PDA

View Full Version : steve smith???

jints1964
03-19-2012, 11:57 AM
About 10 days ago I heard a rumor that our former Mr. Smith may be interested in returning to the Giants. He was reported as not being happy with eaglets. Can anyone confirm this. I know we're not real happy with the guy and we have Cruz ( our own great version of the guy I call the ghost, Wes Welker ). but it would be interesting. I'm always concerned about injuries like we had last year and I don't even like thinking about Cruz being injured but we don't know. If he did come back where would he fit in our roster and would Reese pay him what he thinks he's worth. He didn't last year. Oponions and remarks anyone. Please keep it clean I wanted to say some things but I respect our code on this site.

burier
03-19-2012, 11:58 AM
About 10 days ago I heard a rumor that our former Mr. Smith may be interested in returning to the Giants. He was reported as not being happy with eaglets. Can anyone confirm this. I know we're not real happy with the guy and we have Cruz ( our own great version of the guy I call the ghost, Wes Welker ). but it would be interesting. I'm always concerned about injuries like we had last year and I don't even like thinking about Cruz being injured but we don't know. If* he did come back where would he fit in our roster and would Reese pay him what he thinks he's worth. He didn't last year. Oponions and remarks anyone. Please keep it clean I wanted to say some things but I respect our code on this site.

I don't know what Steve Smith thinks he's worth at this point but he's not getting a lot of money regarless.

As far as where he'd fit on the Giants....

The bench sounds about right.

RoanokeFan
03-19-2012, 12:03 PM
About 10 days ago I heard a rumor that our former Mr. Smith may be interested in returning to the Giants. He was reported as not being happy with eaglets. Can anyone confirm this. I know we're not real happy with the guy and we have Cruz ( our own great version of the guy I call the ghost, Wes Welker ). but it would be interesting. I'm always concerned about injuries like we had last year and I don't even like thinking about Cruz being injured but we don't know. If he did come back where would he fit in our roster and would Reese pay him what he thinks he's worth. He didn't last year. Oponions and remarks anyone. Please keep it clean I wanted to say some things but I respect our code on this site.

Smith is a free agent looking for work. So far, the GIANTS haven't shown any interest but anything can happen.

Reese offered hi $1M last season with Smith coming off a microfracture. Smith took a more lucrative deal to play with the eagles. Smith played a few games and then re-injured the same leg, this time described as a bone bruise and went on IR.

Hard to say what Smith thinks he's worth at this point but it could be telling that no teams have signed him as of today. I think he worked out for the Rams a few days ago.

Morehead State
03-19-2012, 12:04 PM
I really don't know if Steve Smith can play anymore. That knee may be enough to keep him out of the league.</P>

He will probably get a non guaranteed contract from someone to come to camp and compete for a job. But a guy who probably can't be more than a #3 or #4 WR usually has to play ST's too.</P>

Not sure if SS's career isn't over. Hope not for his sake.</P>

RoanokeFan
03-19-2012, 12:09 PM
I really don't know if Steve Smith can play anymore. That knee may be enough to keep him out of the league.</p>

He will probably get a non guaranteed contract from someone to come to camp and compete for a job. But a guy who probably can't be more than a #3 or #4 WR usually has to play ST's too.</p>

Not sure if SS's career isn't over. Hope not for his sake.</p>

It does make you understand how fleeting celebrity can be

MikeIsaGiant
03-19-2012, 12:09 PM
I don't want him here.

I rather give jernigan a shot before I sign SS

Pakman
03-19-2012, 12:12 PM
So dumb...soooooo dumb. The Giants were trying to take care of him. He would have never been rushed back and he most likely would of been resigned to the Giants because Mannigham is gone.

Now no one wants him, McCoy didn't even like him, and now it's beginnings to look like its all over.

Diamondring
03-19-2012, 12:14 PM
I don't want him here.

I rather give jernigan a shot before I sign SSI agree with you and like Jernigan.

