PDA

View Full Version : When being balanced fails.

Coach Carter
12-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Sunday Night Game EDIT.
4th quarter

Jacobs is gashing the Cowboys for 100 yards, Gilbride takes him out and goes shotgun all pass!! What happens, the predictable screen pass get intercepted.

Eli will get his 5,000yds but we won't make the playoffs.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Many of the posters on these message boards love that Gilbride is balanced. However, I don't like it. If the run is working - and it has not worked much this season - there is no reason to pass unless the opposing team sells out to stop the run.

Last week against the Packers Jacobs had back-to-back runs of over ten yards and on the following play instead of running the ball again, Gilbride calls a max-protect play-action pass trying to hit the deep ball. No one was open and Eli got pressure up the middle, he tried to dump the ball off the Bradshaw and Matthews picked off the pass for a touchdown.

If I'm getting 10yds a pop on the run, I don't stop running the ball. Gilbride is a good offensive coordinator but I would love if someone like Marty Schottenheimer was the head coach to force Gilbride to run the ball more often.

Redeyejedi
12-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Many of the posters on these message boards love that Gilbride is balanced. However, I don't like it. If the run is working - and it has not worked much this season - there is no reason to pass unless the opposing team sells out to stop the run.

Last week against the Packers Jacobs had back-to-back runs of over ten yards and on the following play instead of running the ball again, Gilbride calls a max-protect play-action pass trying to hit the deep ball. No one was open and Eli got pressure up the middle, he tried to dump the ball off the Bradshaw and Matthews picked off the pass for a touchdown.

If I'm getting 10yds a pop on the run, I don't stop running the ball. Gilbride is a good offensive coordinator but I would love if someone like Marty Schottenheimer was the head coach to force Gilbride to run the ball more often.
How many big plays down the field did the Giants hit on the Packers.I dont see how U can say going deep against the Packers isnt the right thing to do.

GameTime
12-08-2011, 10:20 AM

</P>

Balance is about an enitire game plan not within a series. KG has always been more on the passing side as we know. I thought the game plan vs the Pack was good. There were a few plays that I wish they went for the first down instead of a long pass. </P>

Marty Shottenheimer??....please.....Never ever want to see him as a NYG coach.</P>

Also the Giants have tried to run the ball alot this season even when their running game has sucked. They have stuck with it and some how Eli is still able to utilize the PA with no running game. </P>

</P>

Coach Carter
12-08-2011, 12:00 PM

</p>

Balance is about an enitire game plan not within a series. KG has always been more on the passing side as we know. I thought the game plan vs the Pack was good. There were a few plays that I wish they went for the first down instead of a long pass. </p>

Marty Shottenheimer??....please.....Never ever want to see him as a NYG coach.</p>

Also the Giants have tried to run the ball alot this season even when their running game has sucked. They have stuck with it and some how Eli is still able to utilize the PA with no running game. </p>

</p>

The running game with Jacobs was working vs the Packers. As Charles Oakley used to say, "if it ain't broke, don't break it."

Ruttiger711
12-08-2011, 12:07 PM

</p>

Balance is about an enitire game plan not within a series. KG has always been more on the passing side as we know. I thought the game plan vs the Pack was good. There were a few plays that I wish they went for the first down instead of a long pass. </p>

Marty Shottenheimer??....please.....Never ever want to see him as a NYG coach.</p>

Also the Giants have tried to run the ball alot this season even when their running game has sucked. They have stuck with it and some how Eli is still able to utilize the PA with no running game. </p>

</p>

The running game with Jacobs was working vs the Packers. As Charles Oakley used to say, "if it ain't broke, don't break it."

Have to agree - they went away from Jacobs as if he was getting 1 -2 yard carries. Running like that eats up clock and just keeps Rodgers off the field.

