PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Lofton?

Kruunch
03-21-2012, 02:50 PM
With Goff shopping himself and no great MLB prospects in the draft (short of trading up which we never do), what do you guys think about Curtis Lofton coming to the Giants?

Yes it would be expensive ... but it'd lock the position up for 5 years easy and we could possibly waggle enough out of our cap to grab him.

Thoughts?

Roxersboxers
03-21-2012, 02:52 PM
IDK...im kind of holding out hope Hightower falls to us in the Draft. But that could be a pipe dream.

Kruunch
03-21-2012, 02:55 PM
IDK...im kind of holding out hope Hightower falls to us in the Draft. But that could be a pipe dream.

Vonta Hightower is very possible to fall to us.

However at best, Vonta is a similar player as Curtis Lofton. So why gamble? Just get Lofton no?

Redeyejedi
03-21-2012, 02:55 PM
With Goff shopping himself and no great MLB prospects in the draft (short of trading up which we never do), what do you guys think about Curtis Lofton coming to the Giants?

Yes it would be expensive ... but it'd lock the position up for 5 years easy and we could possibly waggle enough out of our cap to grab him.

Thoughts?Might not be that expensive. Might be able to get someone cheap on a short term deal

dayeh33
03-21-2012, 02:57 PM
The guy is a tackle machine and would be an instant upgrade... Imagine Kiwi Lofton and Boley as our LB's with our Dline?

GameTime
03-21-2012, 02:58 PM
With Goff shopping himself and no great MLB prospects in the draft (short of trading up which we never do), what do you guys think about Curtis Lofton coming to the Giants? Yes it would be expensive ... but it'd lock the position up for 5 years easy and we could possibly waggle enough out of our cap to grab him. Thoughts?Might not be that expensive. <FONT color=#000080 size=4>Might be able to get someone cheap on a short term deal</FONT></P>

thats been the Giants MO for years. They need a solid MLB. Not a stop gap</P>

Flip Empty
03-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Hah, reunite him with Boley

Kruunch
03-21-2012, 03:04 PM
With Goff shopping himself and no great MLB prospects in the draft (short of trading up which we never do), what do you guys think about Curtis Lofton coming to the Giants? Yes it would be expensive ... but it'd lock the position up for 5 years easy and we could possibly waggle enough out of our cap to grab him. Thoughts?Might not be that expensive. <FONT color=#000080 size=4>Might be able to get someone cheap on a short term deal</FONT></P>

thats been the Giants MO for years. They need a solid MLB. Not a stop gap</P>

+1

Just not sure we'd pony up the money for him.

TheEnigma
03-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Something tells me we would go back to Chase instead of signing Lofton.

Just a hunch.

TrueBlue@NYC
03-22-2012, 12:55 AM
Would only POTENTIALLY happen if somehow the LBer market dries up without him getting the big $$ he's looking for. He may take a short-term deal (maybe 1 or 2 years) at a value so that he's got a chance to hit the market again in 2014 when teams have more money to throw around.

w_mann5
03-22-2012, 03:58 AM
Isn't Lofton re-signing with the Falcons?

BigBlue9280
03-22-2012, 04:03 AM
Curtis Lofton and Stephen Tulloch are both young, accomplished Mike linebackers looking for their big payday...a payday that the Giants are most likely not going to be giving out. The Giants, especially considering JR's luck last year, are most likely going to be drafting more linebackers, or just go with guys we already have like Greg Jones or Jaquan Williams. Especially after the Eagles robbing the Texans blind for DeMeco Ryans, Giants fans, myself included, really would like to see an upgrade in our own linebacking unit, but I doubt it will be through free agency.

bLuereverie
03-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Giants still need to make moves just to sign draftees. In theory, he can be signed, but not unless you cut several substantial players.

MattMeyerBud
03-22-2012, 09:43 AM

Thoughts?

i heard somewhere last week that the cap is going up significantly in the next 2 years... or its at least expected to..

