PDA

View Full Version : Fleener runs a 4.45 at pro day

Neverend
03-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Thats freaking incredible and one of the best times youve seen this offseason. And his 37 inch vertical would've been the best at the combine as well

This 40 tells me he probably would've ran in the 4.5 range at the combine, which is still very good

gmen0820
03-22-2012, 02:53 PM
Probably just put himself in the mid 20s. Possibly the Ravens.

Kruunch
03-22-2012, 02:53 PM
Thats freaking incredible and one of the best times youve seen this offseason. And his 37 inch vertical would've been the best at the combine as well

This 40 tells me he probably would've ran in the 4.5 range at the combine, which is still very good

He's already jumped ahead of Allen as the #1 TE in the draft this year.

I highly doubt we take him in the first however since signing Bennet.

TheEnigma
03-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Probably just put himself in the mid 20s. Possibly the Ravens.Or the Broncos who have crap at TE. I'll be surprised if he drops down to us now.

PIERCEnumber58rules
03-22-2012, 02:58 PM
I don't trust any of these pro day numbers. I've heard too many stories about 39.5 yard tracks that are slightly downhill, 44 lb barbells for bench press, etc. That said, I do like Fleener and wouldn't mind picking him at 32. Not sure if he's first round talent; the experts say he is not.

gmen0820
03-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Probably just put himself in the mid 20s. Possibly the Ravens.Or the Broncos who have crap at TE. I'll be surprised if he drops down to us now.1100 yards and 12 TDs if he goes to the Broncos.

Kruunch
03-22-2012, 03:04 PM
I don't trust any of these pro day numbers. I've heard too many stories about 39.5 yard tracks that are slightly downhill, 44 lb barbells for bench press, etc. That said, I do like Fleener and wouldn't mind picking him at 32. Not sure if he's first round talent; the experts say he is not.

Generally the accepted practice is to average the Combine and Pro Day numbers (is also why a lot of players skip the Combine with "injuries").

I still don't think Fleener goes in the first (although the Ravens does make a lot of sense).

Broncos are possibly signing Tamme.

GMENAGAIN
03-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Thats freaking incredible and one of the best times youve seen this offseason. And his 37 inch vertical would've been the best at the combine as well This 40 tells me he probably would've ran in the 4.5 range at the combine, which is still very good He's already jumped ahead of Allen as the #1 TE in the draft this year. I highly doubt we take him in the first however since signing Bennet.</P>

I don't think that signing Bennett factors into whether we draft Fleener . . . we only signed Bennett for a year.</P>

I think that if JR thinks that Fleeneris the BPA at 32, he will take him. </P>

PIERCEnumber58rules
03-22-2012, 03:27 PM

Generally the accepted practice is to average the Combine and Pro Day numbers (is also why a lot of players skip the Combine with "injuries").

I still don't think Fleener goes in the first (although the Ravens does make a lot of sense).

Yea, I go by Combine numbers primarily. If Fleener ran a 4.45 40 at his pro day, he's probably more like a 4.6-4.69 which still isn't bad. Mayock isn't too impressed with any of these TE's, and he doesn't think any are first round talent. He likes Fleener, Allen, and Charles all in the second round. Maybe we can trade our #1 and move back in the second. That way, if we do pick Fleener, the value will match the pick. BPA all the way!

Kruunch
03-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Thats freaking incredible and one of the best times youve seen this offseason. And his 37 inch vertical would've been the best at the combine as well This 40 tells me he probably would've ran in the 4.5 range at the combine, which is still very good He's already jumped ahead of Allen as the #1 TE in the draft this year. I highly doubt we take him in the first however since signing Bennet.</P>

I don't think that signing Bennett factors into whether we draft Fleener . . . we only signed Bennett for a year.</P>

I think that if JR thinks that Fleener*is the BPA at 32, he will take him.* *</P>

Nah ... i think it definitely effects *where* we draft a TE (considering our lack of high round TEs up until now under Reese).

Having said that, I think that takes Fleener right off our boards.

Caveat: The above is with the understanding I don't have a clue what Reese is thinking or where he's rated Fleener or anyone else.

