PDA

View Full Version : ***NFL SUSPENDS SAINTS' COACH PAYTON FOR ONE YEAR WITHOUT PAY***

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 02:08 PM
NFL SUSPENDS SAINTS' COACH PAYTON FOR ONE YEAR WITHOUT PAY (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827c0dd9/article/nfl-suspends-saints-coach-payton-for-one-year-without-pay)

"The NFL announced Wednesday that New Orleans Saints (/teams/neworleanssaints/profile?team=NO) coach Sean
Payton will be suspended for one season without pay for his involvement in the
team's bounty program. Saints general manager Mickey Loomis has been suspended
for eight games. Former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has been suspended
indefinitely.<div id="yui_3_4_1_1_1332349600015_91" class="articleText">

The team has also been fined $500,000 and will have to give up its
second-round picks in the 2012 and 2013 NFL Drafts.</p>

In addition, Saints assistant head coach Joe Vitt has been suspended without
pay for the first six games of the 2012 season.</p>

Payton's suspension is without pay. It will begin April 1. Loomis' suspension
will be for the first eight games of the 2012 season.</p>

The NFL revealed March 2 the findings of a lengthy investigation into <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1332349600015_303" href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d82757bcd" target="_blank">a Saints
"bounty" program</a> that gave thousands of dollars in payoffs to players for
hits that knocked opponents out of games. The program, administered by
then-defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, reached its height in 2009, the
season the Saints won the Super Bowl.</p>

The program ran in violation of league rules, and the investigation showed
that Saints players received $1,500 for a "knockout" hit and $1,000 for a
"cart-off" hit, with payouts doubling or tripling during the team's three
playoff appearances.</p>

The NFL Players Association formally requested that <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1332349600015_304" href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d8279982a" target="_blank">the league not
punish the 22 to 27 players</a> it cited in the scandal until the union had
completed its independent investigation, which is underway, an NFLPA source told
NFL.com's Steve Wyche.</p>

The league initially did not respond to the union's request. The <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1332349600015_305" href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d827a3a02">NFL told the NFLPA last
Thursday</a>, according to SI.com, that it was free to question any current or
former Saints officials about the matter, but that it would not delay announcing
its own decisions.</p>

"We have given your requests careful consideration, and have concluded that
there is no basis for delaying the imposition of any discipline in this matter,
and particularly not as it may apply to a club or any non-player employee of a
club," NFL attorney Jeff Pash wrote in the letter to union general counsel
Richard Berthelsen on Wednesday. "Any disciplinary action affecting any player
would be imposed only in a manner consistent with our Collective Bargaining
Agreement. As you know, the sole authority to investigate and impose discipline
in this matter rests with the Commissioner."</p>

Williams, now defensive coordinator of the Rams, has admitted to and
apologized for running the program.</p>

Saints head coach Sean Payton and general manager Mickey Loomis also were
implicated in the scandal, and they released a statement March 6 in which <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1332349600015_306" href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d8276b3b6">they took full
responsibility</a> for the violations.</p>

"We acknowledge that the violations disclosed by the NFL during their
investigation of our club happened under our watch. We take full responsibility.
This has brought undue hardship on (owner Tom) Benson, who had nothing to do
with this activity. He has been nothing but supportive and for that we both
apologize to him.</p>

"These are serious violations and we understand the negative impact it has
had on our game. Both of us have made it clear within our organization that this
will never happen again, and make that same promise to the NFL and most
importantly to all of our fans."</p>

SAINTS' SEAN PAYTON SUSPENDED FOR YEAR, RAMS' GREGG WILLIAMS BANNED INDEFINITELY FOR INVOLVEMENT IN "BOUNTY PROGRAM" (http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/03/saints_sean_payton_suspended_f.html)
</p>

"The NFL has suspended New Orleans head coach Sean Payton for the 2012 season,
and former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is banned from the league
indefinitely because of the team's bounty program that targeted opposing
players.</p><div class="entry-content">

Commissioner Roger Goodell will review Williams' status after the upcoming
season and consider whether he can return to the league.</p>

Also today, Goodell suspended Saints general manager Mickey Loomis for the
first eight regular-season games of 2012, and assistant coach Joe Vitt has to
sit out the first six games.</p>

In addition, the Saints are being fined $500,000 and forfeit second-round
draft picks this year and in 2013."</p></div></div>

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 02:10 PM
The loss of pay won't ruin Payton financially, but what, if anything, does this do to his reputation and future?

