PDA

View Full Version : WOW Sean Payton suspended for full season

Vtgmenfan89
03-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Just saw it on sportscenter...that's GREAT for our chances to repeat. Their Gm is suspended 8 games and Gregg Williams (though with STL now) is suspended indefinitely.

They fully deserve this imo. I don't have a problem with performance bonuses for stats and big plays etc, but when you're actually trying to physically ruin people's games, seasons or careers, you've crossed the line. There is no place for that in this league. For once I'm pleased with something Goodell has done. For more reasons than one, like I said this is great for our chances to repeat haha. The Saints were our biggest threat and while they will still be very good this will weaken them to a degree. They also lost two 2nd round picks.

greenca190
03-21-2012, 01:06 PM
What do you do if you're New Orleans? Is someone going to come in from the current staff just to know they lose their job next year? Or do you clean house and start over?

yatitle
03-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Could not have happened to a guy more deserving. They should make him wear a scarlet letter if he returns to the sidelines.

bklyn1028
03-21-2012, 01:18 PM
You can bet you @ss he'll be coaching from a cell phone or skype or something. He should have been suspended for 2 yrs and williams banned for life.

Redeyejedi
03-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Spags will be the head coach for the Saints I bet

G-Man67
03-21-2012, 01:24 PM
might i suggest</P>

http://bigapplemetstalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Bobby-Vs-disguise.jpg</P>

Redeyejedi
03-21-2012, 01:24 PM
What do you do if you're New Orleans? Is someone going to come in from the current staff just to know they lose their job next year? Or do you clean house and start over?Spags will be the Head Coach

MikeIsaGiant
03-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Good. I hope he has fun

C1010
03-21-2012, 01:26 PM
They will most likely put one of the coordinators as an interim coach. I'm curious to see which players get suspended.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 01:27 PM
We know from earlier reports that the Saints' owner told both Mickey Loomis and Sean Payton to put an end to the practice after they originally lied to the NFL in 2010 about the practice. If I were Benson, I'd seriously consider a change in coaches and GM. Not so sure that will happen given the almighty quest for winning, but how does Benson now trust those two?

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 01:28 PM
What do you do if you're New Orleans? Is someone going to come in from the current staff just to know they lose their job next year? Or do you clean house and start over?Spags will be the Head Coach

He's already taken, no? Are they going to not look at his tenure in St. Louis?

sc_markt
03-21-2012, 01:28 PM
A whole season? Good!

Kruunch
03-21-2012, 01:29 PM

I would assume Pete Carmichael the OC.

He took over on the field for Payton when his leg was busted.

Iron Hand Goodell strikes again!

P.S. - Sean Payton just got fined $6,000,000 muhahahaha!

C1010
03-21-2012, 01:34 PM

Carmichael is likely. That said I'd like to see Goodell take care of retired players since he's making it a point to address player safety.

Kruunch
03-21-2012, 01:36 PM
. That said I'd like to see Goodell take care of retired players since he's making it a point to address player safety.

Won't happen past some token changes. That's all ownership.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 01:36 PM

You know, as has been the case is so many instances of celebrity wrong doing, I am willing to bet that the fact that they originally lied about the issue and then had the balls to continue the program is why the consequences are so severe.

Flip Empty
03-21-2012, 01:37 PM

He's their DC. Yeah, his run in STL will probably eliminate him from consideration.

C1010
03-21-2012, 01:37 PM
. That said I'd like to see Goodell take care of retired players since he's making it a point to address player safety.

Won't happen past some token changes. That's all ownership.

I think I forgot a few words there, I meant I wanted Goodell to address giving retired players proper benefits since they risked their safety for the game.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 01:39 PM

He's they're DC. Yeah, his run in STL will probably eliminate him from consideration.

Don't get me wrong, I wish he had come back to us as DC, but he's going to have to regroup before another HC offer comes his way.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 01:39 PM

He's they're DC. Yeah, his run in STL will probably eliminate him from consideration.

Don't get me wrong, I wish he had come back to us as DC, but he's going to have to regroup before another HC offer comes his way.