With that news i've lost all reality of what to do cap wise.

B

MattMeyerBud
03-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Curtis Lofton and Stephen Tulloch are both young, accomplished Mike linebackers looking for their big payday...a payday that the Giants are most likely not going to be giving out. The Giants, especially considering JR's luck last year, are most likely going to be drafting more linebackers, or just go with guys we already have like Greg Jones or Jaquan Williams. Especially after the Eagles robbing the Texans blind for DeMeco Ryans, Giants fans, myself included, really would like to see an upgrade in our own linebacking unit, but I doubt it will be through free agency.

pretty sure tulloch got it already. He signed a 5 year deal, details just aren't disclosed

Kruunch
03-22-2012, 10:12 AM

Thoughts?

i heard somewhere last week that the cap is going up significantly in the next 2 years... or its at least expected to..

B

Next year the cap is almost identical to this year. In 2014 it goes up by almost $20 million (est. $139 million).

You'll probably see a bunch mid-loaded contracts this year and next year and a flurry of front loaded contracts in 2014 (is my guess).

Kruunch
03-22-2012, 10:14 AM

Nope ... they couldn't come to terms (at least not yet).

Supposedly he was signing with the Bucs and then the Eagles, but both of those broke down.

My thinking is that he wants D'Qwell Jackson money and nobody is paying that for an ILB (except for the Browns apparently).

Chances are that Lofton will just be too expensive for the Giants.

But what a fit.

MattMeyerBud
03-22-2012, 10:16 AM

Thoughts?

B

Next year the cap is almost identical to this year. In 2014 it goes up by almost $20 million (est. $139 million).

You'll probably see a bunch mid-loaded contracts this year and next year and a flurry of front loaded contracts in 2014 (is my guess).

well that just makes me happy because it means we should be able to resign cruz and nicks

MattMeyerBud
03-22-2012, 10:17 AM

Supposedly he was signing with the Bucs and then the Eagles, but both of those broke down.

My thinking is that he wants D'Qwell Jackson money and nobody is paying that for an ILB (except for the Browns apparently).

But what a fit.

Saints were sneaking in on it too....

then the bomb dropped

swimeasy
03-22-2012, 10:17 AM

Thoughts?

B

^And that's due to a new TV contract Kruunch? I thought I read that somewhere but when I went back to confirm it, couldn't find it.

So, I see you now have an OT as our first draft pick?[B]

Kruunch
03-22-2012, 10:29 AM

Thoughts?

B

^And that's due to a new TV contract Kruunch? I thought I read that somewhere but when I went back to confirm it, couldn't find it.

So, I see you now have an OT as our first draft pick?*[B]

Yeah I believe the new network contracts kick in in 2014 and that revenue is definitely what drives the cap.

I don't think we're going OT in the first ... Mike Adams is dropping like a stone right out of a first round grade and there isn't really another first round talent at OT in the first where we pick (and there are some nice choices at the end of the 2nd and 3rd rounds).

Our first pick in the draft is really a mystery to me at this point ... I'm leaning towards Mark Barron (SS) though. He'll be both BPA and fill a need at depth for us (and possibly as a replacement for eithe Rolle as a cap casualty next year, or Phillips if we can't re-sign him).

Kruunch
03-22-2012, 10:30 AM

But what a fit.

then the bomb dropped

I think Brees is gonna soak up that money hehe.

Kruunch
03-22-2012, 10:33 AM

Thoughts?

B

well that just makes me happy because it means we should be able to resign cruz and nicks

Yes and no ... contracts will get bigger too (especially if both of those guys do the same thing next year as they did this year).

My thinking is that you won't see both Nicks AND Cruz with the Giants on a second contract if both keep up their production (its just too hard to hold on to two bona fide #1 receivers).

Now I'm depressed.

swimeasy
03-22-2012, 10:53 AM

Thoughts?