Mod_C
03-21-2012, 02:19 PM
How about those apples.

cornerback30
03-21-2012, 02:48 PM
I hope Coughlin takes a stand against this crap and any and all things else that can bring this type of shame against the organization.We don't need this type of press,that being said I hope we haven't engaged in this type of junk,and I still say it's good for the Saints,can't stand these clowns,been in the league for years and has been known for being losers,they have had a couple of good seasons and now they think they s*** don't stink.Congratulations to all who dats,cheaters never prosper.If I was Goodell I would have taken their SB Title back cheating *******s.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 03:04 PM
<font color="#0000FF">I hope Coughlin takes a stand against this crap and</font> any and all things else that can bring this type of shame against the organization.We don't need this type of press,that being said I hope we haven't engaged in this type of junk,and I still say it's good for the Saints,can't stand these clowns,been in the league for years and has been known for being losers,they have had a couple of good seasons and now they think they s*** don't stink.Congratulations to all who dats,cheaters never prosper.If I was Goodell I would have taken their SB Title back cheating *******s.

Coughlin did just within the past few weeks.

gmen46
03-21-2012, 03:12 PM
The loss of pay won't ruin Payton financially, but what, if anything, does this do to his reputation and future?

Losing 1 year of pay may not ruin him, but who knows what his overall financial situation is? Losing a (reported) $6 million salary for a year has to at least seriously HURT.

My guess (emphasize "guess") about damage to his reputation is, he will likely still be valued as a HC by several teams, but that there are a few owners whose principles would prevent them from bringing him into their organizations in any future scenario--like Giants and Steelers, for example.

And it's certainly anybody's guess as to whether Benson brings him back next year, after the suspension.

In my view--and this is all speculation, of course, and not necessarily a personal judgement on my part--he's tainted now, regardless of his direct or indirect involvement.

This is all uncharted territory for the league.

bansaw
03-21-2012, 06:39 PM
[:O]

[B][B][B]

[:O]

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 06:50 PM

Losing 1 year of pay may not ruin him, but who knows what his overall financial situation is? Losing a (reported) $6 million salary for a year has to at least seriously HURT.

My guess (emphasize "guess") about damage to his reputation is, he will likely still be valued as a HC by several teams, but that there are a few owners whose principles would prevent them from bringing him into their organizations in any future scenario--like Giants and Steelers, for example.

And it's certainly anybody's guess as to whether Benson brings him back next year, after the suspension.

In my view--and this is all speculation, of course, and not necessarily a personal judgement on my part--he's tainted now, regardless of his direct or indirect involvement.

This is all uncharted territory for the league.

It will be interesting to hear all of the "experts'" points-of-view.

bansaw
03-21-2012, 06:57 PM
suspension gets reduced after appeal imo

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 07:04 PM

I wouldn't be too sure. I know the coaches have a union but having already admitted their individual and collective guilt, there's not a lot to appeal. I would not be surprised top learn that Goodell told them this was coming when they went to 230 Park Avenue last week.

How would Goodell reduce Payton's "sentence" when Loomis has no union affiliation. I'm pretty sure they are going to take their lumps and if I were the owner, whose instructions they reportedly ignored, I'd make damn sure they did.

gmen46
03-21-2012, 08:03 PM

I wouldn't be too sure.* I know the coaches have a union* but having already admitted their individual and collective guilt, there's not a lot to appeal.* I would not be surprised top learn that Goodell told them this was coming when they went to 230 Park Avenue last week.

How would Goodell reduce Payton's "sentence" when Loomis has no union affiliation.** I'm pretty sure they are going to take their lumps and if I were the owner, whose instructions they reportedly ignored, I'd make damn sure they did.

Exactly so.

n420p69
03-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Payton seems like a major ******* so good riddance.

P_Simms_#11
03-21-2012, 09:05 PM
'

miked1958
03-21-2012, 11:25 PM
Guys the NFL just allowed the Saints to be able to sign Bree's to a long term deal like he wants.

With 2 coaches and a GM suspended without pay they enabled the saints to resign their QB who did not want to play under the franchise tag.

Not sure what the asst coach and the GM make but Payton alone makes almost 8 million a yr by himself...

Thoughts

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Guys the NFL just allowed the Saints to be able to sign Bree's to a long term deal like he wants.

With 2 coaches and a GM suspended without pay they enabled the saints to resign their QB who did not want to play under the franchise tag.

