PDA

View Full Version : Who was the last player the giants lost in FA or released that they missed?

slipknottin
03-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Or who went on to be a great player somewhere else?

Cofield played alright I guess, Linval played very well, wasent missed much.

Steve Smith went to the eagles and did nothing, giants found a better slot guy in Cruz

Boss made the move to oakland, didnt play well, got released. Giants found Ballard who was probably as good as Boss.

Seubert/O'Hara, dont think either of them played last season.

All those late round picks theyve cut/released, QBs, DBs, whoever. Any of them ever amount to anything?

Going back further, how about Gibril Wilson? played well for oakland his first year then got cut because he had a massive contract.

Kawika Mitchell, he played really well for the bills for like two seasons, now i dont think he is in the league any more.

Toomer after he got cut went to KC and did pretty much nothing, then realized it was time to retire.

Luke Petitgout, i think he signed with the Bucs but never really played, out of the league now.

I cant think of the last guy who really played well and has had some good seasons after playing for the giants,

Perhaps you could argue Cameron Wake, but that was all the way back in 2005.

TheAngryTuna
03-20-2012, 08:24 PM
I don't think you could argue Cameron Wake, he was not fully developed yet, and didn't he go to the CFL because after we cut him no NFL team would sign him?

You can add Ward to that list, he went to Tampa and did nothing.

slipknottin
03-20-2012, 08:25 PM
I don't think you could argue Cameron Wake, he was not fully developed yet, and didn't he go to the CFL because after we cut him no NFL team would sign him?.

Yep. And the giants only tried him out as a LB, it wasent until he went to the CFL that they let him get after Qbs, then realized he was a good player.

Good call on Ward.

scoopscj
03-20-2012, 08:29 PM
You can argue Jeff Hostetler. When he went to Oakland we had Dave Brown, Kent Graham, Dannel Kannel, Tomzak, oh lawd the list can go on and on....

Also Joe Jereviscious and Ed McCaffery went on to have nice careers. Lendeta punted for, what seems like another 10 years, as did Dave Jennings.

Kurt Warner did well, but Eli did better in the long run.

Can't think of anybody else off the top of my head that just dominated and made us regret not signing him.

I'll edit if I think of more.

Scoops

Drez
03-20-2012, 08:30 PM
And even in Wake's case, he was an UDFA that just caught up in the numbers game here. Wasn't he also out of the NFL and played in the CFL for a season or two after we cut him?</P>

</P>

Redeyejedi
03-20-2012, 08:30 PM

Steve Smith went to the eagles and did nothing, giants found a better slot guy in Cruz

Boss made the move to oakland, didnt play well, got released. Giants found Ballard who was probably as good as Boss.

All those late round picks theyve cut/released, QBs, DBs, whoever. Any of them ever amount to anything?

Going back further, how about Gibril Wilson? played well for oakland his first year then got cut because he had a massive contract.

Kawika Mitchell, he played really well for the bills for like two seasons, now i dont think he is in the league any more.

Toomer after he got cut went to KC and did pretty much nothing, then realized it was time to retire.

Luke Petitgout, i think he signed with the Bucs but never really played, out of the league now.

I cant think of the last guy who really played well and has had some good seasons after playing for the giants,

Perhaps you could argue Cameron Wake, but that was all the way back in 2005. I dont see Manningham falling off like these guys . I could see Ross getting cut next season

slipknottin
03-20-2012, 08:32 PM
I dont see Manningham falling off like these guys . I could see Ross getting cut next season

I think manningham could have a nice career in san fran. But is he that good that the giants wont be able to replace him? Im not so sure. I mean he finished this season with what, 500 yards and 4 TDs?

Drez
03-20-2012, 08:33 PM
You can argue Jeff Hostetler. When he went to Oakland we had Dave Brown, Kent Graham, Dannel Kannel, Tomzak, oh lawd the list can go on and on....

Also Joe Jereviscious and Ed McCaffery went on to have nice careers. Lendeta punted for, what seems like another 10 years, as did Dave Jennings.

Can't think of anybody else off the top of my head that just dominated and made us regret not signing him.

Scoops

</P>

I'm not sure Warner really belongs on this list, as he was a FA acquisition whose sole purpose was to hold the fort until the coaches wanted to put in Eli.</P>

Ohhh... Brad Maynard.</P>

RoanokeFan
03-20-2012, 08:34 PM

Joe Jurevicius (sp)

slipknottin
03-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Joe Jurevicius (sp)

2001 tho? Thats the last guy anyone can think of that the giants really missed when he left? 10 years ago.

