PDA

View Full Version : so....who is our MLB?????

Eli TO Shockey
03-20-2012, 06:38 PM
I dont know what's going on with goff...but it seems like we're either letting him test the market or have no interest in bringing him back. Chase doesnt look like to be coming back either....

To be honest, im not a big fan of Greg Jones...I hope hes not our starting MLB come next season.

do we go MLB early in the draft? if so..who?

myles2424
03-20-2012, 06:40 PM
I dont know what's going on with goff...but it seems like we're either letting him test the market or have no interest in bringing him back. Chase doesnt look like to be coming back either....

To be honest, im not a big fan of Greg Jones...I hope hes not our starting MLB come next season.

there's no market out there for goff,he'll eventualy come back....

Eli TO Shockey
03-20-2012, 06:43 PM

have we shown any interest in bringing him back? i havent read anything about him

myles2424
03-20-2012, 06:45 PM

have we shown any interest in bringing him back? i havent read anything about him
Idk,I haven't heard a word.....maybe they think there's no need to overpay for a average MLB with no coverage skills & is coming off IR...

RoanokeFan
03-20-2012, 07:16 PM

The FO doesn't negotiate in public or comment on who they're talking to.

Martyr
03-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Right now I'd say Greg Jones or Mark Herzlich, no doubt someone will be brought in which its Goff or someone else

BornBrooklyn
03-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Herzlich perhaps?

RoanokeFan
03-20-2012, 07:20 PM
We'll know when camp ends

jomo
03-20-2012, 07:28 PM

there's no market out there for goff,he'll eventualy come back....No market for a guy who reads plays slowly, changes direction not so well and often overruns plays? <FONT color=#ff0000>Shocking!</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#000000>I'm overstating to make my point but if we sign him, let it reflect his average skils and no NFL resume to speak of. I know he's got upside so let him earn his keep with incentives.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#ff0000></FONT></P>

NY_Eli
03-20-2012, 07:31 PM
With our current staff I'd guess some mix of Jones and Herzlich....don't forget Mark won the starting job before he went down with an injury, clearly the coaches like what he can offer

RoanokeFan
03-20-2012, 07:40 PM

there's no market out there for goff,he'll eventualy come back....No market for a guy who reads plays slowly, changes direction not so well and often overruns plays? <font color="#ff0000">Shocking!</font></p>

<font color="#000000">I'm overstating to make my point but if we sign him, let it reflect his average skils and no NFL resume to speak of. I know he's got upside so let him earn his keep with incentives.</font></p>

<font color="#ff0000"></font></p>

If they don't sign him, it's a moot point. I see Goff as an Antonie Pierce type of MLB. Not the most athletic, perhaps, but the cerebral on field general they need/want.

NewYorkSwagg
03-20-2012, 07:55 PM
I heard that the Giants want to try Herlich, also the coaches like this guy. They said that he as done everything they ask him, he is a quick learner, and believe he can hold down the MLB role this year so coming in camp he is our number 1 guy unless he gets hurt. Also I'm all for it I think he can be a starter at MLB as well he 6.4 rangy but not that fast and neither was Pierce, so I'm all for it.

NewYorkSwagg
03-20-2012, 07:57 PM
6'4

hungrrrry
03-20-2012, 08:01 PM
I agree with Ro...I had no problem with Goff...our defense was a lot better (particularly against the run) than it was this year. I think most of the people weighing in are way overstating the negative just for the sake of doing it. Goff matured quickly especially after a rookie season that had him on IR for the season...if he has a fault. It is that...the fact he has missed two seasons on IR. We need an MLB who can position the line and sniff out the run. He can do that.

Martyr
03-20-2012, 08:01 PM
I think a good camp battle will decide who will start but I want more bodies fighting for that spot

Rich4114
03-20-2012, 10:21 PM
The MLB competition in training camp is going to be pretty awesome. It's going to involve Goff, Herzlich, and Jones mainly. Possibly a rookie if they draft one (and I'm not so sure they will with so many sophmore LB's)

I think between those three we will find something that works well. If Herzlich can stay healthy and stick to his responsibilities in coverage I think he could surprise everyone. Plus, you've got to want to root for him. Before the cancer thing he was a sure thing at MLB and the guy seems to put the work in.

I'm not high on Jones but he could surprise us. Goff, if he's anything like he was in 2010/11 then we've got a quality starter at the position.

dave56dj
03-20-2012, 10:28 PM
Usually (not always as was the case with smith) guys who have injuries have a much better chance to re-sign with the team they were with previously so there is still a shot we sign goff - perhaps on a prove it deal like the one thomas got - not the same money but with options and incentives.

