was the biggest shockey homer EVER. no way do i want him on team

Redeyejedi
03-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Its all about getting better.* If the coaches and FO want him back so be it, but I don't see how he makes us a better team.
Not bad option in a limited snap role in 2 TE sets as a receiver. Also protects the Giants with another capable player to put in the slot. I dont think he will cause waves and for the price he is worth more then the cost.</P>

nah....he couldn't comply with the "team" aspect of the Giants 5 years ago. He hasn't earned the right to be a NYG now IMO. Let him go piss and moan for another team.</P>

*</P> I think he has matured since then. Ive seen nothing but positive things about him since he left the Giants. He would be a back up and situational player. Not in a position to make waves. At the Vet min if he says 1 thing u cut him. Signing him would give the Giants a lot more leeway on draft day.

Flip Empty
03-15-2012, 09:58 AM
He probably wants to retire as a Giant.

Redeyejedi
03-15-2012, 09:59 AM
he'd need to understand #80 is taken....;)Thats for sure

GameTime
03-15-2012, 09:59 AM
He probably wants to retire as a Giant.</P>

doesn't deserve it IMO....</P>

</P>

Redeyejedi
03-15-2012, 10:03 AM

*</P>
Looks like the team is thinking the same way

Someone informed of the communication between the former first-round pick and the Giants said recently even the staunchest of Shockey supporters resisted the idea of his return. The person, who requested anonymity because none of the parties have gone on record, said Shockey told the team he'd accept a veteran-minimum salary ($925,000) but that didn't get him anywhere.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/03/jeremy_shockey_wants_reunion_w.html?utm_source=twi tterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=%23nyg

swimeasy
03-15-2012, 10:11 AM
He probably wants to retire as a Giant.</p>

doesn't deserve it IMO....</p>

</p>

THIS!!!!

GMENAGAIN
03-15-2012, 10:13 AM

</P>

I think he has matured since then. Ive seen nothing but positive things about him since he left the Giants. He would be a back up and situational player. Not in a position to make waves. At the Vet min if he says 1 thing u cut him. Signing him would give the Giants a lot more leeway on draft day.</P>

Not true . . . the guy was hated in NO</P>

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/10/saints-broadcaster-rips-jeremy-shockey/</P>

</P>

chizz
03-15-2012, 10:16 AM
I dont ho wmuch use we will get out of him , but I would do it so he could retire in blue . No matter how much you people hate him He was a beast

Bigbluefan1974
03-15-2012, 10:17 AM
absolutely not

buddy33
03-15-2012, 10:18 AM

*</P>
Looks like the team is thinking the same way

Someone informed of the communication between the former first-round pick and the Giants said recently even the staunchest of Shockey supporters resisted the idea of his return. The person, who requested anonymity because none of the parties have gone on record, said Shockey told the team he'd accept a veteran-minimum salary ($925,000) but that didn't get him anywhere.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/03/jeremy_shockey_wants_reunion_w.html?utm_source=twi tterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=%23nyg

That's says it all.

Don't forget that Toomer said he was not a great team player.

WORLDCHAMPS
03-15-2012, 10:19 AM
will play for vet min

He can play for free if he wants...cause thats the only way i can see Shockey in a giants uniform again after the battle with JR

miked1958
03-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Well we will have Pascoe and Bennett to start the season. then at some point Ballard will be back. although not at full strenth for awhile i am sure. I guess they will release Beckum. they also have this kid Christian Hopkins on roster that FO seems to be high on.
</P>

I dont see them wasting another roster spot even with the VET MIN for Shockey. Not going to happen. maybe if this surfaced prior to the M. Bennett signing...MAYBE.. but even then i doubt it cause of his age and past with the team</P>

TuckYou
03-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Funny, Tiki wanted the same thing... </P>

No dice Shock man. Your time is done here. </P>

You cant come back to an organization that you burned your bridges with.</P>

Rather bring back the Shank.</P>

hungrrrry
03-15-2012, 10:29 AM
will play for vet min

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/jerry-shockey-big-blue-encore-problems-caused-giants-article-1.1039382 At the vet minimum and knowing his role is blocking primarily then maybe but I hate this guy!

SweetZombieJesus
03-15-2012, 10:30 AM
He was finished years ago. Although I'd enjoy it to see Eli put him in his place.

NY_Eli
03-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Amani Toomer ? @AmaniAToomer
@garymyersNYDN No!!Shockey"I will never play4 you again!"he yelled at jerry Reese in 08. Let him keep his word. Bad teammate, worse person.

