PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans should be stripped of their Lombardi Trophy

miken609
03-21-2012, 06:23 PM
People are saying suspending Sean Payton for one season was too much punishment. I say it isn't enough. Who says the Saints would have won that Super Bowl if they weren't going after Brett Favre's legs in that NFC Championship game (and all the other player they faced in that season).

In a league where player safety is paramount, the Saints attempted to injure players in order to give themselves an unfair and illegal advantage. It is completely and utterly despicable in my eyes.

Just as Barry Bonds and the rest of the steroid users should be stripped of their records and awards for cheating, New Orleans should be stripped of their Lombardi Trophy.

greenca190
03-21-2012, 06:28 PM
disagree

GiantSteps13
03-21-2012, 06:29 PM
+1
on the disagree

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 06:29 PM
People are saying suspending Sean Payton for one season was too much punishment. I say it isn't enough. Who says the Saints would have won that Super Bowl if they weren't going after Brett Favre's legs in that NFC Championship game (and all the other player they faced in that season).

In a league where player safety is paramount, the Saints attempted to injure players in order to give themselves an unfair and illegal advantage. It is completely and utterly despicable in my eyes.

Just as Barry Bonds and the rest of the steroid users should be stripped of their records and awards for cheating, New Orleans should be stripped of their Lombardi Trophy.

By doing that you're also punishing the fans. The League is focusing on those responsible starting at the top. I think that's the right approach. I also think the punishments so far have fit the "crime."

miken609
03-21-2012, 06:32 PM

By doing that you're also punishing the fans.* The League is focusing on those responsible starting at the top.* I think that's the right approach.* I also think the punishments so far have fit the "crime."

The fans have no connection to the team and should not play a part in this. The Saints already let their fans down.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 06:36 PM

By doing that you're also punishing the fans. The League is focusing on those responsible starting at the top. I think that's the right approach. I also think the punishments so far have fit the "crime."

The fans have no connection to the team and should not play a part in this. The Saints already let their fans down.

So you'd be OK if this was the GIANTS and we suddenly had lost one or more SB trophies?

OX1
03-21-2012, 06:37 PM

No point in that unless there was bunch of illegal hits, and those should have been called in the game. I do think after them being told to stop, then the denial/stonewalling, and finally getting busted, someone should be ousted for life.

cornerback30
03-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Dude I just made a comment about this very thing and I agree with it.

Harooni
03-21-2012, 06:42 PM
and what about us faking injuries? ,where would you draw the line at stripping titles?

miken609
03-21-2012, 06:46 PM

By doing that you're also punishing the fans.* The League is focusing on those responsible starting at the top.* I think that's the right approach.* I also think the punishments so far have fit the "crime."

So you'd be OK if this was the GIANTS and we suddenly had lost one or more SB trophies?
Of course I wouldn't be "ok." I would be angry. However, my anger would be channeled at my beloved Giants, not the NFL, who played no part in the wrongdoing of the team who committed the crime.

Bottomline: Saints cheated. Won a Lombardi Trophy while cheating. (It doesn't matter whether or not the fact that they cheated actually helped them win a Super Bowl). Therefore, because they were cheating while they won a Lombardi Trophy, they should be stripped of said Lombardi Trophy.

Keep in mind the severity of their wrongdoing when they broke the rule. This was not some little rule where you can just say "Aww shucks, the past is the past is the past."

TheEnigma
03-21-2012, 06:46 PM
and what about us faking injuries? ,where would you draw the line at stripping titles?
It was a definite case of us faking injuries in the Rams game. Guess we forfeit that win. Oh crap, we would of lost on tiebreakers then. Patriots win the 2012 Superbowl!

miken609
03-21-2012, 06:50 PM

This was an in-game penalty that was missed by the official. There's a huge difference. I don't know where exactly to draw the line, but any form of a large scale scandal with money involved should warrant the stripping of a title. Especially a bounty scandal where people are intentionally injured.

miken609
03-21-2012, 06:51 PM
It was a definite case of us faking injuries in the Rams game. Guess we forfeit that win. Oh crap, we would of lost on tiebreakers then. Patriots win the 2012 Superbowl!
False. This was simply an in-game penalty that was missed by the official.