Flip Empty
03-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Ryan Grant, perhaps? Not a world beater by any stretch, though.

scoopscj
03-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Matt Stover - Drafted and on IR for the 1990 SB. Retired as a legit HOF kicker for the Ravens.

Oh, and spelling Nazi Ronoakefan! GAHHHH! :) (all smiles)

Scoops

dave56dj
03-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Most of these guys are from a while ago and some UDFA's and no one blew up elsewhere.

Ryan clark (udfa) played nicely at safety for wash and pitt
Olindo mare (udfa) nice career with miami
will allen (1st rounder) actually had some nice years in miami
robbins (fa) had some nice years for rams
Charlie peprah (6th rounder?) starts at S for green bay and has had some nice years but best highlight may be him popping off of hakeem nicks and then nicks gliding into the end zone 50+ yards later.
James butler and Craig dahl (udfa's) played a little safety in st louis - did little
gibril (5th rounder) - got paid - did little
will peterson (3rd rounder) cup of coffee around league - including eagles.
Matt bryant - bounced around - had some nice years as kicker
Jeremy Shockey (1st rounder) - never the world beater we thought he would be - but did win an sb in new orleans - but man that mouth never stopped running

none of these guys are big losses - clark has been around so long and has played nicely. I wouldn't mind having him - then again he's also had his share of injuries

RoanokeFan
03-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Joe Jurevicius (sp)

2001 tho? Thats the last guy anyone can think of that the giants really missed when he left? 10 years ago.

I'm old and my memory is getting so bad I could hide my own Easter eggs! [8-)]

FresnoGiant
03-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Ryan Grant -- was missed. At least for a couple of seasons. He has really fallen off since though.
Plaxico -- had a decent year but only some of us miss him.
Those are the most recent I can think of.

Drez
03-20-2012, 09:20 PM
Ryan Grant -- was missed. At least for a couple of seasons. He has really fallen off since though. Plaxico -- had a decent year but only some of us miss him. Those are the most recent I can think of.</P>

How was Grant missed? We traded him in '07. Jacobs and Ward had pretty good regular seasons, and AB really came on at the end of the season and in the SB run that year. Both BJ and Ward had 1k seasons in '08. I'd hardly say we missed him.</P>

Plax was missed at the time (as in '08 and '08 alone), but we certainly didn't miss him this past season. He had that one game where he was left alone in the endzone like 4 times, but for the most part he was pretty mediocre.</P>

BrandonJacobs
03-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Now compare this list (which we are stuggling to assemble) with the list of players the Giants let go and fans went insane and questioned our front office...

Proof that no matter how big of fans we are, we really don't know squat and there is a reason the people who make the tough decisions are in the positions they are.

... don't forget on the freak out list to include Anthony Mix that's for damn sure

WR4Life
03-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Now compare this list (which we are stuggling to assemble) with the list of players the Giants let go and fans went insane and questioned our front office...

Proof that no matter how big of fans we are, we really don't know squat and there is a reason the people who make the tough decisions are in the positions they are.

... don't forget on the freak out list to include Anthony Mix that's for damn sure

Wow Anthony Mix. That is a name I completely forgot about. People went ape **** when they let him go.

Roosevelt
03-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Kawika Mitchell. We missed him for sure in 2008. But your point is well taken.

Shockeyitus
03-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Jonas Seawright

Shockeyitus
03-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Quincy Monk

BigBlue1971
03-20-2012, 10:34 PM
back in the day Carl Banks went to Washington and stunk the place up!

Blue_Buddha
03-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Visante Shinacoe producesd a bit for Minnesota
Tyrone Wheatley had some nice years for the Raiders
Guy Wimpher is starting tackle somewhere
just remembered Luke Pettigout ...I remember the uproar when he got let go.
Ike hilliard might have done well in TB but I don't remember.
.What did Sam Garnes do after his years with the giants?

miked1958
03-20-2012, 10:42 PM

Perhaps you could argue Cameron Wake, but that was all the way back in 2005.I made this same comment in a few other threads. U are right. We let someone go and the giants FO has someone right there ready to make u forget the last guy.

BJ, AB and DW made us forget Tiki. Boss made us forget shockey. We even won a SB after losing those guys.

After SB win we lose mitchell, Robbins and tabor. Mitchell like u said never really heard from again. Same for Robbins and tabor. We replace them and move on.

Plax hurt us in 08 and we will never know if he didn't shoot himself would we have another title. However we may not draft The WRs we have now had plax stayed.