Kruunch
03-22-2012, 03:35 PM

Yea, I go by Combine numbers primarily. If Fleener ran a 4.45 40 at his pro day, he's probably more like a 4.6-4.69 which still isn't bad. Mayock isn't too impressed with any of these TE's, and he doesn't think any are first round talent. He likes Fleener, Allen, and Charles all in the second round. Maybe we can trade our #1 and move back in the second. That way, if we do pick Fleener, the value will match the pick. BPA all the way!

The last time we traded out of the first round was in 1975 when we traded our first round pick (2nd overall) for Craig Morton.

The Cowboys chose Randy White.

PIERCEnumber58rules
03-22-2012, 03:51 PM

The last time we traded out of the first round was in 1975 when we traded our first round pick (2nd overall) for Craig Morton.

The Cowboys chose Randy White.

Yea. LOL. I don't see it happening either. It would appear Reese isn't one for moving.

NYGJayPro81
03-22-2012, 03:51 PM
I think he's definitely going to go mid first round after his performance today...I would love to have him on the roster.

slipknottin
03-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Not surprising, I thought he was a low 4.5 or high 4.4 guy on tape.

Hes a hell of a talent, certainly has the frame to put on another 15 or so pounds, get himself up to the 260-265 range.

He has the willingness to be a good blocker, just needs to add strength and a ton of technique work

slipknottin
03-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Thought Id just post this quick.

Manningham vs. Fleener at their pro days

Manningham 40 - 4.42
Fleener 40 - 4.45

Manningham vert - 35"
Fleener vert - 37"

And Fleener is 6" taller and 60 pounds heavier

DownWitJPP
03-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Giants TE coach Mike Pope at Stanford Pro Day today to check out TE Coby Fleener

I don't think we should take a TE in the 1st. But if Pope really likes him maybe we will draft him

rainierjef
03-22-2012, 05:18 PM
I've been saying Fleener was going to impress at this pro day for over a month now. people were saying hes a early second round guy. and that at 32 if hes there we should go with a different choiced pick. this kid will instanlty uprgrade at any value what we have at TE and help the run blocking game... sigh* i think hes unattainable at 32 now hes a mid 20's guy now san fran might take him. **** i really wanted this guy even if he would of ran a 4.7 i would of still wanted him. hes pro ready and fits this scheme perfectly

BlueSanta
03-22-2012, 06:00 PM
I've been saying Fleener was going to impress at this pro day for over a month now. people were saying hes a early second round guy. and that at 32 if hes there we should go with a different choiced pick. this kid will instanlty uprgrade at any value what we have at TE and help the run blocking game... sigh* i think hes unattainable at 32 now hes a mid 20's guy now san fran might take him. **** i really wanted this guy even if he would of ran a 4.7 i would of still wanted him. hes pro ready and fits this scheme perfectly

The thing is, if his stock did go up as you suggest it just means another guy who was likely unattainable before is now within reach. So it helps us even if we cant get him.

You never know, maybe his moving up bumps a Devon Still down to us, or a Stephen Hill, or a Rueben Randle, or a Stephen Gilmore, Jerel Worthy, Fletcher Cox etc etc.

If Reese would just email me his big board I would know!

GMENAGAIN
03-22-2012, 08:16 PM

The thing is, if his stock did go up as you suggest it just means another guy who was likely unattainable before is now within reach. So it helps us even if we cant get him.

You never know, maybe his moving up bumps a Devon Still down to us, or a Stephen Hill, or a Rueben Randle, or a Stephen Gilmore, Jerel Worthy, Fletcher Cox etc etc.

If Reese would just email me his big board I would know!

</P>

Drafting Stephen Hil has JR written all over it . . . . . </P>

BluGiantPies
03-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Sadly I think hill goes between 17 and 25. Would love to have him though. One thing is for sure were drafting a wide out in the top three who it is I dunno but with our scouts talking to hill, randle, sanu, quick and child's I deff think were taking one. That tells me the front office doesn't think jerrnigan can cut it as the z and I agree with them. I wanna see jerrnigan as our third down back like the Vikings did with harvin or the chiefs do with mccluster I think he would excel in that role and he played some RB in college just like harvin

G-Men Surg.
03-23-2012, 01:28 AM
If Fleener makes it all the way to 32 and Reese and Co. think he is the BPA and draft him so be it BUT if he raises all the way to mid 1st or the 20s its gona create a slide effect of some other goodies all the way down to 32. IMO a win-win situation.

GMENAGAIN
03-23-2012, 06:29 AM
Always have to be wary about players whose draft stock rises when no football is being played . . . .