GameTime
12-08-2011, 12:31 PM

</P>

Balance is about an enitire game plan not within a series. KG has always been more on the passing side as we know. I thought the game plan vs the Pack was good. There were a few plays that I wish they went for the first down instead of a long pass. </P>

Marty Shottenheimer??....please.....Never ever want to see him as a NYG coach.</P>

Also the Giants have tried to run the ball alot this season even when their running game has sucked. They have stuck with it and some how Eli is still able to utilize the PA with no running game. </P>

</P>

</P>

the Giants ran for hundred yards. Jacobs ran for a TD. The passing game was killing....</P>

whats the problem???</P>

Mercury
12-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Hopefully, they will stick with the run more when we play GB in January.

Coach Carter
12-08-2011, 12:48 PM

God I hope that is true, Eli is playing well enough to get us there but the defense just stinks (injuries noted). Even is Osi can Phillips come back and Boley gets back to form, we don't have enough corner backs to compete with the five wide teams. I expect the young linebackers to drastically improve by the end of the regular season.

GameTime
12-08-2011, 12:53 PM
</P>

what if the running game still sucks if they are fortunate enough to get to games in january??</P>

They are using the running game for waht it worth right now. Last week was the first week it even looked respectable. They will try it more this week. They will go from week to week to see how it progresses.....or not.</P>

Coach Carter
12-08-2011, 12:57 PM

</p>

</p>

</p>

the Giants ran for hundred yards. Jacobs ran for a TD. The passing game was killing....</p>

whats the problem???</p>

1. Running the ball shortens the game
2. Running the ball keeps Rogers and that explosive offense off of the field
3. Running the ball rests the defense
4. Running the ball tires the opposing team's defense
5. Running the ball decreases the chances of turnovers
6. Running the ball decrease the effectiveness of the opposing team's pass rush
7. Running the ball increases the chance of injuries on the opposing team's defense
8. Running the ball opens up the passing game
9. Running the ball is a form of intimidation and bullying, it is aggressive football
10. Running the ball consistently opens up big plays for your offense in the fourth quarter, no one wants to tackle Brandon Jacobs 20+ times during a game - ask Rodney Harrison in 2007

Shall I go on?

hadenough
12-08-2011, 01:02 PM

If I'm getting 10yds a pop on the run, I don't stop running the ball.* Gilbride is a good offensive coordinator but I would love if someone like Marty Schottenheimer was the head coach to force Gilbride to run the ball more often.

That's part of the reason the blew the playoff game to the eagles a few years back. Windy day...Jacobs is getting like 6 yards a carry and Gilbride gave him the ball 15 times or something. Do it until they stop it. Then when they stop it...exploit whatever area the defense adjusted at. Jacobs should have had 30 carries that day and the Giants probably would have won.

Coach Carter
12-08-2011, 01:14 PM

That's part of the reason the blew the playoff game to the eagles a few years back. Windy day...Jacobs is getting like 6 yards a carry and Gilbride gave him the ball 15 times or something. Do it until they stop it. Then when they stop it...exploit whatever area the defense adjusted at. Jacobs should have had 30 carries that day and the Giants probably would have won.

Thank you, I remember Cofield or one of the d-tackles forced a turnover in Philly's endzone and the Giants ran the ball with Jacobs for 5 yds, then after that it all pass.

Gilbride is a run and shoot guy. People forget that the Houston Oilers had a 1,000yd back with Gilbride there, but you would not call the Oilers a running team.

Gianthunter
12-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Your never goimg to beat a quick strike gunslinger like Rodgers without score lots of scores. Like the scores you can put against a secondary that begs to be thrown against.

BlueSanta
12-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Your never goimg to beat a quick strike gunslinger like Rodgers without score lots of scores. Like the scores you can put against a secondary that begs to be thrown against.

Really? So keeping the ball away from a high powered offense doesnt work? Damn someone get on the phone and call 1990, Bill Parcells might want to know this before going up against the bills.

Gianthunter
12-08-2011, 02:15 PM

Really? So keeping the ball away from a high powered offense doesnt work? Damn someone get on the phone and call 1990, Bill Parcells might want to know this before going up against the bills.
The Giants run game was NEVER going to keep Rodgers off the field longenough to prevent him from throwing scores. Few if any have.

BlueSanta
12-08-2011, 02:33 PM

The Giants run game was NEVER going to keep Rodgers off the field longenough to prevent him from throwing scores. Few if any have.

