PDA

View Full Version : We should trade up and get TE Coby Fleener

AllTuckedUp
03-22-2012, 02:51 PM
"TE coby Fleener just ran 4.45 40"

Todd McShay

This guy is big. This guy is fast. This guy can catch. This guy can run good routes. This guy is the real deal.

luvbigblue28
03-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Did I read correctly that Mario Manningham
will not be playing with the Giants this season?
Who will replace him at WR if this is true?

AllTuckedUp
03-22-2012, 02:57 PM

Are you serious?

MikeIsaGiant
03-22-2012, 03:33 PM
I'd like to believe that post was a joke (not the Fleener post)

G-Man67
03-22-2012, 03:34 PM
MM is a niner ... was a FA, so u know the highest bidder</P>

i don't like trading up (ha, except for Eli of course), u seem to always have to pay a lot to move 4 or 5 places ... if he falls to us, then fine</P>

tonyt830
03-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Unless Reese is so in love with Fleener, and feel he will be gone at 32, I don't see him trading up. He values his draft picks. </P>

</P>

Now maybe I can see him taking him at 32, if he has Fleener as the BPA at that spot.</P>

</P>

Harbaugh may want to see him in a 49er jersey as well.</P>

domfin
03-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Mike Mayock said that he was not a 1st round pick. He went on to say that there are no TE in the draft that are 1st rounders. Kiper says that we will pick him so that means it will never happen.

gmen0820
03-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Harbaugh may want to see him in a 49er jersey as well.</P>That becomes a scary offense. Great OL, one elite TE, and another TE with an elite skill set, two vertical threat receivers, one possession guy, a solid (aging) RB core, and an efficient QB in his 2nd year with a QB guru coach.

TheEnigma
03-22-2012, 03:49 PM
I honestly don't see Reese as the kind of guy who would trade up in the 1st round for most positions. Probably only QB and MAYBE a DE. He would rather sit than make an aggressive move like that.

Diamondring
03-22-2012, 03:53 PM
No trade up because we don;t know if te will fall to Giants and Giants may have to give up too much.

giantsforce
03-22-2012, 03:59 PM

Todd McShay

This guy is big. This guy is fast. This guy can catch. This guy can run good routes. This guy is the real deal.I am not sure that Fleener has the blocking skills that the Giants require for that position. Fleener was used more as a slot TE rather than a blocking TE in college so I am not sure he will fit the Giants needs. Now with Jacobs gone, the Giants will need a lot of help in their blocking schemes and I do not think they can afford a non-blocking TE.

CGYgiant
03-22-2012, 04:10 PM

Todd McShay

This guy is big. This guy is fast. This guy can catch. This guy can run good routes. This guy is the real deal.I am not sure that Fleener has the blocking skills that the Giants require for that position. Fleener was used more as a slot TE rather than a blocking TE in college so I am not sure he will fit the Giants needs. Now with Jacobs gone, the Giants will need a lot of help in their blocking schemes and I do not think they can afford a non-blocking TE.

They have a top 5 blocking TE with Bennett now, not to mention, Boss didn't know how to block at all coming out of college and he turned OK, no?

Pope is an awesome coach and whenever you see a guy that's 6'6 that runs 4.55 yards AGAINST the wind you know his a unique athlete and well worth a first rounder.

myles2424
03-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Who will replace him at WR if this is true? did you hear about peyton manning being released by the colts?

GfieldGmen
03-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Still wouldn't draft him. The Giants don't utilize TEs in the passing game enough to warrant trading up for him or drafting him in the first rd. We like our TEs block first and pass catch later. Fleener is the type of guy you put in the slot. Gronkowski and Hernandez work because Hernandez is more of a H-back.

Giants will be happy with Bennett and wait for Ballard. Plus they have that guy Hopkins that they like.

Go for O-line first unless a stud like Keuchly, Hightower, Barron, Mercilus fall to us.

RoanokeFan
03-22-2012, 04:44 PM

You read correctly and, as of right now, Hixon, Jernigan, and Barden are going to compete for# 3.

DownWitJPP
03-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Giants TE coach Mike Pope is at Standford Pro Day today to check out TE Coby Fleener.