TheEnigma
03-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Incentives to hurt people isn't really cheating. It's just slimy and uncalled for. Not like they broke an in-game rule.

That 09 Saints team was dominant even without the incentives so I'd wager they still would of won the Superbowl without them.

Now if they had someone on the Colts side that leaked plays to the Saints, we might have a discussion.

GIANTfaninFL
03-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Really..........?

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 06:59 PM

Of course I wouldn't be "ok." I would be angry. However, my anger would be channeled at my beloved Giants, not the NFL, who played no part in the wrongdoing of the team who committed the crime.

Bottomline: Saints cheated. Won a Lombardi Trophy while cheating. (It doesn't matter whether or not the fact that they cheated actually helped them win a Super Bowl). Therefore, because they were cheating while they won a Lombardi Trophy, they should be stripped of said Lombardi Trophy.

Keep in mind the severity of their wrongdoing when they broke the rule. This was not some little rule where you can just say "Aww shucks, the past is the past is the past."

The fact is all of "the Saints" didn't "cheat." Some of them participated in a bounty to purposely injure opposing players. The NFL is handling this as fairly as they can. They have identified those responsible for allowing it to go on and, as we are seeing, are leveling stiff consequences for their parts in the scandal. Now, phase two, is player punishments.

I wonder how much the NFL really knows about the "who" did what. I suspect they probably have Williams testicles in a vice on that one; tell us who got paid for what and we MAY let you back after your year off.

Diamondring
03-21-2012, 07:02 PM

Just as Barry Bonds and the rest of the steroid users should be stripped of their records and awards for cheating, New Orleans should be stripped of their Lombardi Trophy.W

Diamondring
03-21-2012, 07:02 PM

Just as Barry Bonds and the rest of the steroid users should be stripped of their records and awards for cheating, New Orleans should be stripped of their Lombardi Trophy.W

miken609
03-21-2012, 07:05 PM
Incentives to hurt people isn't really cheating. It's just slimy and uncalled for. Not like they broke an in-game rule.

That 09 Saints team was dominant even without the incentives so I'd wager they still would of won the Superbowl without them.

Now if they had someone on the Colts side that leaked plays to the Saints, we might have a discussion.

Incentives to hurt people is most definitely cheating in every sense of what cheating is. Why were the Saints trying to knock Favre out of the game in the first place? It wasn't because Gregg Williams likes to see him squirm on a sideline stretcher. Its because he wanted to give his team the best chance to win.

Your point about the Saints probably winning anyhow is completely irrelevant. You can argue that Barry Bonds would have broken Hank Aaron's home run record if he didn't use steroids. This point is irrelevant because he did use steroids.

Diamondring
03-21-2012, 07:07 PM

Just as Barry Bonds and the rest of the steroid users should be stripped of their records and awards for cheating, New Orleans should be stripped of their Lombardi Trophy.Why? That makes no sense. If they stripped them of their title, then they also should have their wins taken away. Nope but I think that the best solution is to suspend Peyton on how long they did those injuriy bets or bonuses and if they injured a player of value, then the Saints should lose some draft picks but strong evidence needs to be held against them.

titwio
03-21-2012, 07:13 PM
How messed up would that be for Reggie Bush. First they strip him of his Heisman Award and then his SB ring.

Not that I think it'll happen but just saying...that would be pretty messed up.

miken609
03-21-2012, 07:13 PM

The fact is all of "the Saints" didn't "cheat."* Some of them participated in a bounty to purposely injure opposing players.* The NFL is handling this as fairly as they can.* They have identified those responsible for allowing it to go on and, as we are seeing, are leveling stiff consequences for their parts in the scandal.* Now, phase two, is player punishments.

I wonder how much the NFL really knows about the "who" did what.* I suspect they probably have Williams testicles in a vice on that one;* tell us who got paid for what and we MAY let you back after your year off.*

I guarantee you that every player in that locker room knew what was going on.