But, thats not what you said.

You said the way to beat a quick score offense is with a lot of quick scores. Utter nonsense.

Redeyejedi
12-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Maybe the running game was working because the Packer defense was getting shredded down the field.The Giants had already hit them for 2 huge gains in the passing game.Hard to creep safeties up when WR's are blowing by u down the field.

Gianthunter
12-08-2011, 02:56 PM

But, thats not what you said.

You said the way to beat a quick score offense is with a lot of quick scores. Utter nonsense.
Funny thing that "utter nonsense" kept the Giants in the game. And nowhere was the statement "quick scores" used in reference to the Giants.

GameTime
12-08-2011, 03:02 PM

</P>

</P>

</P>

the Giants ran for hundred yards. Jacobs ran for a TD. The passing game was killing....</P>

whats the problem???</P>

7. Running the ball increases the chance of injuries on the opposing team's defense
9. Running the ball is a form of intimidation and bullying, it is aggressive football
10. Running the ball consistently opens up big plays for your offense in the fourth quarter, no one wants to tackle Brandon Jacobs 20+ times during a game - ask Rodney Harrison in 2007

Shall I go on?
</P>

No please dont go on...</P>

I well aware of what A GOOD running game does..........</P>

so the Giants had some good runs.....overall their run game still blows....</P>

and if you still think Jacobs is a good consistent runner then I cant help you there....</P>

the Giants lost by three points which had nothing to do with them running the ball. As a matter of fact the reason it was so close was because the passing game was kicking *** an there were a few blown calls. Oh yeah.....the defense let the Packesr cover almost 70 yards in about 45 seconds.....</P>

Coach Carter
12-08-2011, 03:14 PM

I was going to say the same thing, Giants had the ball for 42 minutes that game, the Bills had more talent but no time.

Coach Carter
12-08-2011, 03:18 PM

</p>

</p>

</p>

the Giants ran for hundred yards. Jacobs ran for a TD. The passing game was killing....</p>

whats the problem???</p>

Shall I go on?
</p>

No please dont go on...</p>

I well aware of what A GOOD running game does..........</p>

so the Giants had some good runs.....overall their run game still blows....</p>

and if you still think Jacobs is a good consistent runner then I cant help you there....</p>

the Giants lost by three points which had nothing to do with them running the ball. As a matter of fact the reason it was so close was because the passing game was kicking *** an there were a few blown calls. Oh yeah.....the defense let the Packesr cover almost 70 yards in about 45 seconds.....</p>

You are partially correct, the defense did stink but the offense commit a turnover than was run back for a touchdown on a passing play that occurred after after two running plays of 10yds or more. I'm not saying the Giants didn't need to pass to win, I'm just saying the Giants didn't need to pass at that moment.

If you're getting 10yds a pop, don't stop.

giantsfan420
12-08-2011, 03:49 PM

If I'm getting 10yds a pop on the run, I don't stop running the ball.* Gilbride is a good offensive coordinator but I would love if someone like Marty Schottenheimer was the head coach to force Gilbride to run the ball more often.
</p>

*</p>

</p>

whats the problem???</p>

9. Running the ball is a form of intimidation and bullying,* it is aggressive football

Shall I go on?
</p>

No please dont go on...</p>

I well aware of what A GOOD running game does..........</p>

so the Giants had some good runs.....overall their run game still blows....</p>

and if you still think Jacobs is a good consistent runner then I cant help you there....</p>

the Giants lost by* three points which* had nothing to do with them running the ball. As a matter of fact the reason it was so close was because the passing game was kicking *** an there were a few blown calls. Oh yeah.....the defense let the Packesr cover almost 70 yards in about 45 seconds.....</p>

You are partially correct, the defense did stink but the offense commit a turnover than was run back for a touchdown on a passing play that occurred after after two running plays of 10yds or more. I'm not saying the Giants didn't need to pass to win, I'm just saying the Giants didn't need to pass at that moment.