I still don't think we draft a TE in the first but who knows. If Pope really likes him then maybe they draft him and let go of Beckum or Pascoe

mikeq672
03-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Dwayne Allen is the only tight end that MIGHT be drafted in the first round, no need to trade up.

slipknottin
03-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Still wouldn't draft him. The Giants don't utilize TEs in the passing game enough to warrant trading up for him or drafting him in the first rd.

I think that is more because the giants have not had much talent at TE.

Who is the best receiving TE they have had? Shockey? He went to New Orleans that absolutely features TEs and he didnt have any more catches there than he did as a giant.

Add the talent, the giants will utilize him.

TEs would be extremely valuable against the eagles. Eagles have a lot of talent at CB, but have issues at both LB and S. Hit them with play action and 2 TE sets and the eagles will have issues

TheEnigma
03-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Dwayne Allen is the only tight end that MIGHT be drafted in the first round, no need to trade up.
Not anymore. He has dropped to the mid 2nd all the way into the 3rd. Fleener is the unanimous #1 TE now.

jhamburg
03-22-2012, 04:54 PM

Todd McShay

This guy is big. This guy is fast. This guy can catch. This guy can run good routes. This guy is the real deal.

Looking at the draft order...most of the teams picking immediately before us don't really need TEs. The latest team that does need one is Broncos at 25, and I wouldn't want to trade up much higher than that. Even if he is high on Reese's board, I think we gamble that he falls to us.

slipknottin
03-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Looking at the draft order...most of the teams picking immediately before us don't really need TEs. The latest team that does need one is Broncos at 25, and I wouldn't want to trade up much higher than that. Even if he is high on Reese's board, I think we gamble that he falls to us.

Other than the patriots, I dont think there is a single team that doesnt need a dynamic TE

GfieldGmen
03-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Still wouldn't draft him. The Giants don't utilize TEs in the passing game enough to warrant trading up for him or drafting him in the first rd.

I think that is more because the giants have not had much talent at TE.

Who is the best receiving TE they have had? Shockey? He went to New Orleans that absolutely features TEs and he didnt have any more catches there than he did as a giant.

Add the talent, the giants will utilize him.

TEs would be extremely valuable against the eagles. Eagles have a lot of talent at CB, but have issues at both LB and S. Hit them with play action and 2 TE sets and the eagles will have issues

This could be true, but I don't see them valuing a TE enough to trade up or draft one in the first rd. If they got one for cheap and he turned out to be a monster then its possible they adjust there scheme to get him the ball. But again I don't feel the Giants are the type of team the feels they need a stud quality TE as they won 2 super bowls without one and like there TEs to be able to block more than anything.

Fleener isn't viewed as a can't miss stud TE worthy of top 15 talent. If he was and he fell then I would think it is more possible that we would take him. Giants would probably favor an all around guy like Allen or look at a guy like Ladarius Green who has all the physical traits but needs to be coached up who will be there in the 3-5th rd.

giantsfan420
03-22-2012, 05:02 PM

Todd McShay

They have a top 5 blocking TE with Bennett now, not to mention, Boss didn't know how to block at all coming out of college and he turned OK, no?

Pope is an awesome coach and whenever you see a guy that's 6'6 that runs 4.55 yards AGAINST the wind you know his a unique athlete and well worth a first rounder.

its moot anyways bc he was used as an inline te. i rarely saw him out of the slot, he most certainly was ur prototypical inline te, he can block but he just isnt great at it.

i along with a couple other posters have been on his wagon for sometime, he'd make out offense indefendable. nicks and cruz out wide, and fleener who can be a possession option or an option to challenge the vertical seam when the opposing safeties align in their two deep shell. we'd be going mario manningwho?

drafting him and signing steve smith if he is healthy would literally make it impossible for teams to defend us, especially when u consider we have bennett.

i pray this happens if it does with eli passing to the open option which every play we'd have at least one, teams would have to sell out to defend the pass which would open up our run game...well we got bennett and fleener has been projected to fall to 32.

and keep in mind both bennett and ballard only have 1 year contracts...

slipknottin
03-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Well they did draft Shockey in the first round... So clearly they value the position.

As for all around guys, most of the guys they draft actually tend to be pretty horrible blockers, both Boss and Shockey couldnt block at all, but Pope taught them how to block, and both became very good blockers.

