PDA

View Full Version : GIANTS' VICTOR CRUZ HIRES A NEW CONTRACT AGENT

RoanokeFan
03-19-2012, 09:17 PM
GIANTS' VICTOR CRUZ HIRES A NEW CONTRACT AGENT (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/03/giants_victor_cruz_hires_a_new.html)

"A word of caution before we get into this: none of what you're about to read
means Victor Cruz is about to make a strong push for a new contract or take a
hard stance in negotiations.

That being settled, the NFL Players Association's website shows a new agent
for the Giants (http://www.nj.com/giants)' wide receiver this
afternoon: Malik Shareef.</p>

If the name doesn't ring a bell for the average fan, it's because Shareef is
a relative newcomer to the agent biz. According to <a href="http://wlunews.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/another-good-draft-for-law-alumnus/">this
blog entry</a>, he graduated from law school in 2006.</p>

But Shareef has landed some high-profile clients in the past few years. He
was Joe Haden's agent when the Cleveland Browns' cornerback negotiated his
$50-million rookie deal. Shareef currently has five active clients: Arizona
Cardinals running back Ryan Williams (a second-round pick last year), Browns
safety David Sims (an undrafted free agent for the Giants last year), Houston
Texans cornerback Rashad Carmichael, New Orleans Saints linebacker Nate Bussey
and now Cruz.</p>

Cruz, who signed a marketing contract with IMG after the Super Bowl, recently
parted with the agent who signed him out of UMass. His girlfriend Elaina Watley
told the Wall Street Journal last month the lack of urgency in hiring a new
representative showed <a href="http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203986604577253801783696794.html">"he's
not looking to re-do his contract."</a> (Watley also told the Journal's Aditi
Kinkhabwala Cruz's first agent, Jack Huntington, "was awesome. <a href="https://twitter.com/#%21/AKinkhabwala/status/175227244900384768">We just
wanted to go in a different direction</a>.")</p>

Cruz is scheduled to earn $540,000 in base salary this upcoming season, so
eventually he will be looking to cash in on his newfound stardom. Despite the
change in agents, there are no indications he's going to make this an ugly
battle anytime soon."</p>

BlueReign
03-19-2012, 09:35 PM
I don't like this. I just get the gist that this agent is going to make him greedy.

RoanokeFan
03-19-2012, 09:38 PM
I don't like this. I just get the gist that this agent is going to make him greedy.

Did you read the article?

BlueReign
03-19-2012, 09:42 PM

Yes, I just don't believe it. I hope I'm wrong though.

GameTime
</P>

greedy is the wrong word. More like these players are oportunistic for the big payday. </P>

name me one player who is successful that is not</P>

really.....they all are to a degree....</P>

especially the upper tier players...</P>

Eli got a 100 million....how do you lable that????</P>

logan9839
You can't blame him. He is one hit from having his career end and making nothing. If I was him it would be very hard not to try for the money right now.

RoanokeFan
03-19-2012, 09:49 PM

Cruz has NO, NONE, NADA, ZILCH leverage. He has previously said he's going to play football and let his agent handle his contract. After the Osi debacle of last season, I'd like to think players on this team are more circumspect about airing dirty laundry in public.

As GameTime pointed out, players want to make as much money as they can within the relatively short window of opportunity that they have.

The article started out with a caveat about making assumptions and Cruz's girlfriend (also one of his advisors) said flat out he not trying to re-negotiate his contract.

Until something happens to indicate otherwise, how about we just take them at their word?

logan9839
03-19-2012, 09:50 PM
To be clear though, much respect for Cruz, you have not heard a word out of him. Just a great guy!

myles2424
03-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Is there of us that don't think we deserve more $$$ for the job we do?
So don't get sensitive when a player thinks he deserves more $$$, or when he hires a new agent.....Cruz is a great guy, but he has a family & football is his job at the end of the day.....

BlueReign
03-19-2012, 11:58 PM
Just to get it straight I'm not saying he's doing anything wrong. I fully understand the business aspect of football and I just don't want to see a good guy become a diva.

swimeasy
03-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Tbh, I was relieved it wasn't Rosenhaus.

I wonder if this move has more to do with marketing opportunities (like the IMG contract). Vic is certainly in the best media market to leverage this and let's face it, the camera loves him. Seems Shareef has a number of sports marketing affiliations and he has a pic of Cruz with sneakers on his twitter account.

RagTime Blue
03-20-2012, 12:47 AM
It's all about leverage. and the Giants can win games without him. I think Cruz has to be patient.

And it's not like he's making peanuts here. . .his $550k is more than DJax made last year.

Harooni
03-20-2012, 01:53 AM
i knew megatrons contract would make cruz think. damn

Diamondring
03-20-2012, 02:29 AM

Cruz has NO, NONE, NADA, ZILCH leverage.* He has previously said he's going to play football and let his agent handle his contract.* After the Osi debacle of last season, I'd like to think players on this team are more circumspect about airing dirty laundry in public.

As GameTime pointed out, players want to make as much money as they can within the relatively short window of opportunity that they have.

The article started out with a caveat about making assumptions and Cruz's girlfriend (also one of his advisors) said flat out he not trying to re-negotiate his contract.

Until something happens to indicate otherwise, how about we just take them at their word?
I think some of us shouldn't because we need to talk about this more. Even make some predictions of what is going to happen since life isn't always what it seems.

I Bleed Blue
03-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Just to get it straight I'm not saying he's doing anything wrong. I fully understand the business aspect of football and I just don't want to see a good guy become a diva.

A diva? Because he changed agents? Man, some of you are drama queens. He did nothing wrong here.

RoanokeFan
03-20-2012, 10:28 PM

Cruz has NO, NONE, NADA, ZILCH leverage. He has previously said he's going to play football and let his agent handle his contract. After the Osi debacle of last season, I'd like to think players on this team are more circumspect about airing dirty laundry in public.

I think some of us shouldn't because we need to talk about this more. Even make some predictions of what is going to happen since life isn't always what it seems.

What does that mean?

w_mann5
03-22-2012, 02:48 AM
Looking to cash in on new found stardom after a stellar college career and 1 good season with the Giants. Athletes these days. You can pay him 30 million per season, they are all going to go broke some day anyway.

calzonesays
03-22-2012, 05:33 AM
Looking to cash in on new found stardom after a stellar college career and 1 good season with the Giants. Athletes these days. You can pay him 30 million per season, they are all going to go broke some day anyway.

That's a popular misconception.

For every Travis Henry/Deuce McAllister who goes broke there are 1000s of professional athletes who are set for life. Only difference is we only hear about the ones who go broke.