PDA

View Full Version : As of Thursday, the Giants have this much cap room left...

giantsfan420
03-17-2012, 03:05 PM
After all of our re-signings of our players and a few FA's, we have over 2.3 million available.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/16/updated-salary-cap-information-for-all-32-teams/?module=HP11_hot_topics

I assume there may be one more player cut or restructure.

On a related note, I have seen people say the TV revenue cap bonus will happen 2014, it will actually occur in 2013 for many teams. And the cap could go up to 135 million, which is significant for us as it gives us a LOT more room for some of our key players.

Also, one more side note. I saw a poster say Steve Smith was taking a physical for STL, if some one could post a link, because I have searched through every reportable source and there is absolutely no mention of it. Even in FA player databases that list every FA and recent activity, Steve Smith has had no action or workouts. So hope could still be alive...for those of us that want him here. I'm open to seeing if JJ or Barden could step up too, just saying.

Flip Empty
03-17-2012, 03:15 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/statuses/180395635508383744

@AdamSchefter:
former Eagles/Giants WR Steve Smith undergoing physical in St. Louis.

giantsfan420
03-17-2012, 03:22 PM
thank you. i'm guessing nothing worked out bc the st.luis newspapers and espn fa tracker and nfc west blogs from espn writers have absolutely nothing on this and the rams have been in contact with a bunch of wr's, none of which lister were smith...odd...

edit- and i guess the physical thing doesn't matter much really bc peyton has taken physicals for all three teams left in the hunt for him.

giantman8493
03-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Smith is garbage now. Get over it we have Cruz.

Flip Empty
03-17-2012, 03:50 PM
He's garbage because... he left the Giants?

Hard to call his playing ability garbage when he was hurt for most of last season.

ebick
03-17-2012, 03:58 PM
After all of our re-signings of our players and a few FA's, we have over 2.3 million available.</P>

Is it just me or is that like next to nothing......Still need to sign Goff, plus our upcoming draft picks, among other things.....</P>

Flip Empty
03-17-2012, 04:08 PM
After all of our re-signings of our players and a few FA's, we have over 2.3 million available.</P>

Is it just me or is that like next to nothing......Still need to sign Goff, plus our upcoming draft picks, among other things.....</P>
Yeah, it seemingly puts Jacobs out of reach.

ashaddyt2269
03-17-2012, 04:09 PM
The cap is going up next year and again in 2014 so cap space is not that big a deal thats why you are seeing all the one year deals all over the league because if a guy pans out they will pay them next year when they actually know the cap number. As for us having x amount of dollars it is different everywhere you look and thats because no one knows besides our front office and the league and all they have to do is some creative number moves and it changes. Nuf Said.../

giantsfan420
03-17-2012, 04:11 PM

thats why i said i think we might have a player cut or restructure and it could be someone we wouldnt think of...maybe corey webster? it has to be somebody that if we cut, the dead money won't reduce how much goes to the cap. i know webster makes like 8-9 mil a year. we just re-signed t2 and have prince, plus when we were re-signing all those corners something struck me as odd...it could be webster...

ashaddyt2269
03-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Nah, Web stays till next year then if prince is coming along and t2 stays healthy and resigned to a real deal not the crazy 13 mil roster bonus then web goes

ashaddyt2269
03-17-2012, 04:16 PM
A better chance is that Canty either restructures or gets traded he is making way to much he is good but not great and he is making great money not just good money.

giantsfan420
03-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Nah, Web stays till next year then if prince is coming along and t2 stays healthy and resigned to a real deal not the crazy 13 mil roster bonus then web goes

thats the thing tho, with t2's contract, we're essentially paying him webster money at corner if we keep him.

this is actually adding up now. i bet we restructure webster or release him. then we'll go with t2 prince and those 5 additional depth corners, maybe even draft one early. if t2 handles it, we keep him, if not, we'll have prince a draft pick, and all those depth guys.

think about it. we stocked up on corners big time. why? we're also near the cap limit, and we'll need to sign draft picks, maybe even another FA. there's absolutely no way to do it unless we get like 8-9 mil added to our cap...not saying i want to but webster may have to be a casualty.

who else could it be?

rolle would only save us like 3 mil bc of dead money.
canty i'm unsure of, it could be him...
maybe trade osi?

reese is working on it so i know he'll do whatever hurts the team the least but gives us flexibility...

edit-ashad yea it could be canty i agree. its gonna have to be someone that dead money doesn't make cutting pointless.

Spizi
03-17-2012, 04:32 PM
After all of our re-signings of our players and a few FA's, we have over 2.3 million available.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/16/updated-salary-cap-information-for-all-32-teams/?module=HP11_hot_topics

I assume there may be one more player cut or restructure.

On a related note, I have seen people say the TV revenue cap bonus will happen 2014, it will actually occur in 2013 for many teams. And the cap could go up to 135 million, which is significant for us as it gives us a LOT more room for some of our key players.

Also, one more side note. I saw a poster say Steve Smith was taking a physical for STL, if some one could post a link, because I have searched through every reportable source and there is absolutely no mention of it. Even in FA player databases that list every FA and recent activity, Steve Smith has had no action or workouts. So hope could still be alive...for those of us that want him here. I'm open to seeing if JJ or Barden could step up too, just saying.

Well according to that netplus guy "anyone who thinks they know what the cap situation is doesn't know what they're talking about" haha it's public information

ashaddyt2269
03-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Yea I guess we get rid of one of them but I see a trade more likely, both Web and Canty are still really strong players I think a 2 or 3 for either of them would work.

