PDA

View Full Version : Is MM re-signing becoming more likely?

giantsfan420
03-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Him and Lloyd are the last two name recognizable WR's. Guys like Meachem, Garcon, Wayne, VJax, etc. have all gone and signed with teams.

Question is, is MM getting the offers he hoped he would? If a team had offered him #1 WR contracts, he would have been signed by now. He's visited a bunch of teams, and still no contract.

The market may be on our side which kicks *** for the Giants but kinda blows for MM...I dont even believe an offer he receives from another team will be out of our range...with Smith looking like he signs to STL, MM is my next best choice...

what do you guys make of MM visiting teams like Buffalo, SF, Cleveland and I believe Miami and not signing?

GmenFan1980
03-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Lloyd to the patriots and Manningham to Tampa is still an option no?

GMenNY21
03-15-2012, 08:05 PM
its a head scratcher that he hasn't signed yet, but even after this, I still think he'll be out of our range.. We could probably only pay him 3 million, while I believe San Fran or New England will be pay at least 5 mill...

I wish it was possible, but I dont see it..

TheEnigma
03-15-2012, 08:06 PM
It's only been a few days into free agency. Chill down man lol. I'm glad to see no one paying him #1 money because frankly he doesn't deserve it but it is baffling that guys like Garcon and Meachem are going to get more than him. I'm honestly rooting for him to get a decent payday because he really needs to cash out for his future.

Flip Empty
03-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Lloyd to the patriots and Manningham to Tampa is still an option no?Yeah, but I don't think Tampa needs Manningham. VJax, Williams and Benn will probably be their three starters.
The Pats could sign either of them.

Every day where he doesn't sign a new contract is definitely good news for the Giants. Very early days though.
I still don't see him returning.

RoanokeFan
03-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Him and Lloyd are the last two name recognizable WR's. Guys like Meachem, Garcon, Wayne, VJax, etc. have all gone and signed with teams.

Question is, is MM getting the offers he hoped he would? If a team had offered him #1 WR contracts, he would have been signed by now. He's visited a bunch of teams, and still no contract.

The market may be on our side which kicks *** for the Giants but kinda blows for MM...I dont even believe an offer he receives from another team will be out of our range...with Smith looking like he signs to STL, MM is my next best choice...

what do you guys make of MM visiting teams like Buffalo, SF, Cleveland and I believe Miami and not signing?

1. I think he wants to hear an offer close to what he WANTS
2. He wants to be sure leaving the current World Champion New York Football Giants is the right move (Could be a stretch, but I think it could matter to him)

MM Believes he's, at worst, a # 2 WR. He has a figure in mind but with every passing day, that figure drops. At some point it may well be that what he was offered by Reese and can REALLY get on the open market are not that far apart.

NYGRealityCheck
03-15-2012, 08:17 PM
There's still a wealth of FA WRs left that can fit the 3rd WR spot on the Giants if Hixon becomes an uncertainty..

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/wide-receiver/

Some options listed:

Deion Branch, Ted Ginn Jr. (did everyone just forget about him already?), Eddie Royal (I'd personally give him a try-out as well), Mike Sims-Walker...

There's also Ochocino and Roy Williams (WR) who were great at one time, but apparently not anymore.

giantsfan420
03-15-2012, 08:24 PM
There's still a wealth of FA WRs left that can fit the 3rd WR spot on the Giants if Hixon becomes an uncertainty..

Some options listed:

Deion Branch, Ted Ginn Jr. (did everyone just forget about him already?), Eddie Royal (I'd personally give him a try-out as well), Mike Sims-Walker...

There's also Ochocino and Roy Williams (WR) who were great at one time, but apparently not anymore.
i'd rather MM 10x more than those guys. Royals interesting tho.

But it just seems baffling to me that all these other WR's are getting much more attention than MM. I did say before FA started that I believed teams would be worried about MM and the loss of cartilage in his knee joints and bone fragements in his knees, but I still expected a team to offer him an overpriced contract...

I know its still early and enigma u make a good point, just thinking that if we get a couple more days ahead and still he hasnt signed...would MM take a mil or 2 less a season if we were to offer him more guaranteed money then other teams? the market might be pricing him into our range.

NYGRealityCheck
03-15-2012, 08:28 PM

Some options listed:

i'd rather MM 10x more than those guys. Royals interesting tho.

