PDA

View Full Version : Manningham to 49ers

giantman8493
03-18-2012, 12:31 AM
Oh well.. 2 year deal

giantman8493
03-18-2012, 12:32 AM
Sorry I forgot you guys like sources. this is from profootballtalk twitter.

ProFootballTalk ? @ProFootballTalk Reply Retweet Favorite ∑ Open
Mario Manningham agrees to two-year deal with 49ers, per league source.

Bones911
03-18-2012, 12:37 AM
Oh well.. 2 year deal

Come on man you knew he was leaving. My Dog knew he was leaving.

bELIeve_in_Giants
03-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Just surprised it wasn't the Rams. Now, will his QB be Alex Smith or Peyton Manning?

giantman8493
03-18-2012, 12:40 AM
Oh well.. 2 year deal

Come on man you knew he was leaving. My Dog knew he was leaving.Sure but I was still hoping that maybe he would come back. If the price was right I am sure that everyone would want him back.

jomo
03-18-2012, 12:42 AM
Just surprised it wasn't the Rams. Now, will his QB be Alex Smith or Peyton Manning?If it is Alex Smith, it will <U>not</U> be a match made in heaven!

chizz
03-18-2012, 12:44 AM
i thought he would want a long term deal

giantyankee1976
03-18-2012, 12:47 AM
let's be serious.

with their Defense, the Whiners are a QB and a WR or two away from serious contention.

I hate, or dislike greatly, Jimmy "Handshake" Harbaugh, but his kool-aid must taste great.

As for 82, peace.

Nicks and Cruz, to me, are our permanent set-pieces.

giantman8493
03-18-2012, 12:50 AM
Just surprised it wasn't the Rams.* Now, will his QB be Alex Smith or Peyton Manning?If it is Alex Smith, it will <U>not</U> be a match made in heaven!But if it is peyton then this could be very interesting. He would probably be the number two there right?

cornerback30
03-18-2012, 12:54 AM
What's the money like,he could have took a lil less to stay here for that.

giantman8493
03-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Thats what I was thinking too. Twitter did not say that yet. Im sure someone will post it when they see it.

alau53
03-18-2012, 12:59 AM
you wont hear tom coughlin on sidelines tell his players dont get beat by davis or moss..dont worry about miss crabtree or manningham...they play this season

Desepx
03-18-2012, 01:02 AM
let's be serious.

with their Defense, the Whiners are a QB and a WR or two away from serious contention.

I hate, or dislike greatly, Jimmy "Handshake" Harbaugh, but his kool-aid must taste great.

As for 82, peace.

Nicks and Cruz, to me, are our permanent set-pieces.

lol'd

great post.

GMenNY21
03-18-2012, 01:08 AM
you wont hear tom coughlin on sidelines tell his players dont get beat by davis or moss..dont worry about miss crabtree or manningham...they play this season9ers got some nice weapons at wr now.. we will see u soon Rio!!!! Prepare yourself

dave56dj
03-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Why in gods name would he take less? You think the gmen love him more then any other team - their FO is filled with business men just like every other GM - in fact they are even more shrewd and just as nasty - O'hara / Suebert - cut - along with any other player who is old/ not living up to contract or hurt. We gave him a shot when we drafted him and now its time for him to move on - when players can get cut at a moments notice its almost insulting to tell a player to come back for less for your team. This league doesn't allow for loyalty until ink is signed and games are played.

Players only wanna win once the contracts are signed - and with parody in the league you certainly cant tell me that a team who was in last place cant turn it around quickly. Not to mention san fran already looks great, and MM has been expressing an interest to play in warm weather for a while.

We couldn't pay him like a 1 or 2 and he is deserving of that - at least 2 type pay.