Morehead State
03-19-2012, 12:17 PM
So dumb...soooooo dumb. The Giants were trying to take care of him. He would have never been rushed back and he most likely would of been resigned to the Giants because Mannigham is gone. Now no one wants him, McCoy didn't even like him, and now it's beginnings to look like its all over.</P>

No they weren't. The Giants were acting is self interest. As they should be. I don't blame Smith on e bit for waht he did. He's a football player who wanted to play. The Eagles offered much mor money AND a chance to play. The Giants were offering a small contract and a trip to the PUP list.</P>

I don't blame any of the parties for what happened.</P>

Pakman
03-19-2012, 05:04 PM
So dumb...soooooo dumb. The Giants were trying to take care of him. He would have never been rushed back and he most likely would of been resigned to the Giants because Mannigham is gone. Now no one wants him, McCoy didn't even like him, and now it's beginnings to look like its all over.</P>

No they weren't.* The Giants were acting is self interest.* As they should be.* I don't blame Smith on e bit for waht he did.* He's a football player who wanted to play.* The Eagles offered much mor money AND a chance to play.* The Giants were offering a small contract and a trip to the PUP list.</P>

I don't blame any of the parties for what happened.</P>

I knew...as well as probably everyone else on here, that Smith screwed himself in the long term by signing that deal. A one year deal, that everyone knew would en up with nothing, was a horrible choice.

The opportunity cost will end up biting him in his ***. I couldn't care less what happens to him. I don't want him on the Giants, but if he's here I would obviously cheer for him, I rather not though.

RoanokeFan
03-19-2012, 05:38 PM
So dumb...soooooo dumb. The Giants were trying to take care of him. He would have never been rushed back and he most likely would of been resigned to the Giants because Mannigham is gone. Now no one wants him, McCoy didn't even like him, and now it's beginnings to look like its all over.</p>

No they weren't. The Giants were acting is self interest. As they should be. I don't blame Smith on e bit for waht he did. He's a football player who wanted to play. The Eagles offered much mor money AND a chance to play. The Giants were offering a small contract and a trip to the PUP list.</p>

I don't blame any of the parties for what happened.</p>

I knew...as well as probably everyone else on here, that Smith screwed himself in the long term by signing that deal. A one year deal, that everyone knew would en up with nothing, was a horrible choice.

The opportunity cost will end up biting him in his ***. I couldn't care less what happens to him. I don't want him on the Giants, but if he's here I would obviously cheer for him, I rather not though.

Actually, all we "knew" was he took a better deal. There was a swirl of controversey regaring how the move was handled but there is no question he had a better offer from the eagles. Using hindsight now to say we knew he was screwing himself is, well, re-writing history.

miked1958
03-19-2012, 08:00 PM
SS is not wanted or needed here any longer. Neither is Shockley, tiki, robbins, tabor, Mitchell, cofield, Boss Or plax.

Tiki retired and promptly ripped Eli and giants org say we would never win a SB with Eli. We went our and won the following season with 3 untested Backs.

Jermemy got hurt and thought we couldn't do without him and his complaining. He sat and watched as unknown Kevin Boss help us win SB.

Robbins, tabor and Mitchell all left after we won SB in 07 for what they thought were greener pastures. We went out and added a few pieces and won another SB while they were all never heard from again.

Toomer retires, plax shoots himself, boss and SS go for new teams in FA. Are WR corps look like a shambles.

We FO out and draft and add people like nicks, MM and Cruz to replace them and again go out and win another SB with young unproven guys.

miked1958
03-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Everytime we lose supposed irreplaceable guys we replace them and add a SB trophy.

Now we are faced again with replacing more guys that helped us win a title.. BJ, MM. Prob Ross, grant, goff kmac and others.

I think we will be fine as always. Plug in guys from within or the draft to fill the holes like we always have done without making a HUGE splash within FA. Bennett I don't consider a Hugh dollar signing.

We will replace Ballard with Bennett and Hopkins like he replaced boss and like boss replaced Shock.

We will replace BJ with Scott, brown and a draft pick. We replace the others same way and like always we wil, win another title for it

NYGRealityCheck
03-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Not happening. Reese is going to stick with Hixon, Barden, Jernigan and a possible draft pick.

Heck, they signed some WR named Dan DePlama, probably for preseason depth.

Gints123
03-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Smith is a slot receiver and we have Cruz. We need a deep guy, not another slot receiver

jomo
03-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Everytime we lose supposed irreplaceable guys we replace them and add a SB trophy. Now we are faced again with replacing more guys that helped us win a title.. BJ, MM. Prob Ross, grant, goff kmac and others. I think we will be fine as always. Plug in guys from within or the draft to fill the holes like we always have done without making a HUGE splash within FA. Bennett I don't consider a Hugh dollar signing. We will replace Ballard with Bennett and Hopkins like he replaced boss and like boss replaced Shock. We will replace BJ with Scott, brown and a draft pick. We replace the others same way and like always we wil, win another title for itChange is not something that we simply have to deal with. It is something that needs to be embraced and capitalized on. It is what great organizations in and out of sports are all about. We do a darn good job making change our ally. Go Blue!!