TuckYou
03-23-2012, 08:02 AM
Fleener runs a 4.45 at pro day.... in his underwear and it was hand timed. </P>

Fleener is probably the best TE this season in the draft, of a weak draft class. </P>

If someone takes him in round 1, its too early.</P>

Kruunch
03-23-2012, 08:03 AM
Always have to be wary about players whose draft stock rises when no football is being played* . . . .

That means we'd have to be wary of every player in the draft whose draft stacking isn't falling .... while no football is being played.

TuckYou
03-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Always have to be wary about players whose draft stock rises when no football is being played . . . .</P>

JPP's stock exploded after he did his backflips. Im willing to bet if he didnt do his combine, he would of been a 2nd or 3rd rounder.</P>

DelawareGiants
03-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Really like this kid and combination of Bennett as a great blocker- I could see alot of 2 TE sets with these two- creates mismatch for any Safety and most LB'ers in this league and could see Fleener exploiting the middle of the field. Not sure he will be there for us in first though. JR will still have lots of options- may even trade down into second round with team hot to pick up someone at the end of 1st round to ensure pick prior to second day of draft. Other options at TE in 2nd could be Allen then who yes did not have the best Combine but still has loads of up side. Egnew might be a great pickup in 3rd or 4th round if Fleener is gone. Lots of options and most likely we see BPA taken.

GMENAGAIN
03-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Always have to be wary about players whose draft stock rises when no football is being played . . . . That means we'd have to be wary of every player in the draft whose draft stacking isn't falling .... while no football is being played.</P>

The fact of the matter is that I don't think that a player's stock rises or falls with the NFL drafters too much based upon what happens after the college football season is over . . . . that's more of a media and a mock drafter thing.</P>

Are there exception to this? Yes -- a guy could have awful interviews,a medical problem or an absolutely horrific workout that could affect his stock in the mind ofNFL teams, but I don't think that a player's stock will rise in NFL circles all that dramatically if he runs a 4.45 when he was expected to run a 4.6 . . . . . . .</P>

GMENAGAIN
03-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Always have to be wary about players whose draft stock rises when no football is being played . . . .</P>

JPP's stock exploded after he did his backflips. Im willing to bet if he didnt do his combine, he would of been a 2nd or 3rd rounder.</P>

</P>

I will bet my right nut that JPP's draft stock did not rise from 2nd/3rd rounder to top 15 pick with with any NFL team based upon his ability to do back flips . . . . . </P>

slipknottin
03-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Fleener runs a 4.45 at pro day.... in his underwear and it was hand timed. </P>

Fleener is probably the best TE this season in the draft, of a weak draft class. </P>

If someone takes him in round 1, its too early.</P>

Fleener was a first round pick long before his proday. It just took the media/fans this long to catch up to what the NFL teams knew.

Same with JPP. He wasent some late riser, teams had him valued as a first round pick for a long time. It was the media and fans that didnt.

wolfie
03-23-2012, 10:22 AM
I would love to get Fleener, but I think he will be gone at 32. Reese likes to take TEs later in the draft, and the TE pick might Paulson from Oregon. Not a star yet, but a hard working, good hands TE.

Kruunch
03-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Always have to be wary about players whose draft stock rises when no football is being played* . . . . That means we'd have to be wary of every player in the draft whose draft stacking isn't falling .... while no football is being played.</P>

The fact of the matter is that I don't think that a player's stock rises or falls with the NFL drafters too much based upon what happens after the college football season is over . . . . that's more of a media and a mock drafter thing.</P>

Are there exception to this?* Yes -- a guy could have awful interviews,*a medical problem or an absolutely horrific workout that could affect his stock in the mind of*NFL teams, but I don't think that a player's stock will rise in NFL circles all that dramatically if he runs a 4.45 when he was expected to run a 4.6 . . . . . . .*</P>

It might not be your opinion but in actuality this happens every year with a lot of players.

Combine 40 yard times have made/brteak draft stocks. I don't agree with the thinking (in that I agree with you) but it does happen.

Stephen Hill was a borderline 4th round prospect after the 2011 bowl games.

He's now a borderline 1st round prospect.

All based on the Combine.

