PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Austin

Antwuan
03-20-2012, 01:33 AM
Marvin Austin is coming back he will be in 2nd season, he missed all of last season with a torn pectoral muscle.

Anyone here excited to see what Marvin Austin can bring to the Giants?

T-Murda84
03-20-2012, 02:12 AM
Hes been out of football for the past 2 years and had a lot of off the field issues in North Carolina and people act as if hes the second coming of Warren Sapp. We just have to wait and see....but I dont see him producing much because Its been a while sense he sniffed the field.

Martyr
03-20-2012, 03:01 AM
I hope he just stays healthy, getting into the dline rotation shouldn't be very hard for him then we all can get a good look at him playing

BigBlue9280
03-20-2012, 03:52 AM
Honestly, it's going to be like getting an extra draft pick in this draft class because we really can't count last year because he did not play a single snap last year. He has had an entire year to study, prepare, rehab, and get in shape for this season. Yes, he hasn't played a down of football in two years, but he is a 23-year-old kid that many considered a first round talent in last year's draft with a whole lot to prove. I think we already got two very capable starters at DT with Canty and Joseph, so another capable young body can never hurt. The Giants have several of 25 and under players that I think will be stars in this league for a lot of years: Nicks, Cruz, and JPP. I think Austin, along with Amukamara, can join that list if they show up to play this year.

dave56dj
03-20-2012, 03:57 AM
Probably need to split the difference here.

Linval was a second rounder and had full ota's and training camp and was almost never active.

Austin will get ota's and training camp - had a small one last year.

Right now our D tackle rotation is small - Benard is an FA (may come back again on the cheap) but im sure the hope is Austin can rotate in, but there is no guarantee he can. Next year will be a big learning year for him.

Captain Chaos
03-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Austin has great potential, think it will take a little time for him to achieve it. I think he will see significant playing time in the rotation; however, I don't think it will be a break out year. Probably more like Joseph who's second year was excellent.

slipknottin
03-20-2012, 09:38 AM
had a lot of off the field issues in North Carolina

According to the giants, who know far more about these things than us or the media, he was actually relatively clean off the field.

MattMeyerBud
03-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Marvin Austin is coming back he will be in 2nd season, he missed all of last season with a torn pectoral muscle.

i was excited last year

now im just interested....

i think its hard to come back after missing ur senior year in college, rookie year in pros and be effective

TuckYou
03-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Hes been out of football for the past 2 years and had a lot of off the field issues in North Carolina and people act as if hes the second coming of Warren Sapp. We just have to wait and see....but I dont see him producing much because Its been a while sense he sniffed the field.</P>

</P>

The NCAA wants to know who paid for travel and lodging formultiple trips toMiami, travels which were first mentioned on Austinís Twitter account. Austin has since taken down the Twitter account.</P>

Weíre told that Saunders was also on at least one trip to Miami as well as several other players.</P>

The NCAA is also interested in Austinís travel back and forth to Washington, D.C., his hometown.</P>

Austin has been questioned by investigatorsabout driving a car that belongs to former North Carolina defensive tackle Kentwan Balmer, a San Francisco 49ers 2008 first-round draft pick. </P>

Oh my God! He got plane tickets paid for and drove a car from a friend/ former player! What a bad person with crazy charater concerns! </P>

It may take him some time to get back to normal no doubt, but when he does, he will be better then Joseph.</P>

slipknottin
03-20-2012, 10:03 AM
It may take him some time to get back to normal no doubt, but when he does, he will be better then Joseph.</P>

Joseph and Austin are completely different types of players.

burier
03-20-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm excited. He's supposed to have a motor that never stops which would be nice as some other players on our team seem to stall from time to time.

RonJon
03-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Phil Simms mentioned him as someone Giants fans are really gonna be excited about as he is another terrific future pass rusher

buddy33
03-20-2012, 11:10 AM
What off the field problems does he have other than taking a ticket from an agent? He is a pro now and he can take all the tickets from an agent he wants.

He is only 23. It might take him a full camp and pre season to get into game shape and then he will a rookie out there. A rookie with tons of potential. A lot of rookies make good their 1st year.

It has been two years since he played, but he was working out and staying in shape last year. It's not like he is coming back from something as serious as Jones.

mainegiantsfan
03-20-2012, 11:12 AM
How are they completely different? .

mainegiantsfan
03-20-2012, 11:13 AM
I heard that also on the Fan a month or so back.

Kruunch
03-20-2012, 11:16 AM

Excited, yes.

Expectant, no.

zimonami
03-20-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm excited by his potential... now, stay healthy and work hard.

Raptor22
03-20-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm very excited.

Before the draft, scouts were saying that he could be that year's Suh. Austin manages to combine the best traits of the top 2 DT's in 2009's draft (Suh's power with McCoy's movement skills).

He is going to be a disruptive manimal on passing downs, and raise a LOT of eyebrows... I'm not worried about him being in shape or condition. He demonstrated a TON of work ethic when he came into the senior bowl and flat dominated, then threw down an all-time great workout at the combine. He's got a chip on his shoulder, and he's had football taken away from him twice. He'll be ITCHING to squash some QB's

That being said, I don't expect him to be a Sapp-like sack artist... Simply because Tuck, JPP, and Osi will get there first most times. But he's going to make their job a lot easier.