Vtgmenfan89
03-21-2012, 01:43 PM
We know from earlier reports that the Saints' owner told both Mickey Loomis and Sean Payton to put an end to the practice after they originally lied to the NFL in 2010 about the practice.* If I were Benson, I'd seriously consider a change in coaches and GM.* Not so sure that will happen given the almighty quest for winning, but how does Benson now trust those two?

A very great point there at the end, I was thinking the same thing. It would not shock me in the least if he let both of them go. However winning is everything and Sean Payton is one of the best offensive playcallers in the game. However as an owner of an NFL franchise it would absolutely be the right thing to do. Man the Saints got their Super Bowl win but they are spiraling back into a black hole. This situation, Brees' contract situation, losing draft picks...just wow. Like I said though it's great for us! Haha

GiantWarfare
03-21-2012, 01:48 PM
holy crap, Goodell laid the hammer down on the Saints...lol.

GmenFan1980
03-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Patriots fan- "everyone did it, We were just made an example out of. We did nothing wrong!"

Saints fan- "Everyone does it, We were just made an example out of. We did nothing wrong!"

lol :P

swimeasy
03-21-2012, 02:08 PM

You know, as has been the case is so many instances of celebrity wrong doing, I am willing to bet that the fact that they originally lied about the issue and then had the balls to continue the program is why the consequences are so severe.

IA totally. The blatant disregard didn't exactly support how sorry they might have said they are now. And I also agree with you Ro about Bensen's trust going forward since Loomis and Payton were insubordinate in their continued behaviors and secrecy.

Have to say, I feel badly for their fans who are innocent victims here.

G-Man67
03-21-2012, 02:12 PM
that is actually a little much ... maybe 8 games ... i think Goodell took it personally that they totally ignorned him ... the Saints kinda what-evered him</P>

this will test my theory though that the players are around 85% responsible for a teams success ... altho that was more of a cooridinator deal ... the head coach can be much more important since he creates the environment ... (i.e. Jets asylum vs. Giants structure)</P>

nevertheless, i see the Saints making the playoffs</P>

Kruunch
03-21-2012, 02:19 PM

I think most of the punishment is more "example" setting.

Bounty systems have been going on forever. It was just the Saints that got caught.

Williams already admitted doing it everywhere else he's been ... none of those teams got punished.

VegasGmen
03-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Love it!!!!

slipknottin
03-21-2012, 02:24 PM
that is actually a little much ... maybe 8 games ... i think Goodell took it personally that they totally ignorned him ... the Saints kinda what-evered him

Theres more to it. There are all sorts of legal liability issues.

Every single one of the players who got hurt could sue the NFL over this.

League had to have severe punishments to have legal defense.

Deterrent for other teams is another benefit.

swimeasy
03-21-2012, 02:36 PM
that is actually a little much ... maybe 8 games ... i think Goodell took it personally that they totally ignorned him ... the Saints kinda what-evered him

Theres more to it. There are all sorts of legal liability issues.

Every single one of the players who got hurt could sue the NFL over this.

League had to have severe punishments to have legal defense.

Deterrent for other teams is another benefit.</p>

^This! This is far from over.
</p>

Dirt66
03-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Couldn't have happened to a more deserving team! I wish I could have seen the look on Payton's face when he got hit with this one. He is a flat out liar and got what he deserved. GO GIANTS!

GmenFan1980
03-21-2012, 03:00 PM
"FROM TWITTER
I am speechless. Sean Payton is a great man, coach, and mentor. The best there is. I need to hear an explanation for this punishment
@drewbrees Drew Brees Retweet"

Garbloz
03-21-2012, 03:08 PM
goodell i think did it right this time. we are talking about injuring people. on the streets it would be assault and jail time. i do think they should of lost more picks though. i want hard hitting football but not purposely trying to injure people there is a big difference.

SackingMyths
03-21-2012, 03:40 PM
"FROM TWITTER
I am speechless. Sean Payton is a great man, coach, and mentor. The best there is. I need to hear an explanation for this punishment

Sean Payton is a great man, coach, and mentor...False

The best there is...Mega False

I need to hear an explanation for this punishment...Actually, the Commissioner doesn't need to explain anything to you or your brown smear

IamGiantsfan
03-21-2012, 03:46 PM
"FROM TWITTER

*I need to hear an explanation for this punishment...Actually, the Commissioner doesn't need to explain anything to you or your brown smear

Damn you guys really hate the saints...