BlueBlooded1979
03-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Healthy T2 or not Webster is the best corner on this team with a palatable contract compared to other cover corners. Barring a significant drop off in his skills he isn't going anywhere.

The rookie pool is built into whatever teams are reporting as cap availability since the number is established right after the SB.

Flip Empty
03-17-2012, 06:26 PM
this is actually adding up now. i bet we restructure webster or release him.
Wow, enough with the madness. Cut Bradshaw and Jacobs and now this? Webster is already underpaid; he isn't going anywhere.
A restructure is possible as his contract is nearly all base.

giantsfan420
03-17-2012, 07:02 PM
flip- the two rb's we had made 10 mil. i was asking if it made sense to redistribute the money allotted to the rb's into the OL bc we were a heavy pass team.
and
dont take it out of context of my entire post.

i said, it adds up bc we signed a whole slew of corners, i wondered why at the time. then we gave t2 that big deal if we keep him past year 1 of it. im just throwing it out there that maybe reese did that bc of the cap situation and knowing we might have to change things up. he did say the team would be different next season. webster i believe makes 8 or 9 mil a season. we're 2.3 under right now with the draft class.

rolle and canty have a lot of dead cap money if we were to release them. i am unsure about webster but if we need cap space, would it make sense to release canty or rolle if it only saved us 3 mil? what if releasing webster saves us 9 mil to the cap??

im just thinking out loud i guess. truth be told i dont even know if that cap number is exactly correct but its from nfl.com so i'll base the number off their reporting.

eli, dd, rolle, i dunno who else restructured. we're going to have to restructure or release somebody...i know webster is our best cover guy. but maybe reese gave t2 that contract knowing that we may have to cut webster? i dunno. but we did give t2 that contract, we have prince, and then reese re-signed like 4 or 5 depth corners...that doesn't make sense really.

but yeah if we didnt cut or restructure webster it'll have to be another player i'm assuming...

Flip Empty
03-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Yeah, fair enough; something to talk about, I suppose.

Webster only has two years left on his deal so we could be loading up on corners in preparation of his departure?
And with the way his contract is structured, I don't even think he's releasable.

giantsfan420
03-17-2012, 08:09 PM

Webster only has two years left on his deal so we could be loading up on corners in preparation of his departure?
And with the way his contract is structured, I don't even think he's releasable.

if hes only got 2 yrs left he'd def be releasable. there isnt a contract you cant get out of in the nfl if ur a owner. it just doesnt make sense sometimes bc of the dead money. but since he only has 2 yrs and generally we front load the contracts, i'd imagine most the guaranteed money is already paid out. im gonna look at his contract tmrw or something or maybe someone knows the details.

behind eli and maybe rolle/canty, webster makes the most money.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-17-2012, 08:18 PM
LOL are you guys REALLY talking about Webster going...... you guys are nuts........ Webster is worth EVERY DAMN PENNY

Top 5 corner in the league(or damn close to it) is overpaid?

Unreal.....

Flip Empty
03-17-2012, 08:57 PM

if hes only got 2 yrs left he'd def be releasable. there isnt a contract you cant get out of in the nfl if ur a owner. it just doesnt make sense sometimes bc of the dead money. but since he only has 2 yrs and generally we front load the contracts, i'd imagine most the guaranteed money is already paid out. im gonna look at his contract tmrw or something or maybe someone knows the details.

behind eli and maybe rolle/canty, webster makes the most money.
By "not releasable" I meant the cap hit would be too great.

LOL are you guys REALLY talking about Webster going...... you guys are nuts........ Webster is worth EVERY DAMN PENNY

Unreal.....

Hell no, I don't want him to go anywhere.

giantsfan420
03-18-2012, 12:36 AM

Unreal.....

do you even read the thread?

no one wants him to leave at least not me. he's our best cover corner. but besides eli, canty, and rolle he makes the most money. cutting canty and rolle saves us nothing bc of the dead cap money we'd get penalized for.

reese signed a bunch of depth corners, and gave t2 a big contract if we keep him past year 1, we have 2.3 mil under cap and a draft class to sign. i'm just thinking out loud that maybe reese signed all those depth corners, like 4 or 5 of them behind t2, that webster could be the guy we trade or release? thats all...thinking out loud, no need to do that "unreal" bs

lawl
03-18-2012, 01:47 PM

Unreal.....

do you even read the thread?

no one wants him to leave at least not me. he's our best cover corner. but besides eli, canty, and rolle he makes the most money. cutting canty and rolle saves us nothing bc of the dead cap money we'd get penalized for.

reese signed a bunch of depth corners, and gave t2 a big contract if we keep him past year 1, we have 2.3 mil under cap and a draft class to sign. i'm just thinking out loud that maybe reese signed all those depth corners, like 4 or 5 of them behind t2, that webster could be the guy we trade or release? thats all...thinking out loud, no need to do that "unreal" bs

Pass rushers and cover guys are the most important guys on defense, that's why we signed all these guys. Out of all the CBs on our roster, Webster is the only guy that doesn't have any question marks. We know what we are getting out of Cweb next year, and it's a damn good player at a very valuable position.

Cutting Cweb and Jacobs in the same offseason would take a toll on our lockerroom leadership. This is something I've overlooked and thought of as meaningless in the past, but it definitely matters.