G-Men4Supes
From Bleacher Report:

The tight end has been jaw-dropping throughout the afternoon. Fleener
skipped out on running at this year's scouting combine after suffering a
sprained ankle, but made the wait well worth it for scouts in
attendance with an "unofficial" 4.45 forty-yard dash, according to Stanford football's Twitter account. (https://twitter.com/#%21/StanfordFball/status/182904250521763840) He then matched it with a 4.5 against the wind. </p>

The
sheer athleticism to go along with an impressive frame (6'6", 247
pounds) erased any doubts and solidified Fleener's status as a
first-round pick and top tight end in the draft. To put it in
perspective, Rob Grownkowski ran a 4.65 with the wind and 4.73 against it at (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/22/coby-fleener-creates-buzz-at-stanford-pro-day/)Arizona (http://bleacherreport.com/arizona-cardinals)'s Pro Day in 2010.
</p>

</p>

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1115732-coby-fleeners-stock-on-the-rise-after-sub-45-forty-yard-dash
</p>
More:

Quarterback Andrew Luck (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6439/andrew-luck) is the headliner at Thursday’s Stanford Pro Day, but tight end Coby Fleener (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7418/coby-fleener) stole the early spotlight by ripping up the track and testing well throughout his workout.</p>

Multiple reports had Fleener running in the mid-4.4s in the forty. ESPN’s Todd McShay had Fleener at 4.45 (https://twitter.com/#%21/McShay13/status/182901613797703680), and so did CBS’ Bruce Feldman (https://twitter.com/#%21/BFeldmanCBS/status/182901691992129538).</p>

Mayock’s stopwatch read 4.51, but it’s still a very fast time for a 6-foot-6, 247-pound human being.</p>

“That is flying at 247,” said Mayock. Mayock also reported that
Fleener had a 37-inch vertical and broad jump north of 10-feet. “They’re
extremely athletic numbers,” Mayock added. “Those are defensive back,
wide receiver-type numbers.”</p>

For comparison, Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5729/rob-gronkowski)
ran 4.65 with the wind and 4.73 against the wind at Arizona’s 2010 Pro
Day. Gronkowski is the same height as Fleener, and 11 pounds heavier.
But Fleener is much faster in a straight line.</p>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/22/coby-fleener-creates-buzz-at-stanford-pro-day/

TheEnigma
Since it's a copycat league, don't rule out the possibility of the 49ers coveting Fleener. You think Gronk and Hernandez are scary? Imagine Davis with Fleener at his full potential...

jhamburg
03-22-2012, 05:15 PM

Other than the patriots, I dont think there is a single team that doesnt need a dynamic TE

Well yeah, every team would love to have 2 top TEs, 3 elite WRs, and 4 great pass rushers, but I'm talking about needs, not wants.

slipknottin
03-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Well yeah, every team would love to have 2 top TEs, 3 elite WRs, and 4 great pass rushers, but I'm talking about needs, not wants.

Eh, I think he may be the BPA for a lot of teams towards the end of the first round.

RoanokeFan
03-22-2012, 05:33 PM

Todd McShay

A lot of media heads have been predicting Fleener will still be on the board at 32.

BlueSanta
03-22-2012, 06:04 PM

Todd McShay

A lot of media heads have been predicting Fleener will still be on the board at 32.

Prior to this pro day, Mayock has been saying that no TE in this draft should go before mid 2nd round.

Im sure that changed somewhat with his pro day, but it could also be a lot less of a bump than people here suggest.

NY4U2
03-22-2012, 06:44 PM
We (Reese) most likely wont trade up. But i beleive we would get him if he was on the board @ 32 bpa but.. out of the current top 32 draftees there are like 5 players i would love to (and 1 prolly will) drop to us and it most likely will happen some team will reach and cause a slide and we could end up with a blue collar OLs (Glen) or run stuffing DTs (Devin Still would be nice lol) Kuechly would be nice (but he's ranked top 10 in the country :( .. Hightower is a "potential" upgrade over Goff (or who ever our MLB is) I like Fleener but at 32 there could be some way better players to choose from he would haveta be graded high on NY draft boards to pick him at 32.

lol which team/teams you think gonna reach or cause a dumpikslide? (Browns and or Miami) lol

Neverend
03-22-2012, 06:45 PM
I don't think the giants should trade up for anyone, period

I'd wait for Fleener to fall into our laps. Kids a stud and in my view will be a top 5 TE early in his NFL career