But it just seems baffling to me that all these other WR's are getting much more attention than MM. I did say before FA started that I believed teams would be worried about MM and the loss of cartilage in his knee joints and bone fragements in his knees, but I still expected a team to offer him an overpriced contract...

I know its still early and enigma u make a good point, just thinking that if we get a couple more days ahead and still he hasnt signed...would MM take a mil or 2 less a season if we were to offer him more guaranteed money then other teams? the market might be pricing him into our range.

I agree Manningham is the best choice. He knows the system already. Any new WR (no matter the name) is going to have to learn the system and develop chemistry and trust with Eli, which is going to take time. Can the Giants re-sign him? We'll find out. :)

Martyr
03-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Manningham is overrated, did he really think he would get a huge pay day? The guy has made some decent plays here & there but he's a #2 recevier at best

Flip Empty
03-15-2012, 08:29 PM

Some options listed:

Branch doesn't have much left, Ocho's still a Patriot and Roy Williams drops passes thrown at his hands.
I'd love Royal, but I don't think the Giants have a shot at him.
MS-W is probably too plodding for the Giants' system.

Axels15
03-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Doubtful. Met with SF today, Rams tomorrow, bills need a wr.

He's out

Flip Empty
03-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Manningham is overrated, did he really think he would get a huge pay day? The guy has made some decent plays here & there but he's a #2 recevier at best
How is he overrated when no-one's hyping him?
He's rated exactly as he should be.

NYGRealityCheck
03-15-2012, 08:38 PM

Some options listed:

Branch doesn't have much left, Ocho's still a Patriot and Roy Williams drops passes return at his hands.

You're right Ochocino is still a Patriot for now into the 2013 season.

I also want to point out that trying to legitamently plug the 3rd WR spot via free agency is going to hinder the chances of Barden and even Jernigan from getting any significant playing time at the WR spot. The team would wind up starting another Barden-story with Jernigan. These guys deserve a chance as well.

Axels15
03-15-2012, 08:39 PM
I'd rather see Jernigan get a shot than have anyone else come in.

Also, if he can freaking stay healthy for a season, Hixon is a good #3. That said, it's a big 'if'

giantsfan420
03-15-2012, 08:58 PM

Some options listed:

Branch doesn't have much left, Ocho's still a Patriot and Roy Williams drops passes return at his hands.

You're right Ochocino is still a Patriot for now into the 2013 season.

I also want to point out that trying to legitamently plug the 3rd WR spot via free agency is going to hinder the chances of Barden and even Jernigan from getting any significant playing time at the WR spot. The team would wind up starting another Barden-story with Jernigan. These guys deserve a chance as well.

ya know what, im starting to come around more and more to being fine with it if reese trusts and believes either barden or Jerrigan will step up. that reasoning will save us money for nicks and cruz...so i dont know. before i absolutely wanted Smith, and had MM my 2 option...now, maybe the best move is just sticking with Reese's draft choices and seeing if Barden/JJ step up.
but thats why I also wanted SMith, bc if they both fail to deliver, Smith is an amazing insurance policy.

we'll see I guess

JJC7301
03-16-2012, 01:45 AM

I doubt it, but it would be nice as long as it doesn't hurt us in the future in re-signing JPP, Nicks, and Cruz and possibly extending Osi.

I like MM, but I think that we can replace his production with either JJ, Hixon, Barden, or a draft pick. But if he's willing to take # 3 WR money, the I'm on board.

gmen0820
03-16-2012, 01:50 AM
Higher chance by the moment. I wonder if the Giants have already made plans to move on, kind of like what happened when BJ and Ward hit FA in 2009 and BJ came back and Ward was disappointed in the market and came back to accept our offer, which was no longer on the table.

JJC7301
03-16-2012, 01:55 AM
Higher chance by the moment. I wonder if the Giants have already made plans to move on, kind of like what happened when BJ and Ward hit FA in 2009 and BJ came back and Ward was disappointed in the market and came back to accept our offer, which was no longer on the table.
Is that how Ward wound up in TB? I didn't know that. Damn, I would have loved to have had Earth, Wind, and Fire back that following year.

gmen0820
03-16-2012, 02:00 AM
Is that how Ward wound up in TB? I didn't know that. Damn, I would have loved to have had Earth, Wind, and Fire back that following year.He tested the market, was wanting around (reportedly) 4.5+ mil per year and the Giants told him to test the market. He had definitely been disappointed in the lack of interest, so he comes back and his agent offers a multi year deal averaging around 3 mil per, and the Giants just flat out denied it, with no further negotiations.

