PDA

View Full Version : GIANTS' FANS TRY TO GRAB KEYS FROM JERRY REESE...AGAIN

RoanokeFan
03-16-2012, 11:25 AM
GIANTS' FANS TRY TO GRAB KEYS FROM JERRY REESE...AGAIN (http://www.giants101.com/2012/03/16/new-york-giants-fans-try-to-grab-keys-from-jerry-reese-again/)

"A few days into the 2012 free agency period and insanity has already reared
its familiar mug. Apparently, not many remember what transpired last year as far
as, oh, a quiet free agency period leading to, hey—a Super Bowl. Peering over
the fence to what the other 31 teams are doing has become the thing to do.
Again.

</p><div style="DISPLAY: none">New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants players hold up signs after defeating the
New England Patriots 21-17 to win Super Bowl XLVI February 5, 2012, in
Indianapolis. (UPI Photo/Brian Kersey)</div>
<div style="MARGIN: 5px">

<div style="POSITION: relative">

<div style="FLOAT: left">

</div></div>

<div style="POSITION: absolute; VISIBILITY: hidden; TOP: 0px; LEFT: 0px" id="beacon_fb5781643f">http://d1.openx.org/lg.php?bannerid=544983&amp;campaignid=255373&amp;zoneid=86 840&amp;loc=1&amp;referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.giants101.com%2 F2012%2F03%2F16%2Fnew-york-giants-fans-try-to-grab-keys-from-jerry-reese-again%2F&amp;cb=fb5781643f&amp;r_id=7849212d67d03d851a7b55 c5861a2062&amp;r_ts=m0zhee</div></div>

Some schizophrenic fans that swore off the <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Steve Smith" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/steve-smith/" rel="tag nofollow">Steve
Smith</a> bandwagon now think he should replace Victor Cruz in the slot. They’re
also feeling as if <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Plaxico Burress" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/plaxico-burress/" rel="tag nofollow">Plaxico
Burress</a> is the player that undressed Al Harris in the frozen 2008 NFC
Championship Game. They’re hollering for every former New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/)
Giant player that’s now a free agent to be brought back in to wear blue. How is
that realistic or Reese-like? It’s not.</p>

Getting most of the Giants players that contribute to the long-range plans to
stay in their New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/)
uniform appears to be the goal. Some injuries have created areas of concern, but
putting the franchise in debt for the future is never the answer. Throwing the
cap room at one or two non-fit players will never make sense in East
Rutherford.</p>

For a quick lesson on the caveats of free agency and the draft, glance down
I-95 to Big Blue division rivals, the Washington (http://www.giants101.com/tag/washington/) Redskins— getting penalized ($36 million)
recently for suspect manipulation of the 2010 uncapped year with
guaranteed/bonus monies. That’s what happens when teams throw cash around in
free agency. There are only so many times it can be said: “There’s no trophy for
winning in the off-season” (or for having a cool nickname like “Dream
Team”).</p>

The Giants are one of few teams that work the off-season in an evidence-based
manner. They go with simple combinations of need and scouting who is best as far
as fit for the schemes the team plays. Reaching for players because their
fantasy numbers were the highest ranked is not what will happen. The
organization doesn’t look at what worked the prior regular season for another
playoff team and try to emulate that. It is what is: Giants Football (http://www.giants101.com/tag/football/).
It’s rare they bring someone in that isn’t a workable fit and try to make them
into a New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/)
product. There’s usually some strength that’s Giants-like.</p>

While there’s nothing wrong with being optimistic or even passionate about
some free agents and draft prospects, it’s another to claim free agency failure
because the front office didn’t follow your particular line of armchair
scouting."</p>

RoanokeFan
03-16-2012, 11:35 AM
This should spark an intertesting debate.

Harooni
03-16-2012, 11:42 AM
the thing is you cant win a sb every year that way. eventually it catches up with you. this whole oline needs to be revamped and the defense needs some upgrades.

that said reese knows best. i dont need any flashy fa signings but a few quality guys at the right price would be nice.

Flip Empty
03-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Haha, there have certainly been some bonkers suggestions on here.
Look at the ridiculous argument going on in the Steve Smith thread.

Flip Empty
03-16-2012, 11:45 AM
the thing is you cant win a sb every year that way. eventually it catches up with you. this whole oline needs to be revamped and the defense needs some upgrades.

that said reese knows best. i dont need any flashy fa signings but a few quality guys at the right price would be nice.

The defense needs upgrades? You want to rip a chunk out of it and replace it with a mediocre Redskin.

burier
03-16-2012, 11:48 AM
I don't understand why fans want old injured retreaded players.

Ok lets get Steve Smith to come play in the slot. Move Cruz from the spot he was dominant for an old injured player who's a sellout to boot.