If you're getting 10yds a pop, don't stop.

i think its unfair to criticize KG for that one int play. when he called the PA that time, it was a good play call. you WANT to call a PA when the run is getting 10 yds a pop bc the Safeties DO HAVE TO creep up. Its like the one time it made sense to call the PA there.

What hurt us was the break for the end of the quarter. Had that play been called while the clock is running and it happens right after a huge run gashs you, i think the safeties would have bit more.

jax5338
12-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Maybe the running game was working because the Packer defense was getting shredded down the field.The Giants had already hit them for 2 huge gains in the passing game.Hard to creep safeties up when WR's are blowing by u down the field.

this. packers were too concerned with getting burned deep a few more times that they couldnt stop the run,

GiantsJersey
12-08-2011, 04:16 PM

im sorry, but that pass play your refering too, nicks had his man beat, the corner bit on the play fake, i was at the game, me and a bunch of people all stood up and yelled nicks, but eli pulled it back.

Coach Carter
12-09-2011, 07:06 AM

im sorry, but that pass play your refering too, nicks had his man beat, the corner bit on the play fake, i was at the game, me and a bunch of people all stood up and yelled nicks, but eli pulled it back.

Ok, so assess blame, Eli effed up TWICE on that play, just say it.

GameTime
12-09-2011, 08:55 AM

</P>

Eli did mess up there. He made a mistake. Does that mean it was the wrong play?? Of course not.</P>

You reel off two good runs and then go play action.....sounds good to me. What if they ran the ball and got stuffed for a 3 yard loss ot a fumble?? Would that have then been the "wrong" play to call??</P>

The Giants picked off Rodgers and converted it to 7 points.....the picks were a wash....</P>

buddy33
12-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Its hard to say they shouldnt have throw it do much, but at the same time it would have been nice to pound the defense with Bradshaw and Jacobs all day.

I think when Green Bay intercepted that ball and took it in for a pick 6 that changed things a bit. It was 10-7 Giants and the defense just help them. If they scored on that drive I think we would have saw more runs especially if they had lets say a 17-7 lead and the defense was playing with more confidence with the lead.

Eh, whatever. I hope they stop losing this week.

Coach Carter
12-09-2011, 12:37 PM

</p>

Eli did mess up there. He made a mistake. Does that mean it was the wrong play?? Of course not.</p>

You reel off two good runs and then go play action.....sounds good to me. What if they ran the ball and got stuffed for a 3 yard loss ot a fumble?? Would that have then been the "wrong" play to call??</p>

The Giants picked off Rodgers and converted it to 7 points.....the picks were a wash....</p>

Come on man, running the ball is less risky than passing the ball, plain and simple. Don't try to play that childish what-if game with me.

GameTime
12-09-2011, 12:48 PM

</P>

Eli did mess up there. He made a mistake. Does that mean it was the wrong play?? Of course not.</P>

You reel off two good runs and then go play action.....sounds good to me. What if they ran the ball and got stuffed for a 3 yard loss ot a fumble?? Would that have then been the "wrong" play to call??</P>

The Giants picked off Rodgers and converted it to 7 points.....the picks were a wash....</P>

Come on man, running the ball is less risky than passing the ball, plain and simple. Don't try to play that childish what-if game with me.

</P>

of course a running play is less risky. I am not playing the "whatif "game. My point is are you complaining because of the play called or the outcome of the play?? Eli hits that dump off to Bradshaw instead of a and they got a first down would have made a thread....about...... "Bad call on the first down dumpoff to Bradshaw". I understand your whole point about they should have run it. But the game is in the first half, they are working a play action off of two good runs, so the play call IMO was fine. You may disagree and thats cool. </P>

</P>

BlueSanta
12-09-2011, 01:42 PM

</p>

Eli did mess up there. He made a mistake. Does that mean it was the wrong play?? Of course not.</p>

You reel off two good runs and then go play action.....sounds good to me. What if they ran the ball and got stuffed for a 3 yard loss ot a fumble?? Would that have then been the "wrong" play to call??</p>

The Giants picked off Rodgers and converted it to 7 points.....the picks were a wash....</p>

</p>

of course a running play is less risky. I am not playing the "whatif "game. My point is are you complaining because of the play called or the outcome of the play?? Eli hits that dump off to Bradshaw instead of a and they got a first down would have made a thread....about...... "Bad call on the first down dumpoff to Bradshaw". I understand your whole point about they should have run it. But the game is in the first half, they are working a play action off of two good runs, so the play call IMO was fine. You may disagree and thats cool. </p>

</p>

Maybe your young and havent experienced what happens to teams who play in Giants stadium late in the year and try to air it out. Or, maybe you just dont remember.