B

Yes and no ... contracts will get bigger too (especially if both of those guys do the same thing next year as they did this year).

My thinking is that you won't see both Nicks AND Cruz with the Giants on a second contract if both keep up their production (its just too hard to hold on to two bona fide #1 receivers).<font color="#000080">

Now I'm depressed</font>.

haha, focus on this: if they have that type of production, we will be repeating. [;)]

MattMeyerBud
03-22-2012, 10:55 AM

But what a fit.

then the bomb dropped

haha saints are at Brees's mercy now

Kruunch
03-22-2012, 11:29 AM

But what a fit.

then the bomb dropped

haha saints are at Brees's mercy now

If I was Brees I'd ask for $20mil a year and F the Saints.

Because the Titans, Cards and Fins will give him that in a heartbeat.

MattMeyerBud
03-22-2012, 04:31 PM

Thoughts?

B

Yeah I believe the new network contracts kick in in 2014 and that revenue is definitely what drives the cap.

I don't think we're going OT in the first ... Mike Adams is dropping like a stone right out of a first round grade and there isn't really another first round talent at OT in the first where we pick (and there are some nice choices at the end of the 2nd and 3rd rounds).

Our first pick in the draft is really a mystery to me at this point ... I'm leaning towards Mark Barron (SS) though. He'll be both BPA and fill a need at depth for us (and possibly as a replacement for eithe Rolle as a cap casualty next year, or Phillips if we can't re-sign him).

with all this lack of movement on Lofton maybe theres a chance we can get him on a year deal like the Lions got Tulloch last year

MattMeyerBud
03-22-2012, 04:42 PM
and Kruunch, I agree with you on saftey. It could absoultely be a route we go.

Not discounting receiver either as crazy as that sounds

Kruunch
03-22-2012, 04:46 PM

Thoughts?

B

So, I see you now have an OT as our first draft pick?*[B]

with all this lack of movement on Lofton maybe theres a chance we can get him on a year deal like the Lions got Tulloch last year

I dunno ... I get the distinct feeling that Lofton is asking more then teams are willing to spend on a MLB. Considering our ghetto band-aid approach to that position since Pierce left and our cap situation I think Lofton is a pipe dream.

But wow ... what a snag for us if we did.

(of course having said that, he didn't do a thing for Atlanta when we whooped up on them in the playoffs)

Kruunch
03-22-2012, 04:51 PM
and Kruunch, I agree with you on saftey. It could absoultely be a route we go.

Not discounting receiver either as crazy as that sounds

If you go by BPA + need + position desirability, both Mark Barron and Stephen Hill (if either are on the board when we pick) will both be high grade players.

Stephen Hill is more of a Combine product (he was a borderline 4th round pick before the Combine) but we have recent history with taking Combine products. If JPP doesn't do 14 back flips in a row, he probably isn't a Giant today.

Mark Barron is the best rated Safety in a draft that's really poor on Safeties. His injury history doesn't include any leg issues and he would pave the way for either cutting Rolle's cap hit in 2013 or replacing Phillips if he hits free agency after another solid year (no reason to think he wouldn't).

Mark Barron makes more sense to me but I could see Stephen Hill being more alluring in light of thinking ahead to trying to sign both Nicks and Cruz.

Having said all that, someone could drop to us that we snag much like last year. Kuechly's name comes up a lot which would definitely be a nice pick for us and solve the MLB problem.

MattMeyerBud
03-22-2012, 05:01 PM

Thoughts?

B

I dunno ... I get the distinct feeling that Lofton is asking more then teams are willing to spend on a MLB. Considering our ghetto band-aid approach to that position since Pierce left and our cap situation I think Lofton is a pipe dream.

But wow ... what a snag for us if we did.

(of course having said that, he didn't do a thing for Atlanta when we whooped up on them in the playoffs)

very true, but Atlanta has a pretty average defensive line