PDA

View Full Version : Will we be a better or worse team in 2012?

jhamburg
03-20-2012, 12:19 PM
A handful of FA losses, fewer pick-ups...but a lot of young players still on the roster continuing to develop. And a QB coming back from a career year.

Austin, TT, Goff, Hixon, Beatty coming back from injuries...but of course we'll have a few more in the preseason.

What do you guys think, on a balance will we be an improvement from the 2011 championship team?

manning to shockey
03-20-2012, 12:29 PM
I think we will do better during the regular season. I predict a lot less come from behind wins, I think we will be more dominant during the regular season. However It is very very hard to have back to back superbowl wins so I think we will suffer a loss in the playoffs. Similar to the 2008 season minus the shot heard around the world by plax.

TuckYou
03-20-2012, 12:40 PM
I will tell you moments before week 1. It all depends on injuries, but if we go into it healthy without any key injuries, Id say about 10-11 wins, playoffs, and a nice run if we get hot again. Not really thinking we are going to repeat cause it is so hard, but I think we will have a shot at it. </P>

Flip Empty
03-20-2012, 12:43 PM
The schedule looks even worse than last season's. It won't be easy.

I'm gonna call it now and say that the Giants will beat the Saints though.

Antwuan
03-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Kinda hard to say right now. I think I could give you a better answer after the Giants Draft. I do think the Giants will be more healthy on Defense though.

galaxy10
03-20-2012, 01:41 PM
I think we will be better.

radar-ray
03-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Better regular season record wise, predicated on having a fairly healthy team, and an improved OL. Seriously, how can you get better than a SB championship!

jomo
03-20-2012, 02:00 PM
I expect we will be better (doesn't mean we will win another SB but hopefully we will). We have a real tight end, OL will be improved, the young LB will be a year older and we will find a better mix at RB.

MikeIsaGiant
03-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Better

SweetZombieJesus
03-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Seriously, how can you get better than a SB championship!

By having two back-to-back.

(Something the Giants have not done in 88 years).

JimC
03-20-2012, 02:13 PM
I'm hoping for equal to last year. Super Bowl champs!!!!!

Redeyejedi
03-20-2012, 02:15 PM
NFC is loaded will be very difficult to make the playoffs let alone win another Super Bowl. The Giants play 7 teams that were in the playoffs in 2012

radar-ray
03-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Seriously, how can you get better than a SB championship!

By having two back-to-back.

(Something the Giants have not done in 88 years).
Well I'll go for that!!!

Raptor22
03-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Our state motto is "Excelsior" or "Ever Upwards"

I see no reason not to improve.

Kruunch
03-20-2012, 03:18 PM
A handful of FA losses, fewer pick-ups...but a lot of young players still on the roster continuing to develop. And a QB coming back from a career year.

Austin, TT, Goff, Hixon, Beatty coming back from injuries...but of course we'll have a few more in the preseason.

What do you guys think, on a balance will we be an improvement from the 2011 championship team?

Offense will be better (more consistant). Now that we know who our top receivers are, Eli should be more comfortable going to them by default (ala 2008).

Defense *should* be better with the return of T2, Goff and the rest of the cast. Prince gets a full camp under his belt and Fewell (hopefully) sticks to his simplified C2 scheme that worked so well in the post season.

If the defense can come out of the gate on track, I think we'll have a monstrous year.

freeoscar
03-20-2012, 03:37 PM
looking at it honestly, we had a bunch of huge plays on offense that are unlikely to be repeated. At this point, i have to assume our 3rd receiver won't be as good as Manningham, and Cruz won't have that incredible production. Also, as yet, no changes to the o-line or running game, so I don't see picking up the slack there.
On the positive side, we can't have worse D injuries than last year, so I see the D improving. The schedule is brutal, absolutely brutal.
Depending on the breaks I see 8-8 to 10-6, and missing the playoffs, or just making the WC.

GMAN8625
03-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Better. The Teams confidence is going to be sky-high. Just like the year following our 07 Super bowl (until Plax shot himself).