TheEnigma
03-21-2012, 07:14 PM

Incentives to hurt people is most definitely cheating in every sense of what cheating is. Why were the Saints trying to knock Favre out of the game in the first place? It wasn't because Gregg Williams likes to see him squirm on a sideline stretcher. Its because he wanted to give his team the best chance to win.

Your point about the Saints probably winning anyhow is completely irrelevant. You can argue that Barry Bonds would have broken Hank Aaron's home run record if he didn't use steroids. This point is irrelevant because he did use steroids.Let me ask you this. Is trying to rattle the other QB and take him out of the game cheating? Not at all. We did this plenty of times in the 2010 season. Now what happens when you add any amount of currency as a coach or front office guy to motivate your players to do it? The action that the players perform doesn't change but it becomes unethical in today's league of safety.

You can't compare steroids and cash incentive bonuses for hitting players. The cash doesn't make a player stronger or more aggressive.

Unless you can find us a time machine and we can go back and stop the Saints from using incentives, we'll never know if that really got them over the edge or not.

MikeIsaGiant
03-21-2012, 07:28 PM
That's too much. If you strip the lombardi trophy, who will you give it to? It'd be dumb to do that.

myles2424
03-21-2012, 07:32 PM
A little overboard

miken609
03-21-2012, 07:33 PM

Your point about the Saints probably winning anyhow is completely irrelevant. You can argue that Barry Bonds would have broken Hank Aaron's home run record if he didn't use steroids. This point is irrelevant because he did use steroids.Let me ask you this. Is trying to rattle the other QB and take him out of the game cheating? Not at all. We did this plenty of times in the 2010 season. Now what happens when you add any amount of currency as a coach or front office guy to motivate your players to do it? The action that the players perform doesn't change but it becomes unethical in today's league of safety.

You can't compare steroids and cash incentive bonuses for hitting players. The cash doesn't make a player stronger or more aggressive.

Unless you can find us a time machine and we can go back and stop the Saints from using incentives, we'll never know if that really got them over the edge or not.
The fact that money was paid off the books is the very reason that the trophy should be stripped.

And the analogy of steroids holds true because its not the nature of the cheating that matters but the very fact that the players cheated. Both the Saints and Bonds cheated so they should both be stripped of their awards while cheating. Whether or not someone wants to judge if they would have won or not had they played fairly is completely irrelevant.

miken609
03-21-2012, 07:34 PM
That's too much. If you strip the lombardi trophy, who will you give it to? It'd be dumb to do that.

No one gets it that year. It's unfortunate that the actions of one team ruin the season's hard work of an entire league.

miken609
03-21-2012, 07:34 PM
A little overboard

As was paying someone to injure someone else.

miken609
03-21-2012, 07:37 PM

Just as Barry Bonds and the rest of the steroid users should be stripped of their records and awards for cheating, New Orleans should be stripped of their Lombardi Trophy.Wagree

C1010
03-21-2012, 07:39 PM

x2

I disagree with stripping them of the Lombardi.

Garbloz
03-21-2012, 07:50 PM
even if that was the right thing to do it wouldn't matter they won the sb and no one would forget. i really don't know how to explain what im thinking but i hope you get it.

and regardless of the bounties it was the refs that didn't call the obvious late hits on farve. even by older nfl standards alot of those were late hits

MikeIsaGiant
03-21-2012, 07:50 PM

No one gets it that year. It's unfortunate that the actions of one team ruin the season's hard work of an entire league.

Okay, so really if we won the 46th SB, 46th lombardi, we really won the 45th lombardi because one of them doesn't count? Please....

miken609
03-21-2012, 07:56 PM

Okay, so really if we won the 46th SB, 46th lombardi, we really won the 45th lombardi because one of them doesn't count? Please....of course not silly, the 44th would be simply skipped

miken609
03-21-2012, 08:42 PM
http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2012/03/21/nfl-should-vacate-saints-super-bowl-title/u6YSTirQDthBuq8sx0KRkL/story.html

Giants10Joe
03-21-2012, 11:02 PM
I can't prove it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants used to have bounties back in the 1980s. Lots of teams had them. The Giants knocked Montana out a few times (see your avatar picture) and everyone remembers LT ending Theismann's career. He motioned for help afterwards, but is that because he didn't mean to hurt Theismann or because he didn't mean to hurt him as bad as he did? Should all the teams in the 70s, 80s, and earlier lose their trophies, including the Giants?