GMENAGAIN
03-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Always have to be wary about players whose draft stock rises when no football is being played . . . . That means we'd have to be wary of every player in the draft whose draft stacking isn't falling .... while no football is being played.</P>

Are there exception to this? Yes -- a guy could have awful interviews,a medical problem or an absolutely horrific workout that could affect his stock in the mind ofNFL teams, but I don't think that a player's stock will rise in NFL circles all that dramatically if he runs a 4.45 when he was expected to run a 4.6 . . . . . . .</P>

It might not be your opinion but in actuality this happens every year with a lot of players. Combine 40 yard times have made/brteak draft stocks. I don't agree with the thinking (in that I agree with you) but it does happen. Stephen Hill was a borderline 4th round prospect after the 2011 bowl games. He's now a borderline 1st round prospect. All based on the Combine.</P>

What are you basing this on? Media projections and mock drafts? Because none of us really know how much these off-season things are affecting evaluations in actual NFL draft rooms. My guess is that there is some effect, but not nearly the effect claimed by the media and/or mock drafts . . . . . </P>

Do you think that Fleener running a 4.45 rather than a 4.6 actually moved him up from a second round pick to a mid first round pick in NFLdraft rooms? My guess is that if heis currently viewed as a mid-first round pick in NFL draft rooms, it is becausehe was viewed that way long before his Pro Day . . . not because he ran .1 second faster than he was projected to run . . . . . </P>

</P>

BlueSanta
03-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Always have to be wary about players whose draft stock rises when no football is being played . . . . That means we'd have to be wary of every player in the draft whose draft stacking isn't falling .... while no football is being played.</p>

The fact of the matter is that I don't think that a player's stock rises or falls with the NFL drafters too much based upon what happens after the college football season is over . . . . that's more of a media and a mock drafter thing.</p>

Are there exception to this? Yes -- a guy could have awful interviews,a medical problem or an absolutely horrific workout that could affect his stock in the mind ofNFL teams, but I don't think that a player's stock will rise in NFL circles all that dramatically if he runs a 4.45 when he was expected to run a 4.6 . . . . . . .</p>

It might not be your opinion but in actuality this happens every year with a lot of players.

Combine 40 yard times have made/brteak draft stocks. I don't agree with the thinking (in that I agree with you) but it does happen.

I do not agree regarding Hill. Saying his 40 is responsible for his rising is just not true.

Actually, it was strongly rumored that Hill would run fast. I believe Mayock even said this. However, it was his entire combine that had jaws dropping. This kid put together 1 of the best combine performances ever. He ran among the top 10 fastest 40's ever. He jumped an astounding 39 inches, remarkable considering his size. He blew away the previous combine record for the 10 yards split, and he jumped the 3rd best broad jump ever.

Certainly, when you consider "explosion" is measured by a combination of broad jump, vertical leap and 10 yard split, you have to come to the conclusion he might be the most explosive athletes ever recorded at the combine. The only other could say was better is Calvin Johnson, and thats not even a given, not when you see how he ran 10 yard split faster than the previous record holder(CJ) by an astounding .2 seconds(that is a HUGE amount for 10 yards, about the same difference between CJ and an Marvin Austin)

Kruunch
03-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Do you think that Fleener running a 4.45 rather than a 4.6 actually moved him up from a second round pick to a mid first round pick in NFL*draft rooms?

Absolutely I do. Fleener was behind Dwayne Allen in TE rankings (and Orson Charles if you go by Mayock) ... which put him as a mid to late 2nd round projection.

After his Pro Day he is now being talked about being not only a first rounder but a MID first rounder? Coincidence?

I mean this happens every year (in both directions) with a ton of players (most in fact). Some of it is fairly righteous (I mean the Combine DOES serve a purpse) but since it's one of the last major measuring sticks before the draft, it tends to sway a lot of draft boards in short order.

Having said that, I can't say that I know what a teams' draft board looks like in January, but I do know that there draft boards change right up to the draft (or at last until after all the Pro Days are done which is essentially the same thing).

Why do you think Pro Days are held in late March, early April?

