PDA

View Full Version : ARTICLE/TALK: Hot Button Eli vs Romo

DragonSoul
12-07-2011, 03:46 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/hot?id=7322110
I've had Eli Manning and Tony Romo on my list of elite quarterbacks for several years, but I've usually rated Romo over Manning.

This year, I've sided with Manning even though they're right next to each other in my rankings. What has put Manning over Romo this season has been his ability to command the fourth quarter.

In a season of fourth-quarter comebacks, Manning has been the best. Like Romo, he has four fourth-quarter comebacks. He has a total of five game-winning drives, one more than Romo. Romo might have tied Manning on Sunday had Jason Garrett not called timeout and wiped out Dan Bailey's game-winning field goal, but that is an argument for another time.

Statistically, Manning is the best fourth-quarter thrower in football.

In fourth quarters, Manning has a league-best 120.5 passer rating. He completes 67.2 percent of his passes in the fourth quarter, and his yards per attempt is at 9.6. He has 13 fourth-quarter touchdown passes. The next closest is Tom Brady at 10.

Eli is having a Peyton Manning-like season in the fourth quarter.

Even though the Giants lost to the Green Bay Packers on Sunday, Eli was able to match Aaron Rodgers pass for pass in a great football game in which Rodgers got the last possession to get a game-winning field goal drive.

Manning and Romo will meet twice over the final four weeks of the season, but Manning enters these meetings with a little edge. He has won four of the past five games against Romo.

Both quarterbacks have made the best out of bad situations. Romo has a young offensive line. Manning has played behind an offensive line that got too old and now is filled with injuries. Both quarterbacks have missed key receivers because of injuries. Mario Manningham has been in and out of the lineup of late. Miles Austin has been in and out of the lineup for the Cowboys.

With a 6-6 record, Manning will have to play his best for the Giants to close the one-game advantage the Cowboys hold in the race for the NFC East title. During his Super Bowl season, Manning showed he has the ability to get hot at the right time. He's been hot most of this season.

Dallas' loss Sunday to the Cardinals -- no fault of Romo's, by the way -- gave the Giants a chance to climb back in the NFC East race. Manning's edge over Romo in my quarterback rankings isn't enough to favor the Giants over the Cowboys this Sunday, but Manning gives them a chance to win.

We'll see how both quarterbacks sort it out on the field Sunday night.

=================================
@ the moment Eli is at 65% of the votes.

DragonSoul
12-07-2011, 03:49 PM
excerpt....

"This year, I've sided with Manning even though they're right next to each other in my rankings. What has put Manning over Romo this season has been his ability to command the fourth quarter."

That proves that Clayton does not pay attention, or do his H.W. as that is the one thing Eli was known for and showed early on. I guess we forgot about the SB for instance.

Giantsin04
12-07-2011, 04:05 PM
I think it is a pretty fair article. He still gives Romo too much credit, like most do because of where he plays, based on actual accomplishments in his career. But overall, pretty fair.

Harooni
12-08-2011, 04:17 AM
Am I the only Giant fan that respects Romo's play? sure he isnt accurate all the time and he doesnt set his protection up as well as Eli does. However the kid makes plays out of the pocket and he isnt scared to step up and take a lick . when we flush him outside the pocket i get a little nervous. (remember he was hand picked by Parcels)

I feel that Eli has in fact stepped his game up this season,even with a spotty oline, he seems to make some great throws and seems more accurate to me then ever.

DragonSoul
12-08-2011, 06:54 AM
To me its all about the clutch, and for awhile, more like when he had that botched snap they (he) always seems to find a way to lose it.

I have no issues with him, and will say he is pretty tough and doesn't really complain unlike many other qbs.

Yet I am more then happy with Eli.

GameTime
12-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Am I the only Giant fan that respects Romo's play? sure he isnt accurate all the time and he doesnt set his protection up as well as Eli does. However the kid makes plays out of the pocket and he isnt scared to step up and take a lick . when we flush him outside the pocket i get a little nervous. (remember he was hand picked by Parcels)

I feel that Eli has in fact stepped his game up this season,even with a spotty oline, he seems to make some great throws and seems more accurate to me then ever.
</P>

I respect Romo. He moves out the pocket and that "can" kill the Giants. The secondary has a hard time covering foe 3 to 4 seconds let alone 7 to 8. He seems to throw the ball up willy nilly often but iwhen ti comes down most times its right on. </P>

With he and Witten you can never count Dallas out. </P>

With that said I fell Eli is a superior QB overall. Romo is more athletic but thats about his only advantage.</P>

</P>

BlueBlitzer
12-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Romo had His best chance in 07. ( And His WR didn't decide to play Idiot Roulette, like Plaxico who whacked Himself. )He had all His weapons.

SweetZombieJesus
12-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Harooni: Hand picked by Parcells? He was an undrafted free agent. He rode the pine for 3 1/2 years behind the likes of Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, Vinny Testaverde, and Drew Bledsoe (it was when the Giants knocked Bledsoe out in 2006 that Romo came in).

And it was Sean Payton, not Bill Parcells, who fought to have him on the roster.

rebelfan1966
12-08-2011, 11:19 AM
I question Romo's mental stability. He once had Carrie Underwood, and let her slip away. That was 1000x worse than fumbling the snap on the FG attempt.