tonyt830
03-21-2012, 11:03 PM
miken, it sounds like not many posters will agree with you on your topic. But I have heard the same chatter regarding the Lombardi getting stripped from the Saints. </P>

</P>

I don't know, this whole bounty thing was going on for 3 or 4 seasons in New Orleans? That is a big deal. It wasn't like it was a few games or just 1 season. I bet that it was going on wherever Williams was employed. The commish and his team just didnt have enough evidence to levy fines or suspensions to the Bills, Titans, Jags or Skins.</P>

</P>

I say just put an asterick in thebooksnext to the Saints Superbowl season. It will be fun to watch the Saints struggle and squirm without Payton this coming season and 2 higher draft picks the next 2 seasons. And of course, back to the drawing board for Fisher and the Rams when it comes to D Coordinator. I hope Williams does not come back to the NFL and resorts to having to coach high school football for peanuts!</P>

</P>

Karma is a *****! </P>

</P>

I always heard that New Orleans was a corrupt city--a dirty nasty city. Now we can add their football team to the negative list of things about New Orleans, LA.</P>

Pksoze
03-21-2012, 11:11 PM
If Goodell stripped them of their title he might have had to wear a bullet proof vest in New Orleans.

tonyt830
03-21-2012, 11:13 PM
I can't prove it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants used to have bounties back in the 1980s. Lots of teams had them. The Giants knocked Montana out a few times (see your avatar picture) and everyone remembers LT ending Theismann's career. He motioned for help afterwards, but is that because he didn't mean to hurt Theismann or because he didn't mean to hurt him as bad as he did? Should all the teams in the 70s, 80s, and earlier lose their trophies, including the Giants?
Not trying to sound like a homer, but if you watch the video of LTs hit on Theismann, I wouldn't say that was a dirty or bounty type hit. That was a pure accident how his leg bent the wrong way. And if there were bounties in years past, except for Buddy Ryan, I don't ever remember hearing of coaches or assistants promoting a bounty system. I believe that players amongst themselves have had a reward/bounty type system that coaches were unaware of. </P>

</P>

What about the 50's through 70's?Ray Nitschke, Butkus, Conrad Dobler, Jack Tatum and other players from that era. Those players would not survive in todays NFL. Todays NFL is about players safety. Concussions are a huge issue right now. Look at some of these former players that are suffering now or some that have suffered depression or committed suicide. Goddell does not take players safety lightly. </P>

greenca190
03-21-2012, 11:19 PM
Jesus Christ, was this thread started by an angry liberal mother?

Giants10Joe
03-21-2012, 11:45 PM
Not trying to sound like a homer, but if you watch the video of LTs hit on Theismann, I wouldn't say that was a dirty or bounty type hit. That was a pure accident how his leg bent the wrong way. And if there were bounties in years past, except for Buddy Ryan, I don't ever remember hearing of coaches or assistants promoting a bounty system. I believe that players amongst themselves have had a reward/bounty type system that coaches were unaware of. </p>

</p>

What about the 50's through 70's?Ray Nitschke, Butkus, Conrad Dobler, Jack Tatum and other players from that era. Those players would not survive in todays NFL. Todays NFL is about players safety. Concussions are a huge issue right now. Look at some of these former players that are suffering now or some that have suffered depression or committed suicide. Goddell does not take players safety lightly. </p>

I'm not saying that the Giants did have a bounty system. I'm just pointing out that MikeN is being somewhat hypocritical by saying the Saints should lose their trophy for trying to injure players but is glorifying via his picture Burt injuring Montana. Also, I forget where, but I vaguely remember hearing that the Steel Curtain Steelers had bounties (or maybe it was just that they, especially Mean Joe Greene, were dirty by today's standards).