If peyton does go there it would seem like they are the strongest in the NFC - that said it sure seemed like the ealges were the same last year - or the heat in the nba or any other team stacked in the offseason and yet those teams dont always live up to expectations.

giantsfan420
03-18-2012, 01:40 AM
do u think MM signing with them has anything to do with peyton? like peyton asking eli about MM's game and SF seeing the success he had with eli and that he'd have success with peyton?

peyton at qb, mm, randy moss, and vernon davis is a pretty nasty receiving core

BigBlue1971
03-18-2012, 01:44 AM
do u think MM signing with them has anything to do with peyton? like peyton asking eli about MM's game and SF seeing the success he had with eli and that he'd have success with peyton? peyton at qb, mm, randy moss, and vernon davis is a pretty nasty receiving core</P>

</P>

yea i would think they have conversations like that! i think Mario would be a good target for Peyton!</P>

in fact he could be the #1 guy on that team!</P>

Flip Empty
03-18-2012, 01:46 AM
do u think MM signing with them has anything to do with peyton? like peyton asking eli about MM's game and SF seeing the success he had with eli and that he'd have success with peyton?

peyton at qb, mm, randy moss, and vernon davis is a pretty nasty receiving core
Crabtree, too. With Peyton there they could be explosive.

It'd be fitting if Peyton finally gets one of Eli's cast-offs rather than the other way around (Lorenzen and Sorgi).

Manning to Manningham 2.0.

At least that's what Rio must be hoping for.

heavyhitter
03-18-2012, 01:50 AM
Anybody know the details of the contract?

Overdrive92
03-18-2012, 01:52 AM
Wait until the world realizes that Manningham is nothing without Eli. And that he's really not that good. Remember Steve Smith? Exactly.

Point is, Manningham is replaceable. There are tons of Mario Manningham's in this league. Eli made him look better than he really is.

heavyhitter
03-18-2012, 01:53 AM
Just surprised it wasn't the Rams. Now, will his QB be Alex Smith or Peyton Manning?I think Peyton signs w/ the Titans, don't ask why.

Flip Empty
03-18-2012, 01:54 AM

Nothing released yet other than the length (2 years).

I'm gonna take a stab and say 2/9.5

Axels15
Wait until the world realizes that Manningham is nothing without Eli. And that he's really not that good. Remember Steve Smith? Exactly.

Point is, Manningham is replaceable. There are tons of Mario Manningham's in this league. Eli made him look better than he really is.

Unless, of course, it's Peyton throwing to him lol

rickker20
He is stuck with Alex Smith. Payton is not going to the 49ers. He is going to the Titans.

TheEnigma
03-18-2012, 01:56 AM
Manningham COULD be the #1 on that team in time but I think Moss and Crabtree will be ahead of him for now.

Crabs already knows the playbook while the 49ers FO was proclaiming Moss was his old self so I think MM starts at #3 and if the other two drop off, then he gets higher up the depth chart.

Flip Empty
03-18-2012, 01:57 AM

Steve Smith was hurt all last year.
Peyton does the same with his receivers. If he goes to SF, MM won't miss a beat.

giantsfan420
03-18-2012, 01:57 AM
Just surprised it wasn't the Rams.* Now, will his QB be Alex Smith or Peyton Manning?I think Peyton signs w/ the Titans, don't ask why.

thats what i hope for just so the competition in the nfc isn't even tougher, but my gut is telling me SF. i dont know if SF would sign MM to bolster their offense with alex smith at the helm. he isnt a good downfield passer, peyton is. same with randy moss. they signed both those wr's after having that private secretive workout with peyton. just seems like they are adding players on that offense with peyton running it, not alex smith.

think about that for a minute. really think about that. would rany moss and MM be the guys u sign to improve an offense led by alex smith????

i wouldnt think so...i believe alex smith was one of the worst passers in the league on passes 20 yards or more. the 9ers were notorius for small ball even more so than the pats...their TE was their one deep threat really...

G-Men Surg.
03-18-2012, 01:58 AM
Good for him, hope nothing but the best for him except when they play us !

heavyhitter
03-18-2012, 02:04 AM
Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, Davis. Alex Smith has got a nice little arsenal of receivers to throw to that's for sure.

heavyhitter
03-18-2012, 02:08 AM

Nothing released yet other than the length (2 years).

I'm gonna take a stab and say 2/9.5http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z46/kcochran777/3d_emoticon_thumbUp-1.gif

heavyhitter
03-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Just surprised it wasn't the Rams. Now, will his QB be Alex Smith or Peyton Manning?I think Peyton signs w/ the Titans, don't ask why.

thats what i hope for just so the competition in the nfc isn't even tougher, but my gut is telling me SF. i dont know if SF would sign MM to bolster their offense with alex smith at the helm. he isnt a good downfield passer, peyton is. same with randy moss. they signed both those wr's after having that private secretive workout with peyton. just seems like they are adding players on that offense with peyton running it, not alex smith.

think about that for a minute. really think about that. would rany moss and MM be the guys u sign to improve an offense led by alex smith????

i wouldnt think so...i believe alex smith was one of the worst passers in the league on passes 20 yards or more. the 9ers were notorius for small ball even more so than the pats...their TE was their one deep threat really...I'm w/ you on Alex Smith, never been a fan of that guy.