Bing Crosby
03-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Good to hear. Well done to the comish.

yatitle
03-21-2012, 03:58 PM
"FROM TWITTER

*I need to hear an explanation for this punishment...Actually, the Commissioner doesn't need to explain anything to you or your brown smear

This

jhamburg
03-21-2012, 04:04 PM
"FROM TWITTER

When Payton gets back next year I wonder if he'll run up the score every game like Belichick did in '07.

Oh wait, he already does that every game. LOL

AGiantDynasty
03-21-2012, 04:49 PM

Thats not fair. St. Louis is an awful team before he got there. I don't hold it against first time HC's to not turn around a bottom feeder franchise in a few years.

Put Spags on a decent team with a decent roster and I think he can easily be a playoff coach.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 05:20 PM

I think most of the punishment is more "example" setting.

Bounty systems have been going on forever. It was just the Saints that got caught.

Williams already admitted doing it everywhere else he's been ... none of those teams got punished.

Given the push by the League and the NFLPA, I think it's less surprising and I also think warranted. You can bet everyone will think twice about such issues going forward.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 05:21 PM

Thats not fair. St. Louis is an awful team before he got there. I don't hold it against first time HC's to not turn around a bottom feeder franchise in a few years.

Put Spags on a decent team with a decent roster and I think he can easily be a playoff coach.

Your loyalty is admirable, but you don't know that's true. He had a chance and it didn't work out. He'll get another chance down the road. Failure is a great motivator and educator.

Harooni
03-21-2012, 05:28 PM
wow , why is everyone saying this is good???, and then we wonder why football is moving toward flag football.

its not godells fault i see its the fans that want it this way.

so what if they had intentions of taking the other qb out, as long as it was clean and not late hits i have no problem with that.

you can bet all defenses wish to qachieve that i know we took out many qb's

giantsfan420
03-21-2012, 05:32 PM
I remember when this story first broke I made a thread about payton being suspened a year williams 3 years and loss of picks and people were saying no way it'd be that steep but they forgot payton is a repeat offender. He had the vicodin scandal when they were being passed around their lockerrom and the assistant was stealing from the medical supply and payton had no medical reason for taking them. Then they had that booster scandal where a known felon was involved with the teams, he even contributed to the bounty gate and had issues with reggie bush. Then this. The penalty is extremely fair and glad goodell got it right.

Now an nfc powerhouse has been reduced to rubble and they deserved it, so good news for the giants chance of repeat as one of their toughest adversary is now coachless and without some draft picks

keyofgmen
03-21-2012, 06:02 PM
I sure would not want to be on Bourbon St tonight! They better up the mounted police!

jhamburg
03-21-2012, 06:09 PM
wow , why is everyone saying this is good???, and then we wonder why football is moving toward flag football.

so what if they had intentions of taking the other qb out, as long as it was clean and not late hits i have no problem with that.

But there were late hits....like so, so many late hits...

SackingMyths
03-21-2012, 06:16 PM

Players have incentives and contract escalators for LEGAL HITS already that are approved by the NFL. It's a violent sport, and always will be. You don't need to teach, reinforce and reward putting someone else's livelihood in danger in a manner that falls outside of the rules.

Why not pay the troops overseas for killshots on children and award medals for kills on pregnant women? War is inherently violent- you don't need to add reprehensible human behavior and subsequent approval into the equation.

War...football...they're violent enough as it is and nothing will ever change that. When you hand out envelopes to players with money in them to knock a human being out of the game then you've crossed a line. Maybe you need this demonstrated on you to fully understand.

High schools, colleges, kids and adults alike all around the world are watching intentfully to see whether this type of behavior is tolerated and for this reason (and this reason alone), I'm happy that Goodell sent the right message.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 06:18 PM
"FROM TWITTER
I am speechless. Sean Payton is a great man, coach, and mentor. The best there is. <font color="#0000FF">I need to hear an explanation for this punishment</font>

Who the hell is Brees to be making demands?