MikeIsaGiant
03-21-2012, 11:49 PM

Okay, so really if we won the 46th SB, 46th lombardi, we really won the 45th lombardi because one of them doesn't count? Please....of course not silly, the 44th would be simply skipped

I don't like the whole idea of seeing

44th lombardi - BLANK N/A

RoanokeFan
03-21-2012, 11:50 PM

LT didn't hit Theisman alone. He and Harry Carson hit him high and low. No one has ever suggested either LT or Harry Carson wanted to end Theisman's career, let alone got paid to do it. What the Saints did, AS AN ORGANIZATION, was place a monetary value on injuring an opposing player.

It's a violent enough game as designed. The added "bonus" for intentionally injuring a player is, on its face, wrong.

miken609
03-22-2012, 12:33 AM

I don't like the whole idea of seeing

44th lombardi - BLANK N/Aneither do I

miken609
03-22-2012, 12:35 AM
Not trying to sound like a homer, but if you watch the video of LTs hit on Theismann, I wouldn't say that was a dirty or bounty type hit.* That was a pure accident how his leg bent the wrong way.* And if there were bounties in years past, except for Buddy Ryan, I don't ever remember hearing of coaches or assistants promoting a bounty system.* I believe that players amongst themselves have had a reward/bounty type system that coaches were unaware of.* </p>

*</p>

What about the 50's through 70's?**Ray Nitschke, Butkus, Conrad Dobler, Jack Tatum and other players from that era.* Those players would not survive in todays NFL.* Todays NFL is about players safety.* Concussions are a huge issue right now.* Look at some of these former players that are suffering now or some that have suffered depression or committed suicide.* Goddell does not take players safety lightly.* </p>

I'm not saying that the Giants did have a bounty system. I'm just pointing out that MikeN is being somewhat hypocritical by saying the Saints should lose their trophy for trying to injure players but is glorifying via his picture Burt injuring Montana. Also, I forget where, but I vaguely remember hearing that the Steel Curtain Steelers had bounties (or maybe it was just that they, especially Mean Joe Greene, were dirty by today's standards).
Its simply a goof avatar. You are looking to much into it. For the record, I do not endorse illegal scandals or purposely injuring other people in any way. I am not a sinister human being.

miken609
03-22-2012, 12:40 AM
How do you know that lots of teams from the '70s and '80s had illegal bounties? There is absolutely no proof of a bounty scandal for any of these teams. They simply were hitting the other teams players in ways that were legal by the rules of the game as defined in that era.

miken609
03-22-2012, 12:41 AM
Jesus Christ, was this thread started by an angry liberal mother? what?

miken609
03-22-2012, 12:46 AM
even if that was the right thing to do it wouldn't matter they won the sb and no one would forget. i really don't know how to explain what im thinking but i hope you get it.

and regardless of the bounties it was the refs that didn't call the obvious late hits on farve. even by older nfl standards alot of those were late hits
I understand what your saying and its wrong. In my eyes the Saints did not earn that Super Bowl Trophy because they cheated to get it. If they stripped them of that trophy it would have tremendous significance in the eyes of true intelligent football fans.

What does it matter if the refs missed a call?

miken609
03-22-2012, 12:48 AM
miken, it sounds like not many posters will agree with you on your topic.* But I have heard the same chatter regarding the Lombardi getting stripped from the Saints.* </P>

*</P>

I don't know, this whole bounty thing was going on for 3 or 4 seasons in New Orleans?* That is a big deal.* It wasn't like it was a few games or just 1 season.* I bet that it was going on wherever Williams was employed.* The commish and his team just didnt have enough evidence to levy fines or suspensions to the Bills, Titans, Jags or Skins.</P>

*</P>

I say just put an asterick in the*books*next to the Saints Superbowl season.* It will be fun to watch the Saints struggle and squirm without Payton this coming season and 2 higher draft picks the next 2 seasons.* And of course, back to the drawing board for Fisher and the Rams when it comes to D Coordinator.* I hope Williams does not come back to the NFL and resorts to having to coach high school football for peanuts!</P>

*</P>

Karma is a *****!* </P>

*</P>

I always heard that New Orleans was a corrupt city--a dirty nasty city.* Now we can add their football team to the negative list of things about New Orleans, LA.</P>I agree. If anything, they should brand an asterisks into the side of the Lombardi Trophy