I think that says it all

bELIeve_in_Giants
03-15-2012, 10:35 AM
@garymyersNYDN No!!Shockey"I will never play4 you again!"he yelled at jerry Reese in 08. Let him keep his word. Bad teammate, worse person.

I think that says it all

Wow. That's blunt.

FBomb
03-15-2012, 10:41 AM
It's amazing how powerful hindsight is. I was a fan of his once.....ONCE. Nothing like a diva with an over inflated opinion of his own abilities. No thanks.

rxc999
03-15-2012, 10:43 AM
i was a fan of him in his early years..not anymore after how things went sour..No thanks!! reese is going to draft a TE.

GMENAGAIN
03-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Amani Toomer ? @AmaniAToomer @garymyersNYDN No!!Shockey"I will never play4 you again!"he yelled at jerry Reese in 08. Let him keep his word. Bad teammate, worse person. I think that says it all</P>

Wow . . . that does say it all . . . . .</P>

manning to shockey
03-15-2012, 10:44 AM

I think that says it all

Wow I just read that on twitter, damn Amani took the gloves off.

MikeIsaGiant
03-15-2012, 10:45 AM
I still have my old shockey jersey in my closet. LOL , but not sure if I want to ever take it out to watch a game.

I only use it to play football

TuckYou
03-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Amani Toomer ? @AmaniAToomer @garymyersNYDN No!!Shockey"I will never play4 you again!"he yelled at jerry Reese in 08. Let him keep his word. Bad teammate, worse person. I think that says it all</P>

Didnt Tiki and Osi say the same things?</P>

Bigbluereckingcrew
03-15-2012, 10:51 AM

*</P>

One big difference, Shockey was the man back then, he thought the Giants universe centered on him, humbled and broken (seeing as he is willing to play of the vet min) he KNOWS this is Eli's team. If he can respect that than why not, I have meet Shockey on multiple occasions and the dude was always cool, never a ****. If he can respect the rules give him a go. He won't quite on play like plax and he wants to win.

bLuereverie
03-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Just saw the Toomer tweet.

How does one peak rookie year and gradually spiral from there?

Hooligans
03-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Shockey is finished and there is no way the Giants will waste a salary slot on this headcase.

ny06
03-15-2012, 10:59 AM
http://blog.nj.com/giants_impact/2009/08/large_reese804.jpg</P>

"Not on my watch Shockey"</P>

Dorkasaurus
03-15-2012, 11:00 AM
LOL this thread is going on much longer then it took JR to cnsider Shockey.

Shockley Left as a cancer ...proved he was average at best on two different teams..

I would not bring him back even to carry footballs to the pratice field at Minimum Wage ! (let alone league minimum)

THIRDINF516
03-15-2012, 11:02 AM
I would love to have Shockey back..

His will bring the fire that we lost when Jacobs left

Flip Empty
03-15-2012, 11:08 AM

I'm pretty sure Shockey used all his fire burning the bridge back to the Giants.

chasjay
Not bad option in a limited snap role in 2 TE sets as a receiver. Also protects the Giants with another capable player to put in the slot. I dont think he will cause waves and for the price he is worth more then the cost.</p>

nah....he couldn't comply with the "team" aspect of the Giants 5 years ago. He hasn't earned the right to be a NYG now IMO. Let him go piss and moan for another team.</p>

</p> I think he has matured since then. Ive seen nothing but positive things about him since he left the Giants. He would be a back up and situational player. Not in a position to make waves. At the Vet min if he says 1 thing u cut him. Signing him would give the Giants a lot more leeway on draft day.

Every rotten apple went through the "maturation" process. Now that my smart*** remark is out of the way, my position is like it is with every player - I will support whatever decision the team makes. If Shockey could stay healthy and now truly wants to experience the joy being part of a team before his career ends, he could be an asset. Big if's.

I live in the N.O. area - none of the Saints' fans got down on Shockey until after the team sent him on his way and some comments were made public.

Dorkasaurus

By "fire"do you mean making assinine comments and under-preforming ?