TheEnigma
03-18-2012, 02:15 AM
What if the 49ers fail to land Peyton and in the process, Alex Smith gets an offer from another team or just decides to go elsewhere out of frustration? That would be hilarious.

egyptian420
03-18-2012, 02:22 AM

i wouldnt think so...i believe alex smith was one of the worst passers in the league on passes 20 yards or more. the 9ers were notorius for small ball even more so than the pats...their TE was their one deep threat really...I'm w/ you on Alex Smith, never been a fan of that guy.

that makes 3 of us...I've never believed in him, he's a game manager at best

Flip Empty
03-18-2012, 02:41 AM
What if the 49ers fail to land Peyton and in the process, Alex Smith gets an offer from another team or just decides to go elsewhere out of frustration? That would be hilarious.
ugh, they'd probably be forced to bring in someone like Jake Delhomme and then phase in Kaepernick. Moss wouldn't be too impressed.

giantsfan420
03-18-2012, 02:43 AM
Just surprised it wasn't the Rams.* Now, will his QB be Alex Smith or Peyton Manning?I think Peyton signs w/ the Titans, don't ask why.

thats my point tho, would the 9ers get these additions for a game manager??? i really dont think so...MM aint working well with a game manager not at all, same with Moss. this to me is getting peyton his toys

rebelfan1966
03-18-2012, 02:46 AM
Now.... I wish the 49ers would return the favor and send us Willis.

Flip Empty
03-18-2012, 02:50 AM
thats my point tho, would the 9ers get these additions for a game manager??? i really dont think so...MM aint working well with a game manager not at all, same with Moss. this to me is getting peyton his toys
It sure looks that way. This is either a last-gasp, final play for Peyton, or they already have him in the bag. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Spytheweb
03-18-2012, 02:57 AM
Manningham went for the big paycheck. In the next few years he's going to hate life, not getting the ball and after he gets cut, don't come back to NYGs. MM has gone to a running team, didn't he know that?

heavyhitter
03-18-2012, 03:12 AM
<h3 class="headline">Niners a dark horse in Manning race (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-free-agency/09000d5d827a7996/Niners-a-dark-horse-in-Manning-race)</h3>

miked1958
03-18-2012, 03:13 AM

Point is, Manningham is replaceable. There are tons of Mario Manningham's in this league. Eli made him look better than he really is.I kinda agree with you. But that was one heck of a catch in SB. Yes Eli dropped it right in just like the one one he looked right, looked left and then hit him down middle for td.. Alex or Peyton put the ball near him he will catch it more times then not

giantsfan420
03-18-2012, 03:18 AM
It sure looks that way. This is either a last-gasp, final play for Peyton, or they already have him in the bag. I'm leaning towards the latter.

i agree. the only thing i think thats even keeping peyton from already wearing a 9er hat and posing with the jersey at a press conference is that the 9ers are in the NFC. i cant think of any other reason. the 9ers have an easy division, made it to the NFC CG with Alex Smith...Tenn or Denver dont have the team SF does and that was before adding moss and mm.

hopefully peyton goes to the AFC but in my opinion, its a lock he'll be a 9er. still, bc eli's in the nfc, it'll be close.

imagine a nfc cg between peyton and eli???

swimeasy
03-18-2012, 03:21 AM

I really don't think Peyton will go to the 49ers or an NFC team out of respect for Eli. If there was real interest on PM's part, why didn't he visit SF when he had scheduled trips to Broncos and Cardinals. Instead, Harbaugh flies cross-country to see him work out at Duke. Smith and PM have the same agent and the whole 49er interest seemed to get a later start than the other teams courting PM. IMO, this just smacks of a ruse since Smith is balking on his contract offer and it also helps enhance the payout for PM.