GameTime
03-22-2012, 06:47 PM
"TE coby Fleener just ran 4.45 40" Todd McShay This guy is big. This guy is fast. This guy can catch. This guy can run good routes. This guy is the real deal.</P>

tnis guy is still on college and is no garauntee...</P>

the Giants have Ballard mending, Pascoe, Hopkins, and Bennet. To trade up is waste....</P>

smashndash715
03-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Stanford's pro day was outside..he ran two 40's one with the wind one against it..with it he ran a 4.51 against it he ran a 4.55..i dk where anyone saw him running a 4.45...he is still fast for his size so thats not really the question..the problem is that he lacks blocking skill and is really just a bigger travis beckum..i dont think he is worth it at 32

slipknottin
03-22-2012, 07:04 PM
the Giants have Ballard mending, Pascoe, Hopkins, and Bennet. To trade up is waste....</P>

Yea, who needs a dynamic TE when you have Pascoe. ???

slipknottin
03-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Stanford's pro day was outside..he ran two 40's one with the wind one against it..with it he ran a 4.51 against it he ran a 4.55..i dk where anyone saw him running a 4.45...he is still fast for his size so thats not really the question..the problem is that he lacks blocking skill and is really just a bigger travis beckum..i dont think he is worth it at 32

McShay had him timed at 4.45. Its all hand times, so there is some variance.

Also had a 37" vert and a broad jump over 10'

Those are numbers better than most of the WRs in the draft posted.

smashndash715
03-22-2012, 07:10 PM

McShay had him timed at 4.45. Its all hand times, so there is some variance.

Also had a 37" vert and a broad jump over 10'

Those are numbers better than most of the WRs in the draft posted.

yea i dont question his athleticism at all..but he cant block which we all know is what giants primarily use te's for..i just dont know if its a good fit for us..especially not in the 1st round

slipknottin
03-22-2012, 07:12 PM
yea i dont question his athleticism at all..but he cant block which we all know is what giants primarily use te's for..i just dont know if its a good fit for us..especially not in the 1st round

Boss and Shockey couldnt block at all when they came into the NFL either

giantsfan420
03-22-2012, 07:14 PM

Yea, who needs a dynamic TE when you have Pascoe. ???

Plus ballard and bennett are only signed for a year. Plus, we carried three tes and use all of them often. Wouldt surprise me in fact im hoping our lb corp is bennett as the everysituation te, and ballard and fleener share the rest of the duties until fleener gets that year under his belt.

Then if bennett has a monster year which id bet money he does, and he prices himself out of our paygrade, then fleener and ballard would still be an awesome te tandem...and if bennett cant be that stand out te but still is a solid one, the tandem would be fleener bennett, and ballard could be our third and still be used.

Edit- and what is this about he cant block? Fleener was an inline te and can block. Hes not some raw never blocks te...standofrd ran a heavy set and he was asked to block all the time. All the scouting reports ive seen say hes an avg blocker with room to improve. Yeah hed need to get better but dont imply something thats not true and say he cant block

NY4U2
03-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Well they did draft Shockey in the first round... So clearly they value the position.

As for all around guys, most of the guys they draft actually tend to be pretty horrible blockers, both Boss and Shockey couldnt block at all, but Pope taught them how to block, and both became very good blockers.

Idk?? Reese didnt draft Shockey...

TheEnigma
03-22-2012, 07:17 PM
"TE coby Fleener just ran 4.45 40" Todd McShay This guy is big. This guy is fast. This guy can catch. This guy can run good routes. This guy is the real deal.</P>

the Giants have Ballard mending, Pascoe, Hopkins, and Bennet. To trade up is waste....</P>Hopkins is just as much of not being a guarantee as Fleener is at this point.

slipknottin
03-22-2012, 07:17 PM
dk??* Reese didnt draft Shockey...

Reese and Accorsi have largely the same draft philosophies, and they still have the same TE coach, Mike Pope. Probably the best in the business.

Harlem2va
03-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Maybe you should review some of the Mock drafts out on the web; you would realize Fleener might be there when we pick at 32 if not then we move forward. When we signed Bennett that put us in the position to draft the whatever, Offensive lineman, LB, WR, TE Reese has several options now.

titwio
03-22-2012, 07:26 PM
I watched the pro day and saw him run...That 4.45 was very generous IMO. I like Fleener a lot but now that the Giants got Bennett I'm not sure they'd take Fleener even if he's there at 32.