GameTime
03-15-2012, 11:14 AM
I am aquainted with someone who works in the FO and the same goes for Tiki. He is "persona non grata"...(Latin for: "an unwelcome person")</P>

</P>

GameTime
03-15-2012, 11:15 AM
I would love to have Shockey back.. His will bring the fire that we lost when Jacobs left</P>

he doesn't fit in the Giants "team aspect". He never did!! Where have you been and what team do you root for?? Do you even know what the NYG are about???</P>

</P>

CDN_G-FAN
03-15-2012, 11:18 AM
i was the biggest shockey homer EVER. no way do i want him on team</P>

atta boy.</P>

</P>

same.</P>

</P>

i remember his first season in NO, and how many times Brees was screaming himself horse blasting shockey for doing whatever shockey had been doing in NY for years.</P>

All the talent in the world, but attitude and attention to detail wasn't that guy's strong suits.</P>

Contrast that with Cruz, who everyone says works his a** to the bone in the film room and with coaches trying to do everything he can to get better.</P>

Give me those guys over Shockey every time.</P>

MikeIsaGiant
03-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Yep, what a ****

@JeremyShockey: funny how Ny media still try's to make money off me! Can anyone find a quote from me on me wanting to play for GAINTS?

Out of Exile
03-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Will always love Shockey...but he caused his own problems here. Still, I would like to see him back if he kept his mouth shut and made amends. I don't think he'd come back and be a jerk. The dude has 2 SB rings now and is older. I'd say for vet min, why not? Maybe he wants to come back and prove he's not a huge dbag.

TheBookOfEli
03-15-2012, 11:23 AM
If he comes back, he better keep his mouth shut when MVP ELIte talks in the huddle.

MikeIsaGiant
03-15-2012, 11:24 AM
This is what I replied to Shockey

Michael Longo ? @MikeGLongo
@JeremyShockey No "GAINTS" fan wants you in NY anyway

dezzzR
03-15-2012, 11:26 AM
<h6 class="uiStreamMessage uiStreamHeadline"><div class="actorDescription actorName">In Reese We Trust (http://www.facebook.com/pages/In-Reese-We-Trust/204765974855)</div></h6><h6 class="uiStreamMessage"> <span class="messageBody">?Amani Toomer (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Amani-Toomer/108201155866593) threw Jeremy Shockey under the bus this morning.
Quote from Shockey: "I will never play for you again!" he yelled at Jerry Reese.
Response from Toomer: Let him keep his word. Bad teammate, worse person</span></h6>

</p>

</p>

</p>

ShockeyShow
03-15-2012, 11:39 AM
As a Shockey Fan at heart, I say HELL NO.

It's about where we're going, not where we've been.
He would never accept being a backup

RoanokeFan
03-15-2012, 11:45 AM

As the second leading Tight End behind Mark Bavaro, that's a nice sentiment and if that was what he wanted he could ask them to "sign" him and watch him retire with the same stroke of the pen. He doesn't know anything else but football. His life,a s he knows it, is coming to an inglorious end.

It's sad, in a sense as he was very talented. But it's a situation he brought upon himself and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

One of the words we use around here a lot is loyalty and, truth be told, it's a very rare commodity in this business we call the NFL. There is a word we use very little here and that's honorable. Shockey was consumed with Shockey and it did him in. I think had he not had the shouting match with Reese he might stand a chance. But in this franchise, a lack of honor matters.

Simply put, there are ways to do things...

CDN_G-FAN
03-15-2012, 12:00 PM

As the second leading Tight End behind Mark Bavaro, that's a nice sentiment and if that was what he wanted he could ask them to "sign" him and watch him retire with the same stroke of the pen. He doesn't know anything else but football. His life,a s he knows it, is coming to an inglorious end.

It's sad, in a sense as he was very talented. But it's a situation he brought upon himself and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

One of the words we use around here a lot is loyalty and, truth be told, it's a very rare commodity in this business we call the NFL. There is a word we use very little here and that's honorable. Shockey was consumed with Shockey and it did him in. I think had he not had the shouting match with Reese he might stand a chance. But in this franchise, a lack of honor matters.

</P>

</P>

what a great post.</P>

</P>

some people keep saying "why not bring him back for the vet minimum".</P>

</P>

The answer is sometimes you can get worse by who you add to that locker room.</P>

</P>

i think people assumed that it was just a coincidence that our offense and QB starting playing better when shockey was sidelined with an injury.</P>

it really wasn't.</P>

radar-ray
03-15-2012, 12:02 PM
F "DB" Shockey

Morehead State
03-15-2012, 12:05 PM

</P>

Well you make it sound like he's had a mediocre career. I disagree with that completely.</P>

He was one of the best and most productive TE's in football during his prime. He also won a SB in NO while catching the winning TD in that SB.</P>

I would say 10 or 11 years in the league with the kind of production he's had is a pretty fine career.</P>