Not sure what the asst coach and the GM make but Payton alone makes almost 8 million a yr by himself...

Thoughts

How do the suspensions affect Brees's contract? The GM doesn't start his suspension until opening day. The salaries of the coaches and GM have nothing to do with the CAP if that's what you are getting at.

miked1958
03-21-2012, 11:54 PM

Thoughts

How do the suspensions affect Brees's contract?* The GM doesn't start his suspension until opening day.* The salaries of the coaches and GM have nothing to do with the CAP if that's what you are getting at.

Well I thought the same thing. But just read a report on espn.com that said they can take some of that saved money that the coaches and GM would have been pd and use it to sign Bree's to long term deal. Hold on I will get u a link

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 11:57 PM

Thoughts

How do the suspensions affect Brees's contract? The GM doesn't start his suspension until opening day. The salaries of the coaches and GM have nothing to do with the CAP if that's what you are getting at.

Well I thought the same thing. But just read a report on espn.com that said they can take some of that saved money that the coaches and GM would have been pd and use it to sign Bree's to long term deal. Hold on I will get u a link

I think they're wrong. Only players salaries count against the salary CAP which is why it's negotiated with the NFLPA. Teams can pay their other employees whatever they want since those salaries are not govened by the CBA.

miked1958
03-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Here's the quote from the piece..

"As long as Brees can hold things together, the Saints can still win the NFC South or earn a wild-card spot. But he can't do it being unhappy with a one-year franchise tag. The Saints need to take some of the money they are saving by not paying Payton, general manager Mickey Loomis and assistant coach Joe Vitt and put those dollars toward making Brees happy. Payton alone makes $7.5 million."

Here's the link:

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=7718594

RoanokeFan
03-22-2012, 12:00 AM

"As long as Brees can hold things together, the Saints can still win the NFC South or earn a wild-card spot. But he can't do it being unhappy with a one-year franchise tag. The Saints need to take some of the money they are saving by not paying Payton, general manager Mickey Loomis and assistant coach Joe Vitt and put those dollars toward making Brees happy. Payton alone makes $7.5 million."

I don't agree. Just because it's ESPN doesn't mean they have a clue. If teams could do that, there would be very little need for all of the restructuring we see going on every year. They could simply reduce the pay of their not-[layer staff or cut jobs off the payroll to make ends meet.

miked1958
03-22-2012, 12:01 AM
Well sorry. It didn't come out as a link. On an iPad so not sure how to link it but that is a story called " Saints Super? Not a Chance". From espn.com.. Talking about how saints won't be able to overcome this not having paytons play calling on sidelines will cost them 3 wins. Said they may go from a 12 win team to a 9 win team.

RoanokeFan
03-22-2012, 12:03 AM
Well sorry. It didn't come out as a link. On an iPad so not sure how to link it but that is a story called " Saints Super? Not a Chance". From espn.com.. Talking about how saints won't be able to overcome this not having paytons play calling on sidelines will cost them 3 wins. Said they may go from a 12 win team to a 9 win team.

I was able to read what you linked, I still say it's wrong. Think of it this way. How many players would have agreed to let non-players have a significant piece of the players' only pie? NONE I am sure.

miked1958
03-22-2012, 12:04 AM

I don't agree.* Just because it's ESPN doesn't mean they have a* clue.* If teams could do that, there would be very little need for all of the restructuring we see going on every year.* They could simply reduce the pay of their not-[layer staff or cut jobs off the payroll to make ends meet.

Oh I agree.
Plus if that were the case don't u think the NFL would take that money so they can't use it till the coaches are hired back or give it up in Penalities to the league, or to charity

miked1958
03-22-2012, 12:06 AM
It would in a sense almost be like rewarding them for doing illegal stuff. They would have all this new found money to resign their guys or go out and sign new guys,..

Wouldn't be fair or right IMO

miked1958
03-22-2012, 12:08 AM
So in your opinion what would happen to that money. Does it sit in a bank account and earn the saints a TON OF INTEREST. What? Enlighten me.. Cause this is making me mad if they are able to do this.

miked1958
03-22-2012, 12:11 AM
I know one had nothing to do with the other but it's almost like the nfl is saying we know you don't have enough money to keep Bree's in NO and keep him happy. So here is a bunch of money to resign him. We at the NFL know your city needs the saints to survive and without Bree's they go back to being the Aints