PDA

View Full Version : Ballard TE of the future or one year wonder??

BBlueSince82
12-08-2011, 01:38 AM
Who thinks Ballard can be our TE of the future, or is he benefitting from no one really paying attention to him and having a good year because of that. I personally love the guy, but I think after this season if he continues to play well, and teams start game planning to include him, he is NOT our answer long term. Just my opinion. Just dont think he has the athletic ability needed...

NYGFaninILL
12-08-2011, 01:46 AM
Who thinks Ballard can be our TE of the future, or is he benefitting from no one really paying attention to him and having a good year because of that. I personally love the guy, but I think after this season if he continues to play well, and teams start game planning to include him, he is NOT our answer long term. Just my opinion. Just dont think he has the athletic ability needed...

I do, he is a 2nd year player. He is showing great promise for a young player. He'll come into his own

Itlan
12-08-2011, 01:48 AM
Big target, soft hands, tough, runs good routes.

Could careless about "athleticism." He catches almost everything thrown at him and always picks up extra yardage in open space.

I like him.

BBlueSince82
12-08-2011, 02:07 AM

Could careless about "athleticism." He catches almost everything thrown at him and always picks up extra yardage in open space.

I like him.

Oh I LOVE the guy, but I think his slow, slow speed is going to catch up with him. I know in one of the Giants games this year they said he runs like slowest 40 for any TE in the league!!

And he certainly doesn't catch almost EVERYTHING throw at him, he actually tends to make a lot of difficult cayches but drop a lot of easy ones.

I certainly think he will be in the running for our future TE, but whether he will continue to play this way next year, and solidify that spot, we will see. Also need to work on his blocking and his route-running.

BParcells777
12-08-2011, 03:59 AM
hes a keeper</P>

You guys are forgetting his biggest asset.........his size</P>

The guy is long and huge</P>

Mercury
12-08-2011, 08:28 AM
No, he's not a household name, but everyone who is playing the Giants knows about him. He's not being ignored. He hasn't played quite as well as he did at the beginning of the year, but he's still pretty good. I'd say he is better than Boss. Plus, he can improve with more experience, especially blocking.

GameTime
12-08-2011, 08:30 AM
He will be a Giant for at least a couple of more years. Eli has so many targets ans that will be to all the receivers advantage. Also in the hopes the Giants get their running game back that will only help the TE position as well. </P>

He is a good solid receiver</P>

BlueBlitzer
12-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Definitely on board with our TE. Jake is the real deal, He can catch and block.

Redeyejedi
12-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Depends on who the coach and OC is next year. If they want a seam strecthing TE then he probably wont be the starter

Kruunch
12-08-2011, 08:48 AM

He's a servicable Tight End ... no more and no less.

BlueBlitzer
12-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Depends on who the coach and OC is next year. If they want a seam strecthing TE then he probably wont be the starter</P>

I thought our " One Play Wonder " was our stretch the seam TE ?</P>

Raptor22
12-08-2011, 09:05 AM
hes a keeper</p>

You guys are forgetting his biggest asset.........his size</p>

The guy is long and huge</p>

...That's what she said.

Seriously, I think Ballard can be a keeper going forward. He runs great routs and (usually) has great hands. He's also "sneaky athletic"; IMO he lulls DB's to sleep and defenses just forget about him, but he's got the short area quickness to make a move and just incredible leaping ability.

Also: its nice having a TE that can get an extra 5 yards with 2 DB's and a linebacker hanging off of him, while running over another.

I would certainly like another TE, such as Dwayne Allen, who is more of a 'modern' TE. The two would complement each other well.

BlueJayC
12-08-2011, 09:05 AM
He'll be the TE on this team for years to come barring any major injuries.......he's versatile.....whereas in the past if that #47 guy came in it was most likely a pass play and if Pascoe came in it was most likely a run........with Ballard at TE it could be either.......once he cleans up his blocking technique and the O-line is finally set would love to see him and Pascoe in 2 TE sets.....</P>

I'm all for D'strying to key in on him leaves less guys in coverage for Nicks, Cruz and company......</P>

This offense has the "potential" to be one of the most dangerous in the league for years to come.......especially if Bradshaw can get healthy and Scott comes into his own and is utilized properly.</P>

Redeyejedi
12-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Depends on who the coach and OC is next year. If they want a seam strecthing TE then he probably wont be the starter</P>

In a different offense who knows he might be better. The one thing about Ballard is his catch rate has dropped significantly since the bye. He was the efficent receiver in the NFL when the Giants went into the bye.Since his catch rate has dropped 26% from 88.2% to 62%</P>

http://draftbreakdown.com/udfa-jake-ballard-exceeding-expectations-in-nyI wrote this at the bye</P>

Ballard had 15 catches in 17 targets for 273 yards 16.05</P>

Since Ballard 18 catches 36 Targets 264 yards yards per target 7.3</P>

Since the NE game defenses have started to pay more attention the numbers have gotten much worse</P>

</P>

Coach Carter
12-08-2011, 09:11 AM

I like him.