The fact is, year in and year out, we HAVE to run the ball if we want to win games in Giants stadium late in the year. Its a fact. We do not play in a dome and the winds and cold in Giants stadium are amoung the hardest in football.

The history of this franchise is riddled with finness teams trying to come to east Rutherford late in the season and walking away losers.

I do not ask that we be one dimensional. But the stats show Eli is at his best when we have a TE on the field and when we use play action. So, if we are going to pass, do it from our base power offense. The threat of the run HAS to exist even if the run does not. When we empty the backfield and go 4-5 wide the stats are not good for Eli and we have a bad habbit of doing this far too much on 3rd down and 2-4 yards. I believe this isnt Eli's fault, I think it is the design of the offense depending too much on hot routes to outside targets rather than screens, dumpoffs and TE quick hits. Good teams almost always blitz us when we empty the backfield and since ort hot routes are outside wrs, those quick outside throws are what got Eli so many INTs last year and what got GB a defensive score last week.

GameTime
12-09-2011, 02:10 PM

</P>

</P>

of course a running play is less risky. I am not playing the "whatif "game. My point is are you complaining because of the play called or the outcome of the play?? Eli hits that dump off to Bradshaw instead of a and they got a first down would have made a thread....about...... "Bad call on the first down dumpoff to Bradshaw". I understand your whole point about they should have run it. But the game is in the first half, they are working a play action off of two good runs, so the play call IMO was fine. You may disagree and thats cool. </P>

</P>

Maybe your young and havent experienced what happens to teams who play in Giants stadium late in the year and try to air it out. Or, maybe you just dont remember.

The fact is, year in and year out, we HAVE to run the ball if we want to win games in Giants stadium late in the year. Its a fact. We do not play in a dome and the winds and cold in Giants stadium are amoung the hardest in football.

The history of this franchise is riddled with finness teams trying to come to east Rutherford late in the season and walking away losers.

I do not ask that we be one dimensional. But the stats show Eli is at his best when we have a TE on the field and when we use play action. So, if we are going to pass, do it from our base power offense. The threat of the run HAS to exist even if the run does not. When we empty the backfield and go 4-5 wide the stats are not good for Eli and we have a bad habbit of doing this far too much on 3rd down and 2-4 yards. I believe this isnt Eli's fault, I think it is the design of the offense depending too much on hot routes to outside targets rather than screens, dumpoffs and TE quick hits. Good teams almost always blitz us when we empty the backfield and since ort hot routes are outside wrs, those quick outside throws are what got Eli so many INTs last year and what got GB a defensive score last week.

</P>

I am not young and have been a Giants for about 30 years. I am well aware of what the running game means and has meant to successful Giants football whether at home or elsewhere. The thread is about ONE play. Not a philosophy of game planning. The thread was started to aknowledge that the OP didnt like the fact that a pass play was chosen when the Giants had just had two very successeful running plays. Which is fine....CC would have liked to see a pass play there. OK...great.</P>

I saw the play action there as not a big deal and a good call. Eli missed the deep route and threw to the check down, which was not really and outside throw at all. It was a short pass to Bradshaw, who was well inside and not near the side lines,which Matthews read and jumped on. The Giants didnt have an empty backfield eithersince AB was in the game for that play. Oh yeah....the weather was perfect last Sunday afternoon as well. So that arguement is moot for this particular game.. </P>

Once again we are talking about one play in one game not a offensive philosophy. </P>

However I do agree that the Giants need to run the ball more effectivelybut when your running game sucks you will gravitate towrds what is successful and right now the passing game is head and shoulders above the running game. Even with that Eli is still relying on the play action and it is still effective for the Giants offense. </P>

NoHuddle10
12-09-2011, 06:11 PM

</p>

*</p>

</p>

whats the problem???</p>

9. Running the ball is a form of intimidation and bullying,* it is aggressive football

Shall I go on?

