PDA

View Full Version : Carolina Panthers Looking to trade RB Jonathan Stewart for a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick

CruzSoldier
03-19-2012, 03:59 AM
Espn Insider claims they are shopping him if this is true the Giants should jump all over this. Pro would be the guy is a beast and he only has a 3million cap hit but the con is he will be a free agent after the 2012 season. We then won't have to take a running back with our first pick we can use it on OL or Safety..

PRFan
03-19-2012, 04:22 AM
Prefer to use the 2nd or 3rd in a rookie RB if it comes to that or another position if someone of value drops.

Meanhothead
03-19-2012, 04:30 AM
He is only 24 years old

TheEnigma
03-19-2012, 04:48 AM
A 2nd and a 3rd rounder for a RB?

How about no (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lITBGjNEp08/)

miked1958
03-19-2012, 05:16 AM
His name has come up on this board last yr when AB was FA

Flip Empty
03-19-2012, 05:21 AM
He's in the final year of his contract and will be expensive to re-sign. The Giants would be giving up a high pick to acquire a player for one year. It wouldn't be worth it.

giantsfan420
03-19-2012, 06:12 AM
Wow u guys all say no? He's 24, NASTY, not expensive, and a 3rd? Id see if I could work out a contract that starts paying out what he'd want after we get that tv cap bonus.

Id be all over this, guys a more athletic bradshaw...wow. everyone just dismissed it...wonder if reese is thinking bout it...bshaw, jstew, and dscott would be NASTY

giantsfan420
03-19-2012, 06:14 AM
Plus with bshaws feet being a ? We could split the load and not lose a step...stewart was a top 3choice back a season or two ago, forget which year it was but he KILLED it

rainierjef
03-19-2012, 06:18 AM
no one is disputing his talent, but like enigma said not for a 2nd and a 3rd

titwio
03-19-2012, 06:23 AM
His name has come up on this board last yr when AB was FA

That was their other RB Deangelo Williams.

titwio
03-19-2012, 06:26 AM

I thought the title said 2nd "or" a 3rd...If so it's something to consider... Stewart is a special RB. I'd prefer to go through the draft but I wouldn't blame the Giants for considering it.

giantsfan420
03-19-2012, 06:27 AM

Is it a 2 and a 3rd or 2nd or a 3rd ...I wouldn't give up two picks but for a second...? A third and id be all over this

jparmer
03-19-2012, 06:42 AM
Espn Insider claims they are shopping him if this is true the Giants should jump all over this. Pro would be the guy is a beast and he only has a 3million cap hit but the con is he will be a free agent after the 2012 season. We then won't have to take a running back with our first pick we can use it on OL or Safety..

We don't have 3mill in cap space and we don't even have all our own guys signed yet. Besides we won't be spending a first round pick at 32. We got bradshaw in the 6th, scott in the 7th, why would we draft one high when there are other needs. Like say... Oline so we can stop complaining about out running game? Also there is Trent Richardson who will probably go top ten and after that there may not be a back taken till the second round.

GMENAGAIN
03-19-2012, 07:24 AM
I like the guy when he is healthy . . . . but he never seems to be healthy.

Flip Empty
03-19-2012, 07:40 AM
Wow u guys all say no? He's 24, NASTY, not expensive, and a 3rd? Id see if I could work out a contract that starts paying out what he'd want after we get that tv cap bonus.

Id be all over this, guys a more athletic bradshaw...wow. everyone just dismissed it...wonder if reese is thinking bout it...bshaw, jstew, and dscott would be NASTY
He'll be one of the top free agents next year - the Giants won't be able to bring him back. It'd be a waste of a pick.

And his meagre contract is probably still too large to fit under this year's cap.

hungrrrry
03-19-2012, 08:29 AM

He'll be one of the top free agents next year - the Giants won't be able to bring him back. It'd be a waste of a pick.