That all said i think herzlich flashed some nice intangibles on the run but would have to come off the field on passing downs. I think fewell covered up for Jones as best he could - and while he was a rookie he struggled mightily - he still has time to turn it around for sure - but I think herzlich has jumped him on the depth chart.

JMFP2
03-20-2012, 11:37 PM
I think the gameplan is to suck at MLB until the season is almost lost, and then sign Chase Blackburnbefore he takes another teaching job.

Mercury
03-21-2012, 09:11 AM
I think the gameplan is to suck at MLB until the season is almost lost, and then sign Chase Blackburnbefore he takes another teaching job.

I think Chase could teach the younger LBers to ball. And how to break down film. Plus he's not expensive. I would think there would be room for him. That is, if no other team is going to pony up a bigger salary for him.

MattMeyerBud
03-21-2012, 09:16 AM

i would imagine Herzlich is higher onthe depth chart than greg jones

timmytimm3
03-21-2012, 09:34 AM
I think the gameplan is to suck at MLB until the season is almost lost, and then sign Chase Blackburn*before he takes another teaching job.

well played sir.

galaxy10
03-21-2012, 09:42 AM

LOL I agree with you. The Giants and Reese have not made this position a high priority. I am not sure why. I have been saying we need a stud MLB since Pierce left. We don't have that guy. I liked Greg Jone in the draft, but he has not proven himself. Goff is average at best. He does have the smarts, but why not some body that has the physical ability as well. Herzlich (sp) has the smarts and has potential, but why do we not give this position its just attention. This defense would be outstanding with a stud middle linebacker.

TuckYou
03-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Chase Blackburn is our best option, IMO.

Mercury
03-21-2012, 10:19 AM

LOL I agree with you. The Giants and Reese have not made this position a high priority. I am not sure why. I have been saying we need a stud MLB since Pierce left. We don't have that guy. I liked Greg Jone in the draft, but he has not proven himself. Goff is average at best. He does have the smarts, but why not some body that has the physical ability as well. Herzlich (sp) has the smarts and has potential, but why do we not give this position its just attention. This defense would be outstanding with a stud middle linebacker.

Stud MLB= $$$$
We put all our $$$$ into other positions, such as QB, DE, and CB. What we need is a cheap serviceable option. I think they are high on Herzlich.

nygsb42champs
03-21-2012, 10:21 AM
I do not think we have one as of now. Either Jones or Herzlich are the only ones on the roster right now.

nycisgreat
03-21-2012, 10:31 AM

Morally, it would be a shame if they don't find a way to bring Chase back next season. He played his butt off after no training camp and entering the league mid season. I think his play this past season has been under appreciated. I think the dude is a flat out baller.

RagTime Blue
03-21-2012, 10:33 AM
I didn't realize Goff wasn't signed (yet). But I have to think that if he's at camp, he's the man to beat for the job, just like Hixon is the man to beat for the 3rd WR position.

Other guys may have more upside, but TC likes consistency over upside all day.

nycisgreat
03-21-2012, 10:36 AM

Morally, it would be a shame if they don't find a way to bring Chase back next season. He played his butt off after no training camp and entering the league mid season. I think his play this past season has been under appreciated. I think the dude is a flat out baller.

MLB, I had no issue with Boley in that spot. Not as fast as Williams, but his intuition to play MLB is pretty high. If we bring the same defensive philosophy from the end of last season into next season. I think our defense will be in good shaple.

nycisgreat
03-21-2012, 10:45 AM
I didn't realize Goff wasn't signed (yet).* But I have to think that if he's at camp, he's the man to beat for the job, just like Hixon is the man to beat for the 3rd WR position.*

Other guys may have more upside, but TC likes consistency over upside all day.

I like Hixon, but I doubt that he will be competing for the 3rd Wr. Two knee injuries in consecutive season. I am not sure how well he would able to make in and out cuts on his routes. The guy is (or was) fast, but even before the knee injuries. He was never able to create separation for himself and db's because of his inability to make those deceptive cuts on his route.

I think Braylon Edwards would be worth a look as a 3rd Wr. He would on the cheap this season. Barden hasn't show me anything and I can't remember seeing Jerrigen playing at all during the regular season.

qndarius3
03-21-2012, 10:48 AM
The team seems to be very high on Herzlich. I'd be very surprised if he wasnt the MIKE come opening day, unless we somehow get a Luke Keuckley or someone like that.

GiantPride27
03-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Mark Herzlich - He is just going to get beter as his body continues to recover and rebuild. He played well and as his athletisism builds back up hes ganna be a monster

burier
03-21-2012, 11:01 AM
I think a good camp battle will decide who will start but I want more bodies fighting for that spot

I'm praying hard to the football gods that our starting Mike will be Vontaze Burfict.

LT_was_good
03-21-2012, 11:04 AM

Victory.