During the pro day ESPN interviewed the Colts TE coach and he talked about things he wanted to see with Fleener...It made me wonder if Coby was there at 34 that the Colts might take him as well with Luck. They've lost Clark and maybe Tamme so I could see it. Anyway...I just found that interesting cause I never really put it out as an option for them before today.

NY4U2
03-22-2012, 07:31 PM
dk?? Reese didnt draft Shockey...

Reese and Accorsi have largely the same draft philosophies, and they still have the same TE coach, Mike Pope. Probably the best in the business.

Idk ..I see Reese as a bpa and Accorsi as a need 1rst Reese also makes better picks in the later rounds. And having Pope may be reason enough to draft a lesser known TE. may be why they got Bennet (to lessen the impact) as per the subject if Fleener is bpa they will take him otherwise barring 1 or 2 positions Giants will take bpa

Hooligans
03-22-2012, 07:52 PM

Todd McShay

So what...the Giants will not trade up for some college TE....that would be stupid.

Hooligans
03-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Maybe you should review some of the Mock drafts out on the web; you would realize Fleener might be there when we pick at 32 if not then we move forward. When we signed Bennett that put us in the position to draft the whatever, Offensive lineman, LB, WR, TE Reese has several options now.

If I ever thought the Giant's Managment was looking at all the "experts'" and Fans' mock drafts to get help in the player draft, I would root for another team.

TheEnigma
03-22-2012, 08:11 PM
We should trade all of our draft selections for the rights to Trent Richardson.

BlueBlooded1979
03-22-2012, 08:20 PM

Todd McShay

Picking number 32 is an honor and we should do it with pride.

Unless some bottom feeder wants to trade back into the first round and give up picks.

B&RWarrior
03-22-2012, 08:31 PM
We don't need a TE in the first round. Eli made good use of big slow mediocre TEs like Boss nad Ballard. Our first priority should be a nasty run blocking O-linemen or an ILB. I prefer a big slow way above average run blocking TE. The running game needs to wake up.

embeshAtYa
03-22-2012, 08:52 PM
we just spent money on a te. did you think giants were gona spend money on a te and the guy was just gona be good on sp teams?

GameTime
03-22-2012, 09:02 PM
the Giants have Ballard mending, Pascoe, Hopkins, and Bennet. To trade up is waste....

</P>

Yea, who needs a dynamic TE when you have Pascoe. ???</P>

If Fleener is that dynamic then he will be gone by 32 ...right?....??. Besides why do the Giants need a "dynamic" TE??</P>

Their offense doesnt call for it....never has. Rather see them do something better than a TE that cant block at a first pick.</P>

</P>

GameTime
03-22-2012, 09:04 PM

Hopkins is just as much of not being a guarantee as Fleener is at this point.</P>

yeah...and he is already on the team (PS) and wasn't a first round draft choice.</P>

NYGinIN
03-22-2012, 09:05 PM

What, really? I heard MM went in a club and shot himself in the leg or something and he'll probably have to do some time.

juice33s
03-22-2012, 10:03 PM
the Giants have Ballard mending, Pascoe, Hopkins, and Bennet. To trade up is waste....

</p>

Yea, who needs a dynamic TE when you have Pascoe. ???</p>

If Fleener is that dynamic then he will be gone by 32 ...right?....??. Besides why do the Giants need a "dynamic" TE??</p>

Their offense doesnt call for it....never has.<font size="5"> Rather see them do something better than a TE that cant block at a first pick.</font></p>

</p>
Really don't understand this misconception that Fleener can't block. The guys a 250 pound man beast that out performed Rob Gronkowski in every single combine event while also out benching the 320 pound tackle mike adams by 9 freakin reps.

Watch any tape you want of him and you will see a very good blocker from the TE position...Heres three to get you started
Vs Notre Dame (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZDU-qKMPWg&amp;feature=related)
Vs UCLA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB5ycOzo6ew)
Higlights lowlights vs Oregon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0zEg3H3UNs)

juice33s
03-22-2012, 10:06 PM

</p>

Yea, who needs a dynamic TE when you have Pascoe. ???</p>

If Fleener is that dynamic then he will be gone by 32 ...right?....??. Besides why do the Giants need a "dynamic" TE??</p>

Their offense doesnt call for it....never has.<font size="5"> Rather see them do something better than a TE that cant block at a first pick.</font></p>

</p>

DP

Neverend
03-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Really don't understand this misconception that Fleener can't block. The guys a 250 pound man beast that out performed Rob Gronkowski in every single combine event while also out benching the 320 pound tackle mike adams by 9 freakin reps.