And his meagre contract is probably still too large to fit under this year's cap.I don't see the problem!!! Chances are, if we were interested, our people would talk to his people about restructuring so he fits well with our cap range for 2012 and get the contract settled before giving up a pick...especially with only one season on his current deal. No GM thinks like a fan.
I might possibly consider it for a 2nd but much more likely to do so for a 3rd and the reason being is that they are looking for Tolbert or Bush and would be more likely to improve their rungame with the acquisition of these players but they would need to get rid of Stewart but since he is under contract and a decent player they would be smart to try to get something from him instead of pay a 3rd string guy 2nd tier starter money.
If there are no desperate teams, they will have to go with a 3rd OR 4th. Case in point, Peyton Hillis only scored a one year $3 mil deal for 2012...I wouldn't say Stewart is worth any more so his demand for a contract would be workable...I think the Gmen have a chance to land him at a reasonable trade and contract cost....the big question is...Does our front office want him???

Flip Empty
03-19-2012, 08:38 AM

And his meagre contract is probably still too large to fit under this year's cap.I don't see the problem!!! Chances are, if we were interested, our people would talk to his people about restructuring so he fits well with our cap range for 2012 and get the contract settled before giving up a pick...especially with only one season on his current deal. No GM thinks like a fan.
I might possibly consider it for a 2nd but much more likely to do so for a 3rd and the reason being is that they are looking for Tolbert or Bush and would be more likely to improve their rungame with the acquisition of these players but they would need to get rid of Stewart but since he is under contract and a decent player they would be smart to try to get something from him instead of pay a 3rd string guy 2nd tier starter money.
If there are no desperate teams, they will have to go with a 3rd OR 4th. Case in point, Peyton Hillis only scored a one year $3 mil deal for 2012...I wouldn't say Stewart is worth any more so his demand for a contract would be workable...I think the Gmen have a chance to land him at a reasonable trade and contract cost....the big question is...Does our front office want him???
He's at 2.6 this year. If reports are to be believed, the Giants only have 2.3 to work with. Are you suggesting they try and get him to tear up his current contract and sign a new, long-term one?
The guy is coming off his rookie contract; you really think he's willing to forgo free agency?

Hey, if it's possible, I'd love for the Giants to go for it. I just don't see how it would be.

And also, this doesn't seem like something the Giants would do. Maybe as a desperation trade during the season, but during the off-season? Hmm.

I wonder if Denver will go for him. He's John Fox's guy, after all.

G-Man67
03-19-2012, 11:07 AM
a 2nd, please ... they are dreaming !! and then we have to pay him ... haha, never in a million years</P>

between the draft and FA and our current crop of RBs,we will find somebody to be our #2 ... not too worried</P>

Kruunch
03-19-2012, 11:32 AM
I think I'd do this for a 3rd.

If he has a mediocre season we can bail on him or re-sign him cheaply.

If he has a monstrous season, we have the inside track to a good back or we can let him go with no cap hit.

Although I think the idea of Robert Turbin excites people more then Jonathan Stewart does.

JesseJames
03-19-2012, 11:38 AM
it looks like we are going to see some games where AB is not 100% and then all we have is Ware, Scott and whoever we draft so why not get a guy like Stewart who is proven to be a damn good back. More than likely if we draft a RB he won't do much if anything his first year just like most backs.. I would do the Stewart deal if its doable....

JesseJames
03-19-2012, 11:41 AM

He's at 2.6 this year. If reports are to be believed, the Giants only have 2.3 to work with. Are you suggesting they try and get him to tear up his current contract and sign a new, long-term one?
The guy is coming off his rookie contract; you really think he's willing to forgo free agency?

Hey, if it's possible, I'd love for the Giants to go for it. I just don't see how it would be.

And also, this doesn't seem like something the Giants would do. Maybe as a desperation trade during the season, but during the off-season? Hmm.

if the Giants really want Stewart then Reese will find a way, good GMs do things like this all the time, money can always be found...

Flip Empty
03-19-2012, 11:46 AM

if the Giants really want Stewart then Reese will find a way, good GMs do things like this all the time, money can always be found...
Hah, sorry. Ignore my numbers. Only 1.3 of his contract would count towards the cap, not the full 2.6.
He could fit under the cap easy.

It would be an intriguing move, for sure.

MikeIsaGiant
03-19-2012, 12:08 PM
That's too much. We need those picks for a lot of our other problems

dayeh33
03-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Panthers just signed Tolbert... Stewart wold be worth it i think

Raptor22
03-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Hell No

The strength of this draft is in the mid rounds. Also, we don't want or need a RB with NFL mileage. Honestly, if the OL can gel, we'll be fine with Bradshaw, Brown, and Scott.