C1010
03-20-2012, 12:11 PM
I hope he can knock the rust off. I liked some of the push he was getting during pre season. He's fast and has good power.

freeoscar
03-20-2012, 02:53 PM
With the quality and depth the Giants have on the D-Line, it is a perfect situation for breaking in new guys without having to force it. If he is going to be a great player, it will be as a Giant.

slipknottin
03-20-2012, 03:08 PM

Joseph is a 330 pound 1 tech, whose job is to take on double teams and hold up at the point of attack.

Austin is a 310 pound 3 tech whose job is to penetrate and get up field.

They actually compliment each other in terms of their play, rather than compete.

GameTime
03-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Marvin Austin is coming back he will be in 2nd season, he missed all of last season with a torn pectoral muscle. Anyone here excited to see what Marvin Austin can bring to the Giants?</P>

right now I cant get excited about a player whio hasnt seen the field in two years. He is nothing more than potential. I hope he kicks *** but I am not expecting much as of yet. </P>

</P>

Drez
03-20-2012, 04:00 PM
had a lot of off the field issues in North Carolina According to the giants, who know far more about these things than us or the media, he was actually relatively clean off the field.</P>

I guess fraternizing with agents or whatever it was exactly that Austin did is the same as dealing drugs, beating his girlfriend, and raping nuns. Remember, this is T-Murda84 we are dealing with here.</P>

Kruunch
03-20-2012, 04:04 PM

Joseph is a 330 pound 1 tech, whose job is to take on double teams and hold up at the point of attack.

Austin is a 310 pound 3 tech whose job is to penetrate and get up field.

They actually compliment each other in terms of their play, rather than compete.

Translation: Austin makes plays and Joseph blocks out the sun (or eats it).

Axels15
03-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Hes been out of football for the past 2 years and had a lot of off the field issues in North Carolina and people act as if hes the second coming of Warren Sapp. We just have to wait and see....but I dont see him producing much because Its been a while sense he sniffed the field.

I feel like you're really not a Giant fan...

Anyway, back on topic. "A lot of off-field issues" is really overstating it. He took some money. Frankly, I think the NCAA rules are ridiculous anyway

Redeyejedi
03-20-2012, 08:17 PM

I feel like you're really not a Giant fan...

Anyway, back on topic. "A lot of off-field issues" is really overstating it. He took some money. Frankly, I think the NCAA rules are ridiculous anywayThey all do it he was just stupid about it and tweeted

Redeyejedi
03-20-2012, 08:18 PM

Excited, yes.

Expectant, no.Yeah when he missed the 2nd season I basically chalked him up to a lost pick. If he produces great

Neverend
03-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Don't see him contributing a lot to the defense until 2013

Too raw. Situational pass rusher imo. A possible great one at it who will show nice flashes in 2012

JMFP2
03-20-2012, 10:45 PM
I was excited for Austin, but following the injury, I no longer expect much. </P>

I hope I'm wrong.</P>

ShockeyShow
03-20-2012, 10:54 PM
All the potential in the world and is at a place with the right teammates and coaches that will help him utilize it.

I expect big things out of this big kid

NYSPORTS
03-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Austin is going to be awesome.

ELI_Iz_God
03-21-2012, 12:19 AM

Stop being a judge Judy and give the kid a chance...he was A Dominant player before he got hurt.

timmytimm3
03-21-2012, 08:40 AM
I just hope his shoulder injury doesn't linger year after year like Tuck. I know this is a peck vs Tuck's shoulder, but it definitely seems to affect him every year.

MattMeyerBud
03-21-2012, 09:04 AM
I just hope his shoulder injury doesn't linger year after year like Tuck. I know this is a peck vs Tuck's shoulder, but it definitely seems to affect him every year.

he tore his peck, not his shoulder

G-Man67
03-21-2012, 11:02 AM
hopefully he's healthy and ready to work ... all hands on deck</P>

JesseJames
03-21-2012, 11:06 AM
I think with all of the ridiculous crimes taking place around the country by college players and NFL as well not to mention bounties paid by coaches for injuring other players that what Austin did is very small and that the punishment was too severe for the crime...

timmytimm3
03-22-2012, 12:45 PM
[quote user="timmytimm3"] I know this is a peck vs Tuck's shoulder[/quote

]

he tore his peck, not his shoulder

TrueBlue@NYC
03-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Like others have stated, going into last season I was excited to see him play, now i'm more curious as to whether he can get to that first step of being a viable rotation player. </P>

Being otu of football for two years is a long time. Luckily he's young and is athletic for a big guy. Just needs to work hard and hopefully stay healthy and he could be a contributor. </P>

</P>

buddy33
03-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Being out of football for 2 years is tough, but he was only injured for 1 year. The year before he was working out and ready to participate in last years pre season.