Loss boss, Ss12 and cofield and we don't miss a beat. And win another SB. Wonder how plax, Barry, Steve and boss feel about having one less ring to wear.

Now we have MM, Ross, BJ and a bunch of others. I say we continue to add and build and not miss those guys. And yes win another SB prior to any of them. Person with best chance is Mario in SF.

JJC7301
03-20-2012, 11:04 PM
I can't think of anyone that we let go that we didn't at least wind up with a replacement for as was a good, if not better.

I remember being upset that we let Brad Maynard go, but then we replaced him with Feagles.

Can't think of one that we let walk that really burned us.

Shockeyitus
03-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Honestly... I was not happy that we let Scary Kerry Collins go... I thought he played great for us and that we made a bad move getting rid of him for some young rookie... And another confession, I liked Rapeleiesberger in 2004 as a better QB prospect.

BeatYale
03-21-2012, 12:27 AM
Kevin Walter was drafted by the Giants 9 years ago, and is still playing in the league today as a 3rd WR for the Texans. He did have back to back 800-900 yard seasons for the Texans a few seasons ago.

njersey
03-21-2012, 12:38 AM
Chad Bratzke did well with Indianapolis after leaving the Giants. 12 sacks his first year.

Jumbo Elliot?

Bohemian
03-21-2012, 12:52 AM

Scoops

I like your list. I would replace Warner with Stover (K).

Bohemian
03-21-2012, 12:55 AM
Honestly... I was not happy that we let Scary Kerry Collins go... I thought he played great for us and that we made a bad move getting rid of him for some young rookie... And another confession, I liked Rapeleiesberger in 2004 as a better QB prospect.

I have to say that you are the first person on this board that I have ever read, that speaks well of Collins. I too liked his ability to throw the ball, and liked how he won with the team, but it was very evident that his inability to scape the rush was a huge liability.

Good post.

bLuereverie
03-21-2012, 06:43 AM
I will NEVER forgive Reese for losing out on Andre Woodson...

Kruunch
03-21-2012, 08:02 AM
Joe Jurevicius (sp)

Ahhh to be a young pup again.

In the past decade the closest person I could think of would be Shockey and he wasn't missed all that much.

You could possibly make the arguement for Dhani Jones but I was never a big fan of his (either with the Giants or after).

Shockeyitus
03-21-2012, 08:12 AM

I have to say that you are the first person on this board that I have ever read, that speaks well of Collins.* I too liked his ability to throw the ball, and liked how he won with the team, but it was very evident that his inability to scape the rush was a huge liability.

Good post.

Kerry was a very servicable quarterback. He did not flash greatness, but did possess the ability to be accurate and he had a cannon for an arm. To your note, he was "Scary" anytime he rolled out of the pocket. It was almost money in the bank that he would throw an INT or fumble the ball.

MattMeyerBud
03-21-2012, 08:18 AM

i dont think anybody was upset when puke left

Roswell777
03-21-2012, 08:34 AM
I remember thinking that the Giants should have held on to Cornelius Griffin.

bLuereverie
03-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Joe Jurevicius (sp)

Ahhh to be a young pup again.

In the past decade the closest person I could think of would be Shockey and he wasn't missed all that much.

You could possibly make the arguement for Dhani Jones but I was never a big fan of his (either with the Giants or after).

I think his career on the Travel Channel was more substantial.

nygsb42champs
03-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Nobody that I can remember. I give the Giants front office a ton of credit for the evalution of the talent on the team.

nygsb42champs
03-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Nobody that I can remember. I give the Giants front office a ton of credit for the evalution of the talent on the team.

NYG 5
03-21-2012, 09:43 AM

I have to say that you are the first person on this board that I have ever read, that speaks well of Collins. I too liked his ability to throw the ball, and liked how he won with the team, but it was very evident that his inability to scape the rush was a huge liability.

Good post.

Kerry was a very servicable quarterback. He did not flash greatness, but did possess the ability to be accurate and he had a cannon for an arm. To your note, he was "Scary" anytime he rolled out of the pocket. It was almost money in the bank that he would throw an INT or fumble the ball.

EA went after Eli because he saw that Eli could survive and carry an inferior team to victory. when the offensive line was bad, Collins fumbled the ball like Kurt Warner, except he didn't have Warner's brain or release to offset it.

Remember how Eli was taking shots during the NFCCG? didn't cough up the ball once. Unless Collins rolled out of bed that day destined to have one of his smart, clutch games, the Giants lose that game off his damn fumbles.