Kruunch
03-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Panthers just signed Tolbert... Stewart wold be worth it i think

I think Carolina jumped the gun.

I'd just wait until he's cut now.

TrueBlue@NYC
03-19-2012, 12:47 PM
I'd rather draft a RB in the 3rd round and know that I have him for 4 years garunteed than trade a valuable pick for a 1 year rental. </P>

You guys are WAY undervaluing that pick. And besides, if CAR says they want a 2nd or a 3rd, then that likely means they want a low 2nd round pick OR a HIGH (top 10) 3rd round pick. They wont accept the 32nd pick in the 3rd round.</P>

JRs' strength is the draft, why take away a chance at him doing what he does best? </P>

Kruunch
03-19-2012, 12:58 PM
I'd rather draft a RB in the 3rd round and know that I have him for 4 years garunteed than trade a valuable pick for a 1 year rental. </P>

You guys are WAY undervaluing that pick. And besides, if CAR says they want a 2nd or a 3rd, then that likely means they want a low 2nd round pick OR a HIGH (top 10) 3rd round pick. They wont accept the 32nd pick in the 3rd round.</P>

JRs' strength is the draft, why take away a chance at him doing what he does best? </P>

Yes and no.

When was the last time we had a good #3 pick?

Jernigan hasn't produced a wit yet, Chad Jones hasn't played a down, Beckum is a bust of a TE, and Ramses Barden is a total bust so far,

That takes us back to 08 when we drafted MM in the 3rd.

You can definitely get value at the 3rd but we haven't been particularly good with that pick of late.

Desepx
03-19-2012, 01:05 PM
wow

id give a 2nd or 3rd for this guy

lets get it done

BigBlue1971
03-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Stewart would be a steal of he can be had for a 3rd; however i would perfer his contract situation be sorted out before signing him!

I Bleed Blue
03-19-2012, 01:27 PM
He's in the final year of his contract and will be expensive to re-sign. The Giants would be giving up a high pick to acquire a player for one year. It wouldn't be worth it.

+1

Also, we have others guys who will demand big time money soon. We have to take care of our own first.

Aperspective
03-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Totally disagree. Bradshaw isnt 100%. Who behind him can step up right now that is proven? Stewart is an incredible pick up. Good chance this could be Bradshaw's last year. How many years can someone play on a foot that never heals. This allows us at 24 to pick our feature back. Give him the money next year if he has a good year.

Aperspective
03-19-2012, 01:46 PM
This.. makes sense.

TheEnigma
03-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Wow I can't believe I misread the title of the thread like that.

Anyway, it's very possible that the Panthers would make an exception on our 3rd and refuse the deal since it's pretty much an early 4th instead. We would probably have to give up our 2nd and I wouldn't like that since we're a team that builds itself through the draft.

ny06
03-19-2012, 02:27 PM
<SPAN>A 3rd round draft pick for <SPAN>Jonathan Stewart? Sign me up...</SPAN></SPAN></P>

MikeIsaGiant
03-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Oh I thought it said both.

I'd trade a 3rd rounder for him

CGYgiant
03-19-2012, 02:29 PM
They just want any compensation for him because they defneitly wont be able to sign him after this year. Who says we will? he'll ask Deagelo Williams money in the offseason... why not draft a capable RB in the draft who will come a whole lot cheaper?

MikeIsaGiant
03-19-2012, 02:33 PM
They just want any compensation for him because they defneitly wont be able to sign him after this year. Who says we will? he'll ask Deagelo Williams money in the offseason... why not draft a capable RB in the draft who will come a whole lot cheaper?

Because we're in desperate need for a 2nd back.

I hope you or no one else is assuming Scott or a new drafted RB will fill that void so quickly.

ESPECIALLY, since AB always has problems in the season with injuries

MattMeyerBud
03-19-2012, 03:05 PM
i'd drop a 3rd rounder for him... especially this year

BlueBlooded1979
03-19-2012, 03:14 PM

For the 96th pick ? Absolutely. For the 64th pick ? No

TheIncredibleErk
03-19-2012, 04:41 PM

well most teams trade upon the contingency that a new deal is worked out in order to finalize the trade. In my opinion Stewart is well worth a 2nd round pick, as we would not find a RB in the draft half as good as him for our 2nd. and he has great stats:

averaging 900 yards a season with a 4.8 ypc average over his 4 year career. and this is in limited time. and only 24 years old!!!