Oh I LOVE the guy, but I think his slow, slow speed is going to catch up with him. I know in one of the Giants games this year they said he runs like slowest 40 for any TE in the league!!

And he certainly doesn't catch almost EVERYTHING throw at him, he actually tends to make a lot of difficult cayches but drop a lot of easy ones.

I certainly think he will be in the running for our future TE, but whether he will continue to play this way next year, and solidify that spot, we will see. Also need to work on his blocking and his route-running.

This isn't Madden, speed does not matter that much, you think Jason Witten is a blazer? Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 coming out of college, but would you want him or Ted Ginn Jr.?

Kingb50
12-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Ballard has been a pleasant suprise for us, but I would still like to bring in another TE to challenge him.

buddy33
12-08-2011, 09:14 AM

In a different offense who knows he might be better. The one thing about Ballard is his catch rate has dropped significantly since the bye. He was the efficent receiver in the NFL when the Giants went into the bye.Since his catch rate has dropped 26% from 88.2% to 62%</P>

http://draftbreakdown.com/udfa-jake-ballard-exceeding-expectations-in-ny*I wrote this at the bye</P>

Ballard had 15 catches in 17 targets for 273 yards* 16.05</P>

Since Ballard 18 catches 36 Targets 264 yards yards per target 7.3</P>

Since the NE game defenses have started to pay more attention the numbers have gotten much worse</P>

*</P>

Maybe, but he was getting open against the Eagles but had his worst game of the year where he dropped 2-3 passes, one thag would have been a huge gain.

BlueBlitzer
12-08-2011, 09:19 AM
If Beckham all of a sudden plays the way he did last week, we may be set .

GameTime
12-08-2011, 09:23 AM
If Beckham all of a sudden plays the way he did last week, we may be set .</P>

that aint happening. That was one of handful of good plays he has had as a Giant. Why would a player who has been invisible since he has been here "all of a sudden" be good????</P>

Beckum should have been gone this season.....he will be gone next season. </P>

rebelfan1966
12-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Who thinks Ballard can be our TE of the future, or is he benefitting from no one really paying attention to him and having a good year because of that. I personally love the guy, but I think after this season if he continues to play well, and teams start game planning to include him, he is NOT our answer long term. Just my opinion. Just dont think he has the athletic ability needed...</P>

I think we have found a quality TE with Ballard... I look fwd to watching him get even better next season.</P>

EJ Blue
12-08-2011, 10:40 AM
I think he's a one year wonder like Danny Woodhead. Many of you may not like me saying that. We should draft a complete TE next year, for depth and competition for that job, if Ballard is legit, he'll end up being the proven starter.

MikeIsaGiant
12-08-2011, 10:41 AM
I like him for the future, he's huge and love the extra yards he gets because he's so big

TrueBlue@NYC
12-08-2011, 11:40 AM
He's a good player and has the potential to be the long term answer should he continue to improve.

However, with Beckham likely gone at the end of the year, and Pascoe having regressed so much, it would be wise for the team to bring in another TE to compete.

Nothing wrong with having competition at a position.

BigBlue1971
12-08-2011, 11:48 AM
i think Ballard is here for a while. he appears to catch most balls thrown his way and hes a big target.</P>

hes just gonna get better being another target for Eli. </P>

just my http://e.deviantart.net/emoticons/t/twocents.gif</P>

</P>

stumms
12-08-2011, 12:56 PM
I like him but would love to see Giants draft another TE Eifert of ND is a beast.

jomo
12-08-2011, 01:21 PM
I like him, he is good and should continue to improve. We certainly could do better but we have so many other higher priorities for our draft picks and salary cap dollars.

nygfan0816
12-08-2011, 01:57 PM
ballard is definitely the TE of the future for big blue. he has soft hands, runs routes very good for a guy who isnt very fast, has done decent run blockin, and one he has the ball in his hands he is tough to bring down, what more do u want from a TE? and lets not forget, this is basically his rookie year. he was a practice squad guy last year.

believe me, he will only get better.