Collins was very good when he had good protection, he carried the Titans in the 2008 playoffs against the Ravens only to have the team fumble the game away. but as he got older and slower and slower, he became a sitting duck back there. Eli is 30 years old now, and carried an inferior offensive line to the Super Bowl. When Collins was 30 in 2003, he carried a bad offensive line to the sideline with fumbles. that's why EA made the trade.

maybe if KC hadn't become a drunk and set himself backwards a few years, of if he found a team with better talent after the Giants the way Kurt Warner did, he could have had a brighter career, but he could never be on Eli's level, has too many faults in his game.

as to OP, Joe Jurevicius went to two more super bowls with two different teams after he left, and the Giants were hurt badly looking for that third WR for a long time.

qndarius3
03-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Ryan Clark ended up being a very solid player

Visanthe Shiancoe ended up being solid

Charlie Peprah is a very good player for GB

Ryan Grant- as others have said

Kevin Walter- as others mentioned

burier
03-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Ryan Grant -- was missed. At least for a couple of seasons. He has really fallen off since though.
Plaxico -- had a decent year but only some of us miss him.
Those are the most recent I can think of.

If we're talking about a situation where we felt totally burned and felt like we made a mistake letting the guy go I can't remember the guy.

Though I do believe Cofield was missed this season. Our inability to stop the run and our lulls in the pass rush department speak to that.

But it had to be done. And Joseph did play pretty well so..

SweetZombieJesus
03-21-2012, 10:17 AM
I know I missed Ed McCaffree when he was winning 2 Super Bowls with the Broncos and being talked about as a top 5 receiver. And a little deja vu when the same thing happened again with Joe Jurevicius.

I also know the 1990 team lost a bunch of guys in free agency like Mark Collins, Pepper Johnson, Jumbo Elliot, Jeff Hostettler, Dave Meggett, and more, and they all had some degree of success with their new teams.

Sanntee31
03-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Does Ron Stone count? I know he went to a Pro-Bowl with the Niners &amp; Raiders once he left the Giants.

Kruunch
03-22-2012, 10:32 AM
I know I missed Ed McCaffree when he was winning 2 Super Bowls with the Broncos and being talked about as a top 5 receiver.* And a little deja vu when the same thing happened again with Joe Jurevicius.

I also know the 1990 team lost a bunch of guys in free agency like Mark Collins, Pepper Johnson, Jumbo Elliot, Jeff Hostettler, Dave Meggett, and more, and they all had some degree of success with their new teams.

We got repeatedly raped in free agency in the 90s.

Please don't make me relive that.

I have a weak stomach.

burier
03-22-2012, 11:13 AM

I have to say that you are the first person on this board that I have ever read, that speaks well of Collins.* I too liked his ability to throw the ball, and liked how he won with the team, but it was very evident that his inability to scape the rush was a huge liability.

Good post.

EA went after Eli because he saw that Eli could survive and carry an inferior team to victory. when the offensive line was bad, Collins fumbled the ball like Kurt Warner, except he didn't have Warner's brain or release to offset it.

Remember how Eli was taking shots during the NFCCG? didn't cough up the ball once. Unless Collins rolled out of bed that day destined to have one of his smart, clutch games, the Giants lose that game off his damn fumbles.

Collins was very good when he had good protection, he carried the Titans in the 2008 playoffs against the Ravens only to have the team fumble the game away. but as he got older and slower and slower, he became a sitting duck back there. Eli is 30 years old now, and carried an inferior offensive line to the Super Bowl. When Collins was 30 in 2003, he carried a bad offensive line to the sideline with fumbles. that's why EA made the trade.

maybe if KC hadn't become a drunk and set himself backwards a few years, of if he found a team with better talent after the Giants the way Kurt Warner did, he could have had a brighter career, but he could never be on Eli's level, has too many faults in his game.

as to OP, Joe Jurevicius went to two more super bowls with two different teams after he left, and the Giants were hurt badly looking for that third WR for a long time.

everything you say is soo true.....I'm not really remembering too many clutch performances from Collins though.

I think he pulled one out late against the Cards one year despite the Wrs suffering from a severe case of the dropsies.

NYG 5
03-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Well, he had a strong finish (excluding the super bowl) down the stretch in 2000.

Had a good run when the team was pushing for a wildcard in 2001, up until the defense blew the lead at philly.

Had a great finish going down the stretch in 2002.

I think he did very well, considering he had old Lomas Brown, Glenn Parker, Dusty Zeigler and Jeff Roehl protecting his blindside for 3 out of 4 seasons.