TheEnigma
03-20-2012, 03:55 PM
We'll play better but don't forget that other teams are going to play us harder now as well.

You also always have to question the hunger after a team comes off of a championship winning season.

Here's to an injury free preseason.

bklyn1028
03-20-2012, 05:04 PM
BACK TO BACK SUPERBOWN WINNERS:
1967 Green Bay Packers
1968 Green Bay Packers

1973 Miami Dolphins
1974 Miami Dolphins
1975 Pittsburgh Steelers
1976 Pittsburgh Steelers
1979 Pittsburgh Steelers
1980 Pittsburgh Steelers

1989 San Francisco 49ers
1990 San Francisco 49ers

1993 Dallas Cowboys
1994 Dallas Cowboys

1998 Denver Broncos
1999 Denver Broncos

2004 New England Patriots
2005 New England Patriots

2012 New York Giants
2013 New York Giants

You read it here first!!

TrueBlue@NYC
03-20-2012, 05:09 PM
At this point I've learned that it's impossible to make any predictions when it comes to the NFL or this team. </P>

One thing I will say is that as long as we stay healthy and Eli keeps form, this team will have a shot. </P>

Tommy3rd
03-20-2012, 05:28 PM
We just won the Superbowl. you would think that anything less than another superbowl would mean the team is worse.

Kruunch
03-20-2012, 05:30 PM
We just won the Superbowl. you would think that anything less than another superbowl would mean the team is worse.

Strictly speaking that would be correct.

TheEnigma
03-20-2012, 05:34 PM
The 2011 Packers were better than the 2010 Packers.

The 2008 Giants were better than the 2007 Giants.

Winning a Superbowl is a feat in itself but back to back? Odds of that are even lower.

A worse team can finish with better results than a better team.

jhamburg
03-20-2012, 05:37 PM
The 2011 Packers were better than the 2010 Packers.

The 2008 Giants were better than the 2007 Giants.

Winning a Superbowl is a feat in itself but back to back? Odds of that are even lower.

A worse team can finish with better results than a better team.

Right, exactly. We could be looking at another 2008 type team, I just hope the results are better.

slipknottin
03-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Well they have the hardest schedule in the league. So thats not going to help things.

To finish the season they were playing at a really high level, so they may continue that into the regular season, and play quite well.

The biggest concern though, is how they play down the stretch.

It could wind up being a similar season to 08, very good team all year, but just cant win when it matters most.

giantsfan420
03-20-2012, 06:13 PM
I find it funny some go, with the giants I learned not to expect anything.

Huh??? Since elis been starter we've finished 8-8 twice. One of those times it was good enough to make the playoffs. That's been our worst record for what, going on 8 seasons? This has been a ten win team often, think we get back to that at the least.

Also don't forget in 07 we were avg at times during the season just like last season. When we opened as champs we were dominant until that plex drama. Nicks and cruz don't strike me like that, whole team has their head on right. Eli continued the same level of play from the playoffs and sb in 08afterthe his first sb mvp right until plex fd it all up. Eli had to restart the process all over and I think this is parta why he didn't lobby for him as a FA. But yeah I think eli will continue his play from the playoffs aslong as the roster holds up and supports him which will lead to 11 or 22wins

RoanokeFan
03-20-2012, 06:15 PM
I think we will do better during the regular season. I predict a lot less come from behind wins, I think we will be more dominant during the regular season. However It is very very hard to have back to back superbowl wins so I think we will suffer a loss in the playoffs. Similar to the 2008 season minus the shot heard around the world by plax.

If we have a better regular season, that almost assures playoffs. I can live with that.

TheEnigma
03-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Hey 420, check your inbox.