I'm with others who have speculated PM goes to the Titans- PM, a Tenn alum, closer to family, opportunity to play and possibly future executive roles with the org a la Elway/Broncos.

miked1958
03-18-2012, 03:35 AM
Fans over on niners board are very excited. They are also guessing from what they were hearing mm got roughly 6m per.

miked1958
03-18-2012, 03:37 AM
Guess all those idiot trolls will be back on our boards to gloat.
There are loving it cause they say they stole one of our weapons.

They also think the signing was done for Peyton

MikeyMike01
03-18-2012, 03:40 AM
They're going to be expect Manningham to be their number 1 received and be sorely disappointed when his performance is no longer inflated by having Nicks and Cruz garner all the attention.

Flip Empty
03-18-2012, 03:44 AM
They're going to be expect Manningham to be their number 1 received and be sorely disappointed when his performance is no longer inflated by having Nicks and Cruz garner all the attention.
Come on, Manningham produced like a #1 when he was given a chance last season. Cruz was nowhere to be seen.
He can play.

With guys like Moss, Davis and Crabtree in SF, Manningham is walking in to a similar situation to the one he had in NY.

buffyblue
03-18-2012, 03:51 AM

Your take is that Alex Smith is a game manager and he has already proven to be more than that, just ask New Orleans Saints defense.

Whtaever the situation is, Mario Manningham was right to take more money and leave. Why would he stay for less? He is not going to be the number one on the 49ers, that is going to be Randy Moss.

I am thinking that 49ers are going to land Peyton Manning and if they do, they are going to be odds on favorite to go to SuperBowl. If they donít land Peyton Manning and stay with Alex Smith then they will still be formidable and will be hard to beat with their additions.

giantsfan420
03-18-2012, 04:08 AM
Come on, Manningham produced like a #1 when he was given a chance last season. Cruz was nowhere to be seen.
He can play.

With guys like Moss, Davis and Crabtree in SF, Manningham is walking in to a similar situation to the one he had in NY.

huh???? when was cruz "nowhere to be seen" ever last season? MM disappeared for long stretches of the season, completely baffled by that statement, its just horribly wrong. if anything cruz produced like a 1 last season, MM didnt AT ALL

Flip Empty
03-18-2012, 04:11 AM
He can play.

huh???? when was cruz "nowhere to be seen" ever last season? MM disappeared for long stretches of the season, completely baffled by that statement, its just horribly wrong. if anything cruz produced like a 1 last season, MM didnt AT ALL
I'm talking about 2010. Cruz was on IR and Manningham had that highly productive stretch at the tail-end of the season.

giantsfan420
03-18-2012, 04:15 AM
He can play.

I'm talking about 2010. Cruz was on IR and Manningham had that highly productive stretch at the tail-end of the season.

oh, yeah mm had a very nice stretch in 2010 yes thats true

titwio
03-18-2012, 06:36 AM
Going to definitely miss this guy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDfqxk_3BHU) I hope he rips it up in San Fran but don't see it being likely if Alex Smith is the guy throwing him the ball.

Was always a fan since the Wolverine days...Best of luck.

bigblue5611
03-18-2012, 06:51 AM
http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1168781&nid=5862968&fhn=1

miked1958
03-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Niner fans say if this was done to sign Peyton then the giants better be worried about Manning to Manningham2.

miked1958
03-18-2012, 09:24 AM
I say the niners should be more worried about manning to Cruz
Manning to nicks
Manning to Bennett
Manning to JJ
Manning to AB
Manning to Scott
Manning to Ballard
Manning to barden
Manning to JJ
Manning to Hixon

miked1958
03-18-2012, 09:25 AM
That's what they need to be concerned with. Manning will be even better this year then he was last yr. thats Deadly

titwio
03-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Niner fans say if this was done to sign Peyton then the giants better be worried about Manning to Manningham2.

If they don't sign Peyton I'd feel really bad for MM and the rest of their weapons that Alex Smith can't handle, distribute and utilize properly.

Redeyejedi
03-18-2012, 10:13 AM
This is a great signing for the 49ers. He will stretch the field and give Crabtree some more room underneath. They can use Moss as the 3rd receiver put Crabtree in the slot. There a better team on paper for sure

Flip Empty
03-18-2012, 10:20 AM

If they don't sign Peyton I'd feel really bad for MM and the rest of their weapons that Alex Smith can't handle, distribute and utilize properly.
Alex Smith is a free agent - who knows what happens should they lose both QBs.