MattMeyerBud
03-19-2012, 04:43 PM

For the 96th pick ? Absolutely. For the 64th pick ? No

uhm.. what?

dayeh33
03-19-2012, 04:44 PM
He's definitely worth it.. He isn't too expensive and he is proven to be an affective back. He might have been the better back of the duo in Carolina

TheIncredibleErk
03-19-2012, 04:51 PM
he's definitly worth the 64th pick i dont know what you guys are smoking if you think differently. our 2nd round pick is a glorified 3rd rounder, we would be lucky to get him for that pick

(of course hes worth it if a long term deal can be done in order to complete the trade, which is common practice)

MattMeyerBud
03-19-2012, 05:04 PM
he's definitly worth the 64th pick i dont know what you guys are smoking if you think differently. our 2nd round pick is a glorified 3rd rounder, we would be lucky to get him for that pick

(of course hes worth it if a long term deal can be done in order to complete the trade, which is common practice)

na i wouldn't give a 2nd rounder for him

gongord
03-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Nasty Stewart is not. Injury prone as well and the value of RBS has dropped drastically. Maybe 4th rounder at best.

barran21
03-19-2012, 05:52 PM
We found Jacobs in the 4th round and Bradshaw in the 7th, they asking too much for injury prone RB..

G-Man67
03-19-2012, 05:58 PM
what's being missed here is that the Panthers are hoping that some team will pencil Stewart in as their #1, which even then, would probably be only worth a 3rd from that team</P>

despite AB ankles,Stewart would only be our #2</P>

and people saying 64th pick haslittle value are crazy ... anyone that thinks teams are built on 1st round picks ... just look at some rosters ...</P>

now listen, if the team says, well he's cheap, he'll be in his contract year, 2014 is on the horizon, we have a legit need for a #2 .... well then maybe a 4th you give up ... but it is just that RBs can be found, like AB was ... and it is the position where players wear out most quickly ....so i'd really hate to give up a pick</P>

JJC7301
03-20-2012, 12:57 AM
No, just improve the o-line and bring BJ back for less money. The RBs may not be going anywhere if the line isn't improved.

TrueBlue@NYC
03-20-2012, 01:17 AM

Yes and no.

When was the last time we had a good #3 pick?

Jernigan hasn't produced a wit yet, Chad Jones hasn't played a down, Beckum is a bust of a TE, and Ramses Barden is a total bust so far,

That takes us back to 08 when we drafted MM in the 3rd.

You can definitely get value at the 3rd but we haven't been particularly good with that pick of late.

Considering that all of our 3rd round picks, other than Jones, have stayed on the roster, in the very least filling out depth, shows that we've gotten good value for that pick. Also, MM and Tuck were 3rd rounders and they're both more valuable than steward.

If there were any chance of him staying with the team pst 1 year, then maybe, but you know that he's just a 1 year rental, and the pick is too high for that, at the RB position where out of the top 5 backs maybe 1 is a 1st rounder.

CruzSoldier
03-20-2012, 01:54 AM
Read the post it sez 2nd or a 3rd not both.

CruzSoldier
03-20-2012, 01:57 AM
I totally agree with you, i'm a GIANTS fan 100% but really he's alot better than Bradshaw .............Period

CruzSoldier
03-20-2012, 02:01 AM
I think they forget what he did to us over his Career does anyone remember the 206 yards he smashed us with? He has had some really big games at the staduim.

CruzSoldier
03-20-2012, 02:03 AM
No it wasn't it was a Panthers win at the Staduim 41-9 win and it was J. Stewart he rushed for 206 yards.

CruzSoldier
03-20-2012, 02:06 AM
Yes if they wouldn't have givin T2 such a good deal they would have plenty of money. I don't even remember making the playoffs with T2 as our starting corner, just watching him get beat all the time. All I know is we have 2 rings with ross as the Starter and those are the facts. T2 needs to thank his agent because they pull a fast one.