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 06:20 PM

H, you can't go out to purposely injure other players for money

nycsportzfan
03-21-2012, 06:47 PM
Just saw it on sportscenter...that's GREAT for our chances to repeat. Their Gm is suspended 8 games and Gregg Williams (though with STL now) is suspended indefinitely. They fully deserve this imo. I don't have a problem with performance bonuses for stats and big plays etc, but when you're actually trying to physically ruin people's games, seasons or careers, you've crossed the line. There is no place for that in this league. For once I'm pleased with something Goodell has done. For more reasons than one, like I said this is great for our chances to repeat haha. The Saints were our biggest threat and while they will still be very good this will weaken them to a degree. They also lost two 2nd round picks. Roger Goodell is no freaking joke! I got mad respect for that dude... Hes gangster!

jomo
03-21-2012, 06:48 PM

H, you can't go our to purposely injure other players for money
League's got $500,000,000 in player lawsuits hanging over them over allegations that they didn't do enough to prevent head injuries. In that context he should have been suspended at a minimum for conduct detrimental to the league.</P>

Beyond that, it was simply the wrong thing to do. We don't need that.</P>

nycsportzfan
03-21-2012, 06:49 PM
These players and coaches gotta stop thinking there bigger then the game, and the rules.. Going out and getting rewarded for hurting someone is dispicable! I hope the rest of the league takes notice, and realizes goodell is no joke, and u better go out and play and obey the rules!

redbeardxxv
03-21-2012, 06:49 PM

He's already taken, no?* Are they going to not look at his tenure in St. Louis?

Thats not fair.* St. Louis is an awful team before he got there.* I don't hold it against first time HC's to not turn around a bottom feeder franchise in a few years.

Put Spags on a decent team with a decent roster and I think he can easily be a playoff coach.*

Spags is the current DC in NO, he has HC experience AND Playoff experience. He is the logical choice to take over until SP gets back. Given a roster as talented as NO, I think Spags will surprise a lot of people. NO will still make the playoffs this year. Bet on it.

CTLadyBlue
03-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Maybe I missed the explanation or I'm just THAT dumb - but HOW do you suspend a GM from games? They don't play or coach. What is their role during a game that NO's was suspended for 8 games?

JMFP2
03-21-2012, 06:52 PM
It will be interesting to see what Spags can do with a talented NFL team.</P>

As far as Payton is concerned....the NFL had no choice but to lay the wood on him. He's lucky he wasn't fired for defying the NFL and his boss when they informed him the bounty system needed to be stopped.</P>

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 07:30 PM

H, you can't go our to purposely injure other players for money
League's got $500,000,000 in player lawsuits hanging over them over allegations that they didn't do enough to prevent head injuries. In that context he should have been suspended at a minimum for conduct detrimental to the league.</p>

Beyond that, it was simply the wrong thing to do. We don't need that.</p>

I was just listening to SIRIUS a bit ago and, predictably, they are all outraged. They were interviewing a former Saints' WR who was less that supportive of the Commissioner suggesting he get suspended. His main argument was that it's not fair to just penalize the Saints and that they should have done a "thorough investigation" and gone after everyone I guess. What I didn't hear form anyone on that particular segment was the lie/cover up in which they all acknowledged participating.

His secondary argument was that all teams do/did this. But he kept saying players paying players and that's not what we have here. This was a team sponsored bounty system led by a coach and permitted by the head coach and GM.

Wait until individual players are dealt with....

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Maybe I missed the explanation or I'm just THAT dumb - but HOW do you suspend a GM from games? They don't play or coach. What is their role during a game that NO's was suspended for 8 games?

His suspension is without pay for a period of time. They just used games as a descriptor of the start and finish of the terms of the suspension.

n420p69
03-21-2012, 07:41 PM
I think Goodell did a good job on suspending all those involved in this bounty thing. I do think all teams to a degree have something like this I don't think it is as organized as the Saints was. I don't particularly care for the Saints anyway so who really cares what happens to them.

giantsfan420
03-21-2012, 08:19 PM

His suspension is without pay for a period of time.** They just used games as a descriptor of the start and finish of the terms of the suspension.

Also what noone seems to have realized, the gm is the one who does the personnel and roster stuff, esp signign of FAs and trades. So, who now takes over the contract talks with brees? Espn radio brought this up and how it could be a huge factor with brees bc now only the owner is allowed to do the contracts and stuff. Owners usually are just the bank backers of the team and generally don't have the expertise of gm in regards to roster personnel.