I really don't think he was "done in" by anything. He was a general pain in the *** but who isn't.</P>

RoanokeFan
03-15-2012, 12:08 PM

</p>

</p>

what a great post.</p>

</p>

some people keep saying "why not bring him back for the vet minimum".</p>

</p>

The answer is sometimes you can get worse by who you add to that locker room.</p>

</p>

i think people assumed that it was just a coincidence that our offense and QB starting playing better when shockey was sidelined with an injury.</p>

it really wasn't.</p>

For me, players who ask for more money, more playing team, trade me or play me I get. I don't get those players who take their dirty laundry public AND insult the very people they are asking for consideration.

In fairness to Shockey, there is a tweet reported to be from him asking where HE ever said anything about returning to the GIANTS. This could all be media hype with no basis in fact.

In any event, I think the earth might slip off its axis before Shockey puts on a GIANTS' uniform.

RoanokeFan
03-15-2012, 12:11 PM

</p>

Well you make it sound like he's had a mediocre career. I disagree with that completely.</p>

He was one of the best and most productive TE's in football during his prime. He also won a SB in NO while catching the winning TD in that SB.</p>

I would say 10 or 11 years in the league with the kind of production he's had is a pretty fine career.</p>

I really don't think he was "done in" by anything. He was a general pain in the *** but who isn't.</p>

Did you read my first 9 words? [:)]

Morehead State
03-15-2012, 12:21 PM

</P>

Well you make it sound like he's had a mediocre career. I disagree with that completely.</P>

He was one of the best and most productive TE's in football during his prime. He also won a SB in NO while catching the winning TD in that SB.</P>

I would say 10 or 11 years in the league with the kind of production he's had is a pretty fine career.</P>

I really don't think he was "done in" by anything. He was a general pain in the *** but who isn't.</P>

</P>

Yes I did but you said that he brought this on himself. I can't tell you how much I disagree. He played his *** off on every play (even his whining was done with maximum effort) He didn't bring on the end of his career himself. Father time did that. You play that hard for that many years and you are going to break down. I just don't see the career of Jeremy Shockey as tragic or underachieving at all. I think he got everything out of his ability. </P>

</P>

P.S. You know I love ya.</P>

RoanokeFan
03-15-2012, 12:27 PM

</p>

Well you make it sound like he's had a mediocre career. I disagree with that completely.</p>

He was one of the best and most productive TE's in football during his prime. He also won a SB in NO while catching the winning TD in that SB.</p>

I would say 10 or 11 years in the league with the kind of production he's had is a pretty fine career.</p>

I really don't think he was "done in" by anything. He was a general pain in the *** but who isn't.</p>

</p>

Yes I did but you said that he brought this on himself. I can't tell you how much I disagree. He played his *** off on every play (even his whining was done with maximum effort) He didn't bring on the end of his career himself. Father time did that. You play that hard for that many years and you are going to break down. I just don't see the career of Jeremy Shockey as tragic or underachieving at all. I think he got everything out of his ability. </p>

</p>

P.S. You know I love ya.</p>

I agree he had a damn good career, but my comments were centered around his returning here and I can't imagine he would ask or that they would acquiesce. So "bringing it on himself" was a reference to coming back here.

As an aside, he's allegedly tweeted a challenge for anyone to find a quote from him saying he wants to come back.

CDN_G-FAN
03-15-2012, 12:31 PM

</P>

</P>

Yes I did but you said that he brought this on himself. I can't tell you how much I disagree. He played his *** off on every play (even his whining was done with maximum effort) He didn't bring on the end of his career himself. Father time did that. You play that hard for that many years and you are going to break down. I just don't see the career of Jeremy Shockey as tragic or underachieving at all. I think he got everything out of his ability. </P>

</P>

P.S. You know I love ya.</P>

</P>

i watched alot of NO games the first year he was there. Obviously lost interest after that.</P>

he may have played his *** off, but his QB spent alot of time screaming at him for stuff playing his *** off couldn't fix.</P>

i don't think his problem is father time at all. Almost 500 yards receiving for a team with a losing record, he's got lots left in the tank.</P>

i just question whether people want him in the locker room.</P>

assuming the reports are true and he'll take the vet minimum to play, what logical explanation can anyone have as to why you wouldn't sign him?</P>

</P>

Bohemian
03-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Whatever Coughlin does with Shockey, you know that it will be on Coughlin's terms. So I am okay with it either way. I trust the coach's ability to put people in their place.