Watch any tape you want of him and you will see a very good blocker from the TE position...Heres two to get you started
Vs UCLA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB5ycOzo6ew)
Higlights lowlights vs Oregon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0zEg3H3UNs)

What a tremendously beautiful back shoulder catch he made against oregon. That pass had some great zip on it too, so that play speaks volumes about Fleener's body adjustment skills/coordination like we saw in his pro day workouts

There are literally no major flaws to his game as a pass catcher. There are some TEs (like dwayne allen or orson charles) that are more quick than fast or like green/egnew that are faster than quick but Coby Fleener is quick AND fast.

I would totally be in favor of trading up for him but thats not really the giants style

Neverend
03-22-2012, 10:15 PM
We don't need a TE in the first round. Eli made good use of big slow mediocre TEs like Boss nad Ballard. Our first priority should be a nasty run blocking O-linemen or an ILB. I prefer a big slow way above average run blocking TE. The running game needs to wake up.

Bennett signed a one year contract and for the most part there are scrubs at TE on the depth chart (pascoe is barely decent and he could have easily not made the team last year). We're taking a flyer on him

Just because they signed Bennett doesnt mean the giants aren't open to taking a TE in the first round. If Fleener is the BPA on their board, they will take him (although i think theres a shot luke keuchly could fall)

rainierjef
03-22-2012, 10:37 PM
1. To say the giants Offense does not utilize the TE to pick on at 32 is
also the same as saying the Giant don't utilize the FB in the
offense...we've never had a really good one to measure what we can do.

think
back to when Shockey was here, eli wasn't in his prime and shockey
always wanted the ball he complained until eli forced the ball his way.

Eli now more seasoned just coming off a almost 5k yard season would dominate with a threat ANY THREAT!!! at TE.

to
sit there and say well we have Beckum, Ballard, Bennett, pascoe and
hopkins... is all the more reason why a TE at 32 is the right choice.

if you say Fleener is not a Blocking TE then you haven't watched tape on him.
peoples argument before today was his forty time and he shut them up.
now its he cant block. he played in a pro-style offense he was an Inline TE that could spread the field.

go
to the draft video room that redeye created and watch whatever tape you
can and even that doesn't tell the whole story of this kids ability.

just
face it yeah we need O-Line i get it but with the best guys gone by mid
20 there is a significant drop of into the second, Fleener at 32 would
be a bpa/need pick and i hope to god it happens.

Spizi
03-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Fleener is such a tempting prospect at 32, but as many people have said, the Giants don't utilize TEs enough to call for an elite player at the position.

We just signed Bennett who I believe will have a major impact this year. I mean look how much of an impact Ballard had with his mediocre 4.8 speed. Bennett is a 4.6 guy and with that athleticism he could do some real damage.

I absolutely believe the Giants should and will draft a TE in this years draft, but it should not be before round 3. A project TE like James Hanna would be outstanding in round 5. He is an athletic freak and could easily become Jimmy Graham 2.0 with Eli at the helm.

nygfan0816
03-22-2012, 11:27 PM
if fleener is available at 32, no reason we shouldnt take him, guy is a potential beast.

out TE situation isnt very good. ballard is coming back from an acl tear, who knows how good he'll be, same with beckum.

bennett only has a 1 year deal, i dont see him coming back for a 2nd.

who knows what hopkins is?

this guy can be real, real good and i hope he's available when we pick and that we take him.

slipknottin
03-23-2012, 01:23 AM
Besides why do the Giants need a "dynamic" TE??</P>

Their offense doesnt call for it....never has.

I just dont understand this logic. How do you reason the giants offense doesnt call for it? Because they dont already have a dynamic TE?

This offense has been forcing late round draft picks and undrafted guys into 500+ yard receiving TEs. Sounds like the TE plays a pretty big role to me. Add a more superior talent at TE, and the offense would utilize the position even more.

Kruunch
03-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Besides why do the Giants need a "dynamic" TE??</P>

Their offense doesnt call for it....never has.

I just dont understand this logic. How do you reason the giants offense doesnt call for it? Because they dont already have a dynamic TE?