GiantPride27
03-21-2012, 11:27 AM

I'm praying hard to the football gods that our starting Mike will be Vontaze Burfict.

id take him in the 6th at the earliest. then whip him into shape and get his head on straight

JesseJames
03-21-2012, 11:53 AM
I think Blackburn would have bee resigned immediately after the season was over but because of his late season play his agent feels he is worth more than he could get from the Giants and so his asking price is now more than we think he's worth, I hate agents and wish they never got involved in this league...

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Never having labored in the NFL in any capacity, I clearly have no clue about how everything works at the front office level. But I have to believe there are two personnel strategies in place. One, short term, focuses on today's needs where, for example, acquiring Bennett came into play since we aren't going to have Ballard when the season starts. We signed TT and let Ross walk. We let Jacobs go so how do we fill that void if there is a void to fill?

Second is the long term strategy addressing what players you want to keep as long as you possibly can. Eli, Nicks, JPP, Cruz, Tuck, as examples. Here's where Reese has to look forward tos ee how he's going to keep all of his play makers in the fold.

I imagine, in a CAP situation we have found ourselves in lately, Reese is certainly aware that personnel moves he makes now, in terms of CAP money, will impact his ability to deal positively with the "play makers" when their turn comes. In fact, it seems to me the best long term strategy is to extend your best players before they become free agents.

We tend to look at the here and now and wonder why this or that free agent isn't being brought in for a look. But we don't have to be concerned with spending money now that we are clearly going to need one or two years down the road.

My guess is Reese is letting some players, like Goff for example, shop around in free agency
and realize their true current value. The hope would be that we can re-sign those we want to re-sign.

Jacobs, Blackburn, Goff and others may well be on the final 53 in 2012 after all the dust settles.

GMENAGAIN
03-21-2012, 12:25 PM
I think a good camp battle will decide who will start but I want more bodies fighting for that spot I'm praying hard to the football gods that our starting Mike will be Vontaze Burfict.</P>

Your using up valuable goodwill with the football gods to wish that a lazy,unathletic, bad football player becomes our MLB???</P>

</P>

G-Men Surg.
03-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Ralph Vacchiano
@TheBlueScreen
He once seemed to be a lock to re-sign with the Giants ... RT @caplannfl #nyg MLB Jonathan Goff visited the #Browns.

Well, the value market for Goff is about to begin.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Ralph Vacchiano
@TheBlueScreen
He once seemed to be a lock to re-sign with the Giants ... RT @caplannfl #nyg MLB Jonathan Goff visited the #Browns.

And so it begins

G-Men Surg.
03-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Ralph Vacchiano
@TheBlueScreen

And so it begins

Finally something to talk about bro !

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Ralph Vacchiano
@TheBlueScreen

And so it begins

It's like a chess game that never ends lol

G-Men Surg.
03-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Ralph Vacchiano
@TheBlueScreen

And so it begins

It's like a chess game that never ends* lol

Its going to sound odd but God I love the offseason ! Year in and year out you think you have seen everything, think again ! I love it.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Ralph Vacchiano
@TheBlueScreen

And so it begins

It's like a chess game that never ends lol

Its going to sound odd but God I love the offseason ! Year in and year out you think you have seen everything, think again ! I love it.

We are an adventurous team, hardly what you'd call traditional in terms of free agency and drafting.

Rich4114
03-21-2012, 02:36 PM
I agree with RoanokeFan. The guys we could be or should be re-signing are really not our big time players and can be replaced through other means. We've got to make sure we're not in a Manningham-like situation with Cruz, Nicks, JPP, etc. when it comes up next year or the year after. We HAVE to keep that core to maintain the competitiveness we have now. The rest will work itself out.

Also, the cap should be increased by quite a bit in a year or two which gives us the ability to re-sign our big time players and also go be players in the FA market like we used to be.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 02:41 PM
I agree with RoanokeFan. The guys we could be or should be re-signing are really not our big time players and can be replaced through other means. We've got to make sure we're not in a Manningham-like situation with Cruz, Nicks, JPP, etc. when it comes up next year or the year after. We HAVE to keep that core to maintain the competitiveness we have now. The rest will work itself out.

Also, the cap should be increased by quite a bit in a year or two which gives us the ability to re-sign our big time players and also go be players in the FA market like we used to be.

I am worried about the CAP rising significantly. It only went up $600,000.00 this season.

C1010
03-21-2012, 02:42 PM
I'd like to see Herzlich in there, Im not exactly thrilled about Jones.

burier
03-21-2012, 02:55 PM

id take him in the 6th at the earliest. then whip him into shape and get his head on straight

The 6th seriously?? I'm thinking he'll be sitting there ready to go at 32.