GreenZone
03-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Excellent thread.

The one that really killed to see how good he was and underrated because of his size: David Patten. Murder to watch the Patsies make good use of him.

The thing to mention here is that there is recognition around the NFL talent evaluators that the talent level is so close around the league, that the Cowboys and Eagles in just the NFC East have a similar caliber of player. So, targeting the Giant free agents this year or in 2008 is not the thing. It is the team formula which made the difference, not the individuals per se. Certainly not the ones not protected this year, even though its painful to lose some of them.

B&RWarrior
03-22-2012, 08:48 PM

Ron Stone comes to mind.

NY4U2
03-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Antonio Pierce havent replaced him yet....

Theansweris42
03-22-2012, 09:03 PM
For the old timers (and I'm including trades):

Fred Dryer and Fran Tarkington

nycisgreat
03-22-2012, 09:16 PM

The only person that I could think of that did okay after they left the Giants probably Mark Bavaro, but I think I am even stretching on that one.

GiantsFanMan
03-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Antonio Pierce havent replaced him yet....
ha true! but we never lost AP in free agency I believe. We released him but he retired right after that.

Giantsin04
03-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Pretty good post. There really isn't anyone that we let go to another team that ended up being missed and considered a mistake.

The only thing is that this is not unique to the giants. If you look around the league, most of the stars, most of the big impact players, are with the team that drafted them. Drew Breed is certainly the exception and not the common finding. Very unlike baseball, where MOST of the stars end up on a different, bigger market team. While they're still good I mean.

Neverend
03-22-2012, 10:44 PM
Maybe Shaincoe

Marvelousmik
03-23-2012, 12:10 AM
I dont see Manningham falling off like these guys . I could see Ross getting cut next season

I think manningham could have a nice career in san fran. But is he that good that the giants wont be able to replace him? Im not so sure. I mean he finished this season with what, 500 yards and 4 TDs?

The giants tend to make players look a lot better than they are. Kevin boss, derick ward, and steve smith were products of our system, and QB. This is why i found the hype about them annoying.

I know you wont agree that steve smith wasnt all that good. But id say he is better than manninham. That being said, manninham won't do much for the 49ers.

Lol the eagles are another team who make players look a lot better than they are, and they use it to rip other teams off

Joe Morrison
03-23-2012, 01:44 AM
Kurt Warner</P>

Know we all love Eli now but I really thing if they stuck with Warnerthe GMEN had a real shot of running the table.</P>

Replaced him with Eli whe Kurt had a winning record and they missed the playoffs and possbibly a shot at the big show.</P>

In the long run everything worked out fine with Eli getting two rings but Kurt could have possibly got one and Eli would have still be successful.</P>

Can't complain, but you asked.</P>

Marvelousmik
03-23-2012, 03:33 AM
Kurt Warner</p>

Know we all love Eli now but I really thing if they stuck with Warnerthe GMEN had a real shot of running the table.</p>

Replaced him with Eli whe Kurt had a winning record and they missed the playoffs and possbibly a shot at the big show.</p>

In the long run everything worked out fine with Eli getting two rings but Kurt could have possibly got one and Eli would have still be successful.</p>

Can't complain, but you asked.</p>

Good point, but the title says
<h2 class="CommonTitle"><span id="_ctl0__ctl1_bcr__ctl0___ForumName">"Who was the last player the giants lost in FA or released that they <font color="#0000FF">missed</font>?"</span></h2>

I don't think we missed him.
</p>

Martyr
03-23-2012, 04:09 AM
What about Jesse Armstead? Who replaced him Brandon Short, Berett Green or someone. Also Mike Barrow I remember the giants having good lb group with those two guys

NYG 5
03-23-2012, 07:15 AM
What about Jesse Armstead? Who replaced him Brandon Short, Berett Green or someone. Also Mike Barrow I remember the giants having good lb group with those two guys

letting Armstead go was bad, he had a rebound, pro bowl year in 2002, and had another good year in 2003. he was just a cap casualty.

they let Barrow go at the right time. he led the NFC in tackles his last year as a Giant, and then got hurt with the skins, played as a special teamer in dallas, then retired.

but Shiancoe has been the greatest missed opportunity the past decade. they let him go young, and when he left, he was better than Shockey. Jurevicius comes in at number 2 because of the big games he showed up in with SEA and TB. he wasn't a playmaker all the time, but was when it mattered. something the Giants offense could have really used before they got Plaxico