This offense has been forcing late round draft picks and undrafted guys into 500+ yard receiving TEs. Sounds like the TE plays a pretty big role to me. Add a more superior talent at TE, and the offense would utilize the position even more.

+1

Obviously the Giants would like to have a play making TE .... ala the Beckum pick in 2009 ... they just haven't found him yet.

I could see the Giants taking Fleener, but not trading up for him (especially based on a Pro Day).

But I don't think we're going TE in the first round now having signed Bennett. Even on a one year contract, it won't make the Giants go for a less than critical position in the first without it being a probable home run (imo).

GameTime
03-23-2012, 08:26 AM
Besides why do the Giants need a "dynamic" TE??

</P>

Their offense doesnt call for it....never has. I just dont understand this logic. How do you reason the giants offense doesnt call for it? Because they dont already have a dynamic TE? This offense has been forcing late round draft picks and undrafted guys into 500+ yard receiving TEs. Sounds like the TE plays a pretty big role to me. Add a more superior talent at TE, and the offense would utilize the position even more.

point is...... not thatthey dont want one but that they wont waste a 1st rounder on it nor should they at this point in time.

can you understand that logic.....</P>

nycsportzfan
03-23-2012, 08:35 AM
"TE coby Fleener just ran 4.45 40" Todd McShay This guy is big. This guy is fast. This guy can catch. This guy can run good routes. This guy is the real deal. I'm sure Fleener is gonna be considered, but i can't see Reese trading valuable picks, for a TE.. Reese has been very good at drafting and has been seeing what some of these draft picks outside of the 1st rd can do for u, and i just don't think at this point in time, he's in the mindset of trading picks, unless someone like Luke Kuechly or something fell to the 20's or something, and even then i dont know.. </P>

I could see Reese just moving on with his big board if Fleener were to go off the board before we pick, and not even think twice.. </P>

GameTime
03-23-2012, 08:37 AM

</P>

Their offense doesnt call for it....never has. I just dont understand this logic. How do you reason the giants offense doesnt call for it? Because they dont already have a dynamic TE? This offense has been forcing late round draft picks and undrafted guys into 500+ yard receiving TEs. Sounds like the TE plays a pretty big role to me. Add a more superior talent at TE, and the offense would utilize the position even more. +1 Obviously the Giants would like to have a play making TE ....<FONT color=#000080 size=4> ala the Beckum pick in 2009</FONT> ... they just haven't found him yet. I could see the Giants taking Fleener, but not trading up for him (especially based on a Pro Day). But I don't think we're going TE in the first round now having signed Bennett. Even on a one year contract, it won't make the Giants go for a less than critical position in the first without it being a probable home run (imo).

3rd rounder.....not first. </P>

slipknottin
03-23-2012, 10:18 AM
point is...... not that*they dont want one but that they wont waste a 1st rounder on it nor should they at this point in time.

can you understand that logic.....</P>

I dont see how it would be "wasting" a pick to bring in a player that could make the offense dramatically better.

And they have spent a first round pick on a dynamic TE before... Shockey. The value hasent been there for them in the draft since.

Kruunch
03-23-2012, 10:48 AM

</P>

Their offense doesnt call for it....never has. I just dont understand this logic. How do you reason the giants offense doesnt call for it? Because they dont already have a dynamic TE? This offense has been forcing late round draft picks and undrafted guys into 500+ yard receiving TEs. Sounds like the TE plays a pretty big role to me. Add a more superior talent at TE, and the offense would utilize the position even more. +1 Obviously the Giants would like to have a play making TE ....<FONT color=#000080 size=4> ala the Beckum pick in 2009</FONT> ... they just haven't found him yet. I could see the Giants taking Fleener, but not trading up for him (especially based on a Pro Day). But I don't think we're going TE in the first round now having signed Bennett. Even on a one year contract, it won't make the Giants go for a less than critical position in the first without it being a probable home run (imo).

3rd rounder.....not first. </P>

The point is that the style of TE was/is on their radar and they were willing to use a high draft pick on it.

I don't think this draft has the type of TE we'd gamble a #1 pick on (Fleener is good but he's not Jimmy Graham or Gronkowski imo).

I think we go TE in the 3rd or 4th rounds personally. But I would be very happy if we took Fleener in the first (he was my first round pick in my original mocks).