This head case stuff is totally overblown and if anything our defense could use a psycho.

Eli TO Shockey
03-21-2012, 03:19 PM

This head case stuff is totally overblown and if anything our defense could use a psycho.

If any team takes him before the 6th round, it would be a reach.

burier
03-21-2012, 03:22 PM

Based on what?

King Sully
03-21-2012, 03:23 PM

Based on what?

He's absolutely tanked the combine and his pro day, which in turn raises questions about his commitment and work ethic. Blowing the biggest "interview" of your life.

King Sully
03-21-2012, 03:24 PM

Based on what?

He's absolutely tanked the combine and his pro day, which in turn raises questions about his commitment and work ethic. Blowing the biggest "interview" of your life.

that being said i think a team will take a chance on him if he's there in the mid rounds.

Garbloz
03-21-2012, 03:46 PM
i don't know our cap room but if possible i think this is the most important thing we need. get a fa or trade for a solid at the least veteran mlb. this team is ready now obviously. just my op

MattMeyerBud
03-21-2012, 03:48 PM
i don't know our cap room but if possible i think this is the most important thing we need. get a fa or trade for a solid at the least veteran mlb. this team is ready now obviously. just my op

i think the most important thing would be getting a tackle

we have a ton of young talent at LBer. I would like to add somebody as well, but i think its far from most important

burier
03-21-2012, 03:53 PM

Based on what?

that being said i think a team will take a chance on him if he's there in the mid rounds.

I know he tanked at the combine and all that but I mean..just turn the guys film on. If he makes it out of the second round its a travisty.

As far as the interview process...Ok so the guys a little imature. A little emotional. That's why we pay coaches to mold these young players. If he was a headcase and a QB I might look at it as a red flag.

You're not supposed to have all of your falcuties when you play linebacker.

TuckYou
03-21-2012, 04:00 PM
I think a good camp battle will decide who will start but I want more bodies fighting for that spot I'm praying hard to the football gods that our starting Mike will be Vontaze Burfict. id take him in the 6th at the earliest. then whip him into shape and get his head on straight The 6th seriously?? I'm thinking he'll be sitting there ready to go at 32. This head case stuff is totally overblown and if anything our defense could use a psycho.

Based on what? He's absolutely tanked the combine and his pro day, which in turn raises questions about his commitment and work ethic. Blowing the biggest "interview" of your life. that being said i think a team will take a chance on him if he's there in the mid rounds. I know he tanked at the combine and all that but I mean..just turn the guys film on. If he makes it out of the second round its a travisty. As far as the interview process...Ok so the guys a little imature. A little emotional. That's why we pay coaches to mold these young players. If he was a headcase and a QB I might look at it as a red flag. You're not supposed to have all of your falcuties when you play linebacker.</P>

He dont give a ****. Id draft him in the 5 with our conditional pick, but not earlier. If he comes back to earth, then we got a steal, if he continues to rot away, eh, we wasted more for less. </P>

giantman8493
03-21-2012, 04:07 PM

Based on what?

I know he tanked at the combine and all that but I mean..just turn the guys film on. If he makes it out of the second round its a travisty.

As far as the interview process...Ok so the guys a little imature. A little emotional. That's why we pay coaches to mold these young players. If he was a headcase and a QB I might look at it as a red flag.

You're not supposed to have all of your falcuties when you play linebacker.His tape was not that impressive. He got benched a few times.

JesseJames
03-21-2012, 05:44 PM

i think the most important thing would be getting a tackle

we have a ton of young talent at LBer. I would like to add somebody as well, but i think its far from most important

I'm thinking that after having one year in the pros and now coming into an off season of mini camps and OTAs and summer camp we will see Herzlich become the MLB we've been looking for ...JMO

GMENAGAIN
03-21-2012, 05:49 PM
I think a good camp battle will decide who will start but I want more bodies fighting for that spot I'm praying hard to the football gods that our starting Mike will be Vontaze Burfict. id take him in the 6th at the earliest. then whip him into shape and get his head on straight The 6th seriously?? I'm thinking he'll be sitting there ready to go at 32. This head case stuff is totally overblown and if anything our defense could use a psycho.

Based on what? He's absolutely tanked the combine and his pro day, which in turn raises questions about his commitment and work ethic. Blowing the biggest "interview" of your life. that being said i think a team will take a chance on him if he's there in the mid rounds. I know he tanked at the combine and all that but I mean..just turn the guys film on. If he makes it out of the second round its a travisty. As far as the interview process...Ok so the guys a little imature. A little emotional. That's why we pay coaches to mold these young players. If he was a headcase and a QB I might look at it as a red flag. You're not supposed to have all of your falcuties when you play linebacker.</P>

You have never watched Burfict on film if you think he is a first or second round pick. </P>