Now a guy like Jones is going to have a harder time getting back in my opinion, but it seems like everything you read about him says he is just about ready.

heavyhitter
03-22-2012, 06:38 PM
Don't see him contributing a lot to the defense until 2013

Too raw. Situational pass rusher imo. A possible great one at it who will show nice flashes in 2012Well said-

Danny1024
03-22-2012, 07:05 PM
we need him to do well. tuck can no longer be relied on (guy is always hurt...) and jpp needs to play DE not DT.

austin needs to be that guy that can get pressure up the middle

heavyhitter
03-22-2012, 07:15 PM
we need him to do well. tuck can no longer be relied on (guy is always hurt...) and jpp needs to play DE not DT.

austin needs to be that guy that can get pressure up the middle
And I think he will do well, but he needs to work his way back into the mix after his injury. Many considered him a top 10 talent but "character concerns" knocked him down on the drafting boards. I personally think the Giants got a steal in Marvin Austin.

BlueSanta
03-22-2012, 07:26 PM
truthfully, his absence from football is much closer to 3 years than 2. He last played around xmas 2009.

It will not be easy for him.

RoanokeFan
03-22-2012, 07:43 PM
He's one of Jerry's kids, I expect him to contribute

heavyhitter
03-22-2012, 07:52 PM
truthfully, his absence from football is much closer to 3 years than 2. He last played around xmas 2009.

It will not be easy for him.
He tore his pec in a preseason game last year, but didn't he play in the east/west shrine game? Either way, he's missed a lot of football.

B&RWarrior
03-22-2012, 08:15 PM
We need a big fat run stuffing DT. Our DEs can do the job of rushing the passer and Canty presents a good inside ruch presence. We need somebody to eat up blockers and clog up the middle. We don't need another pass rushing DT.

RoanokeFan
03-22-2012, 08:31 PM
We need a big fat run stuffing DT. Our DEs can do the job of rushing the passer and Canty presents a good inside ruch presence. We need somebody to eat up blockers and clog up the middle. We don't need another pass rushing DT.

See if we pick up Devon Still in the draft. In the meantime, we have Joseph and Austin to complement Canty.

B&RWarrior
03-22-2012, 08:38 PM
We need a big fat run stuffing DT. Our DEs can do the job of rushing the passer and Canty presents a good inside rush presence. We need somebody to eat up blockers and clog up the middle. We don't need another pass rushing DT.

See is we pick up Devon Still in the draft

I really don't think he'll be there. Who do you think we pick if he's not there? I don't think Reese sees run defense as a priority. He always talks about pass rushing ability when he talks about DL.

nhpgiantsfan
03-22-2012, 09:02 PM
I have no expectations from Austin this year. I will be pleasantly surprised and take anything he gives us as a bonus. This is a learning year for him. It's not like we are desperate at the tackle position, so we can break him in at our own speed.

bigblue5611
03-22-2012, 11:48 PM
Hes been out of football for the past 2 years and had a lot of off the field issues in North Carolina and people act as if hes the second coming of Warren Sapp. We just have to wait and see....but I dont see him producing much because Its been a while sense he sniffed the field.</P>

</P>

The NCAA wants to know who paid for travel and lodging for*multiple trips to*Miami, travels which were first mentioned on Austinís Twitter account. Austin has since taken down the Twitter account.</P>

Weíre told that Saunders was also on at least one trip to Miami as well as several other players.</P>

The NCAA is also interested in Austinís travel back and forth to Washington, D.C., his hometown.</P>

Austin has been questioned by investigators*about driving a car that belongs to former North Carolina defensive tackle Kentwan Balmer, a San Francisco 49ers 2008 first-round draft pick. </P>

Oh my God! He got plane tickets paid for and drove a car from a friend/ former player! What a bad person with crazy charater concerns! </P>

NCAA is a hypocritical joke as far as im concerned....what constitutes violations in their little world is just beyond me

slipknottin
03-23-2012, 01:17 AM

Have Joseph for that. Pass rushing DT is more of a need than run stuffer.

timmytimm3
03-23-2012, 09:14 AM

Have Joseph for that. Pass rushing DT is more of a need than run stuffer.

Agreed. Joseph is really coming on and is strong as an ox.

Danny1024
03-23-2012, 02:49 PM

See if we pick up Devon Still in the draft. In the meantime, we have Joseph and Austin to complement Canty.

if he's available at #32 im sure reese would take him. that would be a great value pick

OsiStrahan#1combo
03-23-2012, 03:02 PM

I think if he gets back in there, gets back to actually PLAYING football and not being part of it, hell get his game back. just give him reps.

TrueBlue@NYC
03-23-2012, 03:32 PM
We need a big fat run stuffing DT. Our DEs can do the job of rushing the passer and Canty presents a good inside ruch presence. We need somebody to eat up blockers and clog up the middle. We don't need another pass rushing DT.</P>

Ummmm , the name Linval Joseph ring a bell? That's exactly the role that he played this year and did a heck of a job at it too. '</P>

Towards the end of the season he was simply destorying the opposing teams blocking schemes. </P>

nygsb42champs
03-23-2012, 04:16 PM
I want to see how he fits in to the Giants d-line rotation. He has not played offtball in 2 years so I am sure there is alot of rust to be knocked off.