Now that brees sees NO will HAVE to resign him bc of no payton, brees could ask for alot more. And the gm wouldn't be involved so in essence the whole thing goes on limbo. This is going to be interesting to see if brees, who is bascially a clone of payton out on thw field, will want a kings ransom now and whether the saints have anyone to handle his negotiations. I never listen to sports radio but had to tune into espn radio and this was a focal point

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 08:32 PM

His suspension is without pay for a period of time. They just used games as a descriptor of the start and finish of the terms of the suspension.

Also what noone seems to have realized, the gm is the one who does the personnel and roster stuff, esp signign of FAs and trades. So, who now takes over the contract talks with brees? Espn radio brought this up and how it could be a huge factor with brees bc now only the owner is allowed to do the contracts and stuff. Owners usually are just the bank backers of the team and generally don't have the expertise of gm in regards to roster personnel.

Now that brees sees NO will HAVE to resign him bc of no payton, brees could ask for alot more. And the gm wouldn't be involved so in essence the whole thing goes on limbo. This is going to be interesting to see if brees, who is bascially a clone of payton out on thw field, will want a kings ransom now and whether the saints have anyone to handle his negotiations. I never listen to sports radio but had to tune into espn radio and this was a focal point

They took all of that into account. His suspension doesn't start until the season starts. He should have plenty of time to get free agency into the rear view mirror.

I don't think Brees will get more than Peyton Manning

GmenFan1980
03-22-2012, 03:18 AM
Patriots fan- "everyone did it, We were just made an example out of. We did nothing wrong!"

Saints fan- "Everyone does it, We were just made an example out of. We did nothing wrong!"

Quotes from Saints fans

"I understand they wanted to make a point, but why didn't they come down on the other teams that have done it?" he said. "It's not like the Saints are the only ones. There have been teams that have admitted doing the same thing."

"I will not watch the NFL for the next year," said Brent Ardeneaux, a 30-year-fan and season ticket holder. "I will not buy any of their products or support them in any way. And I think all Saints fans should do the same. This is outrageous, way outdone."

"Looks like we are the scapegoat of the league," said Gail Thomas. "We've always known the NFL doesn't like the Saints so when they got the chance, they took it." (this one made me laugh the most)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827c7f7e/article/saints-fans-speak-out-against-leagues-punishment-for-bounties?module=HP11_headline_stack

CTLadyBlue
03-22-2012, 07:31 AM

Quotes from Saints fans

"I understand they wanted to make a point, but why didn't they come down on the other teams that have done it?" he said. "It's not like the Saints are the only ones. There have been teams that have admitted doing the same thing."

"I will not watch the NFL for the next year," said Brent Ardeneaux, a 30-year-fan and season ticket holder. "I will not buy any of their products or support them in any way. And I think all Saints fans should do the same. This is outrageous, way outdone."

"Looks like we are the scapegoat of the league," said Gail Thomas. "We've always known the NFL doesn't like the Saints so when they got the chance, they took it." (this one made me laugh the most)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827c7f7e/article/saints-fans-speak-out-against-leagues-punishment-for-bounties?module=HP11_headline_stack

WHY didn't they come down on other teams? Probably because the Saints got CAUGHT where other teams have kept it on the downlow. Man, these Saints fans are ridiculous. As a Giants fan, i I found out they were doing this, there was proof and they received the same punishment, I would be SO disappointed in my TEAM - NOT the NFL. Are these fans so desperate for their almight team to stay in one piece that they could care less what opposing player gets carted off the field or winds up paralyzed because of this bounty crap.

I don't care how long it's been going on, the fact is - this 'scapegoat punishment' sets a prescent to other teams that the NFL is watching and eventualy you will get caught so watch out

bandwgn86
03-22-2012, 08:04 AM
You folks are soft :)

It's not like the Saints were playing dirty along with this bounty system. They were playing hard football, that's what everyone wants from their defence.
So know I imagine everytime there's a big hit and an offensive player has to leave the game there will be an investigation.

Mr Williams my CFL team is in need of a great DC and we'd love to have you.

bandwgn86
03-22-2012, 08:12 AM
No wonder James Harrison didn't mind getting fined for his rough play... He was paying those fines off with the winnings from the Steelers bounty pool. Lol