Harooni
03-18-2012, 10:26 AM
now if they got peyton too they would be scary.

juice33s
03-18-2012, 10:37 AM
Just surprised it wasn't the Rams.* Now, will his QB be Alex Smith or Peyton Manning?
More like Colin kaepernick or manning....smith is a FA currently visiting the dolphins

Aperspective
03-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Wish we did not let him walk.

titwio
03-18-2012, 10:42 AM

Miami Dolphins are hosting Alex Smith as we speak...If they fail to sign either (Peyton) then Colin Kaepernick will be the next in line.

NYGRealityCheck
03-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Best of Luck to Manningham.

Good Luck to SF on getting a decent QB for their bolstered receiving group on paper.

Harooni
03-18-2012, 12:01 PM
49ers should keep alex smith. look at eli you go through the growing pains and experience. i see alex getting better as the years go on.

LT_was_good
03-18-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm surprised he signed for only 2 years. I would have thought the Rams would have given him a longer-term deal, though I guess not.

chasjay
03-18-2012, 02:03 PM
49ers should keep alex smith. look at eli you go through the growing pains and experience. i see alex getting better as the years go on.

although not a QB, Tiki Barber would be an even better example than Eli

RoanokeFan
03-18-2012, 03:07 PM

[8-)]

blueomaha
03-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Manning to Manningham part 2 maybe...

Toadofsteel
03-18-2012, 03:37 PM
i agree. the only thing i think thats even keeping peyton from already wearing a 9er hat and posing with the jersey at a press conference is that the 9ers are in the NFC. i cant think of any other reason. the 9ers have an easy division, made it to the NFC CG with Alex Smith...Tenn or Denver dont have the team SF does and that was before adding moss and mm.

hopefully peyton goes to the AFC but in my opinion, its a lock he'll be a 9er. still, bc eli's in the nfc, it'll be close.

imagine a nfc cg between peyton and eli???

I'd rather see peyton go to denver or tennesee. Imagine, Eli vs Peyton, in the super bowl, which happens to be in new orleans this year (the hometown of the Manning family). The only thing that would be better is a giants-jets SB in the meadowlands.

chasjay
03-18-2012, 04:00 PM

[8-)]

just tryin' to mess back with Harooni a little bit - Tiki is Harooni's end-all, be-all and the Giants stuck with Tiki through the fumbleitis, etc. - and it is disingenuous and contrived to equate the development of Alex S. with Eli - no matter how subtly the attempt is made

I hope that clears up your confusion with my post

gmen46
03-18-2012, 04:28 PM

Yes, let's compare Alex Smith to Eli.

Because the arc of Smith's career is SO similar to that of Eli's.

I have to give it to you. You apparently have no fear of humiliating yourself on this board.

But you do bring humor to the world of Giants fans, so thanks for that!

Drez
03-18-2012, 06:57 PM
</P>

He's entering his 8th year in the league.</P>

Firenugget
03-18-2012, 07:01 PM
MM got his ring, now he wants more playing time and cash. That's cool. Can't fault the guy for that. Good luck Mario....Not too much though. [:P]

giantsforce
03-18-2012, 11:36 PM

Miami Dolphins are hosting Alex Smith as we speak...If they fail to sign either (Peyton) then Colin Kaepernick will be the next in line.Now we know what Mario meant when he said there are other great QB's out there!

alau53
03-21-2012, 03:32 PM

he got only $8M for 2 yrs..$3.5M season 1 guaranteed..couldnt gmen have afforded that

Harooni
03-21-2012, 09:12 PM
alex smith is just like a 2005-2006 eli. he has to have time to get better. he just might shock people like eli did.

derekunion28
03-21-2012, 09:24 PM
alex smith is just like a 2005-2006 eli. he has to have time to get better. he just might shock people like eli did.
come on roon you really believe that?....lol

Harooni
03-21-2012, 09:26 PM

not really, lol

but anything is possible some times it just clicks.

GmenFan1980
03-21-2012, 09:30 PM

not really, lol

but anything is possible some times it just clicks.

isn't he kinda clicking now lol? he has been in the league since 05 hasn't he?