PRFan
03-20-2012, 06:40 PM
I believe we will have a better team. That might not translate into wins though. Tougher schedule.

derekunion28
03-20-2012, 06:56 PM
i say shoot for stars anything is possable

NY4U2
03-20-2012, 07:44 PM

Strictly speaking that would be correct.

we could have a great team, better than this year win more games, score more, more yardage and all and something happen like we loose too many key players (like Manning, Weatherford, etc..) and loose in the playoffs because of it, does that mean our team is worse? Heck a team thats hungrier when we meet them could be the cause (seen it happen plenty of times) If we judge how good a team is by how close we get to a superbowl then we may misjudge them. On our way to the Superbowl most of the team we beat were considered better...lol but i digress..

nhpgiantsfan
03-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Offense will be fine. But I think the defense is a huge question mark. It remains to be seen what we will get out of Prince &amp; T2. This could be a huge problem if they dont excel. Boley must stay healthy, and whoever is going to be the third LB, needs to take a big step forward. I liked the way Goff was progressing but am extremely worried that him playing over JWill at this point is a step backwards. In my opinion Goff needs to have a great camp in order to earn the starting job. I dont think it should be handed to him.</P>

Bottom line is, the only sure fire unit on defense is the front 4. How great would it be if Tuck, Osi, &amp; JPP can stay healthy all year. Especially with how Joseph and Canty played this year. And the can slowly work Austin into the mix. </P>

lawl
03-20-2012, 08:43 PM
I think we will do better during the regular season. I predict a lot less come from behind wins, I think we will be more dominant during the regular season. However It is very very hard to have back to back superbowl wins so I think we will suffer a loss in the playoffs. Similar to the 2008 season minus the shot heard around the world by plax.</P>

</P>

I was thinking the exact same. </P>

</P>

Most likely a better regular season, most likely a worse postseason.</P>

GJRNYG
03-20-2012, 08:45 PM
10-6 regular season

but will probably lose early in the play offs.

miken609
03-25-2012, 06:11 PM
I will tell you moments before week 1. It all depends on injuries, but if we go into it healthy without any key injuries, Id say about 10-11 wins, playoffs, and a nice run if we get hot again. Not really thinking we are going to repeat cause it is so hard, but I think we will have a shot at it. </P>nice sig, check mine

titwio
03-25-2012, 06:18 PM
If the team can manage to stay healthy(ier)...there should be no reason they shouldn't be better.

In the regular season at least and better than 9-7...even with the tough schedule.

buddy33
03-25-2012, 06:24 PM
I think we all would like to see them do better than 9-7, but it's very hard to repeat as Super Bowl Champions.

What I'm hoping for is that Webster holds up his excellent play and Prince shows why we where waiting for him to get back on the field. Then hopefully TT is able to be effective as well. With this happening I would hope Rolle can play his true Safety position. Tuck is Tuck and JPP will have another year of experience under his belt. That goes for Joseph as well. No what if Austin is able to get back to form? The pass rush could be scary along with a better secondary. Still depth of the secondary is a concern of mine.

As far as offense, I'm just worried tha teams are going to just force Eli to beat them, which he can do, but even the best QB's can have trouble when their offense is so one dimensional. I'd love to see them be a dominant running team again. I forget the stat, but durin a game this year they showed how the Giants have been one of the top running teams every year under TC. This past year they where the worst. Imagine how much better they could be if hey could run next year.

BigBlue1971
03-25-2012, 07:29 PM
it all depends on health and based on last years injuries weve had our share.</P>

i also think Eli will be better and will again mold the offense into one of the leagues best!</P>

the defense has already proven they can get the job done so i fully expect the G-Men to be better....maybe 2-3-4 games better!</P>

</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff size=4>Go Giants!</FONT></P>

miked1958
03-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Better regular season record wise, predicated on having a fairly healthy team, and an improved OL. Seriously, how can you get better than a SB championship!
This

Manstache
03-25-2012, 08:02 PM
u already know bruh. the blueprint, foundation, and formula have been laid for an even more successful season, just like in 08. only this time there wont be an idiot toting a strap inside his jogging pants and derail the whole damn thing. oh yea, we go ball out in '12.

JJC7301
03-27-2012, 12:53 AM

I think that it all depends on the o-line. It's shocking that we won the SB with that horrible o-line, but that's not going to happen two years in a row.

I do believe that it will be improved one way or another which will lead to a bette

r running game. Not dominant, but better. I think we'll manage without MM (someone else will step up at # 3) and our D will be healthier than last year.

It's going to be a good year.