Dorkasaurus
03-15-2012, 12:57 PM

As the second leading Tight End behind Mark Bavaro, that's a nice sentiment and if that was what he wanted he could ask them to "sign" him and watch him retire with the same stroke of the pen.* He doesn't know anything else but football.* His life,a s he knows it, is coming to an inglorious end.*

It's sad, in a sense as he was very talented.* But it's a situation he brought upon himself and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

One of the words we use around here a lot is loyalty and, truth be told, it's a very rare commodity in this business we call the NFL.** There is a word we use very little here and that's honorable.* Shockey was consumed with Shockey and it did him in.* I think had he not had the shouting match with Reese he might stand a chance.* But in this franchise, a lack of honor matters.

he "paved his road" now he can ride it.

Flip Empty
03-15-2012, 01:07 PM
assuming the reports are true and he'll take the vet minimum to play, what logical explanation can anyone have as to why you wouldn't sign him?
...he's old and isn't what he used to be?
He isn't needed?

GreenZone
03-15-2012, 01:08 PM
<span class="status-body"><span class="status-content"><span class="entry-content">Quote from Shockey: "It's
funny how the Ny media still try's to make money off me! Can anyone
find a quote from me on me wanting to play for the GAINTS?"

The controversy was based on the fraud Gary Myers alleging:
"</span></span></span>Jeremy Shockey,
who forced his way out of New York four years ago, needs a job and has
let the Giants know he would like to return, the Daily News has learned."

The latter quote should probably have ended: "...the Daily News has made up because we have no ethics and enjoy fabricating controversy."

Bottom line: Gary Myers cannot be trusted in what he says, quoting anonymously (or otherwise).

NYG 5
03-15-2012, 01:10 PM
he either has to lose weight and just become a receiving target, or gain weight and be a blocker. as he is, he's too slow to be a real good receiver, and too weak to block.

however, he's still probably an improvement over ballard and beckum.

but regardless, he's not coming back here lol. he'll probably be a cheap workhorse in miami

GMENAGAIN
03-15-2012, 01:28 PM
This entire thread is silly . . . there is no way the Giants would ever consider bringing this guy back. If I had to guess, I would bet that the Giants FO would laugh at loud at the idea of bringing him back.</P>

</P>

NorwoodBlue
03-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Marcellus Bennett just signed, TE discussion should be over

Definitely not Shockey

miked1958
03-15-2012, 01:36 PM
<SPAN class=status-body><SPAN class=status-content><SPAN class=entry-content>Quote from Shockey: "It's funny how the Ny media still try's to make money off me! Can anyone find a quote from me on me wanting to play for the GAINTS?"

The controversy was based on the fraud Gary Myers alleging:
"</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>Jeremy Shockey, who forced his way out of New York four years ago, needs a job and has let the Giants know he would like to return, the Daily News has learned."

The latter quote should probably have ended: "...the Daily News has made up because we have no ethics and enjoy fabricating controversy."

Bottom line: Gary Myers cannot be trusted in what he says, quoting anonymously (or otherwise).
</P>

Funny how this quote from Shockey comes right after the Giants announced that they want nothing to do with him. LOL</P>

miked1958
03-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Marcellus Bennett just signed, TE discussion should be over

Definitely not Shockey

</P>

agreed/ </P>

I say you work with what you have. Promote the Kid Hopkins from the Practice Squad and Draft another TE for some Insurance. They also have 2 other guys they signed already on roster. Prob wont make team but they are there.</P>

JMGGIANTS
03-15-2012, 02:53 PM
LOL, just saw this. NO THANKS</P>

GMenNY21
03-15-2012, 02:58 PM
No way, don't need this bad energy , cancer

JMGGIANTS
03-15-2012, 02:59 PM
yep talk about bad karma, bad aura.

Martyr
03-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Bennett &amp; Shockey could be a nice tandem, I'd say do it for the vet min. Its only one year and they could cut him anytime, I think Reese should look very hard at this

Roswell777
03-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Under no circumstances would I want Shockey on the Giants.

None.

BigBlue1971
03-15-2012, 03:30 PM
naw not Shockey.</P>

anyone who complains about the team while winning a superbowl ringis not welcome imo!</P>

let 'em stay in Carolina or wherever he is!</P>

Harooni
03-16-2012, 02:29 AM
well eli has gotten much better so there wont be any throwing the hands up. he never said a bad comment about eli. and i dont think he had a huge rift with TC or reese.