NY_Eli
03-19-2012, 08:45 PM
I think at this point Jernigan is going to be the number 3 guy, though I still wouldn't be opposed to signing SS for depth

Gimaniac
03-19-2012, 08:47 PM
SS took a physical with the Rams, then wasn't signed. Stick a fork in him, he's done.

freeoscar
03-19-2012, 08:57 PM
SS took a physical with the Rams, then wasn't signed. Stick a fork in him, he's done.

that really sucks for him. football is brutal - 2yrs ago he was a great #2 receiver, and now he will be lucky to sign for anything.
what i don't understand is the seemingly personal hatred for the guy. he's not like Tiki or Shockey or Burress who trashed the Giants upon leaving and selfishly put themselves ahead of the team. I never heard him say anything negative, and if the money were equal, there is no reason to think he wouldn't have returned to the Giants. He was a great player for the Giants, and if Reese & Co thought he would be a valuable contributor in the future, I'd love to see him back in Blue.

jomo
03-19-2012, 09:04 PM
I think at this point Jernigan is going to be the number 3 guy, though I still wouldn't be opposed to signing SS for depthI have nothing against SS for depth (assuming good health) but when you are that far down the chart you have to be a ST contributor and I just don't see that from Steve. He is just not a bruiser and is not the kind of guy who seeks contact..

NY_Eli
03-19-2012, 09:16 PM
I think at this point Jernigan is going to be the number 3 guy, though I still wouldn't be opposed to signing SS for depthI have nothing against SS for depth (assuming good health) but when you are that far down the chart you have to be a ST contributor and I just don't see that from Steve.* He is just not a bruiser and is not the kind of guy who seeks contact..

I guess that's true but in the past we've had guys like Jernigan and Moss that far down the depth chart with minimal contribution to special teams.

nhpgiantsfan
03-19-2012, 09:17 PM
If we offered him a dollar for every Steve Smith thread on these boards he'd come running.

dave56dj
03-19-2012, 09:25 PM
For the record DJ Shockley never played for the Giants and we never had a player named tabor - we did let Reggie Torbor leave as we did with cofield, manningham, smith and robbins. It's nto that these were greedy players its just that they are aware that football can end at any moment for a player and they need to get every penny they can out of it. So once the contract is signed then winning is the only thing - but not before then.

Adam Schefter reported that Reese would be open to talks of steve smith - so while many fans WOULD NEVER WELCOME him back - jerry reese doesn't care. If you are of value to him (worth the money and injury wise) he will sign you up. Thank god reese isn't as emotional as some on these boards.

Pakman
03-19-2012, 09:42 PM
So dumb...soooooo dumb. The Giants were trying to take care of him. He would have never been rushed back and he most likely would of been resigned to the Giants because Mannigham is gone. Now no one wants him, McCoy didn't even like him, and now it's beginnings to look like its all over.</p>

No they weren't.* The Giants were acting is self interest.* As they should be.* I don't blame Smith on e bit for waht he did.* He's a football player who wanted to play.* The Eagles offered much mor money AND a chance to play.* The Giants were offering a small contract and a trip to the PUP list.</p>

I don't blame any of the parties for what happened.</p>

Actually, all we "knew" was he took a better deal.* There was a swirl of controversey regaring how the move was handled but there is no question he had a better offer from the eagles.* Using hindsight now to say we knew he was screwing himself is, well, re-writing history.

Well I guess I'lll take that back. I knew he screwed himself (maybe not everyone else). To leave us for a one year contract with a team that would never resign him...which I "knew" from the start was a horrible choice.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. I'm glad he left.

NYfanatic
03-20-2012, 12:34 AM
Take him back for the Vet min. Maybe when he sees all the extra superbowl rings his teammates have, it will drive him to be back into a great slot receiver for Eli.

RoanokeFan
03-20-2012, 12:39 AM
I think at this point Jernigan is going to be the number 3 guy, though I still wouldn't be opposed to signing SS for depthI have nothing against SS for depth (assuming good health) but when you are that far down the chart you have to be a ST contributor and I just don't see that from Steve. He is just not a bruiser and is not the kind of guy who seeks contact..

I guess that's true but in the past we've had guys like Jernigan and Moss that far down the depth chart with minimal contribution to special teams.

Moss was an anomoly, Jernigan did nothing but ST play last season. He didn't do much, but that's all he was asked to do.