Kruunch
03-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Always have to be wary about players whose draft stock rises when no football is being played* . . . . That means we'd have to be wary of every player in the draft whose draft stacking isn't falling .... while no football is being played.</p>

The fact of the matter is that I don't think that a player's stock rises or falls with the NFL drafters too much based upon what happens after the college football season is over . . . . that's more of a media and a mock drafter thing.</p>

Are there exception to this?* Yes -- a guy could have awful interviews,*a medical problem or an absolutely horrific workout that could affect his stock in the mind of*NFL teams, but I don't think that a player's stock will rise in NFL circles all that dramatically if he runs a 4.45 when he was expected to run a 4.6 . . . . . . .*</p>

I do not agree regarding Hill. Saying his 40 is responsible for his rising is just not true.

Actually, it was strongly rumored that Hill would run fast. I believe Mayock even said this. However, it was his entire combine that had jaws dropping. This kid put together 1 of the best combine performances ever. He ran among the top 10 fastest 40's ever. He jumped an astounding 39 inches, remarkable considering his size. He blew away the previous combine record for the 10 yards split, and he jumped the 3rd best broad jump ever.

Certainly, when you consider "explosion" is measured by a combination of broad jump, vertical leap and 10 yard split, you have to come to the conclusion he might be the most explosive athletes ever recorded at the combine. The only other could say was better is Calvin Johnson, and thats not even a given, not when you see how he ran 10 yard split faster than the previous record holder(CJ)* by an astounding .2 seconds(that is a HUGE amount for 10 yards, about the same difference between CJ and an Marvin Austin)

You really think a receiver in a triple opton offense that had 49 receptions in his whole college career was talked about as being a first round talent?

Prior to the Combine, he was projected as going anywhere from the late 2nd round to the 4th round.

Now he's a borderline first round pick since the Combine.

The majority of which was based around his 40 time (plenty of teams draft one route receivers early).

Having said that, while Stephen Hill has all the measurables in the world, he has only mediocre hands (big part of why he was a 4th round prospect a few weeks ago).

P.S. - How did that amazing split work out for CJ? Lol.

slipknottin
03-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Absolutely I do. Fleener was behind Dwayne Allen in TE rankings

By fans and the media, NFL teams have had Fleener as the #1 TE for awhile.

It takes the public awhile to catch up to what NFL teams think.

There really is no such thing as a late riser/faller, other than for medical reasons or off the field stuff that happens.

Whenever a media guy says he is rising or falling it really just means they are aligning their opinion to what NFL teams already know.

BlueSanta
03-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Always have to be wary about players whose draft stock rises when no football is being played . . . . That means we'd have to be wary of every player in the draft whose draft stacking isn't falling .... while no football is being played.</p>

Are there exception to this? Yes -- a guy could have awful interviews,a medical problem or an absolutely horrific workout that could affect his stock in the mind ofNFL teams, but I don't think that a player's stock will rise in NFL circles all that dramatically if he runs a 4.45 when he was expected to run a 4.6 . . . . . . .</p>

Certainly, when you consider "explosion" is measured by a combination of broad jump, vertical leap and 10 yard split, you have to come to the conclusion he might be the most explosive athletes ever recorded at the combine. The only other could say was better is Calvin Johnson, and thats not even a given, not when you see how he ran 10 yard split faster than the previous record holder(CJ) by an astounding .2 seconds(that is a HUGE amount for 10 yards, about the same difference between CJ and an Marvin Austin)

You really think a receiver in a triple opton offense that had 49 receptions in his whole college career was talked about as being a first round talent?

Did I say that? I said the 40 wasnt the only reason he was now a 1st rounder as you imply. My point, which I made quite clearly if you bothered to read, was that it was the fact that he not only ran a good 40 but he perhaps had the best total combine show of athleticism ever, or at least a top 2 showing.

P.S. - How did that amazing split work out for CJ? Lol.

LOL youself by "CJ" I meant CHRIS JOHNSON, not CJ Spiller. So, answer your own question please...how did that 10 yard split, which Stephen hill demolished by .2 seconds, work out for Chris Johnson?

You just owned yourself because you didnt do your homework.

B-Red22
03-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Sadly I think hill goes between 17 and 25. Would love to have him though. One thing is for sure were drafting a wide out in the top three who it is I dunno but with our scouts talking to hill, randle, sanu, quick and child's I deff think were taking one. That tells me the front office doesn't think jerrnigan can cut it as the z and I agree with them. I wanna see jerrnigan as our third down back like the Vikings did with harvin or the chiefs do with mccluster I think he would excel in that role and he played some RB in college just like harvin
for sure spending a 1-3 round pick on a WR??
you wanna bet on that?