Cruz in his second year as a starter...could see a "sophmore" slump. He's got a lot of film out there now. Teams are going to play him differently. I think its a bad move.

And Burress.

Its funny how when Burress was here he was apparently making Eli look good. But when he was with the Jets Sanchez was making him look bad. I don't really get it. Can Sanchez not throw a jump ball?

Burress might hit his stride and be a monster but we need to leave the past in the past.

RoanokeFan
03-16-2012, 11:49 AM

I think we may have waited too long to start revamping the OLine hoping against the odds that the original group could remain intact. Interestingly enough, we did have the replacements on board with Koets, Boothe, and Beatty. Their success, now minus Koets, seems to be on the upswing.

As for winning a Super Bowl "every year" what are you smoking my esteemed friend? [;)]

NWKEffectElement
03-16-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm happy someone put it on print. When he steps down, we will be wishing for another JR like we did for Young.

RoanokeFan
03-16-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm happy someone put it on print. When he steps down, we will be wishing for another JR like we did for Young.

I'd like to think that both TC and his staff and Reese and his staff would get the benefit of the doubt now that we've won two Super Bowls in four years. It's just not to be in this media market and with some in this fanbase.

Kruunch
03-16-2012, 12:01 PM

After last year I'm amazed JR isn't getting at least a one year reprieve from the armchair GMs.

RoanokeFan
03-16-2012, 12:05 PM

After last year I'm amazed JR isn't getting at least a one year reprieve from the armchair GMs.

Too many "experts" lol

Harooni
03-16-2012, 12:19 PM

The defense needs upgrades? You want to rip a chunk out of it and replace it with a mediocre Redskin.

canty and rolle are not a big chunk. plenty of safeties in FA doesnt have to be landry ,we have plenty of guys that can play the line.

Die-Hard
03-16-2012, 12:36 PM

This is what I'd consider to be a powder keg, RF

LOL

Thanks for sharing. Good article!

RoanokeFan
03-16-2012, 12:37 PM

This is what I'd consider to be a powder keg, RF

LOL

Thanks for sharing. Good article!

Interestingly enough, some of the posters who COULD BE the writer's targets haven't commented [;)]

G-Man67
03-16-2012, 12:41 PM
yeah it's unreal, but we shouldnt be surprise ... heck, Eli won a Super Bowl and that still wasnt enough for many</P>

i think we would have like 15 Penn State LBs if posters were the GM</P>

RoanokeFan
03-16-2012, 12:47 PM
yeah it's unreal, but we shouldnt be surprise ... heck, Eli won a Super Bowl and that still wasnt enough for many</p>

i think we would have like 15 Penn State LBs if posters were the GM</p>

We all have our own ideas about what might help the team or make the fan experience better. What makes me laugh though are those who simply insist they know better than the professionals and/or refuse to acknowledge there just might be another, equally valid, position on any given subject matter.

NWKEffectElement
03-16-2012, 12:47 PM

I'd like to think that both TC and his staff and Reese and his staff would get the benefit of the doubt now that we've won two Super Bowls in four years.* It's just not to be in this media market and with some in this fanbase.

Its pretty sad. I have eaten my crow when it comes to TC, but you will not catch me going backwards. My our fanbase isn't as loyal as we would like to think. Personally, I think it is a true hatred of Reese that is causing this.

RoanokeFan
03-16-2012, 01:25 PM

I'd like to think that both TC and his staff and Reese and his staff would get the benefit of the doubt now that we've won two Super Bowls in four years. It's just not to be in this media market and with some in this fanbase.

Its pretty sad. I have eaten my crow when it comes to TC, but you will not catch me going backwards. My our fanbase isn't as loyal as we would like to think. Personally, I think it is a true hatred of Reese that is causing this.

We'll just have to see how it goes in the first full season after the new CBA.

wolfie
03-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Posters (myself included) are alot like eunuchs. </P>

Eunuchscan tell you where to do it, how to do it, and when to do it, but they can't do it themselves.</P>

In Reese and the Giants organization I trust. I get upset, but I trust.</P>

TheEnigma
03-16-2012, 01:38 PM
The article has some merit but to be fair, every team has fans that do this. Some have issues with the GM that might be a bit over the top and then you have some that just enjoy discussing what they would like to see happen in the offseason or in the draft. It's about keeping your expectations as real as possible (No, we were never going to land Carl Nicks or Ben Grubbs)

RoanokeFan
03-16-2012, 01:45 PM
The article has some merit but to be fair, every team has fans that do this. Some have issues with the GM that might be a bit over the top and then you have some that just enjoy discussing what they would like to see happen in the offseason or in the draft. It's about keeping your expectations as real as possible (No, we were never going to land Carl Nicks or Ben Grubbs)

True but it's a GIANTS focused outlet so that's why they zero in here.