Some of you guys are HILARIOUS!!!!!

Our team is ranked 32nd in rushing yards per game!!!!

DEAD LAST!!!!!!

We are ranked 32nd in rushing yards per carry!!!!!

DEAD LAST!!!!!

Anyone on this board that thinks we should be running the ball more has either lost their minds or not watched any of our games this year.

There are 31 other teams in the NFL not including the Giants. 31/31 run the ball better than we do.

Our run game is embarrassing.

Of course we would all love to run the ball more, but we are terrible at it.

Of course a good running game helps you win in the NFL. But not when you are the worst running team in the NFL.

Teams with better running games than us.....

The worst teams in this league, that have no passing game at all, still manage to run the ball better than we do....

Yet some people on this board are actually trying to say we should be running the ball more???????????????????

If anything we need to stop running the ball all together. Stop putting the passing game in positions to fail. Only run when the defense is really on their heals. The only time any defense is really on their heals vs us is when we are passing the ball.

Redeyejedi
12-09-2011, 06:21 PM

</p>

*</p>

</p>

whats the problem???</p>

Shall I go on?

DEAD LAST!!!!!!

DEAD LAST!!!!!

Anyone on this board that thinks we should be running the ball more has either lost their minds or not watched any of our games this year.

There are 31 other teams in the NFL not including the Giants. 31/31 run the ball better than we do.

Of course a good running game helps you win in the NFL. But not when you are the worst running team in the NFL.

The worst teams in this league, that have no passing game at all, still manage to run the ball better than we do....

Yet some people on this board are actually trying to say we should be running the ball more???????????????????

If anything we need to stop running the ball all together. Stop putting the passing game in positions to fail. Only run when the defense is really on their heals. The only time any defense is really on their heals vs us is when we are passing the ball.
I wanted to be a smashmouth team until I realized the Giants Oline was horrible. At this point I dont care if they throw 65% of the time.The only reason the Giants even ran the ball with any success in that game was because they were beating the Packers down the field. i say continue that strategy. The Cowboys secondary sux attack them

keyofgmen
12-09-2011, 06:32 PM
I have always been a run 1st guy..but also feel you have to put the ball in your playmakers hands when it counts.

Guess who that is this year?..HMM

ELI and the passing game.

Garbloz
12-09-2011, 07:08 PM

on the packers game

kg play calling was great and so was our offense's execution of the plays. sure our o had a few mistakes but come on man they scored 35 points. they were almost perfect. our d is to blame and partly the zebras.

get off kg's and the o's back.

Coach Carter
12-10-2011, 04:37 PM

on the packers game

kg play calling was great and so was our offense's execution of the plays. sure our o had a few mistakes but come on man they scored 35 points. they were almost perfect. our d is to blame and partly the zebras.

get off kg's and the o's back.

So you're saying you were upset that a pass play was called after two consecutive runs for first down and the pass play resulted in a pick six?

As badly as the defense played, and it was horrid, they only gave up 31 points, the offense scored 35, the reason why we lost the game was the pick six.

I am just highlighting Gilbride's addiction to the pass. When you're gashing a team with 10yds a pop, you keep gashing them, forget what play is highlighted on your play sheet.

Coach Carter
12-10-2011, 04:42 PM

</p>

</p>

</p>

whats the problem???</p>

Shall I go on?

DEAD LAST!!!!!!

DEAD LAST!!!!!

The problem with stats is it is hard to recognize what will happen next, it just tells you what happened in the past.

Let me clear this up for you, although the Giants running game has been putrid throughout the year, it was working during the game vs the Packers. If the running game is working and Eli does not have to drop back and take an unnecessary hit and possibly commit a turnover, then have Eli turn and hand off the ball.

That is all I am saying.