It seems as if they were set on sprinkling in the beast we now call Danny Ware. Wow I hated the 2009 season.

JesseJames
03-16-2012, 11:24 AM
I like MM and hope he does resign with us because he knows the offense and is a downfield threat but he does drop some easy ones and takes games off. Having MM back will keep the continuity with the offense in tact and our WRs are what won the SB for us...

timmytimm3
03-16-2012, 11:43 AM
I'd rather see Jernigan get a shot than have anyone else come in.

THIS.

giantsfan420
03-16-2012, 11:46 AM
any chance MM signs a "prove your worth" contract thats like 2 years in length so MM becomes a FA when teams get that big jump in salary from tv contracts?

i saw it was reported the cap could go up to 135 million after that, so a lot of players are taking short contracts to prove their worth for the big payday in a couple years bc teams are strapped for cash right now and the caps tight...i think he could re-sign for a 2-3 year contract with the 3rd being an option, if the giants want him back at all. seems like they're content with giving JJ or Barden their shot

nhpgiantsfan
03-16-2012, 11:52 AM
I'd rather see Jernigan get a shot than have anyone else come in. Also, if he can freaking stay healthy for a season, Hixon is a good #3. That said, it's a big 'if'</P>

</P>

Hixon is not the man for the #3 job. If we don't bring MM back the team will probably be rooting for JJ to show in camp that he is the man for the job. That being said, I really hope MM signs with us. He is a great #3, probably better than any #3 out there. Continuity is a QB's best friend. There will be plenty of reps for the other wr's on the depth chart because, no way do the top three guys each play all 16 games. </P>

If there is a way to let Eli keep his top three receivers, then Jerry's got to do it. Obviously, without jepordizing the potential signing's of Nicks, and Cruz, down the road.</P>

timmytimm3
03-16-2012, 12:10 PM
I'd rather see Jernigan get a shot than have anyone else come in. Also, if he can freaking stay healthy for a season, Hixon is a good #3. That said, it's a big 'if'</P>

*</P>

Hixon is not the man for the #3 job.* If we don't bring MM back the team will probably be rooting for JJ to show in camp that he is the man for the job.* That being said, I really hope MM signs with us.* He is a great #3, probably better than any #3 out there.* Continuity is a QB's best friend.* There will be plenty of reps for the other wr's on the depth chart because, no way do the top three guys each play all 16 games.* </P>

If there is a way to let Eli keep his top three receivers, then Jerry's got to do it.* Obviously, without jepordizing the potential signing's of Nicks, and Cruz, down the road.</P>

I think improving the offensive line and keeping Eli healthy is more important than a legit number 3 receiver. WIth Cruz and Nick drawing doubles, the 3rd guy will get his chances. And the TE.

Kruunch
03-16-2012, 12:13 PM
any chance MM signs a "prove your worth" contract thats like 2 years in length so MM becomes a FA when teams get that big jump in salary from tv contracts?

i saw it was reported the cap could go up to 135 million after that, so a lot of players are taking short contracts to prove their worth for the big payday in a couple years bc teams are strapped for cash right now and the caps tight...i think he could re-sign for a 2-3 year contract with the 3rd being an option, if the giants want him back at all. seems like they're content with giving JJ or Barden their shot

Doubtful ... MM isn't that bright and his agent wants to get paid now (is my guess).

MM is a #2 receiver ... so it should be expected that the Vjax's of the world would go first.

MM will get a $4-6 mil / year contract from someone soon I would expect.

gumby742
03-16-2012, 12:23 PM

Doubtful ... MM isn't that bright and his agent wants to get paid now (is my guess).

MM is a #2 receiver ... so it should be expected that the Vjax's of the world would go first.

MM will get a $4-6 mil / year contract from someone soon I would expect.
I'm guessing around that much too. And that's still way too much then what we can afford right now.

Garcon got that huge contract. Resign NIcks and Cruz both? I don't think that's happening.