JaxMan
03-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Theres a point that nobody is really picking up on,even with their limited cap space where now are the big holes on this team? o-line? you have brewer Petrus and Boothe who proved he can play waiting in the wings,(plus the draft on the horizon) quick and tall Db's in THomas webster prince Tryon , linebacker play came on late last year so those young guys are there , d-line is solid, 4 running backs on the roster, with Hixon back you have enough receivers bring in one more in the draft and this team is right back to where it was last year? so whats the big issue, now they even added a big tall TE at a bargain price, I get the each fan has an a opinion aspect but sometimes they just need to sit back and keep things in perspective rather than complain left and right.

swimeasy
03-16-2012, 02:19 PM

Too many "experts" lol

Thanks Roanoke. Great article.

In honor of this thread and St. Patrick's Day a secret Irish prayer
that St. Patrick gave the Irish in 452 A.D. For over 15 centuries it
has been whispered in the ear of each Irish lad on the day before he
receives his first corkscrew:

"For those who are with us</p>

May God turn their fortunes bright.</p>

For those who are against us</p>

May God turn their hearts toward us.</p>

And if God cannot turn their hearts</p>

May He at least turn their ankles,</p>

So we may know them by their limp!"</p>

</p><blockquote><blockquote><blockquote><blockquote>

Happy St. Patrick's Day Giants fandom!
</p></blockquote></blockquote></blockquote></blockquote>

</p>

</p>

TrueBlue@NYC
03-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Quaite frankly, I haven't seen but a few posters (who are generally nutty anyway) question any of reeses' moves (or non moves) this offseason. </P>

In fact, I've seen more support of JR this offseason than any one prior, so this blog really isn't accurate. </P>

GameTime
03-16-2012, 03:04 PM
I don't understand why fans want old injured retreaded players. Ok lets get Steve Smith to come play in the slot. Move Cruz from the spot he was dominant for an old injured player who's a sellout to boot. Cruz in his second year as a starter...could see a "sophmore" slump. He's got a lot of film out there now. Teams are going to play him differently. I think its a bad move. And Burress. Its funny how when Burress was here he was apparently making Eli look good. But when he was with the Jets Sanchez was making him look bad. I don't really get it. Can Sanchez not throw a jump ball? Burress might hit his stride and be a monster but we need to leave the past in the past.</P>

so you defend Reese in this thread but yet you still arent satisfied with his handling of the Giants roster in another thread that you started...</P>

hmmm.....</P>

hungrrrry
03-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Actually, I don't see the similarity to last season...I was one clamoring for quality signings last year and how long it took to get anyone in....not this year. Myself and many others that also complained are prasiing the moves and the swiftness of them not to mention the cap-friendliness of them. Sure, I would like to see Steve Smith back in blue, if he is 100% healthy...who wouldn't he was Eli's security blanket on 3rd down...but hey, we were pretty good on third down in 2011, so what if we got our 1st down on a 1st or 2nd down play....I like that even better!!! If Mario stayed, awesome! It would be nice if Jernigan, Bardin or Thomas answered the call...being on the outside looking in, who knows if they will?

Nope, this year, everything is working out nicely so far...the writer of this article is smoking dog ****

Raptor22
03-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Just curious, how many Superbowl winners in the last decade have made big splashes in Free Agency?

Short answer: None, really.

Look at our own 2 superbowls: Kawika Mitchell, and then David Baas/Steve Weatherford.

Teams that either have the cap room or feel the necessity to make big splashy moves in free agency are by necessity thin and poor performers in the draft.

We're in cap hell year after year because our scouting department is arguably the best in the league, and management makes a point of retaining the young talent it drafts. That gets expensive when the talent is good.

I also disagree that this team is replete with holes. The O-line is continually being re-loaded (as evidenced by the fact that he's getting quality O-linemen at high value every draft). The defense will be healthy. The only hole was TE, which Reese filled.

Capricious fans need the calm the hell down.

GMENAGAIN
03-16-2012, 05:00 PM
<FONT size=4>the thing is you cant win a sb every year that way</FONT>. eventually it catches up with you. this whole oline needs to be revamped and the defense needs some upgrades.

</P>

Please explain what JR should be doing different so that we can win a sb every year.</P>

Flip Empty
03-16-2012, 11:18 PM
I don't get why there are so many calls to draft a TE early and pick up another WR.

BlueSanta
03-16-2012, 11:29 PM
I can sit here and list all the guys I like in this draft, all the guys I hope we get. And yet, if reese decides to go for completely other players, even when all the guys I like are available I would say "he knows more than me" and welcome our new guys.

I love the comment above about us having 15 Penn St LBs if the fans had a say. So true.